• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I always figured the old place and here just happened to have a lot of people from the UK and that is why it had a really strong representation in so many EU related threads. I mean even the UK physical sales chart seem to hold much more weight than it should.

I'd love for France to give more than a top 5. Many countries in Europe are poor in giving info.

By the way EU means European Union. Norway Switzerland, Ukraine and many more aren't members but are European countries. Switzerland is slap bang in the middle of western Europe.

Tiamat

Nov 16, 2017
I was talking talking about Japanese anime games in France because It's something important in the French gaming community.( in Spain and Italy too)
Of course AAA games are selling more.
It was just to show that uk is not the european market.
You will see when dragon ball fighter z is released.
Or the next one piece, saint seiya etc..

I was wondering if they will still consider UK as an indication of the European market when the brexit is complete.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Everybody in Germany played Giana Sisters!

It's true though, UK market is almost niche in taste compared to the EU market.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Here in Spain Sega was the shit in the 90s and we made fun of the Nintendo kids without the need of corny commercials. We knew. And the Mega Drive was the Mega Drive, not that weird Genesis thing which was a music band lol

Then we became Sonyland when Sega shat the bed. Though Nintendo has been strong since the GC days once they understood you sell products when you adapt to the target market, oh the genius approach. Seriously, we had OoT in English with a fucking translation guide because they couldn't bother to translate it.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Absolutely, whenever I see old microcomputers like the Spectrum in Switzerland they're like a total oddity. And while SEGA sure had a footing here, especially in the francophone part, it still was mostly Nintendo wich was mostly around until the PSX entered the market.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, bollocks!
Joking aside, I don't really see that much disparity this generation between England and the other major European markets, except Russia maybe (if you treat it as an European market to begin with)

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop thinking that the UK market represents Europe.

This odd thing that americans seems to think that Europe only played Amiga, ZX Spectrum and Amstrad during the nineties is fucking insane. Where does that narrative comes from?
I was listening to the Nintendo Voice chat podcast earlier and one of the guys seriously said that Europe never got the NES, nor the snes...

The NES.
Yes, we also got Mario cereals, and Mario Shampoo, and Mario bedsheets.

No, Gianna Sisters is not bigger than Mario in Europe. Nobody played this trash. Nobody. Except UK. Maybe.
I played games all my life and never heard the name until I started listening to US podcasts 10 years ago.

Why does the UK market still somehow represents Europe, and things like "people don't like rpgs over there, they only play Fifa"?
I feel ya. I always get irrationally mad everytime an American says Mexico is in Central America. Hell, I've heard them say its actually South America! If you're from a country that doesnt speak English chances are the anglo-centric internet doesnt care.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, geography has never been America's strong suit has it? The UK and Europe are massively different markets.

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bit offtopic. But id like to know how switch is doing in Denmark for example. Bergsela who distributes Nintendo in the nordic countries have allways been doing a bad job with marketing. During christmas i didnt see a single Nintendo commercial. And it seems most people dont even know what a switch is here.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
We have a thread about "most important console" where people from the UK are telling everyone that the NES wasn't a thing "in Europe." And that happens in pretty much any discussion about the influence of the NES.

Americans have no idea what the gaming market was like over there, but they didn't come up with the ideas posed in the OP on their own.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This odd thing that americans seems to think that Europe only played Amiga, ZX Spectrum and Amstrad during the nineties is fucking insane. Where does that narrative comes from?
I was listening to the Nintendo Voice chat podcast earlier and one of the guys seriously said that Europe never got the NES, nor the snes...

The NES.

No, Gianna Sisters is not bigger than Mario in Europe. Nobody played this trash. Nobody. Except UK. Maybe.
I played games all my life and never heard the name until I started listening to US podcasts 10 years ago.

Why does the UK market still somehow represents Europe, and things like "people don't like rpgs over there, they only play Fifa"?
Ehh..but even if you take UK aside the fact is computers WERE more popular than consoles in 80s and 90s. NES neve got even remotely close to how big Commodore 64 was in Europe as a whole.
So while yes, Europe did play on SNES, Mega Drive and NES, their impact was nowhere near as big as in USA.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Boy you're so wrong

Crazy Cars 2 and 3, Prehistorik 1 2 3, Fire and Forget 1 and 2 or Titus the fox were great Titus games

Loriciel had amazing games too (Jim Power, L'aigle d'or, Disc, Panza Kick Boxing, Billy la banlieue, etc)

And how could I forget Delphine Software (shame on me)

Sorry but Crazy Cars was terrible imo. I much preferred Lotus Turbo Challenge , Vroom or Continental Circus.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Daemon always does that, Sam too. There's episodes of gamescoop where they talk about the UK like we never had Nintendo until the N64.
We got everything later, but we got it. NES was the 1st console I ever got and didn't have to share.

Oct 29, 2017
Ehh..but even if you take UK aside the fact is computers WERE more popular than consoles in 80s and 90s. NES neve got even remotely close to how big Commodore 64 was in Europe as a whole.
So while yes, Europe did play on SNES, Mega Drive and NES, their impact was nowhere near as big as in USA.
Computers being more important than game consoles is pretty much a constant around the world (after Atari that is). Parents got C64s, kids got NESes.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
We have a thread about "most important console" where people from the UK are telling everyone that the NES wasn't a thing "in Europe." And that happens in pretty much any discussion about the influence of the NES.

Americans have no idea what the gaming market was like over there, but they didn't come up with the ideas posed in the OP on their own.
No you have europeans explaining americans that gaming didn't revolve around Nintendo and that they never saved it. That gaming beyond the NES existed and that it wasn't the be-all, end-all of gaming

Oversimplification led to the op

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Computers being more important than game consoles is pretty much a constant around the world (after Atari that is). Parents got C64s, kids got NESes.
A lot of kids got Commodore64 too. Consoles, especially in poorer countries, were luxury toys. At least with 8-bit computers you could convince your parents that it's educational tool, a tactics successfully employed by millions of game-hungry kids around the world :D

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

The NES.

Um where in Europe are you from because nearly all of your examples are wrong?

The Amiga and Commodore computers had massive popularity through Europe.

Giana Sisters was made and massively popular in Germany, it was not even popular in the UK.

The NES and SNES were massive in the UK also and anyone who says otherwise is wrong. However the Master System and Mega Drive were very popular in Europe as well as the UK and outsold the Nintendo consoles in many European countries.

Also with few exceptions FIFA is now easily outselling PES throughout Europe.

Stiflers Mom

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Well, at least in 80ies Germany that was a very similar situation.

The NES appeared very late here, and Germany was firmly in the grip of homecomputers like (especially) the C64, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, and later on the Atari ST and Commodore Amiga.

That changed around the early 90ies, with the advent of capable PCs and the SNES/Megadrive.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
A lot of kids got Commodore64 too. Consoles, especially in poorer countries, were luxury toys. At least with 8-bit computers you could convince your parents that it's educational tool, a tactics successfully employed by millions of game-hungry kids around the world :D
This. It was certainly much easier to convince my parents in the 80s that we needed a computer (that conveniently had a large range of cheap ÂŁ1.99 games) than that we needed a games console that only played games at ÂŁ40 a go.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ahahe that s so true... :p and it worked, there was a big push by the governments to introduce kids to programming (8bit computers at school, tv programs advertizing the field, etc) since it was thought to be the field of future employment.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Um where in Europe are you from because nearly all of your examples are wrong?

The Amiga and Commodore computers had massive popularity through Europe.

Giana Sisters was made and massively popular in Germany, it was not even popular in the UK.

The NES and SNES were massive in the UK also and anyone who says otherwise is wrong. However the Master System and Mega Drive were very popular in Europe as well as the UK and outsold the Nintendo consoles in many European countries.

Also with few exceptions FIFA is now easily outselling PES throughout Europe.
I think people like to think in binary terms. As you say, just because Nintendo didn't dominate the UK market due to the embedded home computer scene and competition from Sega, doesn't mean they weren't also fairly successful at launch in a contested market against strongly established competition. That's why the playground console warz were so bitter here, and why we had multiple multi-format TV shows with a fair bit of Nintendo coverage.

Also why newsagents were carrying upwards of 20 different gaming magazines at one point here to cater to each individual format as well as the handful of multi-format ones- most children didn't have multiple platforms then and so preferred to buy a magazine that only covered the device they had. I was on good terms with my local newsagent as I did a paper round for him, and would help him put the gaming mags on the shelf. Putting the ones I liked at the front, obviously :D

Last edited:

YuriCloud3

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
yeah, i thought that UK was actually the Europe itself, it's great to know that's actually the other countries are not small parts of UK.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
UK Still represents Europe, even when they are not really part of it anymore. Interesting.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
I think the first four markets in Europe are the UK, France, Germany and Spain.

Italy and Spain are more or less of equal size, IIRC. But I don't have hard numbers right now. Spain overall has a quite smaller market compared to the UK, France and Germany.

That's what happens when you have like half the minimum wage but most stuff costs the same as in those countries.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
i mean....many also seems to think that Asians = chinese/japanese/koreans...

Asia is a big place guys...

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I mean, I'm from the US, but looking at a quick search for sales figures for NES/SNES they were significantly less popular in Europe as a whole than in North America.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I notice this misconception at times too especially when it comes to prices. Often when people mention a EU-wide sale or prices in general they usually only mention them in pounds when actually the majority of the EU uses the Euro. I can see why this misconception exists but I have the feeling in recent years things started to get slightly better and the individual European markets get more recognition and visibility.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I figure it comes down to the English language + the most readily available sales numbers. The UK also has very well-documented and publicized gaming history, not to mention high-profile, global developers like Rare, Rocksteady, Rockstar...

It is silly how people assume the UK is representative of Europe in any industry but at least with video games it sort of makes sense. I think things are changing gradually though, RTS/Simulator fans probably know Germany is where it's at, for example, and Europe's biggest fan events and expos aren't in the UK.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
No you have europeans explaining americans that gaming didn't revolve around Nintendo and that they never saved it. That gaming beyond the NES existed and that it wasn't the be-all, end-all of gaming

Oversimplification led to the op
Yes, oversimplification not just by "dumb Americans," but also the people delivering this information.

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way you wrote this implies the UK never got the NES or SNES when it did along with the Sega Master System and Megadrive. ToysRUs here in the UK had a huge aisle each of NES and Master System games. Every Video tape rent shop had NES and Master System carts to rent. The computers stores had the consoles and personal computers. Magazine shelves in the UK were chock full for Sega and Nintendo mags. What in the hell are you on about?

Exactly what I was going to say. That podcast doesn't know shit about UK OR Europe if that's what they're saying.

The 1990s Nintendo v SEGA console wars actually happened in UK. It was glorious.

Z..

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The only universal truth about retro gaming in Europe as a whole is that PC was king.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017

Well NES, Sega Master System, SNES and Mega Drive were big in the UK. Things is just as popular were home computers and UK even had their own in the Amstrad, Spectrum and BBC micro. UK supported all these plus the C64, Atari and Amiga 500 and Arcade machines at every corner. Like I said previously, the aisles in toys r us UK were huge for NES and SMS with every game available. Video stores everywhere had NES and SMS carts for rent. Magazines racks had tons of mags dedicated to Nes Sega Amiga or multiplatform or consoles.

Really it's just Nintendo didn't dominate UK or Europe like Americans expect, it's a mixed bag of Sega NES and home computers and the more east and south you go the less consoles had an impact and you can trace that even today looking at the markets.

UK has also been the lone major market for video games in Europe up until recent years. Germany is now just as big and ever so slightly bigger. It's taken decades for that to happen. France is still way behind UK/Germany for the population it has and Italy is way behind France which should give you a clue of the history. Europe's countries vary so much from north, south east to west and still do, it's kind of pointless trying to compare Europe to US when only a few countries shared the consumer mentality and interests. Go back to the 80s and 90s we're still talking about countries just falling out of dictatorships.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One myth that I would like expunged is that the SNES failed in the UK and was bitchslapped by the Mega Drive, when there is pretty much zero data to support this. Just some unverified sales figures from two years after the SNES launched which was four years after the Mega Drive launched, which shows the Mega Drive ahead. No shit. And even that source is uncorroborated. All other numbers are Europe wide. And yet people will tell you that the SNES barely existed in the UK simply because they didn't have one personally.