• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is great!

Anyway, I await the people being more mad at this for the "graffiti or destruction of public / private property" than actual structural violence and racism.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Police believe targeting minor crimes stops violence from happening. So arresting people for shit like graffiti and fare evasion will stop shootings and other violence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

It doesn't work. And it's almost always fucking racist.
lol yeah that doesn't really connect at all. I've known vandals and domestic abusers and I've never seen those lines cross myself. Of course it's possible but it sure as hell isn't solid.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
lol yeah that doesn't really connect at all. I've known vandals and domestic abusers and I've never seen those lines cross myself. Of course it's possible but it sure as hell isn't solid.
It's an extremely reactionary policy that's at most only a short term solution. Violent crime in NYC still plummeted after stop and frisk was ruled unconstitutional.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Deja vu.

Did people get inspired by what's going on in Chile or is this just a well-timed coincidence?

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. So proud of this. And wished I knew about it so I could have gone.

Fuck the NYPD. ACAB.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
EH7OB7eXYAAhn8N

EH7OB8mW4AIdbrO

EH7OB9nWoAApWTo

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fair evasion enforcement is one of the most blatantly racist practices the NYPD participates in. They target Black and Latino areas and I've had white co-workers be let off the hook with a warning for jumping turnstiles.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yea, immediate flashback of Chile looking at this.

I think people need to catch up. The whole world is going to shit. You have Brexit, Chile, Brazil, California fires + dumbest POTUS in history, Philippines, Ukraine/Russia, Syria, Lebanon, Yemen, and that's just me typing some obvious examples of what's going on currently.

Who would have known class wars, racism and greed was a time bomb all along. The youth is revolting. I think it's about time for real change, and you can bet your ass those in power won't let it happen without bloodshed (as already evidenced).

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Broken windows theory was something from the 70s and 80s that nobody still holds on to except for NYPD apparently lol

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Deja vu.

Did people get inspired by what's going on in Chile or is this just a well-timed coincidence?

It is not coincidence that the metro / public transportation is becoming the last battle front for people fucked by the system all over the world. With the rise in public transportation and / or racist / classists policies combined with gentrification processes and lower wages one rise / policy like this can be the difference between barely being able to live to not being able to do it.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
How does the mayor allow this shit and at the same time wanted to be president too? Wtf, fuck him.

Dec 12, 2017
Police believe targeting minor crimes stops violence from happening. So arresting people for shit like graffiti and fare evasion will stop shootings and other violence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

It doesn't work. And it's almost always fucking racist.
Yeah, fare evasion wasn't enacted because of "broken windows". It was enacted because the MTA did a study and realized they were losing a fuckton of money through it. It's not even an arrestable offense.

The brutality happened during a fight on the platform. Regardless, fuck NYPD.

Before I get called out by Era, I'm a black guy who swipes someone in anytime they ask.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
Yea, immediate flashback of Chile looking at this.

I think people need to catch up. The whole world is going to shit. You have Brexit, Chile, Brazil, California fires + dumbest POTUS in history, Philippines, Ukraine/Russia, Syria, Lebanon, Yemen, and that's just me typing some obvious examples of what's going on currently.

Who would have known class wars, racism and greed was a time bomb all along. The youth is revolting. I think it's about time for real change, and you can bet your ass those in power won't let it happen without bloodshed (as already evidenced).
You gotta note that people have been saying "the whole world is going to shit" forever. Even in the ancient world, Greece and Egypt, philosophers lamented everything going to shit.

By many metrics, many aspects of the modern world are BETTER than ever before and accelerating.

But yeah, there's more disruption now than ever and a few looming mega threats that are bigger than ever

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did anything in particular set off this wave of protests like a change in NYPD/MTA policy?

Oct 26, 2017
Have fun looking up Amadu Diallo. 9/11 and the heroism of officers that sacrificed their lives that day brought back goodwill and wiped these scandals from the mainstream public's memory.
Actually was somewhat familiar of this one because I knew of the sociology experiments done that confirmed bias of officers when confronting black people.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Deja vu.

No, there is inspiration

EIXmqsCXYAAEHD0

EIYKXuQX0AAo-XP

That's the "Negro Matapacos" (Copkiller Black), an icon of protests here in Chile, a dog that always showed at protests some time ago to counter the police. He wasn't forced, he actually felt that there was a protests and got mad until he could go bark at the police. He died earlier this year I think. That image, is an sticker in NY Train

The world will end up rising up.

Oct 25, 2017
Protesting by...checks notes...getting access to basic and necessary transportation systems. Buses and trains are human rights for cities, NYC doesn't need to just fix it, they need to make it free. Cops were the enforcers, but we should really question the foundations of the policies and why they are allowed to exist.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't have a right to charge a fee until the service becomes respectable.

I used to take the subway into the city to go to AMC Empire but it's not even worth it anymore, last 3 times I went there were delays that caused me to miss my movies.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Paying more for fare enforcement than they get in fares, I've no doubt. That wall street statue isn't the only giant bull in NY