• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 1, 2017
Those were two different posts, talking about two different things. The first was about why I didn't buy the last two AC games. The second was in response to your question about my SP purchases in general.

With respect to RPG elements, personally I think that once you assign enemies specific 'levels' you're dealing with a full RPG system. Obviously those other games you mention don't do that, at least the ones that I've bought.

To me, once they started to introduce those elements in Origins, it was clear the direction they were going to take. And, lo and behold, here we are. What a surprise.

If you enjoy these types of games, as many people seem to, then good for you. Keep buying them, companies will keep making them, and you can be happy. As I said, I won't.

Ok that's confusing. So you didn't buy the last 2 AC games because you feel the RPG elements they introduced was about squeezing money out of gamers? But Syndicate was the game that introduced areas with level requirements. And Assassin's Creed 3 IIRC was when they first started to put microtransactions in the series that i and probably most other players have been happily ignoring ever since. Precisely because they are so unnecessary unless you are the laziest type of gamer ever determined to skip as much game content as possible, which why even buy these kind of games then but ok, whatever. So your statement is inherently flawed either way. Have you even played any of the AC games released in the last 7 odd years?

And you also don't buy SP with obnoxious flawed etc monetisation. Fair enough. You can argue about how you would define that but personally i would consider mobile games with Gatcha/Timers that stop you playing and the likes of SW Battlefront 2 and Fifa Ultimate Team obnoxious. None of the AC games are anywhere near as bad as this. Well, as far as i can tell because i've not personally played Odyssey yet, some people are talking about grinding while others are saying its non-existent. Considering how much i heard about the so called XP grind that AC:Origins had a reputation for which turned out to be complete nonsense when i had to force myself to stop playing sidequests to make the game harder i'm sceptical because it sure does seem like people over-exaggerate these kind of things to prove a point. If i play it for myself and it turns out people are talking out of their arse then i'll happily keep correcting people.

You know, if you don't like the AC games then that's fair enough but then just say that. It's a perfectly valid opinion. But this:

This is why I didn't buy Origins or Odyssey. When they introduced a full on RPG system, it was never about making the game better, it was about squeezing money out of gamers. Here we have (more) official confirmation of that.

is not at all accurate. Ubisoft have been "squeezing" MTX into the AC games long before RPG levels were introduced. The changes AC:Origins made to the series were much needed changes to revive what had become a competent but stale franchise.

Just out of interest though now that I've explained how non-intrusive MTX are in AC:Origins do you still consider it part of your list of games you would never buy for that reason?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Just out of interest though now that I've explained how non-intrusive MTX are in AC:Origins do you still consider it part of your list of games you would never buy for that reason?
You're still confusing the content of my first and second posts.

Origins was the game where they signalled, very clearly IMHO, where they were taking the series. Obviously, with the benefit of hindsight, I (and many others) were proven absolutely correct (see the OP). They were never going to go in guns blazing, they were always going to try and ease players into the new model. But the writing was on the wall, and I wasn't a fan of the direction they were taking.

If someone is making the argument that Ubisoft would have reacted the same way to the subject matter in the OP even if they didn't sell XP shortcuts via MTX, then that changes the discussion I guess. Personally, I don't think I'd agree, but I'd be interested to hear their reasoning.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
I actually exploited this within days of the first xp farm. I maxed out the money within half an hour and eventually maxed out my mastery level points. Sure, some of the mastery abilities are next to useless, but I cannot resist maxing out my character when given the opportunity. It took almost a week since getting to Lvl 1,640 naturally takes forever. I could have quit after the first 2 days and already been OP, but I was determined to milk the exploit dry, esp. since the game has new game plus and there was no guarantee when it would be patched (the 11th of July apparently being that day).

But its always a nice feeling not worrying about level, mostly because gear finally maxes so I can focus on a permanent build. The missions themselves were mostly mind-numbing in this game, and after doing the exploit, at least I could breeze through them faster to see some sort of a light at the end of the title. The First Blade DLC has some truly lazy side quests and I am currently struggling to find motivation to get through and heavily tempted to skip them entirely ("real" side quests, not the radiant and notice board filler). The game just has too much copy/paste content and deja vu questing, which seriously waters down an otherwise decent game. And yes, I did shell out for Helix, though foolishly the day before the exploit became known.

Anyway, it's no shocker Ubisoft hammered this out though it's hilarious that it took them over a month to react and even more hilarious that they gave gamers the means to accomplish this in the first place.

So in the end, I think its better to commend their incompetence in the first place in allowing these exploits to come to pass.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still hoping to find a situation where I can tame a wolf, let alone a bear.

70 hours in. Statistically it has to happen eventually.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
You said, and i quote: "If it was not legitimate it would be out of business." regarding Instant Gaming. I just showed you an in depth article about a site that uses illegitimate methods to obtain keys that is very much still in business. Ergo you cannot know for sure if Instant Gaming is a reputable site if that is your only metric on which you judge if Instant Gaming is legit or not.
Are you saying that because G2A is known to be shady that all key resellers can no longer be trusted?

Maybe you should spend some time on google to better inform yourself before you insinuate that someone is stealing games.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I got to level 99 (like 120 total), by just teabagging a guard for like 40 minutes.
Ubi fuck off selling XP boosters and double fuck off for increasing the level cap multiple times. Leveling isn't fun, Odyssey is far more enjoyable when you can ignore 90% of the garbage filler content.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be so sure. There's already some "cheat prevention" in Assassin's Creed Unity. They have hooks in so that once any code is injected, the game crashes. But code injection is how most cheat scripts work in Cheat Engine. And all I was trying to do was create a free camera for the game.

People did find ways around it in order to get trainers and stuff working. But they've definitely tried it before and I can see them going at it more aggressively in the future.

It fits more in their grand scheme of things to do it online only than to bother with blocking CheatEngine. That is why they are all in on Stadia for example.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
ubisoft sells exp boost
Save wizard have exp boost cheat, so if i cheated and edit the save, will that be considered a piracy?

Miles Iz Ded

Oct 28, 2017
The crouch / recruit cheat is fine if done early enough. I just did about 10 levels at at a time then played normally for a bit to get a weapon close to your level then carried on farming polemarchs (give highest recruiting xp). If you get to 99 early enough then all legendary gear is level 97-99 meaning that it costs little or nothing to upgrade. Game is still as fun / hard due to the level scaling, it just means that you don't have to pay ridiculous amounts of cash / resources to upgrade your gear.

Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (1 day): hostility
You're still confusing the content of my first and second posts.

Origins was the game where they signalled, very clearly IMHO, where they were taking the series. Obviously, with the benefit of hindsight, I (and many others) were proven absolutely correct (see the OP). They were never going to go in guns blazing, they were always going to try and ease players into the new model. But the writing was on the wall, and I wasn't a fan of the direction they were taking.

If someone is making the argument that Ubisoft would have reacted the same way to the subject matter in the OP even if they didn't sell XP shortcuts via MTX, then that changes the discussion I guess. Personally, I don't think I'd agree, but I'd be interested to hear their reasoning.

Ok so you're just going to wilfully ignore all the inconsistencies in all of your posts, got it. There's no reasonable discussion to be had with someone who has wrong opinions on games they haven't played who when having had these misconceptions corrected by people who have, you know, actually have played these games then just talks around in vague circles instead of admitting maybe they got some things wrong.

I have to say though, this new assertion that Ubisoft are "easing people in to the new model" thing is kind of funny. If that's the case then that is a hell of a long con. They've been "easing" players in for the past 7 odd years and however many games its been that i honestly can't be bothered to sit there and count, but it's been a good few now. But now! NOW they strike and show their true greedy scumbag colours! In the most unexpected way possible that no one saw coming: By releasing some free DLC to a game in the latter end of it's life cycle that has gotten all the unreasonable people throwing a massive tantrum. 7 odd years of careful planning and "easing" led to this. What a genius, Machiavellian move.

You know what, my first response ended up being the most accurate. You're an idiot.