• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Posting on behalf of Silfer

Disclaimer: I'm porting this thread over from another forum. Not the one that most of this community frequented but rather the one where you go to while you wait forever to be accepted but you'd rather not be there because it's not all that inclusive and there are a lot of rude and disrespectful people and...yeah, you can guess which I'm talking about. (God I'm glad about how quick I approved here)

Persona 5 came out a year ago in Japan and we are now starting to see spin-offs with P5 Dancing Star Night and PQ2 (along with P3 Dancing Moon Night which is benefiting from the increased awareness in the Persona brand). This was expected considering that P4 saw similar spin-offs using its characters and P5 is the best-selling entry in the franchise, which now has a larger foothold in the west than ever before to accompany is huge popularity in Japan. Another P4 spin-off is P4 Arena and and it's a fairly safe bet that this will happen for P5.

In addition to the good sales of P5, the Director of P4 Arena has expressed a desire to make a fighting game for P5 and Atlus has registered domain names for P5 spin-offs, including one which is probably for P5 Arena. All this points to P5A happening sometime in the foreseeable future so I wanted to talk about and its various potential aspects.

First of all, to me the most interesting subject of discussion is the Visual Direction it might take. P4 Arena has an "HD Sprite" visual style, similar to Arc System Works' BlazBlue series from the PS360-gen and looks very good, as expected from the people behind BlazBlue.

It would be a safe assumption that P5A would take on a similar style, if not for what ASW has done recently. Starting with Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN (PS4,PS3 - 2014), ASW has pioneered a new style of 2D fighting game with 3D, cel-shaded character models made to give the illusion of 2D sprites when in gameplay while allowing for dynamic sequences in certain attacks and in character intros/outros.

Here's an example of how it looks in combat in Guilty Gear Xrd Sign:

AWS has since refined this style in further iterations of GGXrd (Revelator in 2016 and Revelator 2 in 2017) as well as in their upcoming 2018 game, Dragon Ball FighterZ.

Here are more recent examples of this visual style:
GGXrd Rev Character Intro, Outro and Super:

DBFZ Character Intro, Outro and Supers:
RJ8ZbAN.gif

UmL3Kq5.gif

(I like Gohan)

You can probably see why I think that the visual direction of the game is the most interesting subject right now. The recent style of visuals is breathtaking and I think it's likely that a P5A would have a similar style.
HD Sprites, like are seen in BB and P4A, take a lot of time and are seemingly on the way out when it comes to big fighting games (even SNK has moved on to 3D, to less impressive results). I'm sure a P5A would look good in that style but at this point I prefer what ASW has going on right now. It looks great during gameplay and allows for some spectacular stuff when control is briefly taken away from the player. I've been playing GGXrd Rev2 on PC at 4K lately and it's breathtaking. (not related to the thread but GGXrd is surprisingly not all that demanding as I can run it at 1800p60 with just a GTX 960. If you have an even better GPU, I recommend checking out the PC version as it is simply stunning)

In a GDC 2015 Panel, Technical Artist Junya C Motomura talked about how, at first characters in GGXrd would take 4 months to complete from a visual standpoint (which seemed like a lot to me) but they've gotten better and faster as they've done more. And with the move to UE4 since DBFZ, they're probably even faster now so it's safe to expect this style out of ASW going forward.

In addition, I think that ASW could do some seriously impressive stuff with this visual style and the Persona 5 aesthetic. The P4A style, while great, isn't perfect in my opinion and in combat it doesn't capture the characters as well as it could, especially when it comes to the eyes. Whereas ASW has shown that they can adapt other artists' styles to their engine well with how well they've translated Akira Toriyama's art to UE4. It would also fit Persona 5 since it's the first "HD" game in the mainline series. The style of the 3D models of Persona 5 could be adapted well to ASW's engine by their artists in a way that would capture the original characters really well.
(Also, imagine getting finishers that end with a transition to 2D art similarly to how the various All-Out attacks work in this game)

Another aspect that's interesting to talk about is obviously the Roster. This is interesting because I believe it's size will most likely be tied to the visual style they pick.
If they pick the HD Sprite style of P4A then we'll probably see all of those characters just ported over, just like with the BlazBlue games, regardless of story relevance with the addition of the P5 cast.

If they go for their recent cel-shaded style, then they'll most likely be a little more picky. GGXrd Sign, their first cel-shaded fighting game, had a total of 15 characters when it came out on consoles, with 2 who came later as DLC. As of the latest release, Rev 2, there are 25 characters in total. So it's safe to expect around 15 characters at launch but we could potentially get more. As I said before, they've gotten better at making characters and one character does not take them as much time as it did before. As of now, there are 17 characters that are revealed for Dragon Ball FighterZ with "many more coming" (according to the producer on the TGS stream).
So 15 characters is a safe expectation but we could get more. With that said, let's talk about the characters themselves.

The picks also rely on the story the game'll tell, if any. The P4 spin-offs were all trying to fit inside the canon of the main series (with the exception of PQ where they forget everything at the end) but that may not be the case with the P5 spin-offs if P5D and P3D are any indication since they won't have a story mode. If not having a canon story is a possibility, then I believe it's safe to expect the following:

-Joker
-Skull (Ryuji Sakamoto)
-Panther (Ann Takamaki)
-Mona (Morgana)
-Fox (Yusuke Kitagawa)
-Queen (Makoto Nijima)
-Noir (Haru Okumura)
-Crow (Akechi Goro)

These are the absolute, most obvious picks.
The only one who may not get in is Crow but if the game is set to be non-canon then there's no reason not to have him. If it is canon...well they'll figure something out. Crow is interesting also because he has two Personas. They could have two different slots, one for each outfit/Persona. Or if it has a story and they bring him back to life somehow, he could have the two Personas in his moveset which would be cool as well).

Beyond those, I think we'll probably get more original characters. Labrys and Sho could return and they could make new ones for this.
We could also see the P3 Protag if the game isn't supposed to be canon.
They could develop the concept of Hifumi being a Phantom Thief and put her in the game, using the material that the main team couldn't implement in P5. Caroline and Justine (or Lavenza) could make an appearance. It would also be cool to see the cast from P4 and P3 grown up. Naoto is a detective and Chie is in the police academy so they could probably work their way into this game.

Roster is one thing I'm not too sure on. Very curious as to what you guys are expecting.

Here's the GDC Panel I mentioned:
It's fasnicating, especially if aesthetics is something you care a lot about. The panel itself is 35 minutes with a Q&A afterwards.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the best way to get mod intervention on something is to click the Report icon below it and clarify in the report what you would like to have done.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Less reliance on shadow forms. One of the reasons why I couldn't just dive into ultimax the same way I dove into arena was the variations of each character. It was too much, even though it's basically little different from Guilty Gear Shadow Mode.

There's enough to learn in that game without needing two completely different versions of the same character for every character.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 Arena is basically my most wanted dream game. Played P4A and P4AU for over 1000 hours.

I agree wrt the visual style. I also think 2D is on the way out (with BBTAG being a sort of last hurrah for ASW's sprite based stuff).
I'd rather have the game be canon than not. It's one thing that the silly dancing games aren't but in the fighting games they're doing pretty much the same thing as in the RPG's (fighting with their Personas) just with a different battle system. Canon would also be nice because quite a bit of time has passed since P4 (in game I mean) so it'd be really cool to see where these older characters are now.
Roster I pretty much agree with your P5 choices, the phantom thieves plus VR attendant. They could make Futaba playable if they wanted to since they did that with Rise. Who knows though.
As for returning characters from the older games that's where it gets a little more muddy. Narukami is obvious. Yosuke probably as well given that he is very popular in Japan. Chie and Naoto'd be cool to play up the "law vs. thieves" angle as you mentioned. Greedy personal wish would be to have Adachi back but that would make things a little complicated story wise.
As for the P3 side Mitsuru is another obvious one. Aigis probably as well. And Akihiko for the same reasons as Chie/Naoto. Personal wish here would be Ken since he'd be about the same age as the Phantom Thieves making for an interesting dynamic.
But yeah guessing returning characters is overall a little harder since it depends on a lot of things, the visual style, their scope for the game, whether it's canon or not and so on.

In terms of mechanics I was pretty happy with P4AU, so I don't think that needs to change all that much. Speculating about P5A and watching other FG's I've thought of one new mechanic though and that'd be taking a page out of PQ's book and add sub-Personas. They'd be a selection of the SMT demons and when you pick your character you can pick one Sub-Persona to go with it. The sub Personas would provide an additional move(heck, or maybe even a passive trait such as an immunity to a certain status ailment or whatever) introducing a layer of customization to the game like for instance with the stones in MvCI. I think that'd be a neat idea.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
If it werent for DB, I'd be certain for a P5 fighting game.

Currently Arcsys have too many fighting games to produce or support as opposed to previous gen.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 Arena is basically my most wanted dream game. Played P4A and P4AU for over 1000 hours.

I agree wrt the visual style. I also think 2D is on the way out (with BBTAG being a sort of last hurrah for ASW's sprite based stuff).
I'd rather have the game be canon than not. It's one thing that the silly dancing games aren't but in the fighting games they're doing pretty much the same thing as in the RPG's (fighting with their Personas) just with a different battle system. Canon would also be nice because quite a bit of time has passed since P4 (in game I mean) so it'd be really cool to see where these older characters are now.
Roster I pretty much agree with your P5 choices, the phantom thieves plus VR attendant. They could make Futaba playable if they wanted to since they did that with Rise. Who knows though.
As for returning characters from the older games that's where it gets a little more muddy. Narukami is obvious. Yosuke probably as well given that he is very popular in Japan. Chie and Naoto'd be cool to play up the "law vs. thieves" angle as you mentioned. Greedy personal wish would be to have Adachi back but that would make things a little complicated story wise.
As for the P3 side Mitsuru is another obvious one. Aigis probably as well. And Akihiko for the same reasons as Chie/Naoto. Personal wish here would be Ken since he'd be about the same age as the Phantom Thieves making for an interesting dynamic.
But yeah guessing returning characters is overall a little harder since it depends on a lot of things, the visual style, their scope for the game, whether it's canon or not and so on.

In terms of mechanics I was pretty happy with P4AU, so I don't think that needs to change all that much. Speculating about P5A and watching other FG's I've thought of one new mechanic though and that'd be taking a page out of PQ's book and add sub-Personas. They'd be a selection of the SMT demons and when you pick your character you can pick one Sub-Persona to go with it. The sub Personas would provide an additional move(heck, or maybe even a passive trait such as an immunity to a certain status ailment or whatever) introducing a layer of customization to the game like for instance with the stones in MvCI. I think that'd be a neat idea.

Canon or not would really be what influences the roster. If it is canon, I hope they eventually add characters that don't fit in. Even if they're limited to Versus mode, I want to be able to somehow use the people who are dead or otherwise irrelevant to their story.
Ken would definitely be fun to grown up again. Narukami would probably get in but I'm curious as to what he'd be as a grown up since he's a self-insert for the player. They'd most likelly just say he's in University or something.

Mechanically I also don't want to many changes from P4AU (except for no Shadows like Mesoian said).Picking Sub-Personas could be really cool. I immediately thought of stones from MvCI when you mentioned it and that system seems to have been well received.
I also thought they could make it a team-based game to play into the "Baton Pass" mechanic from P5 but with two ASW already having two team-based fighters coming, that's not likely.

If it werent for DB, I'd be certain for a P5 fighting game.

Currently Arcsys have too many fighting games to produce or support as opposed to previous gen.

I don't know. BlazBlue is probably over for the foreseeable future, with Ragna's story having come to an end in Central Fiction (haven't played it yet but that's what I heard) and ASW putting out BBTAG as a swan song to their HD Sprites.
Guilty Gear also seems to be done for this generation. We've had 3 versions and it's not like GGXrd as set the world on fire (as much as it pains me considering Rev2 is the best fighting game this gen) so I don't think that team will be working on a new GG until PS5.
Whereas Persona 6 probably won't come for a while (2019 at the earliest IMO, if they use the P5 engine) and Atlus will want to release P5 spin-offs until then.
This honestly makes me feel like for the rest of the generation, ASW will be on FighterZ and one other fighting game, which I believe will be P5A (unless they give my a FighterZ-style One Piece or MHA game which I wouldn't mind either).

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I could totally see Yusuke being a discount Vergil.

Some of his skills look just like DMC attacks (Sword Dance, Vorpal Blade)

Yunsar

Oct 27, 2017
Here's an idea (major P5 spoilers):

Akechi is in, but in the end he's revealed to be a cognitive existence created from the Phantom Thieves' memories.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they keep the HD sprites so we can get the previous characters back from P4U. If we get GGXrd artstyle, then they'll have to remake the previous characters from scratch.

And please, if we get a story mode, don't focus on making it canon. It just holds the series back at this point, though seeing the P4 characters older would be neat.

Aranea

Oct 25, 2017
The Queen will always make me buy anything related to her

...except P5 Ultimate Edition,that's highway robbery

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Assuming it can't JUST be P5 characters, I hope P3 characters (and Labrys) don't get abandoned for P4/P5 only. I want Junpei to get another shot at not being F-tier. And despite the story in the 2 Arena games being pretty bad, I really like Labrys as a character (though I didn't really enjoy fighting with her).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's an idea (major P5 spoilers):

Akechi is in, but in the end he's revealed to be a cognitive existence created from the Phantom Thieves' memories.

I had a similar idea.
Have Robin Hood parade Akecki be a cognitive being but also bring back real Akechi(you know it's going to happen)with Loki and the black armor.

Also put Haru in there in full sadist mode.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think P5A would definitely be a 3D fighter. So there'd be a significant amount of cuts sadly. Considering that, I have no clue at all how they'd pick and choose who would return and who wouldn't.

PinkHazero

Oct 30, 2017
What I want is really simple

Rivers in the desert remix (doesn't matter if makes it in P5A or P5DSN just give it to me already)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the roster would be 12/13 like a lot of Arcs launch rosters, so this is my guess for one.

Joker
Morgana
Ryuji
Ann
Yusuke
Makoto
Haru
Goro(Crow)
Goro(Black Mask)
Yu
Aigis
OC Villain
Futaba/another P3 or P4 character.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wish they keep the HD sprites so we can get the previous characters back from P4U. If we get GGXrd artstyle, then they'll have to remake the previous characters from scratch.

And please, if we get a story mode, don't focus on making it canon. It just holds the series back at this point, though seeing the P4 characters older would be neat.

Honestly, I'd be fine with HD Sprites the whole cast from P4AU is carried over cause it still looks beautiful. It's just that I think of P5's STYLE and ASW's cel-shading and I have a hard time breathing.

I imagine the roster would be 12/13 like a lot of Arcs launch rosters, so this is my guess for one.

Joker
Morgana
Ryuji
Ann
Yusuke
Makoto
Haru
Goro(Crow)
Goro(Black Mask)
Yu
Aigis
OC Villain
Futaba/another P3 or P4 character.

I like your cast. Though thinking about it, I wonder how a small character like Morgana would even work. I doubt they'd make him bigger to fit the mechanics (though they could just write it off as "cognition"). Maybe they make his Persona stay out all the time and you attack Zorro?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'd be fine with HD Sprites the whole cast from P4AU is carried over cause it still looks beautiful. It's just that I think of P5's STYLE and ASW's cel-shading and I have a hard time breathing.

I like your cast. Though thinking about it, I wonder how a small character like Morgana would even work. I doubt they'd make him bigger to fit the mechanics (though they could just write it off as "cognition"). Maybe they make his Persona stay out all the time and you attack Zorro?

That could be a good workaround. I could also see them just making him slightly bigger. I'm thinking around Viewtiful Joe's size in marvel 3 if not a little smaller.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll scream like crazy when this is announced proper. I mean it's such a no brainer to make. I am hoping that Atlus and Arc are already on this. It'd print money!

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll scream like crazy when this is announced proper. I mean it's such a no brainer to make. I am hoping that Atlus and Arc are already on this. It'd print money!

It really would. Persona 5 has made the franchise as a whole a lot more well-known and Dragon Ball FighterZ is having the same effect on ASW (the FighterZ announcement alone increased sales of GGXrd). I don't see them passing this opportunity up considering their other fighting games this gen having really sold exceptionally well.