• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn on whether to get this or not. I don't think I can beat it before FF7R.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
How long will it take for their to be good walkthroughs for this?

I bought P5 at launch and really, really enjoyed it. I'm in my 30s so I don't have unlimited time anymore and I found a good walkthrough to "max all social links on one play through" that was pretty much spoiler free but made sure you could see everything. Made it through the first dungeon after tenish hours or whatever and didn't capture(?) one of the things I needed to have it equipped when you hang out with certain people which I think would have screwed up the play through, so I dropped it =(

against better judgement, I wanna get this and try again but I also don't want to get tens of hours into it and realize I screwed stuff up and will miss a ton of the content.
any advice?

I went through the game without a guide, I had prior Persona experience, but this was the easiest one by far to max all links in 1 play through. For perspective, I had everyone maxed with a month left in the game. If you do follow a guide, you should have more than enough leeway to max everyone out even if you mess something up.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it's really hard to keep my money and not buy this game...

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Wondering if I should use a 100% guide or not. I usually do on first playthroughs, and save the freestyle approach for NG+ when I don't have to worry about social stats at the very least.

Maybe I could compromise and only follow the guide when it comes to leveling social stats. Everything else--confidants, palace raids, mementos--I will do when I want to do them.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best JRPG ever returns. RIP to a hundred hours of my time all over again.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if I should use a 100% guide or not. I usually do on first playthroughs, and save the freestyle approach for NG+ when I don't have to worry about social stats at the very least.

Maybe I could compromise and only follow the guide when it comes to leveling social stats. Everything else--confidants, palace raids, mementos--I will do when I want to do them.

There's so many confidants and jobs that raises your socials that I think you'll have to either 100% follow it or not. The only time you really need to do stat specific activities are in the early game or on rainy days, those are the days where nothing else is available.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Personally I always feel you should freestyle on the first playthrough. The vanilla experience for P3/4/5 had never been about seeing everything, but working with the time you have to do the things you want. Just like real life! Following a 100% guide sucks all the joy out of experiencing the game, not to mention will probably drive you insane to complete the requisite minmax steps. The expanded rereleases typically are more generous with free time, but every game was never designed to let you "complete everything" on the first run.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This will probably have to wait until it's $30 or lower. Will be good to have feedback from the English speaking fandom though.

Sep 14, 2018
I would never use a 100% guide on a first play through (or ever) but I understand there's people who are only going to play it once and want to see as much as they can.

Though I wonder if having to follow a guide so closely contributes to the feeling of the game feeling too long/ too tiring/ like a chore, etc. To me it's just a fun time, no stress involved. Going through this game with a spreadsheet open just sounds iffy.

Last edited:

Megauap

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Was going to start my first playthrough with Merciless difficulty after seeing the changes they made in Royal. However, after reading some of your comments I'm not so sure anymore. I want it to be a challenge but I don't want to be wiped out in a battle just because of a lucky enemy cast or something like that which may annoy me enough to just abandon the game.
I also don't know if after losing a battle you can retry it or if you have to load a save losing you progress made in the last X amount of time.

What would you recommend?

Sep 14, 2018
What would you recommend?

I recommend good ol' hard mode :)

Amusingly, with the change to exp Merciless is now easier than hard lol. I think it's ok for NG+ though, but yeah it's a bit of a bloodbath and Joker doesn't like 1 hit kills. No battle retries so progress loss is a thing, but not that frequent tbh you can dish it out a lot more than the AI.

Megauap

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I recommend good ol' hard mode :)

Amusingly, with the change to exp Merciless is now easier than hard lol. I think it's ok for NG+ though, but yeah it's a bit of a bloodbath and Joker doesn't like 1 hit kills.

What confuses me here is: if Merciless differences with Hard is that Damage is dealt at a 0.65% ratio but you get more exp and money, wouldn't it be a better idea to start with Merciless? This way you avoid some of the grind to overcome this harder difficulty, don't you? Or does Merciless also mean that there is a higher change of a lucky enemy cast to appear or things like that which kills you in 1 hit?

Last edited:

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Told myself I wasnt buying this as being a poor college student who already platinumed persona 5 I could wait till it got cheaper I had a job in the summer.

I caved lol, still probably wont play it till the end of april though

Sep 14, 2018
What confuses me here is: if Merciless differences with Hard is that Damage is dealt at a 0.65% ratio but you get more exp and money, wouldn't it be a better idea to start with Merciless? This way you avoid some of the grind to overcome this harder difficulty, don't you? Or does Merciless also mean that there is a hicher change of a lucky enemy cast to appear or things like that which kills you in 1 hit?

Hmm no I don't think there's a higher chance just the usual, the thing is anyone who gets hit by their weakness dies pretty much every time, or who gets critted or tech'd, I doubt that damage reduction will change much in that regard. So it's kind of easier in that way? lol it's definitely fun for a while if rather volatile.

If you wanna try it I say go for it, edit: you can drop down to the other difficulties so might as well check it out?

Oh and I distinctly remember having trouble recruiting new personas cause everything just died so I could never negotiate or get all out attacks.

Last edited:

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got mine 2 days ago. Was going to skip it but then someone cancelled their collectors edition pre-order and they shipped it a week early. Really want to experience this game when Idont have to work from home the whole day. Thankfully it's almost weekend

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
How the hell did you design this OP it looks official straight out of Atlus as if they made this high quality OP
Combined quality assets from the Western and Japanese websites. Persona 5's visual style is so clearly defined that I barely had to do anything, I just opened up PS and arranged everything in a way that made sense to me.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Will be waiting on a sale for this one. Just too many games on the go right now with RE Resistance, Panzer Dragoon Remake and my backlog of games (Radiant Historia on 3DS and replaying Shadow Hearts 1) and RE3 next week and FF7 Remake & Disaster Report 4 soon after that. Can't hold all these games!

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Just saw someone posted a Target add cover for B2G1 next week and this was on the cover. Think I'll get this and Doom and something else..... (persona and doom; very similar games you know)

Diablo Rosso

Apr 18, 2018
My copy has arrived.

EUHI_P2X0AAqUji

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
My copy arrived yestarday (Collector's edition) if someone interested I did a YT Video (in spanish tho).

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
What is the exact time that pre-loading starts on PSN and when the game gets unlocked in EST?
Ask because of the throttling of PSN speeds Sony just announced in US and Europe.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

Side Note: I really like Akechi's change in this part of the story, he is not hiding behind a mask and he's such an ass