• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I understand not showing the farm quests in stuff like trending so actual good stuff can show up, but it's a single player game so people should be able to do whatever they want. They don't need to reduce the xp earned from those missions. Wonder how well those xp boosts sell for them

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Honestly I'm still surprised people feel the need to make things like this to farm XP let alone buy it if you do.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I mean, if people want to do it, go for it. I think it's dumb as you level up plenty fast enough in the game, and others have mentioned that you will suffer low level equipment issues with insanely expensive upgrades.

I think they should keep it out of whatever stuff they curate, of course, because I'm sure most people would rather play a level that's had some thought put into it rather than a quick jerk just to spray out some XP.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm still surprised people feel the need to make things like this to farm XP let alone buy it if you do.
There's no reason not to, really. You only get more tools to play with as you level up, and once you reach 50 you have access to all the cool legendary gear sets. And most areas are level-gated in an extremely arbitrary way. Because you can set everything to level-scale up to you, you can keep the challenge up no matter how high your level gets, also.

Ubisoft made a game based around progression, so they shouldn't be surprised players want to progress.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't want to hear any arguments that they their game design wasn't designed to make the microtransactions attractive.

If people want to impact their experience in a single player game that affects no one else, that should be their choice. No one is forcing anyone to do those quests.

We will be sanctioning those who continue to willingly and intentionally misuse the tool.
Decrease their discorverability if you must, but this is laughable. It's a single player game. Get out of here with this.

This pretty much ensures I'll never buy this game or one of this series if this is their attitude.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
There's no reason not to, really. You only get more tools to play with as you level up, and once you reach 50 you have access to all the cool legendary gear sets.

Ubisoft made a game based around progression, so they shouldn't be surprised players want to progress.
its not that hard getting to 50 on just a regular playthru. Unless you are really cut down on time (in which case I would ask why did you buy an RPG everyone reported was quite chunky) I see no reason in buying or dedicating yourself to farming XP.

Oct 30, 2017
Is this still possible? I was really enjoying the game, but the grind is a bit much at times.

I used it. I don't recommend using it. Since enemies scale to your level you will be very vulnerable without leveled weapons. Took me awhile to grind cash to level up my legendaries/rares and get new weapons to not get one-shotted by most enemies.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question: if Ubisoft cares so much, why not just disable XP gain on Story Creator quests? If the whole point of the mode is to let people tell their own stories, surely that's not a thing that requires giving out XP to people who play them?

(this is independent of whether Ubisoft selling XP boosters means the XP economy of the game is shit, I can't comment on that part)

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
I honestly don't think booster pack sales are the reason for this. The booster pack is so dirt cheap and they cant possibly expect sales from that to have any significant impact at this point in the games lifespan

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
So much unnecessary hate in this thread. Farming levels are ruining the story creator since they're the most popular to play. This undermines the purpose of the story creator. By capping XP or reducing the efficacy of farming levels, better levels should have a chance to come to the forefront.

How would you feel if all the top levels in Super Mario Maker were coin farming levels?

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
People need to stop pretending that companies are just putting XP Boosters in their games without altering the game to encourage their purchase.

It has never been true. The game can still be totally fine regardless, but never forget that they are trying to milk you.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Dumb question: if Ubisoft cares so much, why not just disable XP gain on Story Creator quests? If the whole point of the mode is to let people tell their own stories, surely that's not a thing that requires giving out XP to people who play them?
My guess would be that they do want to allow for some kind of reward for players for completing a story quest. If they didn't, everything else you could do in the game would be more valuable (in terms of progression) than a story quest, so players might choose to ignore them in favour of the game's own content.

I think the most sensible choice for them would be to cap XP from story quests, maybe limiting it to one level gain per quest playthrough.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I remember playing Neverwinter, which had player made quests, and some of them were just a huge plane in space with a hundred of the most xp efficient enemies standing around.

Anyways, I think removing quests like that from recommended and "most played" lists is about the extent of what should happen. But if you're selling exp boosts, you would stop this from happening.

hollerphonix

Oct 27, 2017
unless they patched it, there was already a way to level up in seconds. Since u can button map anything u want. If you made crouch the same as the button to recruit knocked down enemies. You could walk up to them to where it says press b to recruit, and just tea bag them nonstop and u get experience every crouch because it thinks u are pressing b to recruit when u are just crouching.
That's been patched a couple updates ago sadly as it was funny to have an option to essentially teabag your way to victory.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Adding leveling to AC was such a horrible decision. Want to take on that area? Sorry, you're too under leveled. It's like bringing back the limitations on areas in open world games from older games.

And yeah past AC games have never had an issue where monetization has intruded on design, the boosters were more or less useless, but that's obviously starting to change.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I remember playing Neverwinter, which had player made quests, and some of them were just a huge plane in space with a hundred of the most xp efficient enemies standing around.

Anyways, I think removing quests like that from recommended and "most played" lists is about the extent of what should happen. But if you're selling exp boosts, you would stop this from happening.
thats pretty pointless as you could cheat to level up in the single player with console cheats, and any custom online server restricted that character to that server anyways.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

Loved those, they even made it easy for you by putting them in a big box and all you had to do was climb the steps and kill the enemies inside if you had a ranged character like wizard.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
it's a single player game... every mod, hack, exploit, cheating, is as good as playing the game the intended way, if the player is having more fun, it's not affecting others.

Jan 15, 2019
Haven't dug into the nuance of this particular issue but farming xp in general seems like... not a particularly fun way to experience a game. Maybe I've hit the "old man shaking fist" phase of my life.

May 9, 2018
I'm in the "this change isn't because of the XP Booster MTX because they can't possibly be selling enough this late in the game's lifecycle to warrant the loss of goodwill by removing Story Creator XP" camp. Still a weird move regardless.

As mentioned elsewhere, any meaningful character progression ends at level ~55.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
it's a single player game... every mod, hack, exploit, cheating, is as good as playing the game the intended way, if the player is having more fun, it's not affecting others.
it is. The story creator is awesome but when 90% of the quests that appear on my map are just farming quests, i cant be bothered.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Being worried that these xp farms overshadow the real quests is imo a valid concern. Changing the terms of use to prevent any xp farms from being created is fucked though

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
This is another of those threads where ERA hates Ubisoft? Not that I'd expect nuanced discussion when it comes to Ubisoft.

Peesonally, I don't like it when seeing Story Creator Mode spammed with farming quests

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Ubisoft, I like this game a lot but maybe this should tip you off about something a lot of people have a problem with. Maybe you should try to fix the root problem here instead of punishing people for trying to get around it (I obviously realize that this is due to the boosters they sell). I can only recommend cheat engine if you're on PC though, it's even faster than this workaround.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
can we still do this or is it completely shut down now? As for Ubisoft lul. I liked the game a lot but fuck off with moderating your singleplayer skinnerbox.
Being worried that these xp farms overshadow the real quests is imo a valid concern. Changing the terms of use to prevent any xp farms from being created is fucked though
It's not really except in the sense of their own promotion tools which they can change without banning these quests.
Because in the end there is a finite amount of grinding people want to do and if the other quests are seen as worthwhile not for the rewards themselves then players will do them anyway. If they aren't maybe something is fundamentally wrong with the design itself.

Last edited: