• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No, Gianna Sisters is not bigger than Mario in Europe. Nobody played this trash. Nobody. Except UK. Maybe.
I played games all my life and never heard the name until I started listening to US podcasts 10 years ago.

But I have played both Giana Sisters and Mario Super Mario Bros and I'm from Germany...
It was obviously a clone like Wacky Wheels to Mario Kart but still... I liked it

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your subjective reading of nostalgia levels does not constitute any form of proof. You've got scant evidence for your claims so you're really in no better position than the other chap. I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, it's just unknown - especially when it comes to the SNES. The numbers just don't seem to be out there.

You are quote correct here man, we're all just speaking from memory. Which is why it's weird that Dench is being kinda aggressive about it. Maybe he was a Sega kid, they always were a bit rougher round the edges... (and their houses smelled weird)

Oct 30, 2017
As a person from the UK. SNES was massive here. Competition between up the SNES and Genesis was neck and neck and no one cares for other systems.

As for the generation before SNES I was way too young to remember much but I remember my cousin who owned a Commodore 64, a friend who owned a NES and another friend who owned a Amiga and a family friend who owned a Master System. But for sure SNES, Gameboy were massive successes and Nintendo mindshare was part of my childhood.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's interested in getting a taste of what was happening in the UK in the 80s, here is the UK games chart from 30 years ago

DQ32vZeUMAEyIZ8.jpg

Dench

Nov 26, 2017
Your subjective reading of nostalgia levels does not constitute any form of proof. You've got scant evidence for your claims so you're really in no better position than the other chap. I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, it's just unknown - especially when it comes to the SNES. The numbers just don't seem to be out there.

It's not unknown, that's absurd. But I certainly can't be bothered to look through old scans of MCV to find physical proof.

Perhaps you will find that a useful way to spend your day though.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is a relevant thread with many valid points. For example PC gaming is very popular in Germany, northern and eastern Europe, but if you only followed UK gaming trends you would be completely unaware of that.

It was (is) popular in Spain too, I remember most of my friends having a computer. Usually it was the dad's computer which was used for this though. PC fútbol (an early 90s football manager) was HUGE here.

Oct 30, 2017
If anyone's interested in getting a taste of what was happening in the UK in the 80s, here is the UK games chart from 30 years ago

DQ32vZeUMAEyIZ8.jpg

SNES released in the UK on August 1991. Maybe people are right when it comes to NES. With SNES and Gameboy I disagree, those were huge. N64 was also but obviously PS1 was destroying it but it was the 2nd most popular console. Then of course DS and Wii were massive.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

DQ32vZeUMAEyIZ8.jpg

The vast majority of these games, if not nearly all of them save for the Mircopose games would have been coded in the UK as well (albeit that some of them were conversions of US or Japanese games on other systems e.g. Bubble Bobble)

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not unknown, that's absurd. But I certainly can't be bothered to look through old scans of MCV to find physical proof.

Perhaps you will find that a useful way to spend your day though.

I've done it before. The numbers are Europe wide. At least all the numbers I can find save for the one figure I mentioned earlier. I'm happy to admit that I'm wrong if someone produces the source but I'm hardly going to repeat an exercise I have already carried out purely to defeat my own position. The onus is on you.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a another chart from November 1984, just for fun

DPQ6TlFUQAY2D2U.jpg:large

Jaz Rignall (former writer for pretty much every British games magazine in the 80s and 90s) sometimes posts these on twitter (@jazrignall) if you want more

Frostman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Britain
Also, I don't watch or listen to many US podcasts etc, but most of the time it's embarrassing how uninformed they are on the rest of the world in general. It's a nasty bubble.

Dench

Nov 26, 2017
I've done it before. The numbers are Europe wide. At least all the numbers I can find save for the one figure I mentioned earlier. I'm happy to admit that I'm wrong if someone produces the source but I'm hardly going to repeat an exercise I have already carried out purely to defeat my own position. The onus is on you.

There have never been UK specific figures, you'd have to go through the charts and see what they imply about hardware sales - just as we do today.

Why you think you're right I can't imagine though, it's common knowledge that Sega were always the dominant brand in the UK. But if you want to pretend otherwise based on your schoolyard experiences that's up to you.

JustSomeone

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More like people need to stop taking gaming podcasts seriously

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I had never heard of the Giana Sisters until about the last ten years and I am 35 and from the UK!

I will say that the NES was just part of many options when I was growing up though, I personally had a Master System and a Spectrum 48k.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
SNES released in the UK on August 1991. Maybe people are right when it comes to NES. With SNES and Gameboy I disagree, those were huge. N64 was also but obviously PS1 was destroying it but it was the 2nd most popular console. Then of course DS and Wii were massive.
SNES released in the UK in 1992. And Megadrive had already built up a strong following before its launch. Both SNES and Megadrive also had strong competition from the Amiga at the time of course, and lesser competition from Atari ST. And then there was the CD32 (lol)

I remember Mario being huge on both the Gameboy and the SNES in the UK though, but again this was the early 90s. In the 80s, Mario really wasn't a thing at all in the UK, with Jet Set Willy, Monty Mole and Chuckie Egg being more famous.

DQ32vZeUMAEyIZ8.jpg
I love looking at these, oh how things have changed. Alan Sugar isn't getting much representation on that chart though with only one entry.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There have never been UK specific figures, you'd have to go through the charts and see what they imply about hardware sales - just as we do today.

Why you think you're right I can't imagine though, it's common knowledge that Sega were always the dominant brand in the UK. But if you want to pretend otherwise based on your schoolyard experiences that's up to you.

Common knowledge that appears to be completely unsubstantiated. My position is that we don't know and the evidence for that is that there is no evidence. Your position is that "the SNES was easily eclipsed by the Mega Drive" - and yet the only way you can support this statement is by reference to 'common knowledge' and nostalgia levels which you have somehow measured. It seems to me that you don't have any actual evidence for your claim and yet you insist it is true all the same. And you say that I'm the one with the 'schoolyard' preferences showing...

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I am not sure if this is only a Spain thing or happened in other countries too. But I remember a lot of NES clones back in the day. They were even sold at legit shops, it was not a black market thing. And they were very popular, so I think official sales for NES were severely impacted and are not fully representative of the potential market of Nintendo in Spain.

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Gameboy totally kickstarted Nintendo in Europe from my perspective, yeah the NES existed but I only knew two kids who had em. The hype for the Gameboy was unbelievable. I still remember the day the first kid turned up at school with one, we all gathered round and demanded to play it. Everyone had one for christmas that year. (Except a few Atari ST kids who went and bought LYNXes, the fools!)

I ended up getting consoles because the Amiga just didn't evolve to compete, I bought an A1200 in the hope of renewed excitement but it didn't satisfy the gaming hunger and inevitably a Megadrive and later a SNEZ was purchased.

SNEZ SNEZ SNEZ.

Dench

Nov 26, 2017
Common knowledge that appears to be completely unsubstantiated. My position is that we don't know and the evidence for that is that there is no evidence. Your position is that "the SNES was easily eclipsed by the Mega Drive" - and yet the only way you can support this statement is by reference to 'common knowledge' and nostalgia levels which you have somehow measured. It seems to me that you don't have any actual evidence for your claim and yet you insist it is true all the same. And you say that I'm the one with the 'schoolyard' preferences showing...

That's right... I'm still waging a console war for a company that doesn't make hardware anymore, and for a console I never owned (I had an Amiga not a SNES or Mega Drive).

There is no empirical evidence, as you have been told multiple times by now. If you want to be contrary about it then more fool you.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I remember being an Amiga house at first (this was late '80s, early '90s) but I got a SNES and Gameboy in the early '90s and was a Nintendo fanboy, as most of my friends were. I remember the N64 being a huge deal. Disclaimer: was a RAF brat so lived in communities with lots of Europeans and Americans - I've since met a lot of people my age who growing up were Megadrive kids or didn't really get into gaming until the PSX.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's right... I'm still waging a console war for a company that doesn't make hardware anymore, and for a console I never owned (I had an Amiga not a SNES or Mega Drive).

There is no empirical evidence, as you have been told multiple times by now. If you want to be contrary about it then more fool you.

So there is no evidence? Fine. Let's move on.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles_by_region Master System sold 1.35 million in the UK, Megadrive sold 2.1 million, NES 1.1 million and SNES 1.05 million
Source is the March 1995 issue of Screen Digest

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP is offensive. I lived in Europe and owned an Amiga before a NES, and it certainly wasn't trash.

And Sega was bigger than Nintendo in most European countries in the early 16 bit days, that changed near the end.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'm from the US, but looking at a quick search for sales figures for NES/SNES they were significantly less popular in Europe as a whole than in North America.

NES and SNES were fairly popular, but IIRC the Master System and Mega Drive slightly outsold them both in Europe. Commodore and Amiga were also relatively popular here in Norway, but catered to an older market than Nintendo and Sega did. I think Atari did OK too here, but Spectrum was never really a thing AFAIK.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles_by_region Master System sold 1.35 million in the UK, Megadrive sold 2.1 million, NES 1.1 million and SNES 1.05 million
Source is the March 1995 issue of Screen Digest

Yes that's the one source I mentioned. Annoyingly you can't actually read it (you used to be able to ) but, IIRC that's total sales to the end of 1994. You can see how that is unreliable when the N64 didn't launch until 1997. That's three years sales missing. The Mega Drive had been on the market for twice as long as the SNES by that stage, for several year unopposed in the 16bit console sphere, so it is not surprising that the SNES had some catching up to do. What we don't know is how many were sold in 1996 and particularly in 1995 when you imagine the SNES would have been at its peak.

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know, just posting it for the nostalgia and for people to see what the UK games scene was like at that time

Yeah that's cool. I just didn't want people to see that and think NES was available in UK then but getting wrecked :) NES was about 6 yrs late in the UK.

Gonna have to follow that twitter, I love stuff like this.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So there is no evidence? Fine. Let's move on.

It's history, go look into it.

Yes that's the one source I mentioned. Annoyingly you can't actually read it (you used to be able to ) but, IIRC that's total sales to the end of 1994. You can see how that is unreliable when the N64 didn't launch until 1997. That's three years sales missing. The Mega Drive had been on the market for twice as long as the SNES by that stage, for several year unopposed in the 16bit console sphere, so it is not surprising that the SNES had some catching up to do. What we don't know is how many were sold in 1996 and particularly in 1995 when you imagine the SNES would have been at its peak.

It looks like the old console war still rages.

Nov 11, 2017
Italy
Nes was a success in Europe, and a big one. I live in Italy (31 years old) and at the time (1989-1992) a lot of my friends had NES too.

But it's true that Sony changed everything here.
There is a "pre" and "post-playstation" gaming market in Europe.
Nintendo started to open a lot of national divisions, and to translate games, only after Psx's success (2000-2001).

For example, Ocarina of Time PAL edition only had english and french (not sure about german) and in Italy was distributed by a big toy company called Gig.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's history, go look into it.

It looks like the old console war still rages.

Thanks for the advice. Show me a source that for total sales and I will. Why would anyone put any store in a figure that was published mid-way through the lifetime of the product? Surely that's self-evidently asinine is it not?

Rhaya

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect a lot of it has to do with the fact that most of the people on this forum speak english, and we tend to hear from people who speak the same language as us.

Languages suck.

Well , us Europeans could talk into our native language on this forum ,but i doubt this would solve anything . XD

Oct 25, 2017
The Playstation thing is true. From Americans you sometimes hear that parents called everything a "Nintendo" even if it wasn't. In Germany that was usually a "Playstation", eventhough it was an Xbox or Gamecube or whatever.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There seems to be an EA internal report referenced here https://www./threads/retro-sales-age-thread.981407/page-2#post-153404783 that says the final install base in the UK was Megadrive 4 million, SNES 1.7 Million, unfortunately the links are broken and seems a bit out of whack with the screen digest numbers (which I believe are from gfk chart-track). My anecdotal recollection of the time as a SNES owner myself was that the Megadrive continued to sell well and had very cheap bundles well into the Saturn/PSX/N64 era, whereas all my SNES friends quickly moved on to Playstation shortly after it launched.

EDIT: According to this chart, there weren't enough SNES and Megadrive sales combined to make up for the advantage the Megadrive had at the end of '94, even if you assume every 16 bit sale was a SNES and Megadrive sold 0 https://www./proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FUdx2asj.jpg%2522%255Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FUdx2asj.jpg&hash=5c2fe3863e64f86337a10030e30a426a

Last edited:

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
"A good number"?
I don't even remember the last game that wasn't sold in Germany and was popular elsewhere. What are you talking about?
Can't remember exactly, but a year or two ago there was some mmo in development I was looking forward to. They were releasing globally except for like 14 countries. Among those were Germany and Austria. Maybe it's not much but if you are going to base stats on a country that censors particular games or parts of games you won't have a fair representation imo.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I was listening to the Nintendo Voice chat podcast earlier and one of the guys seriously said that Europe never got the NES, nor the snes...

Isn't Peer Schneider from Germany or was he born in the USA?

In Germany, the C64 and Amiga were really succesful in the 1980s. The NES had not much impact in Germany, but the SNES and Mega Drive (Genesis) were quite popular.

German parents rather bought their kids a PC than a console because you can use a PC for homework, too. But I guess most kids used their PCs only for games and not for school matters. ;-)

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
The Playstation thing is true. From Americans you sometimes hear that parents called everything a "Nintendo" even if it wasn't. In Germany that was usually a "Playstation", eventhough it was an Xbox or Gamecube or whatever.
Eh, that's not really true in France, many people still refer to consoles as "nintendoes" here.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There seems to be an EA internal report referenced here https://www./threads/retro-sales-age-thread.981407/page-2#post-153404783 that says the final install base in the UK was Megadrive 4 million, SNES 1.7 Million, unfortunately the links are broken and seems a bit out of whack with the screen digest numbers (which I believe are from gfk chart-track). My anecdotal recollection of the time as a SNES owner myself was that the Megadrive continued to sell well and had very cheap bundles well into the Saturn/PSX/N64 era, whereas all my SNES friends quickly moved on to Playstation shortly after it launched.

EDIT: According to this chart, there weren't enough SNES and Megadrive sales combined to make up for the advantage the Megadrive had at the end of '94, even if you assume every 16 bit sale was a SNES and Megadrive sold 0 https://www./proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FUdx2asj.jpg%2522%255Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FUdx2asj.jpg&hash=5c2fe3863e64f86337a10030e30a426a

OK now that thread is full of the good stuff. I think those EA estimates are maybe a little high but the Charttrack chart looks pretty conclusive and covers the entire period and I cannot dispute your logic so point cheerfully conceded.

Neogaf looks very different!

Oct 25, 2017
Can't remember exactly, but a year or two ago there was some mmo in development I was looking forward to. They were releasing globally except for like 14 countries. Among those were Germany and Austria. Maybe it's not much but if you are going to base stats on a country that censors particular games or parts of games you won't have a fair representation imo.
Oh boy, this is might get too off-topic, but it also kind of fits the headline lol
Germany doesn't censor any parts of games, game developers and publishers do it themselves, sometimes for no reason. The only thing that might be a problem is Nazi symbolism and mostly because no publisher is willing to go to court over it.
I can't remember a big game not being released in Germany in the last 10 years or so (outside of rights issues like Football Manager).

edit: Oh, Dying Light is actually a more recent example, didn't know that.