• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing as mainline SMT is nothing like Persona and doesn't have the same appeal to a mainstream audience, very unlikely.
Except the artstyle, enemies and combat mechanics they share. Even themes are not that dissimilar. I wouldn't say it's nothing like it, they can focus on similarities in the marketing and get more people interested than ever before if they do it right. I understand that the main draw of Persona are the daily structure and social systems, but if they can't transfer some new Persona fans to SMT when they share the same universe they're bad at selling their product.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Very well deserved for Atlus. Wonder if P5R will move more than the original or maybe some are already burned out from it?
Guess SMT V is being pushed back even further now since the Persona brand is much stronger and more profitable.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
I didn't like Persona 5 for a lot of reasons but I still love Persona 3 and Persona 4 is among my Top 10 GOAT, so I'm happy

Anxious to see if I'll be interested in a possible Persona 6 in the future

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Shame to see such a regressive game in terms of portrayal of women and queer individuals succeed on this level. Atlus just cannot help themselves, and seems neither can the fans.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Except the artstyle, enemies and combat mechanics they share. Even themes are not that dissimilar. I wouldn't say it's nothing like it, they can focus on similarities in the marketing and get more people interested than ever before if they do it right. I understand that the main draw of Persona are the daily structure and social systems, but if they can't transfer some new Persona fans to SMT when they share the same universe they're bad at selling their product.
The narratives and characters are also quite different from Persona, with mainline SMT typically being more minimalist in that regard while playing up the Law vs. Chaos vs. Neutral focus and cast members generally being flat representations of those alignments. Being focused on post-apocalyptic settings over contemporary ones also affects the prevailing tone. At most, P5 is the closest that the series has been to SMT in years through things like dividing physical attacks into melee and gun attacks for everyone, bringing back negotiations, being set in Tokyo, and the boss gauntlet in the final dungeon. Those passing similarities aren't enough to get that same crowd to care about SMT too, though. Also, they only share the same universe with one SMT side game specifically, not mainline SMT.

Kaneko's demons are obviously something they have in common, but I don't see anyone mistaking Doi's work for Soejima's (let alone Kaneko's human designs). Press Turn led to 1-More, yet the differences between them led the flow of battle to differ a great deal.

The closest they got to attempting to reach Persona's demographic was SMT IV:A, which increased the emphasis on story and characterization while focusing significantly more on "the power of friendship" than what's typical for SMT. Even then, they still played significantly differently, and the end result was divisive among fans of both SMT and Persona alike. I'd say that you believe that making SMT appeal to Persona fans while still keeping it recognizably SMT is easier than it actually is, and is more than just a marketing issue.

Last edited:

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I find the success of Persona to be so intriguing especially when you consider the transformative process Atlus was going through from the development of Persona 5 all the way to its release.

As a refresher, Atlus was once a division of a company called Index Corporation but they got caught being involved with fraud so they had to declare bankruptcy. Sega then acquired the assets of Index Corporation and reincorporated the company as Sega Dream Corporation which was eventually re-branded as Atlus.

When people first heard that Sega was going to own Atlus, everybody rightly freaked out at the time because Sega's quality control was at an all time low, but instead of screwing with Atlus, Sega was inspired by Atlus to improve their own brand and this success story demonstrates that. Good on Atlus and Sega.

Sep 7, 2018
Played this for the first time this year and man I love this game. It's made it into my top ten of all time. It's great to see that nerds all over are appreciating this game. I'll be doing my first cosplay next year and I chose to do a Persona 5 character.

May 30, 2018
Honestly word of mouth did this game wonders

They went from barely 1m Sellers (including rereleases) on an install base of 150M to doing greater than 4m guaranteed on a smaller base.

I got into this series by grabbing it for cheap as a PS2 classic on PS3 after recommendations from GAF, I'm sure many did as well