• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
First impression is that he's not exactly intuitive to play and finding KO's is certainly going to be a chore against fighters that can deal with his charge counter. Fox and Pichu might be a pain. He'll probably do a lot better against fighters with linear playstyles.

But, he also does have good attacks. Up tilt, forward tilt, up air and back air in particular are quite versatile and with Arsene they become incredibly scary. Not too sure about his specials yet; trying to apply Gun is a surprising risk and even as a movement option it just leaves you too vulnerable during start up.

I really didn't like playing as Piranha Plant when that was released, but Joker so far has been pretty fun.

It also took long enough for the update to download!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"What would happen if we gave the internet the power to make anything into a smash stage?"

Internet:
IpYSGXt.jpg

I've also seen Loss and 9/11 stages.
Oh man those are actually all pretty great. Even the crudest one (mario pissing) is hilarious and climax is well done too

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just tried a few matches online with Joker. Saying he's "not exactly intuitive" is absolutely right. But I feel he has some potential. (I actually won one of my earliest matches with him in a four player free for all. And came in second in my second match with him.)

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
His B and up recovery seems really good. I've made some recoveries I would have struggled with with some other characters. Really neat playstyle :@)

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I think Joker plays beautifully. Crisp clean movement, quick and snappy, super fast. The grappling hook is ridiculous, probably the most reliable tether recovery in the game. I don't quite grasp how the gun works, but I think it has potential. The side special looked dull in the video but works nicely in practice. Still wrapping my head around when and how to use the counter to charge the gauge. All things considered, I'm digging him so far, although I will probably continue to main K. Rool and Y. Link.

One thing is for certain: Mementos is amazing.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
fun fact: manually upping player damage will build meter. set yourself to 999% for instant max meter
Wow interesting. I remember they said in the Direct that you build meter faster when your opponent has a stock or percentage lead, so I wonder if thats why you get instant full meter from being at 999%. The game recognizes your massive percentage deficit.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I think Joker is going to be a high skill ceiling character that most players just aren't going to get the most out of because of his play style. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised however if we see people absolutely kicking ass with him at EVO.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Joker is... OK so far. Gun's fun, stage is great, but I'm struggling to get any fluidity or decent kills. Honestly preferred Piranha Plant (hiding in poison clouds and doing a down B kill >>).

Stage editor is the real hype though. I've made half a dozen stages already, and I'm trying to master a rotating stage gimmick. The fan stages are... interesting.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Haha that felt so good beating some duck taunting piece of trash.

They were so mad cuz that first stock wasn't going their way at all at first. Then they got a lucky reflect and started teabagging like a douche.

I usually don't use that REKT shit but this jackass deserved it. Must feel like a dumbass now for starting shit they couldn't finish.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Joker seems pretty fun.

Up B is actually good unlike Ivysaur's trash equivalent. Makes chasing off stage pretty safe.

Down B seems a bit ridiculous. Looks like it's basically just super armour that doesn't break lol

Last edited:

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Huh? Where? To what account does it get uploaded to??
If you go to the app, you can the profile icon on the bottom right and then click on your posts. From there, there will be an arrow. If you click it, you can select copy and it will copy the link to the video.
How through the app? I can't find any way to search.
I dunno how to search for other people's videos but see above for how to find your own.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Yeah I just got the app and found it, wow.

Holy crap, gotta say I'm sorta impressed here.

FINALLY Smash Ultimate replays can be shared easily. Fuck yeah!

So here's that duck taunting douche.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that all videos seem to be uploaded to a "hidden" Nintendo account, I like that approach but it would be nice if there would be an option to mirror a video to your personal YT account though I guess that would be more an option for Google to implement in YT and not Nintendo in Smash.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
God damn I love this fucking game. I love replays.

I didn't even get a chance to try Joker or Stage Builder yet either! I was just busy trying to edit a few small clips.

Smash Ultimate is the GOAT.

It's interesting that all videos seem to be uploaded to a "hidden" Nintendo account, I like that approach but it would be nice if there would be an option to mirror a video to your personal YT account though I guess that would be more an option for Google to implement in YT and not Nintendo in Smash.

Yes I very much agree.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Joker ain't unlocking for me when I boot up the game. Played two matches to see if he'd show up but no dice. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: OK apparently I just didn't have the DLC downloaded? Went to my download list on the eshop and that fixed it.

Last edited:

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't pay attention to that tbh. I love Zero but he did the same clickbait 'insert character here is broken!!1!' video titles in the run up to release as well.

Yeah I know, ZeRo does do a lot of clickbait, I just thought it was funny. To be fair I watched the video and ZeRo is basically saying that Joker is broken when the persona is out, while his kill power is lacking without the persona.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of Joker (well, I've not played enough P5 to truly click with him or the rest of the cast like I did with P4), but he seems to tick all the right boxes for me in terms of playstyle.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Did they forget to include animations for Arsene on Joker's grabs and throws? He has background animations that mirror Joker for every normal attack, special attack, jump, taunt and more, yet he just stands there during grab and throw animations. It's a bit jarring haha.

Oni_J

Oct 28, 2017
Can't open a thread yet, so I guess this is the place.

Apparently Joker is breaking the game in Classic Mode.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Online is being a bit weird for me. I never had problems with 4 play smash battles and now it keeps putting me in 1-1 or sometimes 3 player matches.

I'm sure it will sort out.

Being able to download Miis is fucking rad. I've never been great at making funny Miis so this is perfect for me. Also, a lot of really great stages are already up. I sort of lost it when I saw the Skinner "Pathetic" stage

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Joker seems pretty weak before his persona is out, but feels Overpowered once the persona comes out

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Am I remembering the original version of I'll Face Myself incorrectly? Because I don't remember the original having so much of Never More in it.