• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
Via Persona Central:
Persona 3: Dancing Moon Night and Persona 5: Dancing Star Night were released in Japan last week on May 24th, and sales tracker Media Create reports that at least 64,554 copies were sold in total for both of the rhythm games.

The first rhythm game, Persona 4: Dancing All Night, debuted with 94k copies sold on the PS Vita in June 2015.

Below is a list of the number of copies sold for the different versions of the game, which consist of the PS4 and PS Vita versions of P3D and P5D, as well as the "Persona Dancin' All-Star Triple Pack" limited edition for the PS4, and the "Persona Dancin' Deluxe Twin Plus" limited edition for the PS Vita.

1. [PS4] Persona Dancing: All-Star Triple Pack {2018-05-24} — 27,240 / NEW
  2. [PSV] Persona Dancing: Deluxe Twin Plus {2018-05-24} — 21,579 / NEW
  3. [PS4] Persona 5: Dancing Star Night {2018-05-24} – 7,876 / NEW
  4. [PSV] Persona 5: Dancing Star Night {2018-05-24} – 4,554 / NEW
  5. [PSV] Persona 3: Dancing Moon Night {2018-05-24} – 3,305 / NEW
Also of note, P3D on PS4 sold less than 3k copies:
The PS4 version of Persona 3: Dancing Moon Night did not rank within the top 20 games sold in the past week, which means it sold fewer than 3,008 copies. Therefore, the total is higher than 64,554 copies, but not significantly so.

It's not surprising, as the games are two full priced titles which are both pretty minimal on content, and then are compounded by a significant amount of already-developed and very expensive DLC. This is the first time I've felt that Atlus are actually gouging their fanbase, and I'm glad it hasn't been successful.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to be such a terrible value considering the amount of DLC they expect you to buy for two games without even a story mode. P4D plot was atrocious but that doesn't mean there wasn't room for improvement. Guess they got the sale they deserved.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
That's bad, but I honestly don't know what Atlus was expecting with 2 versions.

Genuinely have no clue. Did no one go "guys...this franchise is not Pokemon, IN ADDITION THESE ARE BOTH RHYTHM GAMES, IT IS A NICHE [Rhythm game] OF A NICHE [SMT Series] OF A NICHE [JRPGs]"?

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ouch. Is this out in the USA yet ? I want both but the marketing doesn't exist.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Way too many SKUs at once, not to mention I can't imagine there was a lot of demand for this. P5 cast I can sort of see doing the dancing thing but the P3 cast? Ell oh ell

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
This is the first time I've felt that Atlus are actually gouging their fanbase

Just the first time? When Persona 4 was a hit they released an anime (which was okay), P4G (which was great) and then they doubled down with an anime of Golden, a good but low on content fighting game with a sequel badly managed, a pachinko... And don't get me started with the Dancing games, which no people wanted, and as rhythm games are bad and only serve as fanservice. That was the starting of the milking. Oh, an Persona Q, a total retcon made canon using a lame Etrian Odyssey skin.

Atlus has adopted the "living thanks to whales system" proper of gacha games where they ony need some thounsands of avid players that pay a lot. I'm happy that they made Persona 5 a more marketable game while maintaining the appeal since 3, but some of their actions are indefensible with those games nobody ask and have no redeeming value outside of brand fanservice.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, I thought they were bundled.

Jesus, no wonder it ate shit on release.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
I mean did anyone expect this to do good? You could see this from a mile away, just a waste of time and resources by Atlus.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pathetic.

Makes sense considering everything about these two games screams "low effort."

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These games look like cash grabs so I'm not exactly sad that they are not doing well.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you even buy p5d? So you could listen to beneath the mask for 90 hours like in the game?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Them not bundling them and already having shittons of DLC planned turned me off. I'd love to dance with best waifu, but not like this.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
6 SKU? Oh wow, did they thought the Fire Emblem If formula was going to work for them? lol

... I do want to say that is because P4DAN was trash and people woke up but I haven't tried these new ones yet

Oct 27, 2017
It's really a shame what they did with this game, given that from what I've seen, a lot more effort went into making this than the Persona 4 Dancing entry. Watching some gameplay, it looked a lot more charming and fun, but from the DLC, to two separate versions that still cost a decent amount, it can see how this happened.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
They say P3D didn't sell well, but I'm still waiting on the Vita version to come back into stock on Amazon JP, they only shipped out my Vita copy of P5D

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
you people missed one little detail:

[PS4] Persona Dancing: All-Star Triple Pack (¥16.880) - 27.240 ~ 155 USD
[PSV] Persona Dancing: Deluxe Twin Plus (¥15.780) - 21.579 ~ 145 USD

Geeklat

Feb 13, 2018
As a Rhythm game, the base mechanic feels bad. Watching the notes travel from the center to the left and right is hard to follow on a large TV. It may work ok on a Vita or a mobile device like in the Love Live rhythm game. But on a 50"+ screen it's just not really enjoyable.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's really a shame what they did with this game, given that from what I've seen, a lot more effort went into making this than the Persona 4 Dancing entry.
I really don't see how. P4D had a full fledged story mode. Regardless of its quality, it was involved with a flowchart, tons of dialogue and voice acting, and a coherent plot that was way longer than it needed to be for a rhythm game.

It had more songs in the base game. It had end-of-song Persona summoning sequences. It basically created the template that P3D and P5D copy whole cloth.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These titles were such blatant cash grabs. Split into two separate versions when it wasn't necessary, no story mode, tons of DLC. 65k is more than it deserves.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
There's probably no chance they would combine the games for the NA release would they?

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Meh, I still want them when they come over.

That said, I saw a few videos pop up on my YouTube feed, and are the songs even remixed? The P5 songs I heard sounded just like the originals and if that's the case, maybe I can wait a bit until it bombs here too...

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Stop milking those udders, and focus on making the rpgs that people actually want. Jesus Christ, y'all.

It was cute that you did a dancing game a few years ago, but now these spin offs just make me sad.