• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Is there any way to get the theme that comes with the Steelbook Edition when buying digitally?

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
10 hours in and loving it (going through the 1st palace). This game is just way too good, I doubt FF7 remake is this good.

Sep 7, 2018
Wanted to check out a new challenge battle since I only did a first one and found out that the rest was locked behind DLC. I thought all the DLC for this game was just outfits and music.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Probably an unpopular opinion but I kinda miss the silhouettes of people instead of having actual character models when walking around.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
For the trophy "Awakening the Phantom Thieves: Evolved a party member's Persona".

I got to rank 10 with Ryuji and his Persona evolved. Is this not what this trophy means? It did not unlock.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ok, before I buy this game

Just want to make 100% sure there's NO reason to purchase and play vanilla Persona 5 before this.

Is there anything important in that game that is missing from Royal? Or is this truly the definitive version of P5?

If the two games are different enough, I have no issue playing the base game now and Royal in a couple years.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
ok, before I buy this game

Just want to make 100% sure there's NO reason to purchase and play vanilla Persona 5 before this.

Is there anything important in that game that is missing from Royal? Or is this truly the definitive version of P5?

If the two games are different enough, I have no issue playing the base game now and Royal in a couple years.
There's nothing missing. This game is a 100% superset of vanilla. No reason to play or get vanilla now outside of budget reasons.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
For the trophy "Awakening the Phantom Thieves: Evolved a party member's Persona".

I got to rank 10 with Ryuji and his Persona evolved. Is this not what this trophy means? It did not unlock.
Got an answer for anyone wondering:

You need to see their Rank 11 third awakening which unlocks in third semester.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Still early in the game (even though I've been playing for six hours, lol), and am navigating the first palace looking for treasure. I encounter my first... I forget what it's called, but stronger enemy that is on "fire," and I die. Next time, after some frustrating backtracking, I get to him and it seems to instruct me to run away, so I do. Cool.

Get to a save room after that... but now there's another similar enemy blocking my path to progress. Am I supposed to be running away right now, or is there some method to beating them that I just don't understand? Even when I get the ambush I'm getting fucked. Appreciate any guidance :)

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The accessories that give skills is definitely kind of broken and honestly kinda dumb. I guess they were put in the game to give party members more variety but I liked relying on Joker for that and having every party member just specialize. I guess its for the people that want a set party without having to change depending on the situation when they can just use those accessories. Its optional so whatever. They added a lot of training wheels in Royal when I don't remember that many complaints about difficulty with the original game. It definitely wasn't as bullshit as earlier SMT games.

Still early in the game (even though I've been playing for six hours, lol), and am navigating the first palace looking for treasure. I encounter my first... I forget what it's called, but stronger enemy that is on "fire," and I die. Next time, after some frustrating backtracking, I get to him and it seems to instruct me to run away, so I do. Cool.

Get to a save room after that... but now there's another similar enemy blocking my path to progress. Am I supposed to be running away right now, or is there some method to beating them that I just don't understand? Even when I get the ambush I'm getting fucked. Appreciate any guidance :)
Red enemies just means they're harder for your level, not unbeatable. If it was the knight on horseback Persona whose name escapes me, take advantage of the Dormina skill to do technical damage to him. You'll end up with 1 or 2 dead party members on occasion at lower levels but you should be able to take him out or you can wait until you're higher level before trying. Also, he does have an elemental weakness so just experiment with that.

Make sure you're holding up every Persona you come across at least once to try to get them to join.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The Persona Q2 outfit next to normal outfits is sending me

EUukSQYXkAAt3ly

Also the Featherman outfit song is fantastic lmao

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017

Exploit their weakness, if you didn't already know what it is, it's Zio . Otherwise, exploit technicals like Dormina or Dizzy.

If in the future you don't feel like you want to bother with them, there's an item that you can craft that temporarily makes you invisible to shadows.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Showtimes are completely broken, they're like the Attractions from KH3. At this point I've just stopped using them because they make it too easy. I got a party member got wiped instantly and as soon as I revived him, the showtime popped even though the enemy was still at max health.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
The accessories that give skills is definitely kind of broken and honestly kinda dumb. I guess they were put in the game to give party members more variety but I liked relying on Joker for that and having every party member just specialize. I guess its for the people that want a set party without having to change depending on the situation when they can just use those accessories. Its optional so whatever. They added a lot of training wheels in Royal when I don't remember that many complaints about difficulty with the original game. It definitely wasn't as bullshit as earlier SMT games.

Red enemies just means they're harder for your level, not unbeatable. If it was the knight on horseback Persona whose name escapes me, take advantage of the Dormina skill to do technical damage to him. You'll end up with 1 or 2 dead party members on occasion at lower levels but you should be able to take him out or you can wait until you're higher level before trying. Also, he does have an elemental weakness so just experiment with that.

Make sure you're holding up every Persona you come across at least once to try to get them to join.
Exploit their weakness, if you didn't already know what it is, it's Zio . Otherwise, exploit technicals like Dormina or Dizzy.

If in the future you don't feel like you want to bother with them, there's an item that you can craft that temporarily makes you invisible to shadows.

Thanks so much!! I forgot you can cycle through personas... duh. I'm still new to this!

Thank you! Also, I didn't really understand the "execute" and "fuse" mechanic earlier, so I think I fucked some stuff up. I'll tinker with this a bit and come back if I have more questions. Thanks!

Oct 26, 2017
Showtimes are completely broken, they're like the Attractions from KH3. At this point I've just stopped using them because they make it too easy. I got a party member got wiped instantly and as soon as I revived him, the showtime popped even though the enemy was still at max health.

I've only seen it used for the introductory tutorial and I got the same feeling since they just come up on their own and do massive damage without any resource cost.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Always felt it was weird how
Makoto's arc is mostly about someone else

Last edited:

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man this game is so nice right now. I thought I would dread replaying the early parts but the whole vibe of the game is just so jazzy and relaxed that it's totally relaxing just cruising through the intro. I can't wait to actually play the game now, I lost momentum after like 20 hours in regular P5, but I have a lot more time now than I did then.

Sep 7, 2018
Post 3rd Palace
I just saw this scene with the SIU Director basically revealing that the next target will be a fake that they set p. I don't recall this being in the original. I remember being surprised once that information was revealed at the end of the game and I think it's better to have it like it was, especially for people playing this for the first time. I don't really like those Director scenes in general though it feels... I'm not sure how to describe so... mustache-twirly I guess.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Always felt it was weird how
Makoto's arc is mostly about someone else

tumblr_inline_p285x8AgT21v125x6_540.png
tumblr_inline_p285x9cz361v125x6_540.png

tumblr_inline_p285x9wxt91v125x6_540.png

I mean, this is just one example but her confidant is about her coming to terms with what her life goals are and why she feels what way she does. Her spending time with Eiko is just a way for her to reflect on herself. It's like what she says in Rank 1, there's a lot she doesn't know about life because she's spent so much time studying for the path she thought was right.

She's student council president and wants to be the police commissioner for a reason. If you ask me, I think it's only fitting that her social link involves her helping out a fellow student growing as a person.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
There are so many activities I want to do in the game now. Just had the first outing with the Velvet twins and that was genuinely hilarious.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I feel way in over my head - I don't have a clue what confident arcane fusing stuff it keeps telling me about is. I'm absolutely lost as to the appropriate way to execute my personas, pretty sure I screwed something up big time in the first tutorial. I just got a part-time job... seems I was supposed to? But then the next day Ann is like "yo we better hurry the f up for the palace" so I just went back. Lots of systems, lots of "hope I'm doing this kinda sorta right."

And yet, right now, I don't care. This game scratches an itch I just didn't know I had! I'm loving this. Everything just comes together so nicely in ways most modern JRPGs don't. The characters are already entertaining. The voice acting/dub is surprisingly great. It oozes style. Soundtrack bops. I love where the story is going already. Cutscene direction is aces. Combat seems deep. The story is gripping. And yeah, sometimes it's a little goofy or doesn't really make sense - but even the game leans in heavily and just goes with it.. "basically shadows are the bad guys, kill them." Love how it embraces that.

I'm very, very afraid I'm doing stuff wrong and am gonna get a hard stop requiring lost progress, just because it's a lot to grasp. But if I can preserve, I can easily see this being one of my favorite JRPGs ever, and I say that only being about 7 hrs in and at the "half-way" point of the first palace (according to the cat).

Seven hours may not seem like much - but I typically can only drop 3-4 hours into a game a week between work and wife and baby. So this has clearly grabbed me.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
If I have one major complaint with Persona 5 it's that the school and daytime town themes are nowhere near as strong as the ones in P3 and 4, it's a shame this wasn't addressed in Royal

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I've had doubts about FFVIIR ever since it was announced but my first impressions were very good tbf, I only played about 15 mins though lol, I want to be fully awake before I start properly

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been paying any attention to this game, how much of an overhaul is it? Bigger than P4G?
The amount of differences even in the first thirty minutes makes me think they're pretty substantial. Surprises here and there, big and small, and QoL refinements that I certainly appreciate. The first day transition going by in a few seconds vs. the unskippable slowness of the base game is already huge if that's how it is in the rest of the game.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a way to see which attack is weak against certain type of enemy when i have joker? What i mean is, do i really need to summon each persona and see if one of their skill have the weak symbol against one of the monster im fighting?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Jose is a nice addition to Mementos, but I'm not sure it's enough to save it... An indicator in which level he is would have been nice, for one.

Nice shop background, though.

Is there a way to see which attack is weak against certain type of enemy when i have joker? What i mean is, do i really need to summon each persona and see if one of their skill have the weak symbol against one of the monster im fighting?
Press L1 (with any character) to see a summary of the shadows you're fighting against. If you have discovered their weaknesses it will be shown there.

I just started this the other night after beating the original and something felt a little off and I couldn't figure it out and you just nailed it.
What silhouettes are you talking about? I don't see any difference between vanilla and Royal as far as random Tokyo NPCs go, aside from the addition of tourists with selfie sticks at least.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks guys.

So red shadows tou can never capture them because they are one level above you right?

And about social stuff, when someone ask me to do something, i should always do it with them right away, right?

For now i usually study when it's raining

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I feel the updates in this are more substantial than Golden.

It's kinda funny because I remember the Import thread for vanilla back at the old place was extremely positive and while the western release OT was positive, there was a lot more criticism. Seems like the reverse for Royal where the impressions thread seemed pretty critical but this thread has been pretty damn positive.