• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
From speaking with senior project manager Yu Namba, who has played a major part of the series localization dating back to Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (2000), there'll be some changes to existing lines of dialogue in P5R. Specifically, we talked about the gay couple that would harrass Ryuji at certain points of the original game--they were "portrayed [as] more like predatory," as Namba put it. When I asked him about those scenes, Namba stated, "I think the community had a very strong response to that, and you saw that, and that was definitely altered for Royal."

As for how those characters and lines have changed, Namba simply said, "We made it [as if they're] being very strong enthusiasts for something they like doing. But it's not like they're on the hunt for some young boys or anything." It's clear that, like the fan base, those who worked on Persona 5's localization felt some type of way about it, too. Namba told me, "Our team members felt a little bit of awkwardness about when working on it," with regards to those moments in the original release. He also said it was no easy task to get the green light to make changes. He concluded, "We're pretty happy with what it is. It's not a significant change, but I think there's enough of a change that people who weren't comfortable going through that part in Persona 5 would feel better this time around."

Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/persona-5-royal-will-be-worthwhile-even-for-return/1100-6473781/

Hey they listened to people. Shout out to the people who read this and are going to get irrationally mad. You give YouTube reactionaries a living.

Edit: Here is the edited scene.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
It's overall a good thing for sure

On the one hand those types of old dudes who creep a lot and don't get no means no absolutely do exist, on the other hand I'm not sure a Japanese game with no real positive representation is the game to have that

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They shouldnt have done it in the first place, but it's good they are listening and changing things.

Unfortunately there is plenty of other problematic stuff in the game

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they destroyed the ARTISTIC INTEGRITY of Persona 5!

This censorship cannot stand! Gamers rise up!

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Was it just a change in localization or was it also changed in the Japanese original?

I mean, they can change it, but it means shit if the original is still problematic.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear.

That said, will this make Atlus learn? I am in it for the long haul not just the west.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Was it just a change in localization or was it also changed in the Japanese original?

I mean, they can change it, but it means shit if the original is still problematic.
The original still has it. This time around it seems the localization team had more of an opportunity to change it.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
"He also said it was no easy task to get the green light to make changes"

Glad they got the green light, but still. This is frustrating.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see. That shit so ruined the themes of the game that I couldn't bother finishing it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The issue is on the product, not on the localization. They're the last Atlus folks I'd ring about changing this

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To me it sounds like the localization team wanted to fix this mess rather than it being a change of heart from Atlus proper. Good on the team for wanting to change it but it's sad on how they're tasked with needing to clean up whatever messes Atlus makes themselves.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Hey look at that, speaking up against this shit resulted in actual changes (in the localisation, at least)!

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear.

That said, will this make Atlus learn? I am in it for the long haul not just the west.
Pushback from Japanese players is the only thing they'll listen to. I've got no idea whether this has been much of a topic over there though (I'd guess not, but that would merely reflect my own prejudice against Japanese players).

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Good, at least Atlus West is doing what they can. It's a shame that Atlus Japan keeps dealing them shitty hands. I can't imagine how rough it must be for the localization team at Atlus West to deal with Atlus Japan's bigotry (Hashino especially).

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
We'll see how much they actually changed it. Didn't they say the same thing about altering Full Body, but only ended up using Erika's preferred name in the credits in the end?

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
It would be cool to see an actual screenshot of this or clip. From what I remember I can't see them making it much better unless they cut the scene out entirely. Though Atlus probably doesn't care enough to get the programmers to remove it. :/

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
This is good, and I'm glad the localisation team is speaking up about this stuff. In general I'm pretty sympathetic towards the localisation team anyway (Some of the bigotry in these games is just the point of the narrative, and it's hard to get around that), but that more is being done helps with the whole "believing the localisation team are decent people" thing.

That said. I suspect even with these newer, larger changes, there will be a limit to what they can do. And also it seems like they had to fight for this??? And also also, it's important to remember that the non-localised version of the game will still have these issues. This is not "Bigotry has been defeated", it's "Persona 5 Royal will be *slightly* less painful to play through in English".

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Would prefer them cutting the scenes full stop, but oh well, it's a start.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
It's so weird how centralized ATLUS is and how employees have to fight to have blatant 1960s era homophobia removed

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
It was a minor scene but it's good they changed it. I wonder if the writers will get their act together for the next game and not do anything like this to begin with.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
We actually were able to go through some of the lines that players may not have received as well, look at that feedback, and then [update it] for the current generation

"Current Generation" lmfao

Atlus US proving to be the better human beings than Atlus JP though. Shoutouts to those at Atlus that pushed for this

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great. Now get rid of the stupid redeeming Akechi stuff.
Agreed. Fuck Akechi.

What a terrible character.
Absolutely the right mindset to have. This will require a change of viewpoint on the Japanese side of things so the original product doesn't attack people for being who they are.
Pushback from Japanese players is the only thing they'll listen to. I've got no idea whether this has been much of a topic over there though (I'd guess not, but that would merely reflect my own prejudice against Japanese players).
It's a shame. You got Yakuza series where the games actually removed anti LGBT stuff from the original versions and the developers spoke out why they did that.

Then you get Atlus who only seems to be falling more and more into anime tropes, sexualization, offensive and bad story elements. I have a feeling it will get worse...