• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Excited for P3 remake since it remains my favorite entry, nervous for P6 since I really did not like P5 and while I like the series formula they really need to shake it up a little bit. After three 80+ hour long games, all 3 with major updates making them easy 100+ hour long games, they need to at least update the formula a bit to change up the pacing and feel of things.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If I never have to help another student council president regain her self-confidence, or listen to another privileged brat whine about how MOM AND DAD EXPECT SO MUCH OUT OF ME for the rest of my life, it'll still be too soon. They have squeezed every single drop of blood out of high school social links, there is nothing left there.

This is where I'm at. I'm not against Persona's identity being "High School" but the well after Persona 5 absolutely feels tapped dry.
Even Strikers went past that idea to get more material (Even if it doesn't tackle themes as strongly as mainline games).

Is this vetted by mods?

Yes, me

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
My biggest question is what should we expect first, P3R or P6? Sounds like they're both pretty far along, I doubt Atlus would be dumb enough to release TWO Persona games back to back and then have a gap of years for the next one

Plum

May 31, 2018
Why is University/College rarely thrown about as an option? It's still 'school life' but with young adults instead of teenagers. Could even implement more strategy into the time management by having to pick which classes you do instead of just having a single block of "SCHOOL TIME!" every single weekday.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just to add some perspective, Persona 5 was 6 years ago. That's enough time that fans may very well be far past high school and wondering what's next.

Persona 6 will be likely aimed at current 16-24 year olds, not the 16-24 year olds from 2006, who are now in their 30/40s

We can't expect to be the main target demographic forever

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
I'm another one who would like P6 to have an adult party.
I loved P5R and am excited to finally play P3P and P4G. However, to be honest, it's a little hard to get some kind of immersion in a teen story when you're already 26.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Why is University/College rarely thrown about as an option? It's still 'school life' but with young adults instead of teenagers. Could even implement more strategy into the time management by having to pick which classes you do instead of just having a single block of "SCHOOL TIME!" every single weekday.

I don't think it's rarely thrown about at all. One of the more popular suggestions for the series could go.

I would love for the persona 6 team to be a bunch of fired or laid-off ex employees running a business out of a garage and the badguy be a super megacorp. That setup is perfect for a diverse team with various skills and fits right in line with how the social elements of persona are structured right down from individual relationships to "vacation moments" like team building retreats instead of field trips....... Actually ™ don't steal.

Sounds great. Fund it.

It baffles me how there aren't way more "Persona-likes" from indie and AAA studios since the formula is really great and is only ever really done well in Persona games. P5's success has to have been influential in some way right?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Persona 6 will be likely aimed at current 16-24 year olds, not the 16-24 year olds from 2006, who are now in their 30/40s

We can't expect to be the main target demographic forever

I was getting more at someone who was 16-18 playing Persona 5 since the games are easily obtainable now. I feel it was a bit different when P5 came out since you were either jumping through hoops to play older titles.

Absolutely don't see Persona ever dealing with people in their 30/40's as the outright main theme lol. At most, it would be just kinda stepping into it as Strikers did with its side plot.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
The basic structure of Persona could be applied to almost anything. They just limit themselves to high school on purpose for some reason. Hopefully they branch out with 6.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
If Atlus does age up the setting/characters, it will be freshman year college at the most. I don't think Atlus wants to move too far away from Persona being associated with "rebellious youth."

Jul 24, 2018
Japanese culture seem to have an exclusive and unique view on high school, like it's that one point in your life where you get to be the most carefree before you are thrown into the real world with various responsibilities and bareæy any time off to see friends. Like I hear issues about people being overworked a lot which could be an interesting hook for a Persona. But would Japanese devs and players be interested in making that type of game? Atlus did make Catherine (which wasn't that great) but at leasy it had adults but I dunno. I think Persona is always gonna be about high school kids.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why even release P3P if you're just gonna remake 3?

Also, grown ass people for P6 pls.
While I'm more interested in a P3 remake than P3P, I do think it's important to have some version of the original game available for those who want to experience it.

I agree with having adults in P6. Let's travel the world too!

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was getting more at someone who was 16-18 playing Persona 5 since the games are easily obtainable now. I feel it was a bit different when P5 came out since you were either jumping through hoops to play older titles.

Absolutely don't see Persona ever dealing with people in their 30/40's as the outright main theme lol. At most, it would be just kinda stepping into it as Strikers did with its side plot.

Yeah, and I also would like to see young adults or university students, but I fully expect it will be high school again

I think the kind of people who play JRPGs has probably skewered up since then as well, though I'm just guessing. It's just that I don't see many younger people playing turn based JRPGs, so there is a case they could try at least university students to capture a young audience as well as series fans who want to see older characters

That said, there are a lot of fans of the older games who also still like the high school setting, so I think they'll go with that again anyway

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Is everyone calling for a University setting have an image of an American University or a Japanese University?

Aug 15, 2022
What I learned from this thread is that more people need to play Saints Row reboot. Young adults complaining about student loan debt, what's not to love?

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I'd love to see a university setting but they're not moving away from the high school setting, that's their bread and butter. As long as it's not some road setting, I'm good with the same old, but built on top of it. They just need new scenarios and not the same cookie cutter stereotypes and story threads. Persona 5 excelled at its best when doing something off the beaten path, especially in P5R.

I have no idea when it'll come out though. December 2024 in Japan at the very earliest is the best I can guess, and even that's 8 years since Persona 5's release. I just hope they actually push themselves, since 5 was naturally a PS3 game. I don't care so much about the graphics, but they have to do more with the core game design.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
Excited for P3 remake since it remains my favorite entry, nervous for P6 since I really did not like P5 and while I like the series formula they really need to shake it up a little bit. After three 80+ hour long games, all 3 with major updates making them easy 100+ hour long games, they need to at least update the formula a bit to change up the pacing and feel of things.

Wow it's like you read my mind, P3 is also my favorite, especially the mood of the game (still unmatched by the other entries) and I'm really exited for the remake, can't say the same for P6. I know a lot of people like the formula, but I can't imagine doing the same thing yet again for countless of hours, especially if they are the same "everybody loves you because you're the most perfect person in the world" trope, and please no more gross otaku fantasies like the teacher social link. They can keep the school setting, because we all know they are never going to change that, just do something different.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah, and I also would like to see young adults or university students, but I fully expect it will be high school again

I think the kind of people who play JRPGs has probably skewered up since then as well, though I'm just guessing. It's just that I don't see many younger people playing turn based JRPGs, so there is a case they could try at least university students to capture a young audience as well as series fans who want to see older characters

That said, there are a lot of fans of the older games who also still like the high school setting, so I think they'll go with that again anyway

Will definitely be interesting to see where it goes. Since I imagine Persona 6 is probably the first Persona ever being made with a world-wide audience in-mind. So whatever that entails we'll just have to see.

If we want to zoom things back a bit. Persona 3 getting a remake could very well be due to 6 doing something different setting-wise, so 3 is more of a "Look, we haven't forgotten about you if this isn't what you vibe with'.

Regardless, I'm curious to see what happens

Antoo

May 1, 2019
If I never have to help another student council president regain her self-confidence, or listen to another privileged brat whine about how MOM AND DAD EXPECT SO MUCH OUT OF ME for the rest of my life, it'll still be too soon. They have squeezed every single drop of blood out of high school social links, there is nothing left there.
i think the series is uniquely positioned in the games market as titles that have a YA feel. in other mediums like tv, you had entire channels like the cw make multiple shows out of a basic formula dealing with high schoolers. you go on streaming services like netflix or hbo and you see stuff like euphoria or heartstopper. disney+ is gearing up a percy jackson series, which is just summer camp with greek gods. the formula is successful.

there's not a lot of games that tell coming of age stories, especially in the high profile space. this genre of storytelling can be predictable sure, but at the same time there will always be a new generation as well as a bunch of adults wanting to recapture their youth. i think persona stands alone in offering this type of experience right now.

to me, what should be more important now is making sure future stories move with the times. this genre in other mediums has been one of the most positive when it comes to having lgbt representation and being more inclusive.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
A high school setting is inevitable for P6. I'm also expecting a green or purple color theme. I'm more interested in where the setting of the game. P4 and P5 have very different settings after all.

Edit: I'd love a college/university setting though.

A P3 remake is cool and it'll be nice way for me to play it for the first time.

bogglywoods

Jul 22, 2022
FemC route is the only reason I like P3 remotely close to as much as I like the 2 duology so that's a huge bummer if the remake doesn't have it, but at least that means I don't have to spend a month of my life playing P3 again. Not a big fan of P4 or P5 at all so hopefully Hashino being off doing other things means P6 will at least not feel like more of what those games were.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
I have zero interest in an adult Persona setting, like jeez there are houndreds of games out there were you play adults. One big franchise focused on HS is not the end of the world lol.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Why even release P3P if you're just gonna remake 3?
My guess is that Microsoft paid them a fixed sum to port P3-P5 to Xbox and PC, they did it as cheaply as possible to maximize their profit. P3P doesn't look that great (they pretty clearly did some basic upscaling on PSP-resolution backgrounds), but it likely was cheaper than doing a full texture pass on P3FES.

Also, a college/university setting would be an improvement for the series. It lets them keep the educational setting, but having the characters be of age side-steps many (but not all) of the series' issue with sexualizing characters (but doesn't resolve the teachers-dating-students issue).

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
I was talking about games in general not just JRPGs. In any case no other franchise provides the "Persona experience" anywhere close to the OG so i would like for them to continue like they have. Also Persona 2 was the worst selling Persona by a mile you can all guess why that is lol.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I'll say this: Atlus seems to be the kind of company that has very specific ideas as to what each of their series are supposed to be about and will often express divergent ideas through either spin offs or asides. Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey was supposed to be SMT IV but ultimately they decided that SMT is supposed to be about....

- A teenage boy
- Takes place in Tokyo

and so it got the spin off treatment. I think they probably feel similarly about Persona which is probably why Eternal Punishment is a Part 2 of Persona 2 and not just Persona 3.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I would totally be down with a Persona where you play as adults. I don't think it will happen, but I would love it.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
People act like 20-30 are fucking dinosaurs with nothing going on. High Schoolers aren't the only people still figuring their shit out. People in their 20s are still finding out and defining who they are as a human being, dealing with major social, personal, and other pressures. It's not like you graduate HS and suddenly life is boring as shit and there's nothing to work with.

The crazy thing is that Persona doesn't actually deal with HS at all. It's a framework for the game, the most there is to HS is the club activities and occasional tests, but the fantastical elements of the plots so overwhelmingly supersede the mundanity of HS itself that the actual HS sections of the game are just literal window dressing you watch go by until you can get to the good parts where you go to fight monsters with your friends after school.