• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow this didn't hit me until now, but I had wondered what all the other color schemes for Joker were referencing, other than the obvious Akechi one.

Then it hit me, this may be old news but:

17_jokercolors02.jpg

Interesting they chose to reference the origin of Aria of the Soul as "Revelations: Persona", but I guess that makes sense since that was it's official western original release. They didn't COMPLETELY leave out P1 and P2 though with these colors.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Somehow this didn't hit me until now, but I had wondered what all the other color schemes for Joker were referencing, other than the obvious Akechi one.

Then it hit me, this may be old news but:

Interesting they chose to reference the origin of Aria of the Soul as "Revelations: Persona", but I guess that makes sense since that was it's official western original release. They didn't COMPLETELY leave out P1 and P2 though with these colors.
I believe that was pointed out by a few people already, though I find it kinda funny how P2 & P5 share a color scheme.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that was pointed out by a few people already, though I find it kinda funny how P2 & P5 share a color scheme.
Yeah, at least for the PSP versions. The PS1 versions of both P1 and P2 had somewhat different color schemes, especially for P2. Also worth pointing out that those color schemes aren't as prominent in the actual game as they are on the box art like in P3, P4, and P5.

To this day that Persona 1 US box art is a mess and really doesn't tell you anything of what the game is about.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I didn't realize until now, but it is pretty weird that Jack Frost didn't show up at all. You'd think he'd be a shoe-in for a cameo in the stage background

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize until now, but it is pretty weird that Jack Frost didn't show up at all. You'd think he'd be a shoe-in for a cameo in the stage background
It kind of has me wondering if a Shin Megami Tensei character isn't completely off the table, but I don't want to get my hopes up. It would be weird to have two of the five Fighters' Pass characters be Atlus characters.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm used to people being wrong on the internet, but "Persona music is bad" is probably one of the most wrong things ever. It's probably more wrong than people who believe the earth is flat.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Look how great this content drop was. It'd be nice if the remaining 4 fighters (Brave aside) didn't get leaked and we got surprised instead, it's tiring hearing constant rumours to be honest

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Look how great this content drop was. It'd be nice if the remaining 4 fighters (Brave aside) didn't get leaked and we got surprised instead, it's tiring hearing constant rumours to be honest
It's quite difficult to avoid leaks/rumours when it comes to Smash unfortunately. Even when you don't seek that information you get exposed to it one way or another. :P

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
It's quite difficult to avoid leaks/rumours when it comes to Smash unfortunately. Even when you don't seek that information you get exposed to it one way or another. :P
Yeah haha that's the problem, I hope at the very least that the majority of leaks are incorrect. The Goku dream still lives on!

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I loved it.
Everyone was talking about Metroid Prime Trilogy at the VGAs and was so sure (I'm still sad it didn't happen), but then Nintendo came totally out of the left field with this announcement.
Apart from the datamining most of the smash rumors turned out wrong so far, so I think there will still be surprises.
And I think Nintendo will be more conscious about keeping there update files clean after the Jack and Brave thing.
So far most of the "leaks" that talk aboit Dragon Quest have some details that are off.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
It kind of has me wondering if a Shin Megami Tensei character isn't completely off the table, but I don't want to get my hopes up. It would be weird to have two of the five Fighters' Pass characters be Atlus characters.
This would be insane BUT it's still weird. I expected Jack Frost at least as a spirit but nothing. Maybe just maybe, if SMT V is handled like a second party game for Nintendo then but only then we might get a SMT protag for a fighter. And would you know, Joker has a completely different fighting style what we expected. No summoning different Persona, just Arsene, gun and a knife, tetrakarn/makarakarn for reflect no agi/zio/bufu/garu for attack. Where am I heading whit this?
Sorry, not sorry, I need SMT V in my life.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
This would be insane BUT it's still weird. I expected Jack Frost at least as a spirit but nothing. Maybe just maybe, if SMT V is handled like a second party game for Nintendo then but only then we might get a SMT protag for a fighter. And would you know, Joker has a completely different fighting style what we expected. No summoning different Persona, just Arsene, gun and a knife, tetrakarn/makarakarn for reflect no agi/zio/bufu/garu for attack. Where am I heading whit this?
Sorry, not sorry, I need SMT V in my life.
Same, they kept saying "please wait a bit longer" somewhat recently, and I would guess it would be after they talk about Persona 5 The Royals and Persona 5 S.

If they add any SMT protagonist, it without a doubt would have to be Demi-Fiend. You could argue maybe Flynn comes close in popularity, but I don't think he's above Demi-Fiend in popularity.

DEMI-FIEND

ONE MORE BRO TO SMASH WITH!

JACK FROST

HEE HO SMASH BRO!

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
a wise sage once said "there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
I honestly kind of doubt the "brave" thing being what we think it is. Given how "Jane" has yet to be anything, if it's anything, I'm not sure I believe everything that's there is the data. Was there anything else to suggest that "brave" was Erdrick?

The only other thing I think "Jane" could be at this point, if it wasn't something that was cut or an entirely different character, is a female Joker echo fighter, or that new female character in P5R. Joker came with the standard 8 color/costume variants. It would be weird to make him the only character with more than 8.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly kind of doubt the "brave" thing being what we think it is. Given how "Jane" has yet to be anything, if it's anything, I'm not sure I believe everything that's there is the data. Was there anything else to suggest that "brave" was Erdrick?

The only other thing I think "Jane" could be at this point, if it wasn't something that was cut or an entirely different character, is a female Joker echo fighter, or that new female character in P5R. Joker came with the standard 8 color/costume variants. It would be weird to make him the only character with more than 8.

Other than the Brave datamine there's Tansut (the guy who leaked Cloud in Smash For) saying his source confirmed a Dragon Quest character, most likely Erdrick.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the Brave datamine there's Tansut (the guy who leaked Cloud in Smash For) saying his source confirmed a Dragon Quest character, most likely Erdrick.
I didn't even know someone leaked Cloud in Smash For. I am guessing no one believed them at the time because it sounded so outlandish until it was announced.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Same, they kept saying "please wait a bit longer" somewhat recently, and I would guess it would be after they talk about Persona 5 The Royals and Persona 5 S.

If they add any SMT protagonist, it without a doubt would have to be Demi-Fiend. You could argue maybe Flynn comes close in popularity, but I don't think he's above Demi-Fiend in popularity.

DEMI-FIEND

ONE MORE BRO TO SMASH WITH!

JACK FROST

HEE HO SMASH BRO!

Every number we have puts SMTIV significantly above Nocturne and it was in a Nintendo system. Demi-Fiend above Flynn would just make no sense.

The bad thing about this is that due to the SMT protagonists fighting directly, I doubt they'd use demons at all outside of maybe a Final Smash (Flynn could have that cool Street Pass attack where he summons his team all at once in a 3d animation). FE is much more tied into the whole battlefield commander aspect and you don't see FE characters summoning other people for specials. Maybe we could get some demon spirits though since Persona got us nothing.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I only just noticed that one of Joker's alt costumes is Akechi...

Ugh. Stay classy JP Persona fandom.

Last edited:

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
Does anyone have the low down on the controversy that went down this weekend involving accusations by Laura Kate Dale and their being an abelist slur in the Persona music that came with this update? Could not find any discussion about here but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Every number we have puts SMTIV significantly above Nocturne and it was in a Nintendo system. Demi-Fiend above Flynn would just make no sense.

The bad thing about this is that due to the SMT protagonists fighting directly, I doubt they'd use demons at all outside of maybe a Final Smash (Flynn could have that cool Street Pass attack where he summons his team all at once in a 3d animation). FE is much more tied into the whole battlefield commander aspect and you don't see FE characters summoning other people for specials. Maybe we could get some demon spirits though since Persona got us nothing.
As far as sales I get what you mean, but I think Demi-Fiend still has more notoriety as a protagonist simply because you see him all the time in the game. You see him punch things, you see him use magic, the whole nine yards. Flynn, while you see him in third person out of battle and using weapons, battles are in first person so you don't see him beyond that. By that logic, you could argue Kazuya (SMT1) or Aleph (SMT2) over Demi-Fiend or Flynn. Demi-Fiend generally has more of an identity than Flynn, despite the fact that his game sold less.

Nanashi is definitely not even as popular as Flynn though, but I could see them making him an alt or Echo fighter of Demi-Fiend though.

Also worth pointing out that Cloud obviously doesn't sell any FF games on Nintendo platforms, but obviously no other FF rep made sense to Sakurai.

Last edited:

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have the low down on the controversy that went down this weekend involving accusations by Laura Kate Dale and their being an abelist slur in the Persona music that came with this update? Could not find any discussion about here but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

Someone emailed them saying a P5 song, Wake up Get up, Get Out There, contained a slur in a small section when the singer is talking in a quieter tone.

The author of the article didn't do any research and editor published with no actual proof that is what was said. When it was just most likely the singer, who is non native English (a Japanese woman with an accent) pronounced another word or a combination in a way that sounded like it.

It could have been retort it, or retard it (which isn't an offensive use and is a term used in music) as opposed to the slur itself. Saying the slur would have been a very odd and out of place thing compared to the words before and after it

Although lyrics have been around for years, not on that particular background vocal. Nintendo eventually affirmed that the slur is not in the lyrics (not Atlus I think)

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
There was a thread. Basically it came out that she had received an email about it possibly having that word, but she wasn't sure, so wrote the original version of the article in a much less accusatory tone, and even then didn't want to publish it until they got a comment from Nintendo. The editor at Kotaku.co.uk edited it to be the inflammatory piece it was and published anyway, and they had a policy where Laura couldn't defend herself on social media. As you can guess, the abuse she got became real transphobic real fast, in addition to ableist too. Nintendo commented and said they reached out to Atlus and that word was not in fact in it.

I feel really bad for Laura honestly. She didn't want to publish it and they threw her under the bus.

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
There was a thread. Basically it came out that she had received an email about it possibly having that word, but she wasn't sure, so wrote the original version of the article in a much less accusatory tone, and even then didn't want to publish it until they got a comment from Nintendo. The editor at Kotaku.co.uk edited it to be the inflammatory piece it was and published anyway, and they had a policy where Laura couldn't defend herself on social media. As you can guess, the abuse she got became real transphobic real fast, in addition to ableist too. Nintendo commented and said they reached out to Atlus and that word was not in fact in it.

I feel really bad for Laura honestly. She didn't want to publish it and they threw her under the bus.

Ugh really sounds like a disgusting situation, Im surprised Kotaku wouldnt let her publicly defend herself.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

That is crazy. I was following the original topic but never saw that info. Do you have a link to the proof of that? The editor who forced it sucks.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017

Wtf. That is wrong on so many levels from Kotaku. And Jason Schreier's work was just starting to rehabilitate their image in my eyes...

I feel really bad for Laura. That's the kind of multi-layered incident you just up and fucking quit after. But I guess it's not like there are hundreds of alternative jobs in games journalism...

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. That is wrong on so many levels from Kotaku. And Jason Schreier's work was just starting to rehabilitate their image in my eyes...

I feel really bad for Laura. That's the kind of multi-layered incident you just up and fucking quit after. But I guess it's not like there are hundreds of alternative jobs in games journalism...
That is crazy. I was following the original topic but never saw that info. Do you have a link to the proof of that? The editor who forced it sucks.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ko...ur-update-doesnt-seem-to.112306/post-19981068

I'll try to find a screen cap of the tweet, but unfortunately she deleted it. I know there were screenshots of her talking about it in a Facebook chat or something too.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
As far as sales I get what you mean, but I think Demi-Fiend still has more notoriety as a protagonist simply because you see him all the time in the game. You see him punch things, you see him use magic, the whole nine yards. Flynn, while you see him in third person out of battle and using weapons, battles are in first person so you don't see him beyond that. By that logic, you could argue Kazuya (SMT1) or Aleph (SMT2) over Demi-Fiend or Flynn. Demi-Fiend generally has more of an identity than Flynn, despite the fact that his game sold less.

Nanashi is definitely not even as popular as Flynn though, but I could see them making him an alt or Echo fighter of Demi-Fiend though.

Also worth pointing out that Cloud obviously doesn't sell any FF games on Nintendo platforms, but obviously no other FF rep made sense to Sakurai.
You don't think the new SMT V protagonist would make more sense as a fighter? (With all other previous protagonists as alts)

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I would laugh if it turns out to be something else so obvious that it flew over our heads.
maxresdefault.jpg

SI_3DS_BravelyDefault_image1600w.jpg

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
You don't think the new SMT V protagonist would make more sense as a fighter? (With all other previous protagonists as alts)

Yeah, I feel like if anything they'd pull a Roy and make the SMTV protag a fighter to advertise the new game. Demi-fiend's a badass, but pretty much any SMT rep is gonna be a niche character.

Alternatively, just give us Jack Frost with his various incarnations as alts because I need my Raiho bro

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

wow. christ i didn't realise kotaku uk fucked her over like that. that's a bad look.

i mean, honestly, I've been listening to that song since release and I genuinely thought she said 'retarded' in it. I mean I wasn't publishing anywhere so I never bothered reaching out to Atlus or whatever but I would have heard it there too. And I speak Japanese.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I have a question about the video video. Is there a limitation of one text for video? Or is it possible to have more texts in different parts of the video?