• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

The actions of the Phantom Thieves are echoing around the world.
Change the world in Persona 5 Royal and join the Phantom Thieves next week, March 31st.​

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
One of the all-time greats! Glad to see reviews are crazy high. The presentation, style, and flow of combat will always be triumph in the genre. Have no idea how they will top this with Persona 6.

persona-5-menu-gif-5.gif

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking forward to this. No clue what Persona is outside of a JRPG, but I have a ton of time on my hands all the sudden so I figured why not dive in now?

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
They'll have to take Persona 6 in a almost entirely different direction at this point. The design sensibilities that began with P3 feel like they've culminated here, and it seems like such a daunting task to try and build upon that.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I have no time for this game in my life right now, but IF I did buy it, is there a consensus on preferred place to buy the launch/steelbook version in the US? I see Best Buy has the $10 credit towards a future purchase, Amazon has what looks like an exclusive card, etc.

Edit: Best Buy is out of stock on the preorder it looks like?

Aug 25, 2019
So I was listening to the Kotaku podcast it sounds like I should just buy the OG one? Would you recommend buying this one even though it is double in price.

EDIT UPDATE: I was wrong, if you listen to Episode: 222 at 11min mark he goes into great detail about why Royal is a better game. I apologize for my incorrect statement. At the 16 min mark he goes into detail about how they better revised it and doesn't recommend it as a must buy if you already played the vanilla version of Persona 5, but still thinks it is a good game to get.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
I wouldn't recommend getting the vanilla edition at all anymore. Wait for a sale on Royal if you must, it's a much better experience.
Who the hell recommended that? Reviews and impressions all say that this is worth it.
Thanks both of you for your insight. I only take people's opinions lightly, I do a lot of my own research! I will consider the newer version of the game. I will continue to look stuff up about it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Did they fix the monotonous, unfun chorefest that is Mementos in royal?
It seems they've added a bunch of new stuff to it including making the designs themselves a bit more distinct as well as a few new things to break up the monotony including new things to collect do and different music tracks(Iirc) . Dunno if it'll make it anyone's favorite part, but it does look a lot better.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
They'll have to take Persona 6 in a almost entirely different direction at this point. The design sensibilities that began with P3 feel like they've culminated here, and it seems like such a daunting task to try and build upon that.

Yeah I feel like at this point P6 should be a bit more scaled back from what they were able to accomplish here, because I don't know how they can possibly top it without it becoming a caricature of itself. Or at the very least taking the UI/style in such an opposite direction or something.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Did they fix the monotonous, unfun chorefest that is Mementos in royal?
The reviews seem to think so, yes. It's definitely been given a gigantic overhaul either way: there's new music (which now changes, Persona 3-style, depending on how far you go), and a system where you can collect stamps to place different modifiers on the dungeon to dynamically alter difficulty/XP/items/etc. There's also a new NPC that can trade you for various rewards using flowers you find as you explore. Some reviews have mentioned that the floor generation is expanded as well. Your mileage may vary on whether or not this all equates to fixing it, but they've definitely made some sweeping changes.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Got this in my mail today, one of the few good things about living in Spain right now, some stores are sending early

dA7DbFp.jpg

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to this. No clue what Persona is outside of a JRPG, but I have a ton of time on my hands all the sudden so I figured why not dive in now?

Same here. Got the game early, I'm 15 hours in and all I can say is: I'm an idiot for not getting into this series sooner, it's amazing.
Weirdly enough, this takes me back to the time I played jet set radio and shenmue on Dreamcast.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Same here. Got the game early, I'm 15 hours in and all I can say is: I'm an idiot for not getting into this series sooner, it's amazing.
Weirdly enough, this takes me back to the time I played jet set radio and shenmue on Dreamcast.
Have fun playing it guys.

Just remember to be patient, lots of texts & scenes.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pumped. I loved the first game but never actually finished it; got very close to the end, then got sidetracked by other things and didn't feel like I could just pick it back up where I left off. Always wanted to restart but it's a daunting game to jump into. Sounds like this version is well worth the time.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
Waited to play P5, then P5R was announced. Figured I could wait another year. Picking up the standard digital edition!

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That accolades trailer was pretty light on accolades. They could've plastered it with 10/10s, lol.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be able to buy it when GameStop starts accepting trade ins again

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
I liked the OG game, but what really soured my experience was the awful translation. The phone convo's were just repeating the same line of "yeah they are bad guys, look at how bad they are we have to stop them" that I was spamming X the entire time just to get through it. A real shame compared to the personality that the Persona 4 Golden translation had.

My question now to the folks that had the privilige or know of this, is the translation massively improved? If so, I might just actually get a copy of the game, since that's what really killed the original for me, if we're talking about negative points.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

I guess the Shenmue I can kinda see, in that you're doing tasks, you can get jobs, etc. What the hell is the Jet Set Radio? Maybe just the out there art style?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the OG game, but what really soured my experience was the awful translation. The phone convo's were just repeating the same line of "yeah they are bad guys, look at how bad they are we have to stop them" that I was spamming X the entire time just to get through it. A real shame compared to the personality that the Persona 4 Golden translation had.

My question now to the folks that had the privilige or know of this, is the translation massively improved? If so, I might just actually get a copy of the game, since that's what really killed the original for me, if we're talking about negative points.

It's definitely improved. Don't have specific shots atm but the differences I've seen have been much better.

Edit: Here is one I found

Last edited: