• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
For my very first thread on ResetEra, I've decided to make a thread about an interesting topic that's been on my mind for some time now. The age range of users on this forum varies wildly and we all were first introduced to gaming during different periods and in different ways. Whether due to our age or other reasons, I'm sure many of us have missed out on certain things in gaming.

Are there any time periods you didn't get to experience due to not being alive when they happened or you just simply missed out on them for other reasons? For me personally, I would pick the 90's. Specifically the SNES and N64 eras. The N64 in particular is a very special console to me and I just wish I could've experienced playing all those games when they originally came out. I was born in the late 90's so I obviously missed out on that era of gaming sadly. Gaming was so different back then. Cartridges were still being used (yes, I know the Switch has cartridges, but I'm talking about those big, blocky ancient cartridges), it was the heyday of local multiplayer on consoles, lots of devs/pubs were in their prime, the Internet was in its infancy and wasn't as widespread or advanced as it is today, Sega was still in the console business, arcades were popular, etc. etc. It was just a completely different time that I wish I could've been around for.

What about the rest of you guys? Pick any time period or periods in gaming you missed out on but wish you didn't. It could be anything from a specific console's lifespan, or a specific decade, or an entire console generation, or even a specific time period within a developer's or publisher's history. Anything!

Discuss.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would have loved to experienced the golden age of arcade games (1979 to 1990, roughly), but I was born just at the tail end of it, so I got to experience the SNES/Genesis era instead.

EarthBound64

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Being born in 1982, aside from wishing I had a bit more time when arcades were more prevalent, I think I'm pretty good with what I got.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I first played FFVII in 2010 (my first FF) and I always wished I had played it during its zeitgeist. In some ways I feel like I did since I've read so much about the game's history on top of beating it twice.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I was one of the kids programming on a Sinclair Spectrum in the early 80's. Love being a part of the NES generation, but I wish it had come with a keyboard.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I first played FFVII in 2010 (my first FF) and I always wished I had played it during its zeitgeist. In some ways I feel like I did since I've read so much about the game's history on top of beating it twice.
FFVII was crazy at my high school in the UK. Everyone was playing it. People who'd never played a JRPG before and everything. Friends of mine were playing it and didn't understand what 'levels' were or why you had to wait turns for combat. I was a tabletop D&D player so I had a headstart but everyone just loved it. It was a phenomenon.

JoeG

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Dad bought me Pong when I came home from the hospital. Experienced most of the history of gaming and what I miss most is the 80s/90s arcade. Mostly chasing down Mortal Kombat 2 revisons when a new cabinet would get refreshed somewhere. Carrying lists of moves to compare with others. Ah....I can smell those dark smokey rooms still.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFVII was crazy at my high school in the UK. Everyone was playing it. People who'd never played a JRPG before and everything. Friends of mine were playing it and didn't understand what 'levels' were or why you had to wait turns for combat. I was a tabletop D&D player so I had a headstart but everyone just loved it. It was a phenomenon.
I'm from the UK too. I was only in Year 2 when it came out so I think I would have struggled and probably found it boring.

One funny thing though. I remember seeing artwork of Cloud, his sword and motorbikein gaming magazines of the time and thinking "wow this game is on it's SEVENTH one. That must be a very big storyline going on!" If only I had followed my childhood curiosities and actually begged my parents for the game!

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
So many multiplayer games. I was lucky enough to be a part of classic SOCOM, Halo 2/3 at launch, vanilla WoW, and some other good ones. But no Ultima, Everquest, Quake, or other communties that became legendary. Even now, I don't play many new games so I'm missing out on stuff like PUBG and Destiny.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's PC gaming in the late 80s and early 90s. My family didn't have a PC until way later, and even then it was pretty strictly for school and nothing else. It would also have been pretty incredible to know what a bustling arcade was like in its hay day.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I got a lot of arcade experience in the early 90s. I honestly don't feel like I missed out on anything, but being around for Atari home consoles would have been cool.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wish I could have experienced the release of the Sega Genesis but at the same time, I was just the right age for Pokémania in the late 90s so I think my childhood was pretty fun.

Oct 27, 2017
Vista, CA
Even though I've been playing games since Atari was new, I kinda checked out during the PS1 generation, then picked back up for the PS2. I missed a metric ton of jrpgs that I've slowly been catching back up on.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Electro-mechanial arcade games of the 60s and 70s
chopper1.jpg

fdc8e0e30f1ede46eee210174b849518.jpg

DSC_2520.jpg

they're shallow as hell but i just love the design and analog mechanics of it all

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
Started at the original Mario NES so I didn't miss much, but I guess I would've liked to be a little older when arcades were in their prime.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had been around for the SNES vs Genesis era. Bloodiest console war of all time; even today when you ask which had better sound or which Lion King was better the knives come out. Also one of the most even, with fantastic exclusives on each system that are still lauded today. It was only a little bit before my time, but it would've been an interesting experience.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Experiencing Arcades, especially for fighting games. I love watching old tournaments of Street Fighter Third Strike and other fighting games on Youtube and wishing I was there.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We didn't really have a good arcade in my town growing up. I got to play tons of different arcade games at places like the roller rink or the pizza pie parlor, but I'm super jealous of kids that lived near one of the big arcades. 80's arcades were like dive bars for kids.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
Been there, played pong (Video Olympics) on the Atari 2600, but really got my taste for games on the Commodore 64 (hence my username). Zaxxon, Impossible Mission, Commando, Winter Olympics, Kung Fu Master, Gradius. That stuff fascinated me, and it all still does. I've seen each generation come and go, and its been so interesting to see both how young gaming as a medium still is, and how far it has come over the last nearly 40 years, and how far it seems its capable of going.

JohanKRS

Oct 27, 2017
Torres, RS - Brazil
PC gaming in the 80's and early 90's. I was born in 82, and got an Atari when I was 6, followed by a NES (clone, I don't think I ever saw an original NES here in Brazil until I was much older), Mega Drive, SNES... I got my first PC in 1997 and for a long while all the games I got for it were shovelware on magazine CDs. I did catch up on some classics later on, but it's not the same thing as experiencing as it was happening.

JoeG

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Electro-mechanial arcade games of the 60s and 70s
chopper1.jpg

fdc8e0e30f1ede46eee210174b849518.jpg

DSC_2520.jpg

they're shallow as hell but i just love the design and analog mechanics of it all

Woah! I remember a few of these hanging around in the back of arcades when I was a kid and had pretty much forgotten about them until your post!

Aquila

Oct 27, 2017
SNES/Genesis era. I grew up with a good selection of games on a hand-me-down NES and GameBoy but my family had bigger problems by the time those two consoles released. I do have some fond memories of couch coop with my best friend then and his dad on all the Donkey Kong County games.

PS2. I had terrible tastes then and only used it for GTA and Ace Combat.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I missed the PS2 and i kinda regret it, i was done with consoles at the time because of the N64 and Dreamcast. But i almost saw it all.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atari 2600. Love a lot of those games, even to this day they have this peculiar and charming atmosphere. Would've been magical playing them at the time they released.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Born in 1975, so I've pretty much lived it all from Atari and arcades to today. Ton of great eras.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About the only thing I missed was the arcade craze of the early 80's and stuff like the Magnavox Odyssey and Vectrex and a buttload of pong consoles. I don't think I missed too much otherwise.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I was born in '90, so I got to play the SNES during its day. BUT, I never played any of the RPGs at that time. I wish I could have played Chrono Trigger/FF6 (my top 2 rpgs ever), etc. when they released, because if they blow my mind today (despite their numerical age), I kinda want to know what it would have been like to experience them right when they released. Other than that, I think I was born at the perfect time to see the transition from 2d to 3d, aka I have no regrets.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of early PC games really interest me, but I have a difficult time going back and dealing with their interfaces.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
About the only thing I missed was the arcade craze of the early 80's and stuff like the Magnavox Odyssey and Vectrex and a buttload of pong consoles. I don't think I missed too much otherwise.

I was really little when we had an Odyssey. It was crazy putting plastic cling sheets to our Zenith television to create "graphics". It was actually a fairly smart invention since almost everyone owned the same tv with the same size screen.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I 100% missed out on arcades pretty much. I played a bit in FYE and Smiles when they still had machines but that was when I was very young. Luckily I was around for Snes so I got to see the huge jump from Snes to N64 so that was appreciated.

Also I feel like there is going to be a ton of people who miss out on some really good games this gen. Maybe it is because there is so much to play on so many platforms I don't know. I showed my buddy a video of Cuphead today expecting him to be amazed and he just thought it was some dumb phone game. Meanwhile he's playing Fallout 4 on a TV that has such bad ghosting or whatever its called that it made me dizzy.

langgi

Oct 27, 2017
Southeast Asia
I was born in the very last year of the '80s, started gaming in mid-'90s. From where I born and live (Southeast Asia), coin-op arcades still hyped even to mid-'90s, same with Japanese consoles BUT we never got the chance to see the glory days of floppy-disk era gaming like Doom or Wolf3D. The adoption rate for PC here wasn't that high back then (I guess still true even now). I wish I can see and experience the Doom-craze.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I would have loved to experienced the golden age of arcade games (1979 to 1990, roughly), but I was born just at the tail end of it, so I got to experience the SNES/Genesis era instead.

I spent a lot of time in Aladin's Castle and Babbages in my youth. I was poor and cheap so I couldn't play a lot of games but I watched kids play arcade games, just like people today watch streamers. I loved when my family went to the mall because that meant I got to hang out with "the gamers". That is funny to think back at now vs where society is today.

kegkilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The snes Era. Was born in 92 so I have played snes but wish I could have experienced it like I have the past 3 gens.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
A lot of early PC games really interest me, but I have a difficult time going back and dealing with their interfaces.

My favorite games to reminisce on are the gold box AD&D games. I beat Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds and I tried to play them a few years ago and it was impossible. At their time they were incredible but they didn't hold up with age.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wish I experienced WoW at launch. I didn't play it until years later (Mists era I think) so missed a lot.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I have been gaming since the early 80s so I have experienced all almost of it.

The one thing I missed out on was WOW and some other PC games when I fell out of PC gaming in the 2000s. Would have been cool to have played that in the moment (though then again hearing what a time sink that game was maybe better I missed it).

futurememory

Oct 27, 2017
I had an NES growing up, so I really didn't miss much in terms of the consoles.

I would have loved to have been around for the early 80s PC gaming. The era of the text adventure/interactive fiction (hence the avatar!). Also, arcade culture in the US. I was a bit young (played some pinball and Ms. Pac-Man in places like bowling alleys) for actual competitive play.