• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
I know about 8 or so people like this, and like.... are you insane? Like you're not a public figure. And most of these people only have a little over 1000 followers and I'm assuming a lot aren't genuine because most of these people who have that in their bio don't even get the amount of likes I do.

It's ridiculous tbh. Do you guys know people like this too? I genuinely don't get it lol

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
It enables the ability to view stats and analytics on your pics/profile, that's why most people do it but I do find it funny when I see it.

mechs

Banned
Oct 1, 2018
The whole public figure thing is a joke on Insta

The other weird one is hundreds of 1000's of followers and only a few hundred likes.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capitalist alienation from jobs, community and politics causes people to feel as a cogs in the wheel of the almighty tank that is private profit.
Seeking refuge in social media is what they deem the only refuge from this alienation, for they might pretend to still have impact in the virtual world.

Or they are just narcissistic, looking for sponsors idk

mechs

Banned
Oct 1, 2018
Are you new to intenet? :p

Bots for sale to like you has been around for a long while, mostly for FB and Twitter, now Insta.

Haha definitely not new to it, but maybe just naive. But the people I noticed who do this are relatively popular.

The one I definitely knew was dodgy was a local woman, around 19y/o and had 47k followers and barely 200 likes per picture. Never did ask her though!

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the time I was on a gaming discord and I was discussing with a guy there while @ing him in a few messages (while he was in the channel) because the chat was moving rapidly, then he posted "Ok, you're at 3 @s today, buddy, tone it down", thought that he was joking until I clicked on his profile and he had a tag that indicates that he's a pro gamer.

G list celebrities are hilarious.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they're the mayor of a small town? Obsessing over whether internet strangers have met some invisible bar is weirder tbh.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Maybe they want to make it harder for themselves to sue for defamation (for defamation against a public figure you have to prove malicious intent)

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
People do weird shit online. I mean, people on this forum posts their tweets as posts here. There are just an insane amount of people who want to be seen.

But the first reply is a bit accurate, I guess they don't want to pick "Author", or what else you can pick when you set up your Instagram account to be a business account.

Oct 25, 2017
From the title I thought there were bots that give likes to pictures from "public figure" profiles. That would have been a nice boost for a couple of pics.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
If you make a business account (free, and unlocks a bunch of benefits), then you have to choose a category for yourself. Public figure's probably just an easy one to default to.

Better to have fun with it though. I, for instance, am a bowling alley.