• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
www.nola.com

Man hit and killed by Endymion float in 2nd 'horrific' accident during Mardi Gras

In the second shocking parade-related death of the 2020 Carnival season, a man was hit and killed by a float Saturday night as the Krewe of Endymion rolled down Canal

A person was hit and killed by a Krewe of Endymion float on Saturday night, marking the second float-related death during the 2020 Carnival season, according to New Orleans police.
The person's identity is unknown at this time; witnesses said the person killed appeared to be an adult male.
The accident occurred at Canal and South Galvez streets.

Float No. 13 will be the last float, city officials said at 7:25 p.m. The remainder of the parade -- some 23 floats -- will be cancelled and the remaining floats and marching groups will not continue on the route.
By the time of the cancellation, the beginning of the parade was near the end of the route at St. Charles Avenue and Julia Street, according to WWL-TV.

Though such accidents are rare, the fatality was the second one of the 2020 Carnival season involving a parade float.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand,
Though such accidents are rare, the fatality was the second one of the 2020 Carnival season involving a parade float.
On the other hand,
Wikipedia said:
On February 25, 2017, impaired driver Neilson Rizzuto injured between 28 and 32 people when his pickup truck hit two cars and a parade crowd and crashed into a dump truck. Terrorism was quickly ruled out when a breathalyzer test was three times legal driving limit. No deaths occurred due to the incident.

On March 2, 2019, impaired driver, Tashonty Toney, killed two people and injured seven others when he plowed through a bicycle lane during the parade.
I wonder if it was impaired driving again. I know it's a party but maybe there should be some sort of rules about drinking and driving.

EDIT: Mudcrab pointed out that the above incidents weren't parade floats.

Last edited:

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
This is crazy.
I've been going to Mardi Gras parades in New Orleans my entire life and I can't remember any time a float has run over a person. Certainly not twice in one year. People have fallen off floats and died, people have been killed by a car on the others side of the parade route, people have been shot... but run over. Not a good look. Sorry for all involved.

We were at Endymion tonight towards the beginning of the route and around float 32 the parade stopped in front of us for what felt like 30 minutes... and the news that the parade was cancelled spread through the crowd and pandemonium broke loose with people trying to leave while floats were still in the road. Surreal.

The biggest parade of Mardi Gras. Canceled.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand,

On the other hand,

I wonder if it was impaired driving again. I know it's a party but maybe there should be some sort of rules about drinking and driving.

???

Yes drinking and driving is always illegal even during during Mardi Gras, besides the cases you're referencing wasn't someone driving a float.

The death that happened earlier this year was result of someone trying to run in-between a tandem float but unfortunately got tripped up.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
???

Yes drinking and driving is always illegal even during during Mardi Gras, besides the case you're referencing wasn't someone driving a float.
Ah, I see. I only saw it because I wasn't sure what the Krewe of Endymion was and was looking through their wikipedia page.

Upsetting either way. RIP to those killed.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand,

On the other hand,

With respect to that drunk driving incident, I was witness to that. The parade had nothing to do with it.
The parades usually pass on one side of the street and there's a median (we call a neutral ground here) where cars don't go and then the other lanes past that. So the parade is going on on one side of the road and this drunk driver was in traffic on that other side of the road, he got into minor accident with a car, people tried to stop him and he just started driving like crazy hitting people. It was scary.

Last edited:

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
This is crazy.
I've been going to Mardi Gras parades in New Orleans my entire life and I can't remember any time a float has run over a person. Certainly not twice in one year. People have fallen off floats and died, people have been killed by a car on the others side of the parade route, people have been shot... but run over. Not a good look. Sorry for all involved.

We were at Endymion tonight towards the beginning of the route and around float 32 the parade stopped in front of us for what felt like 30 minutes... and the news that the parade was cancelled spread through the crowd and pandemonium broke loose with people trying to leave while floats were still in the road. Surreal.

The biggest parade of Mardi Gras. Canceled.
Maybe 8 or 9 years ago parade stopped on st Charles for a long time. Kevin Costner was on the head float. A guy got run over by a float and died. Think it was the brother of the guy driving the tractor.

Not to be morbid but it's a miracle people don't die each year. The crowd will be 7 or 8 people deep and you're so close to the floats

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe 8 or 9 years ago parade stopped on st Charles for a long time. Kevin Costner was on the head float. A guy got run over by a float and died. Think it was the brother of the guy driving the tractor.

Not to be morbid but it's a miracle people don't die each year. The crowd will be 7 or 8 people deep and you're so close to the floats

They just mentioned that event you're referring to on the news.
That was a crew member who got stuck in between a tandem float as he was getting off the float at the end of the parade.... ironically, the same float involved in this year's Endymion accident. The distinction being that this happened to a spectator tonight. The news on WWL has been saying it's been 39 years since a spectator has been killed by a float. Apparently a 3 year old girl was run over back in 1981.

The mayor has now banned tandem floats for the rest of the year.

I have no idea where they're going to get all the tractors they're going to need to split up all the tandem floats...

Last edited:

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Update: an eyewitness on the WWL news said the man who was killed was next to the float, enjoying the parade and trying to catch throws from the float when another person pushed him down ... for beads, and the float moved forward, crushing him.

Just terrible if true. Killed for plastic beads. 😑

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Update: an eyewitness on the WWL news said the man who was killed was next to the float, enjoying the parade and trying to catch throws from the float when another person pushed him down ... for beads, and the float moved forward, crushing him.

Just terrible if true. Killed for plastic beads. 😑
Fuck. :( Thanks for the update.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Update 2: the news just showed video someone shot on a cell phone of the incident ...yikes.

You can't tell if he's pushed or not. The man is only visible in the shot for a split second. But he was definitely moving at a high rate of speed from next to the float to underneath it. Almost looked like he was running towards the float.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
They just mentioned that event you're referring to on the news.
That was a crew member who got stuck in between a tandem float as he was getting off the float at the end of the parade.... ironically, the same float involved in this year's Endymion accident. The distinction being that this happened to a spectator tonight. The news on WWL has been saying it's been 39 years since a spectator has been killed by a float. Apparently a 3 year old girl was run over back in 1981.

The mayor has now banned tandem floats for the rest of the year.

I have no idea where they're going to get all the tractors they're going to need to split up all the tandem floats...
Fuck. Yeah I think it was the year the saints won the super bowl. Man your updates were helpful but shit that is a horrible way to go