• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is a dog park. A park just for dogs to run about in? I'm pretty sure they don't exist here. If you want your dog to have exercise you're going somewhere public
Dog parks are public. The rules are more lax to allow them to run around unleashed, but there will usually be a code of conduct everyone is expected to follow.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I feel like some people have an irrational fear of dogs like they others do with flying. Focusing on the occasional bad story and ignoring the millions of ones where nothing goes wrong. Most dogs that might run up to you are just being friendly.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I've been bit by unleashed dogs while running in my neighborhood and have the god damned police reports to show for it. My dog and I have been attacked by unleashed dogs on the sidewalk, trail, and even the middle of the fucking road. If you think your dog is some special snowflake that's above the law and doesn't need to be leashed, you're wrong...and a selfish asshole.
this. fuck people who do let their dogs out w/o a leash.

I feel like some people have an irrational fear of dogs like they others do with flying. Focusing on the occasional bad story and ignoring the millions of ones where nothing goes wrong. Most dogs that might run up to you are just being friendly.
yeah, and some arent. as someone whos lived in small towns and cities, loose dogs are incredibly dangerous. someones pet shouldn't be a hazard to me, or anyone else.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Trojita is always 'unleashed'

hMX09K9.png

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

If somebody is afraid of flying, they can stay away from aeroplanes. If somebody is afraid of dogs, it isn't reasonable to expect them to stay indoors forever. It absolutely doesn't matter why a person is afraid of dogs, they shouldn't have to be exposed to them by irresponsible owners.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
same thing as you OP (albeit different circumstances). i am walking my dog on a leash on this trail. all of sudden, this little, a hole family walks up, having two dogs walking beside them as they push their starter family babies in their strollers. the dogs see me and my dog, get aggressive, and come running at me and my dog. they don't attack but they are clearly very territorial/aggressive. it also pisses me off when owners bring their dogs - dogs that the owner knows is super aggressive and fearful of other dogs - to dog parks.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If somebody is afraid of flying, they can stay away from aeroplanes. If somebody is afraid of dogs, it isn't reasonable to expect them to stay indoors forever. It absolutely doesn't matter why a person is afraid of dogs, they shouldn't have to be exposed to them by irresponsible owners.

I just have this image now of a plane bounding up to someone because the pilot didnt leave the parking brake on.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
While the OP's story sucks I have to admit there's nothing cooler than a well-trained dog who just hangs the fuck out with their owner everywhere without a need for a leash and doesn't cause any trouble. Sadly this is rarely the case but I definitely have known some over the years and been envious.
this is my dog.
we have a dog door at our house. She lets her self out, hangs out on the front porch, back porch, front yard, side yard and doesnt wander. She just watches the neighbors come and go.

When i walk with her in our neighborhood she's off leash and just walks next to me. When i used to take her to public places, she was on leash.
yea, actually a well trained dog is really cool.

i have always been an advocate of training your dog. And i mean really training them, not "potty training" and call it a day. They need to listen and obey for their safety, yours and other people and pets. Unfortunately far far too many people dont do much beyond potty training and "sit"

grandmastashi

Nov 6, 2017
The phrase 'he's only playing' is the tagline of irresponsible dog owners who think everyone adores their animal as much as they do...

About a decade ago my ageing, frail mum and I were slowly walking onto the street she's lived in most of her life when a huge Alsatian who wasn't on a lead bounded over and jumped up on her.

She's a delicate soul who walks on a frame and suffers very badly with her nerves, so this was a big shock to her.

The dog belonged to meathead guy at the bottom of the street who was constantly outside working in his garage with the door wide open, so the dog would always be hang around there.

The POS laughed as I tried to push the dog away from her, so I shouted 'call your f'ing' dog off' and he said 'he's only playing'.

Same thing happened to me when I was about five, I was playing with a kite on West Kirby beach with my dad. We were both looking up, when a boxer dog came running over and 'outta knowhere' jumped on me, knocking me to the ground.

A middle aged couple came over to my furious dad who was trying to get the dog off me (i was terrified), laughing and were shocked when he gave them a mouthful... same phrase 'he's only playing'.

Spoilers...

I like cats.

SleeperBWG

Dec 18, 2018
A few months ago some random Staffadshire Terrier ran up to me in the middle of the street. Completely unwatched, not an owner anywhere.

What sort of idiot let's a dangerous dog like that just roam free in the street?

I really genuinely believe there needs to be a licence for owning certain dogs. Some people just shouldn't be allowed them (and by some I mean 90% of everyone who has a Pitbull or equivilent).
I hate when people blame dog breeds. Pitbulls and the equivalent are not mean by nature and just ticking time bombs as I see some refer to them as. It all depends on the owner. I see FAR more mean little dogs than large dogs because of how people train them. If fact I could say I have seen far more well trained "dangerous dogs" (i.e. Pitbulls, German Shepard, rottweilers) than I do small breed dogs that people seem to give a "oh well" attitude towards when they bite or growl.

Bottom line is it is all about the owner and how they train their pet.

EDIT: But they should be leashed, completely agree there.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I hate when people blame dog breeds. Pitbulls and the equivalent are not mean by nature and just ticking time bombs as I see some refer to them as. It all depends on the owner. I see FAR more mean little dogs than large dogs because of how people train them. If fact I could say I have seen far more well trained "dangerous dogs" (i.e. Pitbulls, German Shepard, rottweilers) than I do small breed dogs that people seem to give a "oh well" attitude towards when they bite or growl.

Bottom line is it is all about the owner and how they train their pet.

Didn't blame the breed. Thats why I said the owners should need liscneces.

A responsible owner can keep a dangerous dog completely under control. However it's always the worst type of owner that gravitates towards the more dangerous breed of dogs. Not that I mean to generalise but I can't remember the last time I saw a terrier that wasn't owned by some skinhead who wasn't looking after it properly.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This is one area of civilization that Greece is still Eastern Europe as fuck. I don't give a shit if you want to look cool or not, keep your dog on a leash. I see these fuckers with their tracksuits and full arm tatoos, no leash and a massive pitbull just roaming around and I am screaming internally. I am great with dogs and they love me, but when it comes to strangers and their pets I am on full defense with larger breeds

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
People are always thinking their dogs are so "friendly" and good at recall, that nothing bad will ever happen, or that everyone should just endure random dogs jumping on them. I love dogs, but fuck that.

Dogs can run into traffic, jump/knock over people, chase other animals, set off more aggressive dogs, run away, etc. No matter how good you think your dog is most of the time, doesn't change that things can and will eventually happen. It's also just safer for your dog to stay on a leash. You can pull them away faster from dangerous situations when you need to. It's being preventive and responsible.

It's a sure sign of an irresponsible and entitled owner if their dog is wandering around in a public space unleashed. Leash your dogs and control their behavior.

SleeperBWG

Dec 18, 2018
Didn't blame the breed. Thats why I said the owners should need liscneces.

A responsible owner can keep a dangerous dog completely under control. However it's always the worst type of owner that gravitates towards the more dangerous breed of dogs. Not that I mean to generalise but I can't remember the last time I saw a terrier that wasn't owned by some skinhead who wasn't looking after it properly.
Ok, thank you for the distinction. I used to own a Pit and he was one of it not the most well trained dog I have had (as well as easy to train) so it's a bit of a sore spot for me when people bring up Pits as a bad dog breed and that's why I'm quick to jump to their defense. I have always had the opposite experience and the people with large breed dogs have made sure they train them well due to the stigma and the potential damage they could inflict if they weren't well trained and went off.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Ok, thank you for the distinction. I used to own a Pit and he was one of it not the most well trained dog I have had (as well as easy to train) so it's a bit of a sore spot for me when people bring up Pits as a bad dog breed and that's why I'm quick to jump to their defense. I have always had the opposite experience and the people with large breed dogs have made sure they train them well due to the stigma and the potential damage they could inflict if they weren't well trained and went off.

I understand. A lot of people call for Pitbulls to be killed, I don't think that. That's a ridiculous stance.

Also I'm probably being anecdotal and speaking hyperbole in my previous posts, hut Flfor the record though, I actually think all animal owners should require a liscence, whether that be dogs or hamsters or whatever.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
We're buying fencing. Although my dog is sweet, my neighbor hates when she (rarely) escapes to his courtyard. My dog also chased the mailman this Spring so I'm already walking on eggs here (managed to escape thanks to snow accumulation). I wasn't sure if fencing would be worth it, but it seems my dog will occasionnaly try and escape just for fun.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I see it all the time in NYC. I get scared a dog will get scared, run and get hit by a car. They usually let small breeds off leash, idiots!

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Haha something I can rant about.

So there's this trail I like to hike that has a sign that clearly reads "No Dogs on Trail", right at the entrance. The same sign also tells you about the trail right next to it that SPECIFICALLY ALLOWS dogs (while leashed).

I have seen at least one dog on the "No Dogs" trail every single time I've been there. Like, on a cold winter's morning where there's seemingly no one else except me....here comes some dumbshit lady with her dog.

Half the time they're not leashed.....

....and people just leave dog shit on the trail.

Anyways one day I'm fishing by the river right off the "No Dogs" trail, and two dobermans come crashing through the woods, jumping into the river in front of me. This is dangerous because I can accidentally hook them, they can get tangled up in the line, etc. Plus they instantly scared all the fish away lol.

I look around to see where the owner is, and I see no one. Now the dogs are barking at me. One is in front, and one is behind me. I'm standing there solo while these fucking Mr Burns looking ass death dogs are barking at me, and the owner is nowhere to be seen.

As I'm standing there getting barked at thinking "am I gonna have to stab one of these things?", I hear someone yell "hey no!" or some shit, and the dogs retreat back to some old dude wearing rain boots. He goes "sorry about that" and walks away.

The fuck bro?!?!?!

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
I hate running in my neighborhood with idiots and their huge dogs unleashed right by the sidewalk. Usually a bark will scare the shit out of me, I'll turn to see the big ass dog either lunging or running towards followed by the owner yelling four or five times before it stops. It's very unsettling.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
My dog is very protective of us and if another dog runs up when he's on leash he can get pretty agressive(barking growling no attacks). If both dogs are leashed he is fine. One time I was hiking in a pretty secluded area and took my dog off leash. He was fine and stayed close. A couple of women were coming down the mountain with their dog off leash and it ran ahead of them to me and my dog. I knew better than to leash my dog at that point, because I knew it would make my dog more anxious. Luckily they just sniffed each other and it was fine.

Op I would get an air horn and blast it if the dogs run up again or if she comes by your house. Maybe she will start taking another route.

Oct 25, 2017
I only let my sister's Yorkie off the leash at the park I go at. She usually bothers someone to be friendly and doesn't like other dogs.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
My dog is very protective of us and if another dog runs up when he's on leash he can get pretty agressive(barking growling no attacks). If both dogs are leashed he is fine. One time I was hiking in a pretty secluded area and took my dog off leash. He was fine and stayed close. A couple of women were coming down the mountain with their dog off leash and it ran ahead of them to me and my dog. I knew better than to leash my dog at that point, because I knew it would make my dog more anxious. Luckily they just sniffed each other and it was fine.

Op I would get an air horn and blast it if the dogs run up again or if she comes by your house. Maybe she will start taking another route.

Now THIS is an idea. Thank you!

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I pick up my dog whenever I see a dog who isn't on a leash. I'm not going to let someone's irresponsibility get my dog hurt. People need to follow the laws for the safety of their dogs and others.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
As an owner of a small dog that walks him daily, always leashed, it pisses me off. I would hear all these peeps telling me that he should be off the leash cause it seems I'm in the wrong by being responsible!! In the public space always have your dogs with a leash.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
There's a hiking trail I've been walking my two puppos at for years. For every leashed dog, there are 9 unleashed ones. Mine stick to me like glue to the point where it gets annoying, so I don't leash them unless I see a dog I don't recognize (there are a ton of regular walkers there).

It's definitely not like that in more urban cities, though. They, uh, actually have signage.

Elliot Pudge

Oct 25, 2017
fuck anyone who walks around with their dog not on a leash

had some asshole walking towards me with her bull dog, damn thing ran up and bit me on the hand

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
All the time where I live. I escourt people to their cars with stuff they purchased and constantly have dogs jump on me. Just recently I started telling people in allergic cause it's out of hand.

Steve9842017

Nov 7, 2017
It shouldn't surprise me at this point, but the lack of awareness and idiocy from some dog owners still blows my mind. As some people shouldn't have kids, some people shouldn't have animals either.

We have a corgi who loves playing in the big dog sections at dog parks near us. He thinks he's a big dog, and he loves herding all of the bigger dogs. The parks have been great, but as of late there's been a few close-calls where we immediately have to pick our boy up and leave in fear of another person's aggressive dog.

Recent example: small lady, probably 5ft tall, is walking to the gate (more like barely hanging on) with 4 leashes of her 4 giant dogs (a few GSD, a husky, etc). Her dogs are chomping at the bit as they walk past the small dog section, and sure enough as another owner is leaving, all of her dogs start attacking this dog unprovoked. The owner actually had to kick and pry one of them to get it off of his dog. Meanwhile the lady is screaming bloody murder at this guy for kicking her dog, yet saying nothing to the fact her dog was viciously attacking his.

She still had the nerve to come into the park. Needless to say everyone left within a few minutes.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Dogs here walk off leash on trails or play in grass fields. I do think it's strange to walk a dog off leash on a normal side walk. I think it's also super shit to not have the dog in eyesight, where it's doing it's own thing or jumping on people.

The response from some people here is insane, kicking someone's dog because it's approaching? I get it if it's growling/barking/lunging, but if it's just casually walking, why would anyone's first instinct to hurt the animal? That's fucked.

I have a dog, I only walk him off leash on designated trails or in parks when no ones around. Sometimes I'll drop the leash if he decides to play with another dog on a sidewalk briefly, so the leashes don't get tangled. I have full control over my dog and he's always close or in sight and I would never put him in a position to do something dumb or get himself hurt/in trouble.

I do think there are a lot of bad dog owners. I have seen more than my fair share. I've stopped going to "dog parks" because there are so many terrible owners in there who bring dogs that don't know how to behave or just don't care. I've seen a lot of dumb dog owners in general on the street. A lot of dog owners don't know how to train their dog, see behaviours or signs that their dog is going to do something or even know how to correct those behaviours or prevent anything from happening.

Training your dog is something that should be a continuous thing, not something you stop because it's a few years old.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
Unleashed dogs while I'm hiking are the worst. Happened again yesterday, two guys walking with 3 unleashed dogs and all 3 barked at me and one tried to chase me.

Luckily, the owner managed to grab him in time but I wonder if I need to start carrying some sort of self defense in my backpack.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dog owners put their pets above other people. It's just sad how they care more about an animal than another human.

That's why they think it is fine when their pets do stuff that annoys others.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
It would be hypocritical of me to not be somewhat forgiving of people that break leash rules if they use good judgment about it, because I'll admit that my wife and I break that rule in our neighborhood in a specific scenario—we have a green belt with a lightly-trafficked walking trail through it directly behind our house, and we'll go out there to throw a disc or ball for our two dogs, as our fenced yard isn't big enough to really get them running. We have good visibility to both distant ends of the green belt, and they go back in our yard or on leash if anyone enters.

It's so much more convenient to be able to do that to exercise them than packing them in the car and driving 10 minutes to the nearest off-leash dog park, but the rules are the rules and our own attempts to be responsible and considerate about breaking them are ultimately not that relevant, so if a neighbor objected to what we were doing that would be fair. We've been doing it for several years with no issues or incidents, but I am ambivalent about it.

Walking your dog off leash on a trail or sidewalk or really anywhere they have a chance to approach other people or dogs, is definitely being rude. You really cannot allow a situation where your dog runs up on people, and if you're relying on your dog's recall training or general temperament to avoid that situation, you've already kind of fucked up.

Last edited:

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find most dogs will back away if you give them a firm but not hard smack in the side using the top of your shoe rather than the toe. Not anywhere near hard enough to injure but enough to make them realize they don't own the street.

Zach

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care if your animal is off-leash if it doesn't run up on me and my dog. If you can't guarantee that, put it on a leash for everybody's safety, fool.

(I've had several run-ins with idiots at the park.)

Deleted member 56773

Banned
May 16, 2019
I recently had a dog chase my dog and I had to run with her and the stupid dog owner finally caught up and I told her to put her dog on a leash and she told me to fuck off.

People got issues and are ignorant and irresponsible. You just gotta hope nothing horrible happens to you because of it, unfortunately.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I was walking my two, ten pound chihuhua mixes, on leashes, through our old California neighborhood and this dude's doberman just rushed out and tried to attack one of them. Of course, this dog was unleashed and thankfully reflexes I didn't know I had kicked in and I was able to swoop my dog up and prevent this animal from killing her.

He shrugs it off with a "he's never done that before" as if my dog somehow aggro'd his by just minding her own damn business

GET HIM ON A FUCKING LEASH YOU TRASH

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I was walking my two, ten pound chihuhua mixes, on leashes, through our old California neighborhood and this dude's doberman just rushed out and tried to attack one of them. Of course, this dog was unleashed and thankfully reflexes I didn't know I had kicked in and I was able to swoop my dog up and prevent this animal from killing her.

He shrugs it off with a "he's never done that before" as if my dog somehow aggro'd his by just minding her own damn business

GET HIM ON A FUCKING LEASH YOU TRASH

And of course the NEXT time it happens he will STILL say "he's never done that before"

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
And of course the NEXT time it happens he will STILL say "he's never done that before"

That's exactly what we said. Because if it has happened once it's probably happened before. We're pretty sure we weren't the first.

If something had happened to one of my dogs I probably would have committed a felony. I was beyond angry and people who allow their dogs to walk without leashes are entitled and selfish. I love dogs but they act on instinct and no matter how well trained they are you can't account for every possible decision they might make - having a leash is an added layer of protection.

But some owners just don't care.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
We had a similar issue when we moved into our neighborhood last year. It's particularly annoying when it involves dogs trespassing on your property or (I'd imagine) involving kids.

We directly confronted the offenders as well as we could and complained to the HOA, and got video of their dogs. One owner has since been using a leash and better controlling her animal, the other just stays away from our property.

Last edited:

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was hospitalized twice as a kid because of stupid assholes like some of you in this thread.

Use a god damn leash.

lostsupper

Oct 25, 2017
Good dogs can be off-leash. Hyperactive or aggressive dogs should be on a leash. If seeing a dog walk calmly with its owner sends you into fits of terror, your problem isn't the dog.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dog owners put their pets above other people. It's just sad how they care more about an animal than another human.

That's why they think it is fine when their pets do stuff that annoys others.
Yep this is the issue. Selfish deranged people equivocating their precious doggos to children and putting their feelings above everyone's safety. It's gross. Hell, there's a poster or two in this thread doing it. Lol at threatening to break kneecaps for your damn dog. If your dog is unleashed and charges a person, it's your own damn fault for whatever happens. Stop being a selfish asshole and leash your pets unless you're in a designated area for unleashing or extremely rural place.

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing how quickly one can reveal themselves to be a liar. Also yeah, your daughter will think you're a big strong hero when you stomp that pupper's skull in right in front of her. People on this site, I swear.

Ok.

1) Liar? I like dogs. Prove I don't I suppose?
2) Pupper? Grow up. It's a dog. It's not a Pupper, or a Doggo or a Good Boy, or a Fwuffy Widdle Sossidge. It's a dog and although to you it might be as gentle as a summers breeze and you know and can predict all its glorious moods; my daughter and I have no idea what your dog's intentions are when it comes barking and leaping into our face. Playing? Entirely possible. Being a bit bitey? Possibly. Covering us in dirt? I don't know, but the point, obviously, is that I shouldn't have to be in the position to try and establish what the fuck your dog is doing because you have an inability to stop it leaping on strangers.

And yep, if either of my kids appeared to be in genuine danger from a dog, you'd better believe I'd do everything in my power to stop that happening and if that means stamping on your fluffy little child substitute then I'll do it in a heartbeat. And that would be on the owner for fundamentally failing to control their animal.