• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stitch

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't remember a big game not being released in Germany in the last 10 years or so
Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni didn't get a rating from the USK for some reason.

edit: oh yeah and Criminal Girls 2 too. So instead of violence they now ban waifus.

Last edited:

Meanstreet

Oct 27, 2017
There's no breakdowns or even slightly accurate sales information for either machine sadly.

The closest you can get for Amiga is as follows: http://www.amigahistory.plus.com/sales.html

UK and Germany saw similar sales numbers. I'm surprised the total sales aren't much higher though, given almost every kid at my school (in UK) had an Amiga 500 or above!
The Amiga probably maintained a decent foothold in Germany, considering that Escom bought the brand back in 1995.

Europe as a whole had a great relationship with home computers in the 80s, before the NES even launched. As already mentioned, Great Giana Sisters is from a German developer (Time Warp) and was published by a German software house (Rainbow Arts). Ubi Soft (as it was) got their start publishing computer games in the French market. Their first game, Zombi, was developed for the Amstrad CPC - France's biggest selling home computer at one point. Spain also had a large market with a number of notable developers, including Dinamic and Opera Soft.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
UK is the capital of Europe though.
You mean Belgium is the capital of Europe*!
I remember saying that angered some people during a cultural exchange program saying otherwise for some reason.
* Brussels is considered the de-facto administrative capital of the European Union
The problem is that today we have 3 official sources of video game sales information and they cover Japan, the United States and the United Kingdom.
On Resetera at least, in the PAL charts thread there are a lot of different sources.
Yes some are limited. Like the SELL (based on GFK) only gives the top 5 for France, plus the top 3 for each console.
It's mainly that the discussion is often centered around the UK in that thread (logically).

Should Non-UK European Resetera member be more active as representatives?

Last edited:

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
We just don't have that nationwide, obsessive mainstream Nintendo nostalgia like in Japan and in the US.

Billy323

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but it's all totally wrong. The NES and the SNES were just as popular in the UK as anywhere else in Europe. I am in my 40s so they were my era. No one was playing guarna sisters. If anything it's the US that were more sega bias than Nintendo back in the day

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't, but there is an Anglo-centric view to a lot of the internet, owing to America's overwhelming cultural hegemony which leads to a natural affinity for similar cultures all around (including UK, Australia, Canada, etc.)

Also, pls change the clickbait topic title, thx

Not just that. America basically "started" the internet and people make the same assumption that "North America" markets = USA (and ignore Canada and Mexico).

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Playstation thing is true. From Americans you sometimes hear that parents called everything a "Nintendo" even if it wasn't. In Germany that was usually a "Playstation", eventhough it was an Xbox or Gamecube or whatever.

My parents always called it a "Nintendor". Don't ask me why. It does sound kinda cool though.

There's no doubt the Playstation changed things a lot in Germany too ,as you say, though.

OT: I always just assumed that's just exaggerated internet humour seeping into peoples minds as fact. Like, you'll see somone say "In the UK it was all about the Speccy." as a joke regularly in threads discussing retro gaming and some day it just became fact for some.

Last edited:

Meanstreet

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, that's interesting, I never realised Amstrad ever gained any kind of traction outside the UK
It was marketed under the Schneider brand in Germany, and Amstrad sold a unique model in Spain (the CPC 472) with an additional 8k of (inaccessible) RAM to get around Spain's import duty on home computers without a 'ñ' key.

Amstrad Action (the UK's main CPC magazine, and the first published by Future Publishing) did a couple of features on the French market. Here's one from 1990 - https://mat.tl/ee/aa/AmstradAction056.pdf

Edit - And here's the other one from 1992, https://archive.org/details/amstrad-action-077

Last edited:

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OT: I always just assumed that's just exaggerated internet humour seeping into peoples minds as fact. Like, you'll see somone say "In the UK it was all about the Speccy." as a joke regularly in threads discussing retro gaming and some day it just became fact for some.

Obviously not "all" about the Speccy as the Commodore 64 held it's own too at the same time, but it was insanely popular here, I believe it sold over 5 million units, I don't think people are joking when they reference it's popularity. Look at how many places it's games took up on the software charts I posted on the previous page.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It was marketed under the Schneider brand in Germany, and Amstrad sold a unique model in Spain (the CPC 472) with an additional 8k of (inaccessible) RAM to get around Spain's import duty on home computers without a 'ñ' key.

Amstrad Action (the UK's main CPC magazine, and the first published by Future Publishing) did a couple of features on the French market. Here's one from 1990 - https://mat.tl/ee/aa/AmstradAction056.pdf

Edit - And here's the other one from 1992, https://archive.org/details/amstrad-action-077
That still doesn't make me want to become Alan Sugar's apprentice.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Nes was a success in Europe, and a big one. I live in Italy (31 years old) and at the time (1989-1992) a lot of my friends had NES too.

But it's true that Sony changed everything here.
There is a "pre" and "post-playstation" gaming market in Europe.
Nintendo started to open a lot of national divisions, and to translate games, only after Psx's success (2000-2001).

For example, Ocarina of Time PAL edition only had english and french (not sure about german) and in Italy was distributed by a big toy company called Gig.
Actually, it's because there was something like 3 Nintendo shipping companies in PAL: Nintendo UK, Nintendo France and Nintendo Germany (I guess).
Benelux was handled by Nintendo France (as evidenced by most manuals from that time being in dual language (French/Deutch)).
I think it's around the time Iwata took the head of the company that the consolidation into Nintendo Europe happened

Actually disregard that.
Nintendo of Europe exists since the 90's
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_of_Europe said:
Nintendo of America, the American subsidiary of Nintendo, was the primary market for Nintendo in the late eighties and early nineties. A lawsuit with Atari threatened to bring the entire company down in the United States, and Nintendo realized that they had to direct their stakes elsewhere in the event that this happened. Nintendo had already established a presence in Europe by allowing companies such as Mattel to distribute their products there, though Nintendo felt that it was time to open up their own European subsidiary. The European market was a challenging one due to the various different countries and cultures present there, so they began to enter the different markets gradually. Ron Judy, a prominent member of Nintendo of America, was sent to Paris, France to make this happen. He explained how he and others made Nintendo of America larger than NCL and how he planned to make Nintendo of Europe larger than Nintendo of America.

The gaming industry was shocked to find that Nintendo of America actually won the case with Atari, allowing them to continue with their operations in America. The court case, however, was important in the creation of Nintendo of Europe, which today is one of Nintendo's most important markets. The creation of NoE also led to the establishment of headquarters in other countries such as Australia. Hiroshi Yamauchi was quoted as saying that the world has no borders and that he hoped that one day Nintendo would be present in all countries.

Nintendo of Europe was established in June of 1990. Two years after their conception they released the Super Nintendo Entertainment System throughout Europe. In 1993 Nintendo opened up new subsidiaries in France, the United Kingdom, Spain, and Belgium. In 1997, Nintendo of Europe released the Nintendo 64, which sold 2.3 million units in its first year. 1999 saw the launch of Pokémon in the continent. In 2000 it was announced that Nintendo of the Netherlands would become responsible for both Belgium and the Netherlands, and changed their name to Nintendo Benelux. A year later Nintendo UK opened its doors in Slough, Berkshire. In 2002 Nintendo Italia opened up on the second of January in Milan.

And for Ocarina of time,
I'm pretty sure my cart wasn't like that too

And that seems to confirm that there's only 3 lancguages in OoT

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not just that. America basically "started" the internet and people make the same assumption that "North America" markets = USA (and ignore Canada and Mexico).
As a Canadian, I hate it when a game gets described as "US-only" when it came out in Canada as well. I don't know enough about Mexico because there's so little information available in English.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what you mean here. The UK created the internet, more specifically Tim Berners-Lee did.

I wasn't aware this was a view held here to be honest. Also I lived through the era and never heard of Gianna sisters until the remake last gen but was huge on Mario and Sonic on the NES, SNES and megadrive. The op seems weird to me in some places.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Obviously not "all" about the Speccy as the Commodore 64 held it's own too at the same time, but it was insanely popular here, I believe it sold over 5 million units, I don't think people are joking when they reference it's popularity. Look at how many places it's games took up on the software charts I posted on the previous page.

Oh yes, I wasn't trying to say it wasn't really popular with that, just that hyperbolic statements maybe "take root" in people's heads sometimes when they're repeated enough. Especially if those people aren't really all that interested about the facts.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web, not the internet
My knowledge maybe limited here but is that not the same thing? Or is the internet seen as the websites behind it? It's a semantic difference I guess i'm ignorant about?

Edit: So wikipedia gives me this:

"Many people use the terms Internet and World Wide Web, or just the Web, interchangeably, but the two terms are not synonymous. The World Wide Web is the primary application program that billions of people use on the Internet, and it has changed their lives immeasurably.[56][57] However, the Internet provides many other services."

Which answers that partially I guess XD

audio_delay

Oct 27, 2017
You mean Belgium is the capital of Europe*!
I remember saying that angered some people during a cultural exchange program saying otherwise for some reason.
* Brussels is considered the de-facto administrative capital of the European Union
Is this true ? I always answered with Strasbourg, when people asked me or in quizzes...Now i feel like an idiot

Oct 31, 2017
Italy and Spain are more or less of equal size, IIRC. But I don't have hard numbers right now. Spain overall has a quite smaller market compared to the UK, France and Germany.

That's what happens when you have like half the minimum wage but most stuff costs the same as in those countries.

I think Italy is the 5th one, but I don't remember where I read that.

We have a thread about "most important console" where people from the UK are telling everyone that the NES wasn't a thing "in Europe." And that happens in pretty much any discussion about the influence of the NES.

First time reading this... That's crazy talk :D

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Wrong.gif

You don't want people give facts without be sure and you are doing the same thing.
In SPAIN particularly, the mega drive was far more common, due to its price. In the whole EU the sales figure was almost a draw (estimated 9M vs 9,1M for MD/Snes), but most were in the german area, which apparently was pretty much the Nzone.

But if you have more accurate numbers from SPAIN, I'd be glad to see them and stand corrected.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you mean here. The UK created the internet, more specifically Tim Berners-Lee did.

I wasn't aware this was a view held here to be honest. Also I lived through the era and never heard of Gianna sisters until the remake last gen but was huge on Mario and Sonic on the NES, SNES and megadrive. The op seems weird to me in some places.

Yeah but the first big internet businesses and companies were American, weren't they? AOL, MySpace, LiveJournal, Xanga, Google, Yahoo!, eBay, Amazon, Netscape, Facebook, the biggest parts of the internet. Not British. Hence the quotations around "started."

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Inazuma Eleven was one of the biggest video game IPs in Europe last gen that ignored Britain.

Deleted member 32359

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I agree too. UK has US like tastes while rest of EU has more different tastes (France is almost a little Japan for example, even more regarding animes and manga).

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Facebook is last 10 years but the World Wide Web is not that old in general (30 years), so you're distracting from the point. The web is americanized because its culture was colonized and seeded by Americans.
Fb is nowhere near the 1st of its kind EVEN for Europe, it's giant now and everything but it wasn't a reason why the WWW is seen with a US lens,
it was already like that when fb was made.
It's kinda like arguing your point but with Netflix when that service is mostly new for people in the EU to begin with.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Fb is nowhere near the 1st of its kind EVEN for Europe, it's giant now and everything but it wasn't a reason why the WWW is seen with a US lens,
it was already like that when fb was made.
It's kinda like arguing your point but with Netflix when that service is mostly new for people in the EU to begin with.

I didn't say Facebook was first of its kind, but it's definitely bigger than anything the U.K. ever made from the internet. Most of my list was American companies from the 90s that shaped the internet, and Facebook carried that on and continued to shape and revolutionize starting 10 years ago. You decided to dwell on the fact that Facebook is more recent than the other companies I listed instead of acknowledging what I'm saying. I'm not even going to bother responding to you if you're going to seemingly intentionally misunderstand and distract from my point.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
So true.
I'm French and the French market is so different from the UK actually.
From videogames to books.
I imagine the rest of Europe is no different given my limited knowledge of the German market.

Nov 11, 2017
Italy
Nintendo of Europe exists since the 90's

And for Ocarina of time,
I'm pretty sure my cart wasn't like that too

And that seems to confirm that there's only 3 lancguages in OoT

Yes, I wasn't sure if it was translated also in german, but without doubts it didn't have more than 3 languages.

When I said nationals divisions I didn't intend NoE but, for example, Nintendo Italia/Spain etc...

The first home console PAL Zelda that was translated in more than 3 languages was wind waker.
In italian Tetra was Dazel...

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I didn't say Facebook was first of its kind, but it's definitely bigger than anything the U.K. ever made from the internet. Most of my list was American companies from the 90s that shaped the internet, and Facebook carried that on and continued to shape and revolutionize starting 10 years ago. You decided to dwell on the fact that Facebook is more recent than the other companies I listed instead of acknowledging what I'm saying. I'm not even going to bother responding to you if you're going to seemingly intentionally misunderstand and distract from my point.
I'm saying your point is sound but that example is horrible.
The internet was already well shaped around US culture before Fb and Zuck's company didn't change anything on that front.
The WWW is not more or less US centric because of Facebook.
To go back more on topic, it's like arguing that France is more Japan friendly thanks to Nintendo when Nintendo didn't make it more or less popular.
Manga and Anime publishers did all the heavy lifting before and after.
People don't really care that Mario is from a Japanese company or anything, heck you can barely see the Japanese culture in a product like Mario most of the time.
Sony didn't change much either in that regard too.

The fact that software companies shaped the internet is not really debatable imo and the fact that the biggest software companies hailed from the US is certainly a big part of that (mostly because it's the place where it's probably the easiest to make something and have it up and running in no time, compared to less business friendly companies like France)

Yes, I wasn't sure if it was translated also in german, but without doubts it didn't have more than 3 languages.

When I said nationals divisions I didn't intend NoE but, for example, Nintendo Italia/Spain etc...

The first home console PAL Zelda that was translated in more than 3 languages was wind waker.
In italian Tetra was Dazel...
I knew that OoT was in English but I really don't remember the language select screen.
One thing I can say is that unlike Sony, Nintendo's translation was almost always top notch.
A good comparison would be between FFVII and OoT.
FFVII translation was done by Sony and is one of the worst French translation ever done and based on the English translation (they even forgot to translate a line of text from the english...fun easter egg).
OoT in comparison is pretty flawless and what you would expect from a high production software.
Of course Sony got better at that, stuff like Uncharted have great French translation and some of the best VA.
unrelated but BotW in French is actually much better than the English version...

Last edited:

KnightSword

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What makes you say that? I think a good number of games will not be on the Europe list in that case because of censorship in Germany.

lmao, sure buddy. Why do people post shit like that, even though they have no idea what they're talking about? Reminds me of the good 'ol "germany has electricity?" meme

Sakujou

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm saying your point is sound but that example is horrible.
The internet was already well shaped around US culture before Fb and Zuck's company didn't change anything on that front.
The WWW is not more or less US centric because of Facebook.
To go back more on topic, it's like arguing that France is more Japan friendly thanks to Nintendo when Nintendo didn't make it more or less popular.
Manga and Anime publishers did all the heavy lifting before and after.
People don't really care that Mario is from a Japanese company or anything, heck you can barely see the Japanese culture in a product like Mario most of the time.
Sony didn't change much either in that regard too.

The fact that software companies shaped the internet is not really debatable imo and the fact that the biggest software companies hailed from the US is certainly a big part of that (mostly because it's the place where it's probably the easiest to make something and have it up and running in no time, compared to less business friendly companies like France)

I knew that OoT was in English but I really don't remember the language select screen.
One thing I can say is that unlike Sony, Nintendo's translation was almost always top notch.
A good comparison would be between FFVII and OoT.
FFVII translation was done by Sony and is one of the worst French translation ever done and based on the English translation (they even forgot to translate a line of text from the english...fun easter egg).
OoT in comparison is pretty flawless and what you would expect from a high production software.
Of course Sony got better at that, stuff like Uncharted have great French translation and some of the best VA.
unrelated but BotW in French is actually much better than the English version...

i think ff7 wasnt handled by sony, wasnt it?
i only know that nintendo was pushing a lot when it came to translations, but on the other hand they censored a lot of things too. so many games were simply not released because they were not childfriendly designed.

a german top notch translator who showed up in every manual and every "credit" in snes games was: Claude M. Moyse
he put a lot of dirty jokes into nintendo games which were later removed.

but back to topic:
the german (language) market is by far the largest: (germany, austria, swiss, liechtenstein, small part of belgium and croatia)

i dont know why everyone outside of europe thinks that UK represents europe. uk has become now, unfortunately something on its own. unfortunately they also consider themselves not europeans, never have, never will. i would love to hear grandchildren of my cousin(he lives in the uk) and me(germany) saying we are europeans...

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
i think ff7 wasnt handled by sony, wasnt it?
i only know that nintendo was pushing a lot when it came to translations, but on the other hand they censored a lot of things too. so many games were simply not released because they were not childfriendly designed.
SCEE published FFVII so I'd assume they're the ones who did the translation.
Nintendo really improved circa 94 when they managed to pull off pretty much spotless translations of stuffs like Zelda LA on Gb.
I don't think NoE censored anything, I seem to remember that any censoring was done for the NA market (after all any edit done for censoring was going to be increasingly costly and they may not have had to budget to censor the games more anyway)
a german top notch translator who showed up in every manual and every "credit" in snes games was: Claude M. Moyse
he put a lot of dirty jokes into nintendo games which were later removed.
I heard about these stories, our French translation were a little more pedestrian but they had a lot of charm as well.
Anything was better than whatever the fuck happened with FFVII, VII or IX.
but back to topic:
the german (language) market is by far the largest: (germany, austria, swiss, liechtenstein, small part of belgium and croatia)

i dont know why everyone outside of europe thinks that UK represents europe. uk has become now, unfortunately something on its own. unfortunately they also consider themselves not europeans, never have, never will. i would love to hear grandchildren of my cousin(he lives in the uk) and me(germany) saying we are europeans...
Yeah, the German language market is usually pretty big.
Here's to hoping the UK gets back to its senses, although regardless it's going to be easier to steer the EU without them.

Socrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Giana Sisters
I never thought Giana Sisters was bigger than Mario there, but the idea of that is pretty funny. Maybe I'll just pretend that's the case.

It is just nonsense. I grew up in the 80's. I had an Amiga, my friends had NES, mastersystem, SNES, and mega drive (much less than snes).
I never heard of Gianna sisters until recently. It was not big in the uk.