• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
To the people wondering why they're taking so long for what amounts to an expansion pack worth of new stuff, I'm hoping that they're also doing another revision on the main game text since the original localization wasn't up to Atlus' usual high standards.
This would be the only way I'd purchase Royal before it hits the $20 mark. A lot of characters were done a disservice by the frequently janky as fuck dialogue.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Most enjoy the new content in Catherine: Full Body. It integrates well into the main story that was there before.
I haven't played the Full Body (and probably won't considering them doubling down on their shitty views on LGBTQ+ community), but Catherine had such a tight story that it's hard to imagine how they could add a third love interest without hurting the overall balance and theme of the game.

But like I said, I haven't played it so if they truly have managed to do that, then that's impressive.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the Full Body (and probably won't considering them doubling down on their shitty views on LGBTQ+ community), but Catherine had such a tight story that it's hard to imagine how they could add a third love interest without hurting the overall balance and theme of the game.

But like I said, I haven't played it so if they truly have managed to do that, then that's impressive.
It worked. Rin doesn't really act the same as Katherine/Catherine in terms of a love interest, and they managed to implement Rin into the story like Rin had been there since the beginning with whole new dialogue and scenes. It feels less shoehorned than other Atlus remasters with a new female character.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It worked. Rin doesn't really act the same as Katherine/Catherine in terms of a love interest, and they managed to implement Rin into the story like Rin had been there since the beginning with whole new dialogue and scenes. It feels less shoehorned than other Atlus remasters with a new female character.
Interesting.

If you had to pick one game tho as the canon story of Catherine, would you persoanlly pick Full Body over vanilla?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting.

If you had to pick one game tho as the canon story of Catherine, would you persoanlly pick Full Body over vanilla?
Sure. Full Body makes Katherine more sympathetic instead of this constantly nagging woman that makes the player wonder why Vincent is even with her. New endings show off that not everything revolves around Vincent and that the other characters have their own agency to do what they want in their lives. And, again, Rin's implementation makes it feel like she had been there from the start, so outside of 1 ending which feels extremely silly even within the world of Catherine, it all works.

It feels better than what they did with Marie in P4G.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Most enjoy the new content in Catherine: Full Body. It integrates well into the main story that was there before.
No, it spoils its true nature from the outset and otherwise it's tonally confused alongside the core story. The new cutscenes are all done in a new format of motion capture that sticks out too obviously and the new cartoon cutscenes look bulky and awkward compared to the original anime art. A lot of it is also pointless, spoiling the focus and artistry of the original game which kept things streamlined.

Rather than a third aspect to the story it feels like a disjointed bonus that tags along the original content awkwardly. It sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I'm never replaying Full Body. I'm going back to the original.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No, it spoils its true nature from the outset and otherwise it's tonally confused alongside the core story. The new cutscenes are all done in a new format of motion capture that sticks out too obviously and the new cartoon cutscenes look bulky and awkward compared to the original anime art. A lot of it is also pointless, spoiling the focus and artistry of the original game which kept things streamlined.
I can understand all of those complaints, but it's also true that most thought it enhanced the experience of the original. This is from what I've read in reviews, and from what others who've played it have said.

I like the original dichotomy of Catherine/Katherine. At first, introducing a third route with another "Catherine" seemed kind of nonsensical. But I think they implemented it in a way that does not clash with what was there before, and that feels fitting as another way for Vincent to explore and direct his feelings. Catherine was ultimately about Vincent realizing and choosing his own path in life, and Rin is a great character that presents a new route.

It's true that the new cutscenes are definitely directed in a way that the old ones weren't, and it's apparent. That wasn't a big negative, in my eyes.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I can understand all of those complaints, but it's also true that most thought it enhanced the experience of the original. This is from what I've read in reviews, and from what others who've played it have said.
Take it from someone who read that constantly, bought it and played it the same as them. I don't think they're completely right but I suppose it's a matter of how much the disjointedness bothers you.

Most critics noted it as a flaw how whiplashedly Qatherine is put into the game as well. They just didn't condemn the game about it, but I do because I think the original game had a beautiful throughline and a good pacing, and as a remaster the additional content only makes it worse imo.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This compete discounts Royal's quality of life improvements, the changes in the base game, and the fact that the new story stuff is really good.
I've seen all that stuff and it really could have just been a couple of free updates and a meaty $25 DLC ala Xenoblade 2. Its really hard to recommend the $50 upcharge when the base game is already perfectly fine.

Also it completely ruins the original ending for hamfisted sequel bait.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the new content in Catherine might not be as well implemented as I thought so then. Probably another reason to not care about Full Body.

Btw, this is pretty funny looking at this thread.
EKKMA_rW4AA0D3X

Oct 25, 2017
Daily remind that that tomorrow is the 25th anniversary of PlayStation so it can't be coincidence that P5R is announced the same day for tomorrow too.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, they've really been making countdown pictures for a release date announcement.
I'll laugh if the date really is Feb 20th. That's less than two weeks out from FFVIIr. I'm interested in Royal, but I've already played P5. I haven't played VIIr. I know which one of the two I'll be getting first.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Probably means that there will be ads popping up on billboards, bus/train (stations), taxi's, etc.

There's a rumor they're going to be taking over multiple screens across the US, like the phantom thieves do in the game, including a takeover of Times Square to premiere the trailer/date.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To the people wondering why they're taking so long for what amounts to an expansion pack worth of new stuff, I'm hoping that they're also doing another revision on the main game text since the original localization wasn't up to Atlus' usual high standards.

While the game desperately needs a new translation, don't get your hopes up. This is Atlus we are taking about.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Seems like Februar 20th it is then.

Atlus is hiding replies mentioning that date in their latest tweet.

But I'd recommend not looking it up yourself, because among the hidden replies are what apparently are spoilers about stuff new to the Royal version.

I should have done the same 🙄

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for a solid Atlus collector's edition to go next to my original P5 Take Your Heart edition. Still haven't beaten the original (I have trouble paying attention to any one game for 100 hours, but I pretty much stopped my playthrough once I heard this was coming).

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm still not sure I'll be buying this. P4Golden was one thing - on a whole other platform. But this - I played Persona 4 twice, got the Platinum and well will I play it a third time? Not like I will be lacking in games in March 2020. Full Price too...hmmmm.