• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Let's predict the metascore

• 95-99

Votes: 98 18.9%
  • 90-94

Votes: 214 41.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 152 29.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 38 7.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • <75

Votes: 13 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Persona-5-Royal.jpg

Metacritic (95) | OpenCritic (96)
GameGrin (10 / 10):
As stylish as ever and filled with tons of new content and improvements, Persona 5 Royal is the very best JRPG of this generation that deserves to steal all of our hearts.

Comicbook.com (10 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal truly captures all the promise of the original while adding so much more to the mix, and is easily one of the most rewarding, captivating, and enjoyable gaming experiences I've had in some time. Few games have ever hooked me as much as Persona 5 Royal

Cubed3 (10 / 10):
The original Persona 5 was already a joy to play; however, this version definitely steps up to the plate and knocks it out of the park. If Persona 5 was a perfectly executed and baked sponge cake, Persona 5 Royal is the same perfect sponge cake... but now filled with lashings of jam and cream. Everything that has been added has been amazingly well implemented. This is a wonderful title, regardless of whether or not it is compared to the original… which is still a delectable sponge cake! The story, characters, music, gameplay, and animation - everything comes together and creates an experience that is the personification of JRPG perfection. Incredibly unique and enjoyable!

GamingBolt (10 / 10):
Taking a great game and making it even better, Persona 5 Royal is near perfect, and the definitive way of playing one of the greatest games ever made.

Meristation (10 / 10):
Persona 5 revalidates its crown with the Royal edition. Almost 40 hours of new content, changes to the entire game, new plot, new semester and new characters. A true masterpiece.

GAMINGbible (10 / 10):
All of these changes make Persona 5 Royal the definitive version of this title, for newcomers and veterans alike. There are more characters, more things to do and more time in-game to do it all. P-Studio have managed to take a near-perfect game in Persona 5 and elevate it to another level. It gets in your head like never before thanks to its refined blend of dungeon-crawling RPG action and satisfying high school simulator mechanics. In a year where Final Fantasy VII Remake is set to take the world by storm, the Persona series has done what it always does and produced something even better.

PlayStation LifeStyle (10 / 10):
The number one reason I am most excited about playing Persona 5 Royal (and I'm betting this is the same for you, too) is to woo my new waifu, Kasumi. I hope this game steals your heart all over again, just like it has mine.

Gameblog.fr (10 / 10):
Whether you played Persona 5 or not, Persona 5 Royal is simply a must play for everyone. There is more content with updated gameplay mechanics that make the game even more enjoyable than before. The new confidants add a new layer to Joker, deepening our understanding of its psyche and our immersion in the process. Persona 5 Royal is just better than a Persona 5 overhaul.

RPG Site (10 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal isn't just my favorite Atlus re-release, it might just be my new favorite Atlus game of all time.

Noisy Pixel (10 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal is everything I could want out of a re-release. The game's style and charm shine brightest in this version as it made an already great game even better. The balances and new additions were based on long-time fan criticisms, and it's evident that the developers used it as a foundation to update this adventure while still throwing in some quality-of-life changes that I didn't know the game needed, but ended up loving anyway.

TheSixthAxis (10 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal is a stunning game that takes something which has already captured millions of hearts and makes it even better. This is the quintessential Persona experience. If you're new to the franchise, this game is for you. If you're a seasoned veteran, there is enough new and improved content that this game is still for you.

Vandal (10 / 10):
Royal is much more than we expected. It's an absolutely incredible game reaching perfection, improving on everything. On top of that, it comes localized, so the language barrier is not a barrier anymore.

God is a Geek (10 / 10):
For those that have already enjoyed the original game, this is a fan's dream, with everything you could wish for and more, with nearly every aspect improved upon. A spellbinding videogame, and one that deserves to be spoken about in reverential terms for many years to come.

Attack of the Fanboy (10 / 10):
By most accounts Persona 5 didn't do much wrong. While most games that achieve the critical success of P5 would rest at that job well done, Atlus has continued to further refine their masterpiece into something even better. Persona 5 Royal is proof that even the best games can be made better by acknowledging shortcomings and addressing them, however small they are.

Slant Magazine (10 / 10):
The game speaks in specific and effective ways to the sheer exhaustion of living in perpetual strife, even while delivering the catharsis of standing together against turmoil, even surviving it.

GamesFinest (10 / 10):
Persona 5' was rightly praised three years ago with loud hymns of praise. This royal update puts the crown on one of the best JRPGs of the last years. Atlus has consistently honed the few edges and quirks of their fantastic role-playing game and refreshed the gaming experience with countless, useful innovations and comfort decisions. The interesting new additions to the character set fit so homogeneously into the plot that I often caught myself thinking that they had always been part of the story. Moreover, the first-time implementation of German screen texts finally breaks the language barrier, which kept many players at a distance despite their interest. This now opens the door to a fantastic roleplaying game for new players and I can only emphasize: if you can do something with the staging, hit it. And if not, at least take a look at it, because all the praise for Atlus' wacky adventure about students stealing the hearts of depraved people in their spare time is more than justified.
 All Persona 5 veterans, however, must consider whether the new features are worth diving into the metaverse once again for countless hours. Anyway, I was amazed how quickly 'Royal' managed to tie me up and bring me back into the world of Persona 5. The many meaningful and affectionate innovations once again sparked my old passion for Atlus' sensational roleplaying game.

Everyeye.it (9.8 / 10):
If you are looking for a JRPG unique and phenomenal, which can make you reflect on delicate very current issues and even enrich your cultural background with countless notions on the always fascinating Japanese culture, Persona 5 Royal can only be the definitive answer to your needs, whether you are aware of it or not.

Hobby Consolas (9.7 / 10):
If Persona 5 was a diamond, the Royal version, with a gigantic amount of changes and improvements, is the treasure of the palace. The spanish localization is the gold that covers it all, and the final detail that makes it a truly invaluable gem for any thief, new or veteran.

Multiplayer.it (9.6 / 10):
The best version of a masterpiece is... a masterpiece once again. It is also a joy to play in 4K.

SpazioGames (9.6 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal is the best version of one of the best JRPGs of all time. And it adds subtitles support for many new languages. These should be reasons enough to go out and buy it ASAP.

IGN Italia (9.5 / 10):
Hugely enriching its original formula, Persona 5 Royal is a must-have JRPG, but also a great game for anyone wanting to discover a new genre.

BaziCenter (9.5 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal is a complete JRPG game, and almost every single element that you want in a JRPG is on offer here. The story is simple yet engaging, and the depth of characters is marvelous. Gameplay wise, the royal edition is even better than the original Persona 5, and if you enjoyed Persona 5, you'll have even more fun here.

PlayStation Universe (9.5 / 10):
Persona 5: Royal is the definitive Persona 5 experience. Atlus has refined the already excellent base game, trimming the rigid, sharp edges and creating a smoother experience filled with new and interesting activities, characters, story moments, and even an entirely new palace and optional ending to the game. Persona 5: Royal is one of the best JRPG's on PS4 for both new and returning players.

GamePro Germany (9.2 / 10):
Quotation forthcoming.

Twinfinite (9 / 10):
The additions introduced in Royal allow Persona 5 to become the excellent JRPG it was always truly meant to be, and it's a wonderful effort that will surely be appreciated by fans.

Hardcore Gamer (9 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal is a shining beam of light for the JRPG genre and one you won't want to put down despite its massive time commitment.

Press Start Australia (9 / 10):
The gist of it is though; this is more than just a few updates slapped on top of an existing game, it's a complete rethinking of the major and minor components that made the original what it was. For Persona 5 megafans who are ready to play through the game again, Royal is a very compelling package that more than justifies the double dip, and for curious newcomers it's an absolute no-brainer.

Stevivor (9 / 10):
I'm not sure I'd recommend Royal to those who've just finished Persona 5. Even with homophobic scenes cut here in the west, and gun ammo refilling after single battles, it's ultimately still the same (long!) game with a little more to do. Though if you're a fan of JRPGs and didn't get into Persona 5 yet, than Royal is a no-brainer.

DualShockers (9/10):
If you never got around to playing vanilla Persona 5, then Persona 5 Royal is now the perfect starting point. Filled with a plethora of new story and gameplay content to go along with all of the DLC from the original, this is without a doubt the definitive edition.

Eurogamer Italy (9 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal improves the original, phenomenal Atlus JRPG in every possible way. Perfection now is just one step away.

CGMagazine (9 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal takes an already stellar game and reinvigorates it with content that is sure to please both fans of the original and those playing the game for the first time.

Digitally Downloaded (9 / 10):
Persona 5 is a really great game, so when I say that it pales in comparison to its predecessor, it is important to remember that I'm saying that it's only mildly inferior to one of the greatest games of all time. Persona 5's bloat and thematic step backwards are issues, but the raw gameplay is so enjoyable, and the characters so vibrant and well-written, that I haven't minded having the excuse to play through the bloat again. Not by any means.

We Got This Covered (9.0 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal offers so many changes to the core game that it feels fresh, all while keeping its original charm and style. With a brand new story arc and characters, as well as combat mechanics and updates to the social aspects, it's without a doubt the definitive way to play Persona 5.

IGN Japan (8.9 / 10):
While some of its new story feels unnecessary, and players who have already beaten the original will have to go through the dungeons all over again to access the new content, this is still one of the best RPGs of the current generation.

Famitsu (37 / 40)

new-spider-man-game-only-on-ps4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thiago

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Apophis

Nov 6, 2017
Germany
Why do people think that the game rates lower than the original? New content plus some of the annoying things have been removed.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Why do people think that the game rates lower than the original? New content plus some of the annoying things have been removed.

Some of the games flaws might be criticized more on a second playthrough for reviewers, along with the new content not blowing people away. Some reviewers may also ding it for being full priced while offering new content that easily could have just been a dlc expansion for the original game.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Yes, this is why I linked to OpenCritic, they took the review down but it's still listed in OC. I'll edit when the embargo ends.

In 2 hours.
Persona 5 has 94 on opencritic, I will guess this will have a 90.

In 3 hours.
Oh its soon then. Nice.

Expecting worse reviews than original P5, if the post release discourse around P5 among gaming communities is anything to go by. I do also think they'll get called out for their DLC BS too. I do think overall the game will be the best way to play P5 now though.

OP
OP
Thiago

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really expect some "it could have been a DLC" feelings from reviewers. Even Pokémon moved to DLC.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Most of the new content is a new school semester which starts when the original game ended.
Basically, you need to play 80-90 hours before getting into the new content that isn't QOL features or new combat system minor changes.
The changes and improvements are spread throughout like P4G, you'll notice them in the first few minutes of playing. It's not accurate to say "most" of the new content is at the end.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the new content is a new school semester which starts when the original game ended.
Basically, you need to play 80-90 hours before getting into the new content that isn't QOL features or new combat system minor changes.

that's a bummer. I thought they would have rescheduled the entire year to insert the new content in

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
The changes and improvements are spread throughout like P4G, you'll notice them in the first few minutes of playing. It's not accurate to say "most" of the new content is at the end.
That's new to me, in the import thread people complained about it actually not being like P4G, that there was almost no new events during the original part of the game, and that most of it was at the end.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'm not sure it'll hit as high as the original, assuming those reviewing this played the original too.
I think on a second playthrough the cracks are sure to show...

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
90-93
Less than Persona 5 for sure. Most reviewers will do the same old same old comment with it being too long. Could be true, I haven't played it either.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's new to me, in the import thread people complained about it actually not being like P4G, that there was almost no new events during the original part of the game, and that most of it was at the end.

Not saying one way or another, but I was under the impression that most impressions in that thread came from people watching one streamer absolutely blitz through to the third semester, so it's possible things were missed.

The meaty part is still the end of course.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying one way or another, but I was under the impression that most impressions in that thread came from people watching one streamer absolutely blitz through to the third semester, so it's possible things were missed.

The meaty part is still the end of course.
There were people in the thread who had the game.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Re-relaeses usually score lower than the original. I'm going with 85-89.

edit:nvm

Last edited:

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
The first 50-60 hours of the original were great, then the pacing completely killed it. It kept going and going and going and going and going and going, they really needed to trim the game down back then.

So the fact that most of the new content comes in at the end is insane.
If I have a completed save file, can I continue from there or do I have to replay the entire game again.

Also just to be clear, this is not DLC, correct? Strange decision.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this will score well but I don't think I can commit myself to another 80+ hours of this game. Persona 5 has amazing style, gameplay, music, etc., but the bloat and story brought down the game for me to an 8/10.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first 50-60 hours of the original were great, then the pacing completely killed it. It kept going and going and going and going and going and going, they really needed to trim the game down back then.

So the fact that most of the new content comes in at the end is insane.
If I have a completed save file, can I continue from there or do I have to replay the entire game again.

Also just to be clear, this is not DLC, correct? Strange decision.
No. Without getting into to heavy spoilers getting to the biggest new content requires you do certain things they added into the base story.

No it is not DLC.

TehOh

Oct 25, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm confused by the DLC comments. There are substantial changes throughout the entire game. The biggest block of new content is at the end, but there are DEFINITE changes throughout:
- New scenes
- New confidants
- Revisions of existing scenes and extensions of the dungeons
- Changes to Mementos
- Gameplay changes

None of that would really work as DLC.

There have also been some changes to the localization, including to *that* scene with Ryuji.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like all scores should have an asterisk besides them. P5 vanilla sits with like a 94 on metacritic, but this version will totally get lower than than that. So going just by scores people who never played P5 before should buy the version without the extras? Just more proof that binary scores are useless.

Oct 29, 2017

Because same-platform re-releases are usually reviewed on the basis of what they add new from their original version; rather than the quality of the base game itself (which makes sense - the original game is already out, a product review is there to tell you if it's worth getting over the original version or if if it's worth buying if you already own the original version; which is substantially cheaper now).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused by the DLC comments. There are substantial changes throughout the entire game. The biggest block of new content is at the end, but there are DEFINITE changes throughout:
- New scenes
- New confidants
- Revisions of existing scenes and extensions of the dungeons
- Changes to Mementos
- Gameplay changes

None of that would really work as DLC.

There have also been some changes to the localization, including to *that* scene with Ryuji.

I don't see what wouldn't work? Even if they wanted the two experiences to be entirely separate, all you need is a menu option when you make a new file.

New game
New game (royal)

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know in Pokémon at least expanded releases always score lower.
Feels like all scores should have an asterisk besides them. P5 vanilla sits with like a 94 on metacritic, but this version will totally get lower than than that. So going just by scores people who never played P5 before should buy the version without the extras? Just more proof that binary scores are useless.
Do you know what binary means? A binary score has only two states such as reccomended vs not reccomended.

I don't see what wouldn't work? Even if they wanted the two experiences to be entirely separate, all you need is a menu option when you make a new file.

New game
New game (royal)

Yep. I've always argued for this for Pokémon. Thankfully they at least seem to have ditched expanded versions for DLC expansions even if not in the new game+ format.