• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
Yo I hear you like Persona. Turns out, you're not alone.
Persona 5 Royal was released in Japan last week on October 31st, and sales tracker Famitsu Sales reports that 201,448 copies of the remake were sold during its first week.

Persona Opening Sales Comparison
A comparison of the Japanese opening sales (and lifetime sales) of previous Persona remakes. All numbers are taken from the Famitsu sales tracker.
  1. [PS4] Persona 5 Royal {2019.10.31} – 201,448 / NEW
  2. [PSV] Persona 4 Golden {2012.06.14} – 152,499 / 325,681
  3. [PSP] Persona 3 Portable {2009.11.01} – 108,343 / 208,877
  4. [PS2] Persona 3 FES {2007.04.19} – 105,099 / 165,471
  5. [PSP] Persona {2009.04.29} – 95,406 / 156,205
  6. [PSP] Persona 2: innocent Sin {2011.04.14} – 62,091 / 112,412
  7. [PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment {2012.05.17} – 28,212 / 57,905
A graph for the visual learners

Prior to the release of Persona 5 Royal, the Persona series had reached 10 million sales worldwide as of August 2019.
via Persona Central

EDIT: Additional information brought to us by the user with the stellar username, JAROD McCHICKEN:
And this is for a full price rerelease. Bodes honestly crazy well for Persona 5 Scramble.

"More impressively it's the 3rd (2nd with digital) biggest launch for any Persona title in Japan, behind the original Persona 5 and Persona 4", Game Data Library adds.
The Persona brand continues to grow. What was once considered niche is now rather popular with the kids and selling more and more with each release. And it seems like despite concerns about the game's potential performance, it's had the biggest debut yet for a re-release, without even accounting for digital sales. And it's not even on a console that it would be PERFECT 4...

Do you think the game will continue flexing strong sales moving forward? Why do you think a remake/re-release + new content is selling like it is?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
And this is for a full price rerelease. Bodes honestly crazy well for Persona 5 Scramble.

"More impressively it's the 3rd (2nd with digital) biggest launch for any Persona title in Japan, behind the original Persona 5 and Persona 4", Game Data Library adds.

OP
OP
Zassimick

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017

Oh that's cool to see. I'm going to add this to the OP if for no other reason than to bring attention to the user with the name Jarod McChicken.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
It sold nearly 10 times what P2 Eternal Punishment sold back when it released. Oof.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really happy to see it ding well.

Can't wait for the english release as I love everything new I've seen in Royal.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Shame it won't see a sale from me since it didn't remove its homophobia.
Sure.

Definitely looking forward to it's western release. Much of my love for the game came from identifying with some of the characters and how it tackles real life issues in an insane and twisted way.

Atlus needs to mature in terms of some things (already quoted) but none of it managed to take away from what ultimately was and IS one of my favorite video games of the decade.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Second best selling overall too... For a re-release on the same console that's mighty impressive. It's great to see the franchise grow so much.
Scramble is going to do great numbers.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I want it, but I dread playing it on PS4.
If they could finally make a PC port or some Handhelds like... uh... obviously the VITA
would be nice

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Very excited to play this when it comes to west. Hopefully Persona 6 announcement for PS5 doesn't take too long afterwards.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
I'm kind of interested in this game because of all the high review scores, but I've never played a Persona game before and not sure what to expect. What percentage of the game is combat/dungeon crawling/traditional RPG stuff and what percentage is the social sim/text wall stuff? I only really like the former but I heard in the original release there were sometimes 10 hour segments of just the latter and I 'm debating if I could make the time for that

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a PS4 and Switch. I keep hearing about Persona. I watched a few Persona 5 gameplay videos and it looks like a fun RPG. I have no idea where to start. lol

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Royal will probably be a much later on PS5 back compat kinda thing for me, judging from impressions I've read. I'm not the biggest fan of 5 vanilla either.

Looking forward to Scramble though.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have a PS4 and Switch. I keep hearing about Persona. I watched a few Persona 5 gameplay videos and it looks like a fun RPG. I have no idea where to start. lol

They're all separate stories. At this point it'd be best just to get Royal(the rerelease of P5 with more content) when it comes to the west next year sometime.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
We're just calling anything a remake these days.

but semantics aside, it did sell really well. Personally I'm more excited for Scramble though, hope we gets a western release date in a timely fashion.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
I'm kind of interested in this game because of how highly reviewed it's been, but I've never played a Persona game before. What percentage of the game is combat/dungeon crawling/traditional RPG stuff and what percentage is the social sim/text wall stuff? I only really like the former but I heard in the original release there were sometimes 10 hour segments of just the latter and I 'm debating if I could make the time for that kind of pacing
Persona 5 vanilla was my first Persona game and I loved it. It is really heavy storywise though, way more story than Dungeon crawling, not to say there isn't a good chunk of that, just a lot of character conversations.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's getting completely massacred on AmazonJP so fans aren't happy with the experience

AmazonJP is notably toxic but fans are consistent about their unhappiness with the price tag and how they handled new content

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of interested in this game because of how highly reviewed it's been, but I've never played a Persona game before. What percentage of the game is combat/dungeon crawling/traditional RPG stuff and what percentage is the social sim/text wall stuff? I only really like the former but I heard in the original release there were sometimes 10 hour segments of just the latter with no combat and I 'm debating if I could make the time for that

The worst part is the beginning, where there is relatively little combat and dungeon crawling because of how much setup needs to be done for the story. That said, I'm pretty sure P5 gets you into the action much earlier than previous games because of this specific complaint. I think at most you'd have an hour of downtime at the very start before you get to combat, but it's been a while since I've played.

Later on, the only reason you'd have 10-hour blocks of no combat is if you specifically chose to avoid it. In fact, the complaint I remember was the opposite: the structure of Persona 5 is such that it encourages you to finish dungeons in a single in-game day, which can often mean hours of running through a dungeon and doing nothing but fighting.

Even during the periods where you don't have an active dungeon and have time to kill doing social stuff, there's always Mementos if you need to punch some demons in the face.

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm rather surprised. The value for the overall package is quite poor compared to P5 base, though then again, Atlus was rather misleading about the changes P5R introduced. Will be interested to see w2 sales, considering how bad the overall reception has seemed to be.

OP
OP
Zassimick

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
When it's coming out in USA?
No word yet. GameInformer says March 2020 as of Oct 2, 2019, but it's the first I'm hearing of it and I don't know if I'd trust it to be accurate.

I'm kind of interested in this game because of how highly reviewed it's been, but I've never played a Persona game before. What percentage of the game is combat/dungeon crawling/traditional RPG stuff and what percentage is the social sim/text wall stuff? I only really like the former but I heard in the original release there were sometimes 10 hour segments of just the latter and I 'm debating if I could make the time for that kind of pacing
The original game has a reputation for being a goddamn slog, but I think that's a bit of hyperbole. Some parts dragged, and your enjoyment through longer dungeon segments will depend on how productive you are working through them versus splitting up your run over the course of a number of days, and whether you click with the combat and the characters/story.

Regardless, if you haven't played before I think this will be a good entry point. If you want something cheaper you could go with the original Persona 5 which you can get for around $20 (or play through PSNow) but I've recommended my friends who haven't played a game in the series before to just wait for Royal and give that your attention.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The Persona brand continues to grow. What was once considered niche is now rather popular with the kids and selling more and more with each release.

Let's not get too wild. The original releases of Persona 1 & 4 both sold about 200k in their first week. Persona 5 & 5R are doing noticeably better than past games, but not exponentially so. Outside Japan is where the series is rapidly changing from a niche series to a better known one.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of interested in this game because of all the high review scores, but I've never played a Persona game before and not sure what to expect. What percentage of the game is combat/dungeon crawling/traditional RPG stuff and what percentage is the social sim/text wall stuff? I only really like the former but I heard in the original release there were sometimes 10 hour segments of just the latter and I 'm debating if I could make the time for that

There are longish sections in both P4 and 5 with no dungeons and fighting but it's never anywhere close to 10 hours

OP
OP
Zassimick

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
Let's not get too wild. The original releases of Persona 1 & 4 both sold about 200k in their first week. Persona 5 & 5R are doing noticeably better than past games, but not exponentially so. Outside Japan is where the series is rapidly changing from a niche series to a better known one.
Ah, appreciate the factual insight here. I'm posting this topic from a place of ignorance on the sales front, just that I know popularity of the franchise is growing (which is probably more from outside Japan like you mentioned.)

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I played the game on Hard mode & I'd say it was about 2/3rds RPG dungeon crawling stuff & 1/3rd social sim stuff. However, there's more story stuff in dungeons than in most games so maybe a 60-40 split? Also, if you're playing on the easier difficulty modes, it's probably a more even split or even in favor of the social sim elements. There definitely weren't any 10 hour segments with just social sim stuff, but some of the dungeons could easily get in the 5+ hour range if you tried to do them all in one-go.

If you're interested in this kind of thing & have a Wii U or a Switch, I highly recommend giving Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE a try. It feels a lot like a Persona game to me, but more heavily focuses on the RPG/dungeon stuff.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

I would buy the vanilla Persona 5 since it has been on offer for like 20$ and you wouldn't lose a lot if you don't like it. The game is 100h long for its main story and its social aspect makes for half of the experience. The pace is really bad and it felt like a slog for me way before the midpoint... so if you're not so much into the social part, you probably won't feel the need for more content when you are playing it. Unironically, I would recommend Royal if they cut like 40h from the original game and fixed the pace... but it looks like that wasn't what happened.