• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is RDR2 currently one of the best games of all time?

• Yes

Votes: 400 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 608 60.3%

• Total voters

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Personally, it wouldn't crack my top 100.

RDR2 is currently sitting in the top 10 games on metacritic as one of the highest rated games of all time with a score of 97/100.

With over 90 reviewers on metacritic reviewing the game, to get an average review score of 97/100 is a tremendous achievement.

However, come to resetera and you'll get mixed responses. Usually when a game is so highly rated you will get the majority of people also giving it high praise. With RDR2 this is not the case. There is a lot of criticism for this game which the majority of reviewers seemed to have ignored.

I myself haven't finished the game yet but I'm currently at 75% through the story. At this point I'm having to force myself to get through this as it is dragging hard.

However so far after putting around 40 hours into the game i would probably give it a 7/10. The repetitive story missions and awful controls are unforgivable in my eyes.

So what do you think era? Is this truly one of the best games of all time and should be up there with Zelda Ocarina of Time or is this one of the most overrated games to date?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm close to finishing it, and a resounding YES from me. It's a masterpiece

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, for me at least it topped the original (which I wasn't sure if it would before release). It's also probably my favorite Rockstar title now.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Controls have issues and the strict adherence to scripted sequences was annoying, but everything else was great.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Without a doubt. It's my favorite game ever, I've never had a game where I've said it's my #1 but RDR 2 changed that. Such an achievement.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Of all-time? No, but I thought it was pretty fun and would slot it among my top 5 favorite games of the year. I don't pay attention to reviewers' and users' scores, so that hasn't had any infuence on my opinion.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Not even close, game has a bunch of cool things but a ton of little annoyances. 2 steps forward, 1 step back every step of the way.

Going hard on Chapter 5 right now, really not all that impressed with the stuff it gets right when the stuff it gets wrong stick out like a sore thumb to me...

And as these conversations often go, right now people are pretty hot on the topic. Give it 6 months to an year and ask that question again and you will get a lot "Yeah... no, lol" responses.

Oct 27, 2017
It ranks pretty highly for me. The gameplay, while at times lackluster, didn't really bother me. The world and the way you interact with it is so enjoyable for me. For example, NPCs feel like characters rather than set dressing.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
Few games have ever gripped me as much as RDR2, I would say so. I think Arthur Morgan might be my favorite protagonist ever. The way they make likeable characters so likeable and villains so... hateable is pretty amazing. Few hiccups here and there but the immersion is real and the world feels alive.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It's not a flawless game by any means, but god damn if it isn't the best game I've played this entire generation.
So the answer is, yes.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. I was really down on the game during the long and boring middle sections, but the climax was incredibly well done. I would say it's easily one of the best games ever made.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
No when it comes to top 10, but top 100, sure.

It's one hell of a game, and I loved it. I'd also argue that it is Rockstar's most impressive map and the perfect distillation of what a Rockstar open-world experience entails, but I also understand that Grand Theft Auto probably deserves more of a mention in the list of "best games of all time", being their flagship franchise and all as well as a household name, so I'm somewhat torn actually on where it should be in the list. Maybe somewhere around 70 is fine, with GTA getting a slot somewhere in the top 30 or so.

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't the most "fun" game of all time, certainly, but as far as things I've played, yes, the overall experience was unmatched by any other game in many ways.

Gizamaluke

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. The game was not without issues but it had that special magic sauce that makes things better than the sum of its parts and kept me completely gripped throughout. A sensational achievement by all involved.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know exactly where I'd put it, need some more time removed, but yes, absolutely. It felt like a legitimate 'next-gen' experience 5 years into the actual generation.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
In short: yes. Though I still have an epilogue to go.

RDR 2 has one of the most affecting stories I've ever experienced in a game. Can't think of anything else I've played that's made me feel as genuinely heartbroken as this. Even when I haven't been playing it, it's cast a pall over my thoughts as I keep thinking about the story. The last three chapters + the epilogue really got to me.

Also, thus far the most impressive open-world I've seen in a game and Arthur is one of my favourite protagonists ever.

I get why not everyone likes it, though. Its systems are weird and it's a slow game. Also a beautiful one, though.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
From a technical and detail POV, absolutely. I loved the game. It won't be my GOTY, but it is one of the best games of all time from a detail and open world perspective. I think it probably has the best open world ever. Right up there with GTAV for sure.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It's right up there with Bloodborne as the best of this generation, no doubt. Amazing experience from start to finish.

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely not. Nothing that controls this terribly and has such bad mission design belongs in a positive top whatever list.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the best realization of an open world, and some of the best animation/characters/performances in a gaming.

But in terms of gameplay, too many issues for me to consider it an all time great. Poor character movement, mediocre combat/AI, lack of proper fast travel, repetitive mission design, weird design choices/compromises (?) ( no running interior or at camp), etc. all hold it back.

Still one of my favorite games of the year, but not for "game" reasons. It was more the world and characters that kept me playing.

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still argue Rockstar needs to improve the shooting in their titles so the snapping auto aim isn't necessary to do well.

And the slow deliberate movement and animation may be fine for many but for me it's still annoying.

Everything else surrounding that is top notch quality, so yes I consider it among the bests. Particularly the best offering from Rockstar.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
It's tied with the witcher 3 as my game of the generation but i still have a chapter and the epilogue to go so that might push it to the top, it's easily in my to 10 of all time and probably in the top 5 too.

I understand the criticisms and agree with some of them but if you take the game as a whole it is a astounding achievement.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not even my top of the year, to be honest. I wasn't even going in with very high expectations, but it's been a fairly mediocre experience. Some rare highs, but a lot of shockingly bad pacing and gameplay feel.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of story, characters, world, ost, writing, atmosphere and immersion absolutely yes.

Gameplay wise? no.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm very close to the end, and I don't see how anything can drastically change my opinion of this game that I've been playing for upwards of 60 hours now, and as much as I try to love it, things keep happening to where I just can't. I think there's so much that could have been done to make it one of the greatest games of all time, but just isn't for me.

So far it's a 7/10 game, and most of it has been a chore to play.

EDIT: I just beat it and my sentiments haven't changed. It's a good game, but I enjoyed RDR much more than this one.

Last edited:

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game, but no for me. There were some amazing moments and maybe I'll go back to it and enjoy it even more, but it didn't really do anything new or creative. I absolutely loved the story, but then from the 80%-100% mark in the story, it did fall a little flat.