• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
The least isn't about keeping your "good boy" near you. Some people have panic attacks just by SEEING a dog off of the leash. I love dogs and this is not something that happens to me, but I will always keep my dog on a leash because anything else is disrespectful and selfish. End of discussion. In public, dog is on leash. If you don't do this, you're an asshole.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It really depends on the type of dog, how well trained they are and where you are. It can be fine in some situations, clearly in the OP story the dogs weren't trained well and the owner not responsible enough.
no it doesn't depend because I don't know you and I don't know your dogs.

it's not my job to know you or your dogs, keep them on a leash

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Truly curious how much of this is an "American" thing, or rest of the world.

Aussie here, and I take my two down to the local park daily for a run around. There would be a good, oh, 40 or so dogs all off the leash, running around and having a good time. Any anti-social dogs generally don't come back a second time, and with one of mine sorta in that category he's content to chill in my arms while the other and the others do their thing. It's an amazing sight, and I'd hate to see that go away!

-edit- No disrespect by saying it's an "American" thing, just genuinely curious whether it's a consideration or not!

UK is the same as this in my experience.

Dogs are off leash in parks / woods / many beaches

Oct 25, 2017

Aussie here, and I take my two down to the local park daily for a run around. There would be a good, oh, 40 or so dogs all off the leash, running around and having a good time. Any anti-social dogs generally don't come back a second time, and with one of mine sorta in that category he's content to chill in my arms while the other and the others do their thing. It's an amazing sight, and I'd hate to see that go away!

-edit- No disrespect by saying it's an "American" thing, just genuinely curious whether it's a consideration or not!
In my experience here with have dog parks and dog bars where you're encouraged to let them loose with the expectation that they're behaved. Time and place kind of thing.

I get the complaints, but dog Era can be extreme in their reactions.

"You're a piece of shit if you're ever outside with your dog without a leash."
"Walking around with pitbull is like walking with your gun out in public."

Like calm the fuck down people.

OP has every right to be mad, but I don't get the weird absolute.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Those people are fucking irresponsible shitheads.

A leash is for the protection of others and the dog's own protection. I have a little westie that "wouldn't hurt a fly." I have never walked him off the leash.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
these people drive me nuts, I used to give people the benefit of the doubt on this, but after my dog who is leashed has been attacked 3 times by dogs not on leashes. I give these mother fuckers my 2 cents. If you are in a populated area, leash your fucking dog.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Japan seems to be very serious about leashes. Most of the dog breeds here are super tiny ones like Chihuahuas and Yorkshire terriers but I always see them with a leash.

A friend of mine has a dog and the only time he ever removed the leash was in a fenced of area of the park that was specifically designated as a no leash zone, about the size of a classroom. I've seen such zones in more than one park so it's not a one off.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I have a neighbor that always let her dog out unleashed. Finally came to her senses when the dog ran out in front of a car. People can be so friggen dumb.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
First off, I'm sorry that happened.

I'm curious about this dog allergy. I know some people react to cat fur and are allergic. Is it the same kind of thing for dogs? Is it their saliva?

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate when I'm at the beach having a run and small dogs like Maltese terriers run up to my feet, like I have to stop to not step on the little guys. I keep my dogs on leash unless there's an unleashed area and there's no other dogs, unfortunately one of my dogs has anxiety from being attacked as a puppy and the other is deaf, so they don't deal with new dogs well and growl/bark. Took them like 3-4 joint walks to be completely comfortable with my neighbour's pugs.

Now, I like dogs... your uncontrollable monster.

Amazing how quickly one can reveal themselves to be a liar. Also yeah, your daughter will think you're a big strong hero when you stomp that pupper's skull in right in front of her. People on this site, I swear.

Last edited:

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
No dog should ever walk unleashed. Because sometimes animals or the owners are not really good at it.

Some dogs benefit from a run. You can't let a greyhound run while on a leash. That said, our retired racer wasn't let off the leash until we felt confident with her, which took a year or more.

Now she loves to run on the beach, particularly in the waves. Like all greyhounds she still has poor recall so we have to be careful about when we let her off.

I've even seen people with salukis off leash on occasion. Where greyhounds are sprinters, salukis are seemingly tireless middle distance runners. One day in Jesmond Dene our girl had fun chasing after a saluki, round and round a field. She tried everything but eventually wore herself out, while the saluki just serenely galloped on. The Dene is an enclosed park built around a natural stream with steep banks, and the only place where I'd trust a saluki off leash. They're notorious for running into traffic and getting killed.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Imagine trying to tell this guy to put his dog on a leash:

john-wick-3-dog.jpg

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Some dogs benefit from a run. You can't let a greyhound run while on a leash. That said, our retired racer wasn't let off the leash until we felt confident with her, which took a year or more.

Now she loves to run on the beach, particularly in the waves. Like all greyhounds she still has poor recall so we have to be careful about when we let her off.

I've even seen people with salukis off leash on occasion. Where greyhounds are sprinters, salukis are seemingly tireless middle distance runners. One day in Jesmond Dene our girl had fun chasing after a saluki, round and round a field. She tried everything but eventually wore herself out, while the saluki just serenely galloped on. The Dene is an enclosed park built around a natural stream with steep banks, and the only place where I'd trust a saluki off leash. They're notorious for running into traffic and getting killed.

We let our dog run free too. In places where we can see that no other dog is close or coming our way. If someone comes we just call him and he runs straight to us. Put leash on and go on. So a beach sometimes might be a good place too.

When we were younger a dog were attacking a friend of us, so we went over there and kicked it away while sitting on a motorbike. Would never happened if it was on a leash.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
I am a dog lover but yeah I can't agree with people walking with their dogs unleashed in public areas. I am a runner and I hate approaching someone with an unleashed dog because of the fear the dog is going to chase after me. I am not scared the dog is going to attack me but more so the annoyance of having to stop and wait for the person to catch up to then hold their dog as I run off. I am a big trail runner so I see it a ton there but I understand that a bit more since we are in a remote area. Out on the trails people are usually a lot better about paying attention for approaching hikers / runners and leashing their dogs as they pass.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
First off, I'm sorry that happened.

I'm curious about this dog allergy. I know some people react to cat fur and are allergic. Is it the same kind of thing for dogs? Is it their saliva?

It can be dander or saliva. But it's different for each dog, strangely. If we go to our friends house who has a dog, just bring in the same house will make her eyes start watering and her start sneezing. But other dogs she can hang out with no problem.

But usually any dog that licks her will cause her to break out. Sure enough after we came home from the pool last night she was sneezing and her eyes were red and she was stuffy. Needed Benadryl.

Her allergies are so bad that she's getting special allergy shots to try to reduce the severity of them and build up a tolerance. For a year she was getting 4 shots a week into her arms and now that number is 4 shots once a month.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't read the whole thread (at least the OP's post though and first page), but I think if a person is walking a dog, I'd almost always 100% agree with making sure there's some level of leash. Not even so much because of other people, but because there's always a risk of an another animal getting aggressive and going after that, and there's no way to pull them away easily to safety.

I've always (along with my family) been lenient in the backyard and in the front when it comes to not having a dog on a leash. Our dog (prior to him passing), we'd try to make sure to bring him up onto the porch in case someone was walking their dogs or someone coming by, unless of course persons show signs of wanting to pet him. Sometimes we'd also board up the front porch so the dog couldn't wander off (Dallas, our old dog, wasn't so much of an issue, but my sister's dog, Daisy, often had a nasty habit wandering a bit too far off).

We unfortunately did have an incident where our dog went up to someone who walked by the house (he loved meeting new people), and the guy literally spit in his face and tried to swat at him. Our dog, which he was always a big baby despite "Acting tough" behind a glass window, backed off kinda notably freaked out. My dad was kinda pissed about that and kinda went after the guy. Like, I get if you don't like dogs, and might be afraid of them, that was on us and we would've immediately apologized, but how he kinda attacked our dog was... Yeah.

But yeah, we were super careful after that incident.

Anyways, I would always keep them on a leash when walking, just so there was no risk for them of potentially being put in harms way (for them or others involved).

Racketpunch

Oct 26, 2017
My dog is off leash most of the time but is very obedient, stays by my side and doesn't mind other people/pets. Sucks for people that don't know their pets.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Having been attacked by dogs that were off-leash - while I was walking a dog that was leashed - yeah, dog owners who do this rub me the wrong way.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I see this in my neighborhood all the time and it does aggravate me a bit. It's really not that hard to leash your animal for walking, and it's better for their safety as well. Dogs can be spontaneous and might see a squirrel or cat and chase them into the road and could get themselves hit. It's simply better for everyone to have them on a leash.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
i was chased by two little shits, a medium sized small dog, and a toy sized dog. I was as afraid of hurting them as I was of getting bitten. I would clap and stomp to try to get them to back off but they were on my heels for a good block. If I had some mace...

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My dog is off leash most of the time but is very obedient, stays by my side and doesn't mind other people/pets. Sucks for people that don't know their pets.

Read the thread.

You are most likely making some people miserable walking past them. Some of us got bitten by dogs, and that fear for me has never gone away. I always have some anxiety walking past an unleashed dog of some size.

Also, you are putting kids in danger and are breaking the law.

F0NZ

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
Yeah I'm really thinking that I have to do something but not sure what. My wife is worried about retaliation because the woman seemed deranged.

Here's a brain fart: (a) buy some bear spray; (b) carry it with you next time you go walking down the nature trail; (c) when dogs decide to come at you, spray them.

Not a particularly good idea, so I don't suggest you employ it, but it will work.

Best to you and them heathen dogs.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Does your neighborhood have a local Facebook group? I would post the photo you took and see if anyone recognizes her.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a problem with it if the dog is standing next to the owner and doesn't run off. But not everyone is Caesar Milan.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could walk around with my dog off her leash. Unfortunately other people and other dogs exist.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's some owners that have there dog completely trained and they don't really bother me when I'm walking my dog. I don't have a problem with it but they have to understand some people are scared of dogs and it's not fair to themZ

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017

England.

It's kinda the reverse here... you can designate an area as NO dogs (like a kids play area) but public parks and what not are a free for all so we rarely have "dog parks" like America seems to have as all parks are dog parks BUT you are expected to have your proper control. Proper control is the key here I believe....

There are a few exceptions like around livestock or on a road but other than that it's not illegal.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The least isn't about keeping your "good boy" near you. Some people have panic attacks just by SEEING a dog off of the leash. I love dogs and this is not something that happens to me, but I will always keep my dog on a leash because anything else is disrespectful and selfish. End of discussion. In public, dog is on leash. If you don't do this, you're an asshole.

My concern as a parent is that even if your dog is absolutely the sweetest most well intentioned animal in the world they can still harm a child. My dog is a total goofball who ends up giving me the occasional really deep scratch in his excitement so we are very careful when he's interacting with our two year old.

Another example, we have a neighbor who lets his older dog roam the neighborhood. The dog seems very well adjusted and other than leaving the occasional gigantic shit in my or neighbors yards, the dog isn't an issue. I've pet him a few times, seems like a nice, old dog.

However, a few weeks back while I and my daughter were working in the yard this same dog came up to her. Just not wanting him to get too close to my daughter I tried to shoo him way. While doing so my daughter squealed. The dog became visibly agitated and started barking and grunting and grousing and wouldn't back off until I got more aggressive with him.

So while no one got hurt, this was a difficult situation. The owner handled it badly. I wasn't aggressive or threatening but you could tell I was a little worked up. The owner couldn't understand that "has never hurt anyone" means nothing, that all it takes is one accident, and that animals are never 100% predictable.

If he would have been a bit more understanding then I would have walked away feeling better about the situation. But now every time I see the dog I'm on edge just a bit.

That said, I do see the dog less frequently now.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
England.

It's kinda the reverse here... you can designate an area as NO dogs (like a kids play area) but public parks and what not are a free for all so we rarely have "dog parks" like America seems to have as all parks are dog parks BUT you are expected to have your proper control. Proper control is the key here I believe....

There are a few exceptions like around livestock or on a road but other than that it's not illegal.

I've never seen a "no dogs allowed" park here. I'm sure some exist. But unless it is specifically a "dog park" where dogs are allowed to be off leash and interact with other dogs, pretty much every public area has a leash law.

IME.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I've never seen a "no dogs allowed" park here. I'm sure some exist. But unless it is specifically a "dog park" where dogs are allowed to be off leash and interact with other dogs, pretty much every public area has a leash law.

IME.

Yea I realise that - what I was saying is in the UK there is no leash law so all places where dogs are allowed they are allowed off the lead.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
While the OP's story sucks I have to admit there's nothing cooler than a well-trained dog who just hangs the fuck out with their owner everywhere without a need for a leash and doesn't cause any trouble. Sadly this is rarely the case but I definitely have known some over the years and been envious.
My previous dog was one of those. You didn't need to tell her to not enter places where she wasn't allowed, was friendly to everyone (before anyone goes "you never know!", she was a neutered old trained border collie), she'd stay away from you if you told her to get off, etc.

Then one day she randomly decided to run across the street ignoring my orders. Thankfully there weren't any cars, but since then I got why leash laws are a thing.

Jul 18, 2018
Dogs are animals.
Animals have their own instincts and behaviors they can/will/might act on which can be out of your control.
You do not fully control them, just like you can't fully tame a small child from acting up randomly.

There's some owners that have there dog completely trained and they don't really bother me when I'm walking my dog. I don't have a problem with it but they have to understand some people are scared of dogs and it's not fair to themZ

Parents neighborhood made it illegal to go unleashed recently. My sister and I fostered dogs, one of our neighbors has this tamed ass doberman. My sister got a pitbull mix to Foster, was the sweetest dog alive. I take it out to walk, and one day across street the neighbor is walking his doberman without a leash. It's literally by his hip, little behind walking all calm. Moment it crossed eyes with our pitbull mix, the doberman kind of went on defensive mode grunting and taunting. Our pitbull was scared (she's the sweetest, softest dog we ever had). Luckily doberman didn't cross, but the owner had to grab the dogs collar and i just dipped out other direction. Our pitbull legit gets scared of even a spoon falling down on the ground haha.

Which brings me to next point. All the fostered dogs we ever had, including this sweet pitbull, when we went on walks. The moment all of them go bat shit crazy is when they meet those small dogs. The small dogs are feisty as hell, it just agitates bigger dogs more

Deleted member 13550

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm scared of dogs and start to panic when i see one off the leash moving towards me. Luckily it doesn't happen too often here. Just keep em on a leash, please.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fuck dog owners who do this shit. Just fuck them. God I fucking hate this kind of shit.

they think their pets are so goddamn special and they somehow have trained a pet to not do stupid bullshit because they're some magical pet owner who knows how to control their animals when instead theyre delusional idiots

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
no it doesn't depend because I don't know you and I don't know your dogs.

it's not my job to know you or your dogs, keep them on a leash
Exactly.

Fuck dog owners who do this shit. Just fuck them. God I fucking hate this kind of shit.

Putin did it with Merkel. And we know what kind of asshole he is.
Imagine trying to tell this guy to put his dog on a leash:

john-wick-3-dog.jpg

He's just a an actor. ;P

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I'm afraid of dogs. Keep them on a leash!

A few months ago this actually happened to me. Was walking through the park and met a lady walking her dog and removing the leash and as soon as it was off that dog came charging at me. I was so scared I just froze. The dog stopped right in front of me and put his forefeet, which were wet too because it rained just a while ago, on my legs. The dog just wanted to play, but I was scared as hell regardless.

Oct 25, 2017
I go on regular runs on a pretty lonely trail, so the occasional dog owner never has their dog on a leash, it really sucks. They don't see me coming and I basically have to pray that it's a good one. Got almost bit literally yesterday when an older woman yelled at hers like crazy.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Walking a dog off leash in a neighborhood is super dangerous, not just for pedestrians but the dog itself too. You never know when a car could come by.

When I take my dog in off leash walks, I make sure I'm in an area with no cars and few if any people. Never in a residential area.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Some owners are blind to the faults of their dogs. Like some parents I guess.

I've kicked a dog before. My personal hate is people unable to control their dogs from a distance and have to come over and physically get them off you. If you can't get it to come back to you when calling ("JESUS CHRIST, FENTON") then you have an uncontrollable dog and that could be a problem.

Yep, if you have to go over and actually drag your dog away it's not close to well trained enough to even consider having off leash outside your house (or fenced in yard), or perhaps a dog park. Neighbor's dog once headbutted me in the back of the legs when I had no idea he was out, luckily he's a goober so I just gave him a pat and held his collar while she ran over but if your dog does not respond when you call, *leash it.* A less fun story is that walking to school someone's huge dog raced at me, barking and snarling. Bet your ass I took off my backpack to use as a shield/weapon and would have kicked if it came to that. The owner came over, slow as hell like I was the one inconveniencing him, and dragged the dog away without ever acknowledging me. The dog did not respond to the owner calling and was focused on me the entire time. People getting mad because others would use physical force to protect themselves from unknown dogs, I've been chased by a lot of dogs (once into my own damn house), bitten by some and I'm not eager to get injured just because you've never personally had a bad experience with your own dog. Some people have phobias or allergies. If your dog is well behaved and on a leash, I will ask to give it some love. Off leash and racing at me, especially while barking and displaying aggressive body posture = I'm grabbing my keys or bag or whatever I have to defend myself.

Maybe the culture of an area allows for dogs to roam around or there aren't enforced leash laws, but if your dog at the bare minimum doesn't respond to leave it, heel, their name, etc every time when they run off you need to address that. If not for other people then because your dog could be ignorant of the dangers of an area and run right in.