• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I bet it get its first sale in a month or two. Can't imagine this selling well. I'm on the fence myself. Really don't like the fact that they couldn't even be bothered to make this run in 60fps, as a game that was built for PS3 architecture.

60fps would be a good start.
This isn't 60fps? It literally feels like it is from playing it so far.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
No. The people around you had models but were much simpler without faces or anything and those not in your proximity were grey silhouettes.
That is still the case?

NIvvIye.jpg

Shibuya station square is especially full of them.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
This isn't 60fps? It literally feels like it is from playing it so far.
it's 30fps. doesn't feel like 60fps to me at all. honestly, this is the kind of game where framerate doesn't matter much. the only time it'd really make any difference is when you're running around. for the vast majority of the game it's just artwork/text + character models standing doing very basic actions. 60fps isn't required.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
it's 30fps. doesn't feel like 60fps to me at all. honestly, this is the kind of game where framerate doesn't matter much. the only time it'd really make any difference is when you're running around. for the vast majority of the game it's just artwork/text + character models standing doing very basic actions. 60fps isn't required.
The next time you scroll through Resetera on your phone try to acknowledge how smooth everything looks and feels. Browsing through this forum in 30fps would be one horrible experience, even though a high framerate isn't really required.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
The next time you scroll through Resetera on your phone try to acknowledge how smooth everything looks and feels. Browsing through this forum in 30fps would be one horrible experience, even though a high framerate isn't really required.
i'm using this website on a 165hz display right now. it's just fine on a lower refresh screen too. plus there is no vertical scrolling or large amounts of text in persona so you can't really compare a site like this to the game.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I'm having fun so far!
Beat the first palace. I find myself constantly stressed though because there is so much to do in free time, and all of it seems important. I have no idea if there are things I need to be doing (should I get a job, any confidants to focus on early, which stats to raise first etc etc).

I have been googling a ton but haven't found a great resource to help choice paralysis lol.

Also - the Vincent costume makes the battle music amazing!! Wtf is this even from I love it.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Played and beat the original version, played Royal for a few hours today and thought the move speed of your character felt super fast. Is this just me?

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I forgot how op those dlc personas are lol. I messed around with them in the first palace. To be fair I already played vanilla 5 and never really used them so it was fun to see the enemies get destroyed easily.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Forgot how bad of a month September is gameplay-wise. So many days where you can't do anything. FFing through this whole month I guess.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
i'm using this website on a 165hz display right now. it's just fine on a lower refresh screen too. plus there is no vertical scrolling or large amounts of text in persona so you can't really compare a site like this to the game.
There is a lot of movement on the screen though (naturally, because it's a game), which looks crappy in 30fps (to my eyes at least and I don't have eagle eyes).

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in May, best way to build up Guts? The burger? Seems like a lot of Guts checks. Also just got Yusuke, who's the weak link?

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm still in May, best way to build up Guts? The burger? Seems like a lot of Guts checks. Also just got Yusuke, who's the weak link?
Burger challenge and lots of books and movies give Guts I think. There's no weak link - all main characters are pretty strong. Depends on what elements you need in battle. Yusuke can hit pretty hard physically as well by the end of the game.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

I dumped Mona for Yusuke.

They're all good in their own ways. Mona is more versatile and is a little good at everything.

The skill accessories in the early game are kind of a game changer because it really lets you be more flexible as well. I.e. you don't need to bring Mona for wind if you give the Garu ring to someone else.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017

Read Gallant Rogue, Watch X-Folders from Shibuya Rentals if you bought the DVD Player from the nearby junk shop, Death Confidant and Surprise Sando from Shibuya Diner. Generally speaking

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Man I have only just unlocked the first palace and already guns have completely changed combat for me compared to the original. I can actually use them freely now and not just to test enemy weakness!

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read Gallant Rogue, Watch X-Folders from Shibuya Rentals if you bought the DVD Player from the nearby junk shop, Death Confidant and Surprise Sando from Shibuya Diner. Generally speaking
Thanks, man I feel like I'm wasting my days or at least not being as efficient as I should be. This is why I dropped p3 back in the day.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
For some reason my mind won't let me use anything but the default costumes inside palaces. I've tried changing them, but it just looks out of place and I immediately switch back. The only DLC costumes I was able to use in the original were the Ultimax ones and only in the 5th palace.

Yet in Mementos I don't mind at all and I actually like the variation it adds.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Showtimes has appeared in every single Mementos boss fights. I know these weren't the hardest but now i just spam my strongest physical attacks until it shows up and heal afterwards. They're hilarious though.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I personally drop Morgana there and pretty much never use him again. Ann and Joker can cover heals for now.

Also if the guts check you're talking about is the gun store I wouldn't worry too much about that, he actually needs guts 4 to even start. He's gonna be a much later confidant for most people, they just show him early.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really starting to think 5 might have overtake 3 to be the best Persona game.. maybe

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Huh, just learned that when you decide on your group's name, there is actually a unique response from Ann if you do pick "The Diamonds" like she suggested. I never knew.

This also explains why they translated it as "The Diamonds" when in the Japanese dub she very obviously says "Pink Diamonds"—the latter would exceed the character limit, thus making this easter egg unavailable.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason my mind won't let me use anything but the default costumes inside palaces. I've tried changing them, but it just looks out of place and I immediately switch back. The only DLC costumes I was able to use in the original were the Ultimax ones and only in the 5th palace.

Yet in Mementos I don't mind at all and I actually like the variation it adds.
yeah, i find it jarring when the costumes aren't reflected in character portraits/cutscenes

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to go with the phantom troupe or lonely hearts club. Just went with hearts club

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Ok just to double check absolutely no reason to get the first one now right? Didn't buy it and saw it was on some crazy low prices and then this coming out. I have no problem waiting for this to be cheaper since I have a massive backlog of games to last me until quarantine over.

FWIW I wouldn't be someone who would want to play the first game just to see what changed in the second. I would imagine I will only play this once. I've never played a Persona game but this appears to be goat level must play.

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
Ok just to double check absolutely no reason to get the first one now right? Didn't buy it and saw it was on some crazy low prices and then this coming out. I have no problem waiting for this to be cheaper since I have a massive backlog of games to last me until quarantine over.

FWIW I wouldn't be someone who would want to play the first game just to see what changed in the second. I would imagine I will only play this once. I've never played a Persona game but this appears to be goat level must play.

That's correct; other than price, there's no reason to play the original now.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
OH SHIT.

holy_shit_keegan_michael_key.gif

Personas have traits now?! They can be inherited?!?!

I had no idea this was added to the game and I'm super hyped about it. Legitimately a game changer.

One thing I hope for Persona 6, and future SMT games in general, is that they adopt the affinity system from Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse. Basically it means that each demon has preferred skill types. Skills corresponding with that type will be cheaper to cast and do increased damage, while the opposite skill types are more expensive to cast and do less damage.

For example a demon that favors healing spells will receive a penalty for using physical attacks. A demon that resists fire is better at casting fire spells, while their ice weakness means they aren't good with ice spells.

It adds a lot of depth to the fusion system and variation to the demons you use.

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that principal look to much like a berserk villain not to be up to something

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This may have been one of the best times for this to release - it's exactly what I needed out of a game while in lockdown.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Persona 3 Silver would catapult 3 to the top for everyone if it got the treatment 5 did. Though I'm more interested to see where they go next, 5 feels like the ultimate version of the formula.
In term of content, maybe, but i can't wait to see Persona 6 on next gen and not sub ps4 graphic since it was designed for ps3 for the original

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Drop Ryuji. Yusuke has better stats by far, does the same thing and he gets access to Charge now. There's no reason to keep the weaker Physical user.

Morgana gets the best healing skills earlier than anyone else and his Lucky Punch can help get you some all out attacks against enemies with no weaknesses, or at least baton pass to someone that can land some statues.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
All right, got all the situational trophies ("try X new activity"). Now I can chill back and finish the game, about to go to the space palace. Don't think I need to check a guide at all any more, at least for trophies.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So what do you think of Yusuke so far? He makes a somewhat poor first impression, but dude shines in Mementos with his random lines.

Also lobsters. You'll understand it when you see it.

Also I don't know if you're already at the point it starts, or maybe you have already noticed. But during the 2nd half of May/early June, make sure to occasionally look behind you when walking through the school building and Shibuya Central Street.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Love the added bits where the confidants call you after hanging out.

I also think I'm gonna like the new girl. Or maybe I just really like how well her color scheme matches Joker's lol.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Just met Akechi at the TV station. He's such a good character, and the cat-and-mouse between him as the detective and the Phantom Thieves is such a great part of the main story.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Have y'all been checking out Thieves Den? I decided not to do so until I get more of the characters, thinking a lot would be closed off anyways. How is it?

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have y'all been checking out Thieves Den? I decided not to do so until I get more of the characters, thinking a lot would be closed off anyways. How is it?

Was literally just about to post about it.

Customizable music!
Zoomable art!
Persona statues!
Run around as other characters!
Fun Tycoon card game!

I could sink a scary amount of time into this place.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Compendium costs aren't as bad as I remembered. I did burn through all of the money I made thus far in the 2nd palace trying to get that Ame-no-Uzume with Frei, though. At least I still have the loot left to sell...

But I leveled up a Succubus from level 7 to 13 and even with good skills she still only costs ¥4.200 to buy which ain't bad. The treasure persona is also surprisingly reasonably priced.

Pretty barren in the beginning, but there are a couple of nice props to place. The nice part is that your party members will come to visit and talk about the shit you've placed, which can make for some cute conversations. Of course, with just a few props and party members available when you unlock the place, there's not yet a lot to talk about.

There's also a place to listen to the game's music and a wall with art where you can look at concept art, and even the in-game photos that get taken over the course of the game.

You don't have unlimited access however, because every single thing needs to be bought with coins. At least nothing is overly expensive and you receive relatively many coins for clearing challenges. Plus you can earn them with the Tycoon game, which apparently is wildly addictive. Haven't played it yet myself, though.

Also you can use any of your party member's models to run around the place. Running around as Morgana is something everyone should experience.

Oct 27, 2017
Haha same here! Loved RE3 but bloody hell, it was so short. Beat it in 4 and half hours.

I'm pretty sure I hadn't even made it to the first palace in 4 and a half hours!

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't I just press a button to throw the darts instead of having to deal with stupid motion controls that don't even mimick the actual motion you're trying to simulate