• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Tetrinski

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I, uh.

That's not the final palace.

If we have our palace numbering synced up, that palace has a central elevator with easy access to a safe room. You shouldn't have gone more than 15 minutes without having access to it.
It wasn´t that one. It´s the one after the one that seems to be the last one. I think it is the final one but I don´t remember how many there were (like I said, it´s taken me two years to get here).
Mementos

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I replayed Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE the other day and it's exactly like that as well, one savage encounter and RIP 45+ minutes of progress, it happened twice during my playthrough.
It can even happen on regular battles if you're unlucky.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn´t that one. It´s the one after the one that seems to be the last one. I think it is the final one but I don´t remember how many there were (like I said, it´s taken me two years to get here).
Mementos
Ah, OK.

That one does have some of the longest runs in between safe rooms in the game, but I don't think anything should take longer than an hour to reach. Shorter, if you already know the solutions to the puzzles.
???

You can absolutely just put your PS4 to sleep in the middle of a dungeon and come back to it later.
That would just make me paranoid about having a power outage or someone tripping over the power cord before I can get back to it. I absolutely make sure I save before I turn in for the night (THEN use sleep mode, because it's convenient).

senj

Nov 6, 2017
That would just make me paranoid about having a power outage or someone tripping over the power cord before I can get back to it. I absolutely make sure I save before I turn in for the night (THEN use sleep mode, because it's convenient).

I mean, yeah, I too also backtrack to the nearest safe room to save before entering rest mode out of sheer paranoia. But if you're desperate to end a play session and for whatever reason don't want to backtrack despite apparently having not saved in two hours, straight rest mode is preferable to trying to blitz to the next safe room.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Happened to me a few times, though I was playing on Hard.

I just flat out refuse to start with a Persona that has a weakness if I can help it. Personas that are weak to Physical, Shot, Light, or Dark are pretty much useless for me in dungeons. I will switch in battle when I know it's safe.

OP
OP
Tetrinski

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I dont get how this happens, it should be two at most unless hes hitting all your party members weakness with AOEs one at a time. Plus why would your default a persona with weakness to physical, literally the thing every enemy has access to

There are so many tools at your disposal, party members literally can take fatal damage for you three times. If you lose, its usually your fault
It was electrical and had Riuji as well. Even if it was my mistake, the punishment is ridiculous. Players make mistakes in games all the time, yet no other game forces you to repeat two hours of nothing. No, Souls doesn´t do it either.

For those saying there are shortcuts and frequent safe rooms: NO. There are no shortcuts in this section of the game and there are 5 large sections in a row with 5-10 combats in each one of them and four puzzles to solve. I´ve looked it up a few times, I didn´t miss anything. You can do the math, that´s two hours of content. Sure, I´ll skip the little conversations with the
prisoners
. That´s it, that´s all I can skip when I replay this or all I would have saved by going back and saving again after solving the puzzles since enemies respawn. The puzzles, by the way, are also very annoying, because the solution is always obvious but in order to reach it, you need to trigger conversations where the characters point out every little detail; that I´ll have to do again.

And, again, even if I made a mistake that led to my death... yeah, thanks for pointing out what leads to every single game over screen ever. This isn´t even about whether the punishment is fair or not, because A) it isn´t and B) that becomes irrelevant when you consider the bigger issue of the game disrespecting the players time.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
After I first got a game over in the first dungeon I just set the game to easy and rushed through every dungeon afterwards.

I'm still just waiting for some indie studio to make a persona game without the dungeon crawling. If I wanted dungeon crawling I'd play any of the other SMT games, it really doesn't add anything to Persona imo.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Similar thing happened to me too, though it was more my fault. I made it to a safe room, but didn't go in. There was one shadow a little further on I just figured I'd finish that one off then go save, and take a break. Got caught in a crit. chain and died. Only maybe the 2nd or 3rd death I had all game. Haven't played it since lol.

Edit: Happened around the same place you're at too.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
After I first got a game over in the first dungeon I just set the game to easy and rushed through every dungeon afterwards.

I'm still just waiting for some indie studio to make a persona game without the dungeon crawling. If I wanted dungeon crawling I'd play any of the other SMT games, it really doesn't add anything to Persona imo.
So, a visual novel? Which probably wouldn't be half bad.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
So, a visual novel? Which probably wouldn't be half bad.
I'd still want to keep the day-to-day-life-simulation stuff, but just with some more depth, like with money being an actually relevant resource and having multiple paths to take in social links. There's just so much potential there that I would love to see realized, although you'd probably need some great writers and artists to make it all work.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was electrical and had Riuji as well.
I dont understand what this means.

Again there are so many factors that mitigate this and I really dont think it should take you 2 hours to get between safe rooms. Joker is such a versatile character that there really should be no reason that you get chained and the party has so many abilities to help you with fatal hits and ambushes. Nor should there be a 5 hit chain. I really cannot fathom how this happened to you

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Something similar happened to me in Makoto's palace - I think it must have been thirty minutes of gameplay since there had been the last safe room to save at, and Joker got KO'd. I had been so close!

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, you're in that dungeon? Yeah, that's the one dungeon in the game I remember having too long of time between safe rooms. I feel for you.

I think when I was in that dungeon, I would actually run backwards to safe rooms after doing some of the major parts. Then run forwards using the items that allow you to avoid encounters.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I lost a bunch of time in P5, too. First time encountering a new enemy, he starts by casting Mudo while I'm weak to dark. Killed, game over, no warning or counterplay. Indefensible design. Especially since the game is generally easy, so you're playing for efficient wins more than you are for self-preservation.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Died and quit the same way. Fuck that, you should be given a freebie for the very first time. Just to avoid people quitting so early in the game.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This happened to me when I was playing SMT4. Put the game down, never touched it again, and have no regrets.

Its just plain bad design. Its not challenging or cute, just bad. Its really easy to kill players in a game. No developer ever has had trouble making a villain that can beat the main character. Its really hard to make something challenging but still beatable. MegaTen are absolute crap at figuring this out.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we've had this conversation before, but the long and short of it is that the MC in Persona is overpowered as hell and essentially carries their comrades with their various Personas. If you could just revive them after he/she falls it would trivialize the difficulty/exploration of the game on just about any difficulty, that you don't know what a Shadow can do makes you exercise caution.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Nier Automata did the same thing to me, and while I wouldn't normally drop a game for something like this, those stupid fucking hacking sections are horrible and I haven't felt like dealing with them since.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No dungeon in the entire game has a significant gap between safe rooms. Palaces in Persona 5 have numerous shortcuts and safe rooms everywhere.

As someone who just beat Persona 5 a few weeks ago, that's not true. Most dungeons are good about frequent save rooms, but I remember there's one segment near the end of the game where I actually looked up to see how much longer to go until a save point because I was getting nervous at how long it had been since I had saved.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd still want to keep the day-to-day-life-simulation stuff, but just with some more depth, like with money being an actually relevant resource and having multiple paths to take in social links. There's just so much potential there that I would love to see realized, although you'd probably need some great writers and artists to make it all work.
Yup lol. After playing P5 I realized I wanted all the social stuff and life etc turned up to 100 and no persona stuff. Make me a Japanese school life sim dammit

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I had something similar happen to me the other day. I was playing Pokémon Sun and when choosing which move to replace for a Pokémon I accidentally told the game to "not learn the move". It somehow happened to me yet again later with a seemingly cool exclusive move, so I went to check out where to find the move relearner and turns out you can't use him until the very end of the game... I resetted in frustation and lost most of that play session's progress.
I swear that in earlier games they always asked if you were sure and also put the relearner ealier on, so this is the first time ever they made it wrong. I read that it's because now he can teach you moves you didn't learn yet, but honestly, you should just unlock that option in the postgame or have two different guys.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I think any solution to the overpowered protagonist issue is better than the way Persona 5 handles it. I ran into the same issue the OP describes about a dozen times and every time it too felt like a waste of time. The only thing I learned was to protect myself against that particular attack that killed me which you should not have to die to learn. The least they can do for P5R and P6 is give the player more safe rooms.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who just beat Persona 5 a few weeks ago, that's not true. Most dungeons are good about frequent save rooms, but I remember there's one segment near the end of the game where I actually looked up to see how much longer to go until a save point because I was getting nervous at how long it had been since I had saved.
Is this the Mementos one that the OP was discussing? I honestly don't even recall what the structure of that one is, so my bad if that's the case for one of them. At least, that'd be the one exception in the game if it is.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

Yes.
It's shit game design and "the series has always had shit game design" isn't a sufficient defense of it. They should find a way to fix this for future entries.
Yes.

Yup lol. After playing P5 I realized I wanted all the social stuff and life etc turned up to 100 and no persona stuff. Make me a Japanese school life sim dammit
Yes.

Yes.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is this the Mementos one that the OP was discussing? I honestly don't even recall what the structure of that one is, so my bad if that's the case for one of them. At least, that'd be the one exception in the game if it is.

Yeah, that's the one I'm thinking of. It's just one big linear path with little puzzle rooms periodically and it's rather long to not have a save spot.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
Needing to get to a save point to save your progress is kind of lame in this day and age. Why not just allow save anywhere? Especially in a game like an RPG that do have plenty of grind for levels and loot.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This happened to me when I was playing SMT4. Put the game down, never touched it again, and have no regrets.

Its just plain bad design. Its not challenging or cute, just bad. Its really easy to kill players in a game. No developer ever has had trouble making a villain that can beat the main character. Its really hard to make something challenging but still beatable. MegaTen are absolute crap at figuring this out.

Eh... SMT4 has saving anywhere and I'm pretty sure you don't lost the battle if the MC dies.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's kind of funny that Persona 5 was closer to the older MegaTen games whilst SMT4 added a lot more accessibility features like insta-revive for cash/3DS coins, although that personally irked me. Atlus seem to really struggle with finding a middle ground on it with their design. Heck, even Strange Journey had more save points than P5.