• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Let's predict the metascore

• 95-99

Votes: 98 18.9%
  • 90-94

Votes: 214 41.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 152 29.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 38 7.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • <75

Votes: 13 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Why would someone who hated Persona 5 ask to review Persona 5 Royal? That's a huge time commitment. And big sites will just give the review code to someone who is interested in it.
I didn't say hate. I'd just be more interested in someone who is going to look at this product from a more critical angle, since I don't believe that getting fans to re-review one of their favorite game is very interesting or fair.

Frankly, I just really don't think that Persona 5 was a particularly good implementation of any of its narrative or gameplay ideas and as such I'm bummed that this is still getting such good scores, since I'd rather see them overthinking everything they did with this game.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing I waited for this version, excited to finally play it.

Probably won't pick it up now, but eventually.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say hate. I'd just be more interested in someone who is going to look at this product from a more critical angle, since I don't believe that getting fans to re-review one of their favorite game is very interesting or fair.

Frankly, I just really don't think that Persona 5 was a particularly good implementation of any of its narrative or gameplay ideas and as such I'm bummed that this is still getting such good scores, since I'd rather see them overthinking everything they did with this game.
So the people who do think those things were implemented well's opinions aren't valid or something?

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Good to read but I decided I will wait for a price drop and I see this being half off in two months or less.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at those scores. I can't justify re-buying it and spending another 100 hours on it, but I love seeing this reception.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't personally see how anyone who praises Xenoblade 2 can complain about the writing and characters in another jrpg but that's just me

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
So the people who do think those things were implemented well's opinions aren't valid or something?
As long as they support those opinions through arguments then sure. I've very rarely heard sound arguments for this game though.

I never expected a teen JRPG to provide a deep look at the underlying issues, insecurities and inequalities of Japanese society.
This game was written by adults for a mostly adult audience though, and it is quite clearly trying to tackle social issues. That's the basis on which it should be critiqued.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as they support those opinions through arguments then sure. I've very rarely heard sound arguments for this game though.
What arguments do you want besides "I like the game" exactly? Please tell me what I need to do so I'm allowed to like a game you don't since you seem convinced you're somehow the deciding factor of that.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
I only played P5 when I imported it. Bought the US CE, but barely touched it. Can't wait to play P5R when I return home later this year haha
I wonder how much Smash Bros popularising Joker contributed to this 🤔
Oh jeez I forgot how much of a failure P5 was. I think it only sold 5 copies on that Niche Failstation 4. Every character ever should be on Smash or else they're loser failures.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Wow fairly surprised. Can this beat P4G as my fav Jrpg of all time? Hope to get my copy soon.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Played the original, loved it then. Was going to eventually get P5R on sale, but these reviews...

Jesus christ this year is insane.

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
One of the best RPG's ive ever played but i dont think i have it in me for another 100+ hour playthrough even if the changes and new content seems amazing.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
96?!

giphy.gif

i was expecting 91 or 92

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017

This game was written by adults for a mostly adult audience though, and it is quite clearly trying to tackle social issues. That's the basis on which it should be critiqued.

Not saying that the critique isn't valid. Just pointing out that the game can be enjoyed purely for its entertainment value and you shouldn't feel bad if you liked the story despite its proposed thematic shallowness.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The reviews are great, but I just can't get excited for this game as I am in no way capable of playing it right now and in the foreseeable future.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
What arguments do you want besides "I like the game" exactly? Please tell me what I need to do so I'm allowed to like a game you don't since you seem convinced you're somehow the deciding factor of that.
Hey, you can like the game. I played through all of it, so a part of me must have kinda enjoyed. I just wish the people who wrote it actually knew about what they were writing.
Not saying that the critique isn't valid. Just pointing out that the game can be enjoyed purely for its entertainment value and you shouldn't feel bad if you liked the story despite its proposed thematic shallowness.
Sure, that's true. Although I don't really know how you'd ignore the topics the game brings up, considering how much of the playtime they make up.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Huh? The JRPG genre is written pretty much entirely for teenagers and P5 is no exception to that.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much Smash Bros popularising Joker contributed to this 🤔
I still can't believe Joker from smash bros got his own game.

Jokes aside
My review will be up in a few hours. Some reason it deleted instead going live so im redoing it now (which is good because I wanted to improve a few things in it.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
I have remained pretty oblivious to the build up to launch for this, but 96 currently... oh my days

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Ok I wasn't expecting that lol

I LOVED Persona 5, but still gonna wait a big sale.

2020 will really be one of the best years in gaming.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dropped the first game after 80 hours because I was kinda tired

Is there any good reason to play this game?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
A 96 ON METACRITIC?!
I knew I was getting this and absolutely LOVED P5, but holy cow. Is this the best reviewed game on MC since Mario Odyssey?