BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lots of people defending the less clear option in labeling this cut up version of the FFVII arc. Saying things like "well it's longer than that section was in the original, so it's technically enough content to not be a ripoff no matter what the title suggests" or "it says it in the text descriptions on the web retail page if you click to read more on PSN that's it is the 'first entry in a multipart saga', which you should know means that this isn't the whole remake (and is not at all intentionally vaguely readable as this being a set of new projects coming after a complete remake in the FFVII universe) "

Like, y'all know this is intentionally not being as clear as it could be to benefit Square yeah?

If the entire project had been made in one part, the cover would look just like it does now:
FF7R_PS4_2D_v2.jpg

It's no accident this looks and sounds like a full remake instead of a clear reimagined first act of multiple they want you to buy. An old fan who hasn't heard about it being split in parts ain't gonna get that message by running into this art on the shelf in a year or two.

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you but to play devil's advocate, the marketing makes it pretty clear:

"The first entry in a multi part saga, delivering a level of depth inconceivable for the original game."

This is from the Amazon page.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
People will still defend it, its poor but people wont kick up enough fuss for Square to change it.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
We will definitely see people being angry with this as it's nowhere on the box, and it should be on the box.

Most buyers aren't going to be as informed as your average games news follower or forum poster.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah it's a bit scummy on their part, the fact that it's not a full remake of the old game should be made clear in the title

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
I love FFVII
I loved the demo today.
I love SE
I love most FF releases in the past 5 years

BUT

This is a greedy misleading title that should receive nothing but criticism from everyone. Always surprised whenever anyone defends this farce lol

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Honestly, at this point, I don't care. If somebody shows up and purchases the game just by looking at the front cover, that's on them. Nothing for me to worry about or argue about anymore.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
We will definitely see people being angry with this as it's nowhere on the box, and it should be on the box.

Most buyers aren't going to be as informed as your average games news follower or forum poster.
While I agree that there should be a subtitle, it is explained on the back of the box that this encompasses the Midgar section of VII's narrative only.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yeah, it's going to be a problem.

As I just said in another thread, there are plenty of people who played the original VII but don't pay attention to gaming news or the development of the remake who will end up buying this and not having a clue it's 1/4 of the game.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
People will be extremely concerded for about 12 months and then suddenly it will have been just a minor thing.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's going to be a problem.

As I just said in another thread, there are plenty of people who played the original VII but don't pay attention to gaming news or the development of the remake who will end up buying this and not having a clue it's 1/4 of the game.
Will they read the back of the box tho?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I completely agree. It's misleading and is only there to deter people from going "I'll wait for all the parts to be out before I buy it"

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
i don't think they do it to trick old fans people into buying in and more as to not scare away people who never played it before.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I definitely think there should have been some sort of subtitle, but I also can understand Square's trepidation in putting "Part 1" on there, as the intention is for this to be treated as a full game in and of itself.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Midgar would have worked just fine, IMO.

But it's also hard to say they're intentionally being misleading when the back of the box and the all the store descriptions are very up front about it.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I get it, I really do. It would certainly be better with a subtitle. As long as it's not "part 1" or "episode 1" as that does nothing but scream telltale-style episodes.
But at the same time: the marketing surrounding this game has been clear for years now, and Square is surprisingly open about it in general.
At some point I just think it's up to people to not make an uneducated purchase. Especially when it's as easy as just reading the back of the box.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
It's an asshole move from Square to not indicate it more clearly.
However, if someone doesn't even do a minimum of research before buying a game, I have a hard time feeling bad for them.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I saw an old school friend recently at a wedding and we were talking about video games and he's got every console and plays pretty much every big game. The conversation got onto FFVIIR and he told me how excited he was for it, when I mentioned it only being part of the original he wouldn't believe me, he even got his phone out and Googled it to try and say I was wrong. He was gutted when he realised, if someone like that who actually plays game constantly doesn't know, how is the average person buying the game supposed to

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Of course we do.
It's such a terrible anti consumer move.

Let's hope they change the name for future releases on the other consoles.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are making WAY too big a fuss about this. Its remaking a game but its also its own thing entirely. I don't think they need Part 1 on the box at all.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
People shouldn't have to read the fine prints on the back of the box to understand that it's not a full remake but only a (small) part of it

Come on now, don't argue in bad faith

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The "but the back of the box" defense is amazing.

The game is titled "Final Fantasy VII Remake." Why in the world would a consumer ever need to think, "I should read the box and make sure it's a remake of the full game!"

Instead of defending it, why not just admit that the fact that Square is leaving "Part 1" out of the title so it doesn't push some potential buyers away? We know that's the reason.

I have the $350 version pre-ordered. I'm certainly not raging. But the decision to not title the game appropriately is unarguably anti-consumer.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
You're all making this a bigger deal than it is. The people that played the original know that this is part 1. The people that didn't will get a full game anyway.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I was just watching the Giant Bomb Unfinished of this and Gerstmann had an anecdote about how someone he was talking to who is excited for this had no idea it wasn't the entire story until Gerstmann had said so. I mean that's one story but places like here forget that there are still that very casual brand of gamer/consumer out there who's probably still buying games off box art.
The day of release I'm really curious how many people on social media and etc. just learn this.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's absolutely a swindle run by SE, and it's hilarious people would defend it.

All they had to do was throw "Midgar" somewhere on the front title treatment, and nobody would be misled.

They are not doing this, explicitly with the intent of misleading people.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if this is a joke or if you think this is a valid argument.
What percentage of the audiences dish out 60 dollars without being a lil bit informed about the product they are buying?

Plus Square Enix said years ago it was going to be episodic and that same information is included on the back of the box and the psn store page.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I respect the people who fundamentally disagree with SE using the episodic format.. but I don't think they are misleading people.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If someone can't be bothered to do the bare minimum of research, even just reading the store description or looking at the back of the box, then that's not on the developers.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption for someone to see a game called Final Fantasy VII Remake and assume it's a remake of Final Fantasy VII, and not just part of Final Fantasy VII.
I'm going to refer you back to my original post of me saying "I don't care" and "that's on them". Thanks for understanding.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It's perfectly fine that they split the game in parts. It is not fine that the title does not communicate this. No excuses. It's a gross move meant to trick people. You don't need to boycott the game, march in front of SE's HQ or make petitions but there is no reason to defend the title.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Honestly, at this point, I don't care. If somebody shows up and purchases the game just by looking at the front cover, that's on them.
Sorry, but the average or lowest common denominator consumer needs to be considered. It's absolutely a deceptive & unfair act to have it say "Final Fantasy 7 Remake" on the front cover that will be consumer-facing. You have to work under the assumption that people will be sold on nothing more than the front cover of a game.