• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you be buying this?

• Yes!

Votes: 873 31.7%
  • NO

Votes: 1,528 55.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 355 12.9%

• Total voters

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, I don't see this game doing well on Switch at all, especially in Japan. Atlus whole strategy for these spin offs seems to be to milk the existing core audience with overpriced deluxe editions and DLCs up the wazoo, it might work for the PS4 owners but no way it works for Switch owners who are basically a new audience that has very minimal attachement to the world and the characters of P5. Selling the spin off before the main game seems just really backward.

There was a very clear and logical path of action to take and Atlus seems to dance around it.
This game probably won't do much on either platform. The musou genre has lost a lot of steam even with more popular properties.

BlueBlaze

Oct 29, 2017
This actually sounds pretty cool. It may be a bit early for this, but I would love to see this come out on PC as well.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Because most of us want the real thing on Switch (i.e., Persona 5/Persona 5: The Royal).

I am afraid you will have to buy a PS4(or PS5 by the time Royal releases, hopefully its native 4K).

These Japanese companies do these frustrating things a lot. I dont blame people for being angry. Things like DQ11S(how do you make changes to a game on the same engine and cant update the game like any other game?? )and SMT5 get me rightly pissed off when most western studios have basically made multiplatform development the main priority

Oct 27, 2017
Well then it begs the question as to why they even bothered to bring this over to the Switch, considering it relies on there being an audience for the game on the system. There isn't gonna be much without the game the spin off is based on. I don't think it's unfair to criticize that

I see that the fires of console wars rage forever within you
For what it's worth, Joker and the P5 in Smash is gonna drive up interest. There were so many people rushing to get that dlc that the eshop crashed for hours. Also I remember when Bayonetta got announced for Smash 4, the remaining stock of Bayonetta 2 copies dried up online, Niontendo actually reprinted the game later at a budget price. I know this is a spinoff, but it still has Persona 5 in the name.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I am afraid you will have to buy a PS4(or PS5 by the time Royal releases, hopefully its native 4K).

These Japanese companies do these frustrating things a lot. I dont blame people for being angry. Things like DQ11S and SMT5 get me rightly pissed off most western studios have basically made multiplatform development the main priority

Still, no one should be forced to buy a PS4 just for that, especially when the Switch is far more popular in Japan than the PS4 is. It should also come to PC at the very least.

I have the PS4 Pro, but still, it's unfair. And I buy most 3rd party games on Switch now, save for genres like open world games & fighters.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Still, no one should be forced to buy a PS4 just for that, especially when the Switch is far more popular in Japan than the PS4 is.

I have the PS4 Pro, but still, it's unfair. And I buy most 3rd party games on Switch now, save for genres like open world games & fighters.

I only have a ps4, so being barred from SMT when i'm not in a position to buy a Switch is also annoying. Trust, me, its no fun for anybody.

These games sell far more in the west these days. So its not as if they are specifically aiming at japanese penetration.

Oct 27, 2017

These Japanese companies do these frustrating things a lot. I dont blame people for being angry. Things like DQ11S(how do you make changes to a game on the same engine and cant update the game like any other game?? )and SMT5 get me rightly pissed off when most western studios have basically made multiplatform development the main priority
The original game is available on PS3. Also there's a pretty good PS3 emulator for PC these days. You don't need a PS4 for Persona 5.
You can just Youtube the Royal extra content. The original version was bloated enough as is.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The original game is available on PS3. Also there's a pretty good PS3 emulator for PC these days. You don't need a PS4 for Persona 5.
You can just Youtube the Royal extra content. The original version was bloated enough as is.

Well i guess that goes for switch owners as well...but i liked P5 a lot and am excited to play P5R...those who cant buy the game can just youtube it i suppose

Oct 25, 2017
Which ones? I only know of Call of Duty Reflex which was during CoD's height of popularity and by a huge company with money like Activision.

SFV is Sony console exclusive as far as I can tell. It's not even on Xbox One.

Wii U had terrible third party support and sold only a few more million than the Dreamcast. No one expected FF7 to hit Wii U especially when it didn't even hit Xbox.

I'll agree to disagree to an extent. The assumption is completely valid and understandable. To outright 100% expect it is wishful thinking, but I don't blame people for thinking modern Persona character getting in Smash with Switch's success his game might be coming to the system.

Call of Duty was primarily what I was thinking of, but other devs have tried putting their IPs on Wii. Dead Space Extraction is an example of EA trying to put their franchises onto Wii.

I think people who thought P5 was coming to Smash because the switch was successful don't have much of a leg to stand on. IMO its the same situation as cloud. P5 characters are in PQ2. And Cloud was only in theaterythm.

It was wishful thinking, and if people are upset fine. But acting like Smash "baited them" is ridiculous considering there are guest characters who got in based on very little.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Another Musou game is certainly...a strange choice. A bit off-topic, but by the time Royal appears on Japanese shelves, the Switch will likely have surpassed PS4 in lifetime sales in Japan, and while P4G had the benefit of launching on a new system and format entirely (Vita/Portable), P5R is launching on one of the same platforms the original SKU launched on, the platform that the majority of players played it on, and no other. Not sure what the market is for that release at all. The outlook isn't as bad for a largely out-of-context Musou game, but Atlus looks really (S)illy right now.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Atlus just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Nintendo portbegging (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is PS4 where you can become successful by not porting your games on Switch. If you screw someone over on Nintendo platform, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that Nintendo fans, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Persona 5 Scramble for either system, nor will they purchase any of Atlus games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Atlus has alienated an entire market with this move.

Atlus, publicly apologize and port P5R to Switch or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I can't wait for this to come out and be #1 on the eShop so it goes completely against this absolutely ridiculous take.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Don't know what you guys are complaining about because I sure as hell always wanted a Persona musou and this looks great.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theory: if they're referring it as an Action-RPG, could it be that P5S is what was supposed to be P5AG.jp and they just decided to change name in-between ?

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Another Musou game is certainly...a strange choice. A bit off-topic, but by the time Royal appears on Japanese shelves, the Switch will likely have surpassed PS4 in lifetime sales in Japan, and while P4G had the benefit of launching on a new system and format entirely (Vita/Portable), P5R is launching on one of the same platforms the original SKU launched on, the platform that the majority of players played it on, and no other. Not sure what the market is for that release at all. The outlook isn't as bad for a largely out-of-context Musou game, but Atlus looks really (S)illy right now.

The original SKU for the game was the ps3 not the ps4 also this is a ps4 pro persona golden style update.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
latest

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a while since I played a musou game but there was a time when I really liked them. A Persona musou seems like a good way to get back in.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
This seems like a mismatch. The fantasy of being a stylish rogue like the Phantom Thieves is to get the drop on some poor SOB and ace them before they even know what hit them. So much so that it's literally what the lyrics of the main battle theme are about! Not wading into a crowd of dudes, swinging your weapon wildly.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I hope this is out by the fall! I'll be in Japan then and it seems like it'd be a fun game to pick up for my Switch. I like musuo and I already have P5 on Switch so while it would have been nice for it to be portable it saves me replaying the game.

Oct 26, 2017
For what it's worth, Joker and the P5 in Smash is gonna drive up interest. There were so many people rushing to get that dlc that the eshop crashed for hours. Also I remember when Bayonetta got announced for Smash 4, the remaining stock of Bayonetta 2 copies dried up online, Niontendo actually reprinted the game later at a budget price. I know this is a spinoff, but it still has Persona 5 in the name.
That could certainly help, for sure. I won't deny that. I just don't think Joker being in Smash alone will do much to drive interest for the spin-off on the Switch. Nintendo's eShop seems to crash from a higher than expected number of folk trying to access it more than the other ones so I don't know if I'd go off of that. That being said, I do hope the game does well and it has a more than fair shot of it. If it does well, hey, maybe that could send a message to ATLUS :P

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Maybe Nintendo should make their own turn-based RPG that's similar to Persona in general instead of depending on 3rd parties to do it for them.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I might pick it up. Never played a musou though.

I've been thinking of picking up Hyrule Warriors as my first (since I love the Zelda series), anyone here recommend it to a newbie?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Haven't been following the Star Fox rumor but from what I have seen Jason is always correct also by doing a quick check In this thread he dismissed the game being true, it's right in the OP.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/theory-starfox-grand-prix-never-existed.99662/
WRONG!

It's easy to say the rumor was false in February 2019. What what about in May 2018?

https://kotaku.com/rumors-suggest-that-retro-studios-is-making-a-star-fox-1826020570

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
That game was pretty good! Too bad it wasn't more successful.
It was only a bomb because it was on the Wii U. I'm sure it would do decently well if Atlus just ported the game to the Swi-

Wait wait wait, let me stop right now. If I say anymore, we'll get an #FE Kart Racer for Switch announced tomorrow.

Inb4 "Holy shit that's exactly what I've wanted from the franchise!"

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019