• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you be buying this?

• Yes!

Votes: 873 31.7%
  • NO

Votes: 1,528 55.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 355 12.9%

• Total voters

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Atlus isn't buying ad space. Joker's inclusion wasn't a ploy by Atlus or Nintendo to make Persona more popular. They put a popular character into Smash cause he was popular.
Yet far less popular and well known than any other 3rd party char. He's the first char that, at the time of inclusion, A) only had one game, that B) didn't appear on a Nintendo system, and C) is current-gen and thus currently weakens Nintendo's relative line-up of games.

But sure, maybe they just wanted to do a game char that is popular and fresh at the time.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Ouch, that definitely sting and I understand why people are disappointed.

But man, I love me some Musou games so i'm all over that one, day one.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing other members and previous infractions for trolling
Knowing how badly people have wanted, begged for, and gotten upset that Persona 5 hasn't been announced for the Switch yet I can't help but laugh at this announcement.
Schadenfreude is always fun. Watching entitled people fall on their face is generally a joy to watch.

Oct 25, 2017

Persona-5-Sneakers-7.jpg

https://www.super-groupies.com/product/2153

Oct 25, 2017
You don't think this makes the character/series more popular?

Being in a series known to sell tens of millions and help popularize some series?

What do those have to do with the two series the poster and Nintendo said benefitted greatly from being in Smash?

Exactly what I am saying. Some of you are acting like "because the character was in Smash, their game must come to the nintendo console because Smash made them more popular than they already were"

When Brawl came out in 2008, did you see a port for MGS4 on the Wii?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so shocked that people got themselves all hyped over a baseless rumor and are now unhappy because the thing they had in mind isn't real. This definitely doesn't happen every other month.

Anyway, it looks okay. I'd have been more interested if it was P4/P3 themed.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
So, how long before you guys get over it?
Chill out and accept it.

Joker was chosen by Nintendo for Smash DLC cause
1. They knew Sakurai adored Persona 5 and the character
2. They felt like he would sell a shitload and he did

1 is a straight up known fact that Sakurai hasn't tried to hide in any way. 2 is my speculation but given the eShop crashing the minute he was released and Joker's being everywhere online, I'd say it's a safe assumption.

I'm interested in the Musou but i still haven't played Persona 5.
Glad I held out cause even though I didn't get a handheld version I wanted I get to play the complete version in Royal next year.

The being said, I want P4 content.
Who do we expect the bosses to be? Just the bosses from Persona 5?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I think the mostly legitimate reason this is disappointing is that Persona 5 was developed for PS3 and mostly uses that level of assets. There really isn't any good reason they couldn't release it on the Switch.

I'm starting to suspect there's Sony money in keeping the main series on their consoles, though. I don't think that's a stretch.

Like SMT on Nintendo, sure.

The issue this is irritating is because people keep bringing up PS3 as if Atlus's needs a technical reason to not put a game on Switch when the most likely one is that its just Atlus and they chose the platform they want to put them game on at their own whims.

Iryx

Oct 25, 2017
Probably going to skip it, I remember buying Hyrule Warriors and trying really hard to like the game, but it never clicked for me.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Exactly what I am saying. Some of you are acting like "because the character was in Smash, their game must come to the nintendo console because Smash made them more popular than they already were"

When Brawl came out in 2008, did you see a port for MGS4 on the Wii?
Wii had weak graphics so it was understandable. Persona 5 is on PS3. Switch > PS3. Also, third party was pretty bad back then for Nintendo platforms and has been improving dramatically on Switch. Although funnily enough, 3DS ended up getting that Snake Eater which is what that Snake is based on.

I don't think it's unreasonable to see Joker in Smash and think Persona 5 is coming.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Wii had weak graphics so it was understandable. Persona 5 is on PS3. Switch > PS3. Also, third party was pretty bad back then for Nintendo platforms and has been improving dramatically on Switch.

I don't think it's unreasonable to see Joker in Smash and think Persona 5 is coming.

Except it was an Atlus game, and Persona mainline has never been on Nintendo

Just by those two criteria alone people should have known better

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlus just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Nintendo portbegging (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is PS4 where you can become successful by not porting your games on Switch. If you screw someone over on Nintendo platform, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that Nintendo fans, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Persona 5 Scramble for either system, nor will they purchase any of Atlus games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Atlus has alienated an entire market with this move.

Atlus, publicly apologize and port P5R to Switch or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I'm in tears, thanks for the comedy

Oct 25, 2017
So, how long before you guys get over it?
Chill out and accept it.

Joker was chosen by Nintendo for Smash DLC cause
1. They knew Sakurai adored Persona 5 and the character
2. They felt like he would sell a shitload and he did

1 is a straight up known fact that Sakurai hasn't tried to hide in any way. 2 is my speculation but given the eShop crashing the minute he was released and Joker's being everywhere online, I'd say it's a safe assumption.

I'm interested in the Musou but i still haven't played Persona 5.
Glad I held out cause even though I didn't get a handheld version I wanted I get to play the complete version in Royal next year.

The being said, I want P4 content.
Who do we expect the bosses to be? Just the bosses from Persona 5?

I've never played a Musou before, but if its just P5 then the player character total might be pretty low for musou standards. Like 8 characters unless they add characters who don't have Persona's, make Persona integration important to the gameplay since Joker can use more than one, or they make OCs.

Oct 25, 2017

The issue this is irritating is because people keep bringing up PS3 as if Atlus's needs a technical reason to not put a game on Switch when the most likely one is that its just Atlus and they chose the platform they want to put them game on at their own whims.
Like I said no Nintendo fan cares if SMT became multiplat.

Oct 26, 2017

Well then it begs the question as to why they even bothered to bring this over to the Switch, considering it relies on there being an audience for the game on the system. There isn't gonna be much without the game the spin off is based on. I don't think it's unfair to criticize that

Schadenfreude is always fun. Watching entitled people fall on their face is generally a joy to watch.
I see that the fires of console wars rage forever within you

Oct 25, 2017
Wii had weak graphics so it was understandable. Persona 5 is on PS3. Switch > PS3. Also, third party was pretty bad back then for Nintendo platforms and has been improving dramatically on Switch. Although funnily enough, 3DS ended up getting that Snake Eater which is what that Snake is based on.

Didn't stop publishers back then from making ports for 360/PS3 game designed specifically for Wii/PS2.

Ryu got announced in Smash... did SFV come to WiiU/Switch? (No, they just ported SF2 again)

FF7 got announced, and Switch got the PS4/PC port announced for it like 2-3 years later.

So no. Acting this way because "Joker is in Smash, you can't blame me for being upset P5 isn't coming because they teased us in Smash" is a headcanon people made up themselves

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Nintendo portbegging (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is PS4 where you can become successful by not porting your games on Switch. If you screw someone over on Nintendo platform, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that Nintendo fans, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Persona 5 Scramble for either system, nor will they purchase any of Atlus games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Atlus has alienated an entire market with this move.

Atlus, publicly apologize and port P5R to Switch or you can kiss your business goodbye.
I'm surprised it took this long for one of these. Thank you.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thank you for this, this thread is super similar to that one and we needed that. LOL.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Well then it begs the question as to why they even bothered to bring this over to the Switch, considering it relies on there being an audience for the game on the system. There isn't gonna be much without the game the spin off is based on. I don't think it's unfair to criticize that

Because they werent the ones who developed it, it was Koei Tecmo(Omega force). Its the same situation as Persona 4 Arena on Xbox, which Arc System works had control over not Atlus. Its basically Atlus giving another pub the license for their games for cross promotion.

Apr 9, 2019
CLT

Sure, although SMT has been on PlayStation before. Nocturne, for instance, was the third in the main series.

I mean, and to be fair, there are other technical reasons they may not be able to bring it over. Playstation 3's hardware architecture makes porting difficult. I guess from a marketing perspective, especially given that Japan is their primary demographic, there simply seems to be no other explanation. Sony keeps a tight leash on certain properties. Kojima was only allowed to port last-gen or earlier MGS games to Nintendo consoles, for instance. It doesn't necessarily have to be a devious insinuation, it's just the way they manage their properties.

Oct 26, 2017
Because they werent the ones who developed it, it was Koei Tecmo(Omega force). Its the same situation as Persona 4 Arena on Xbox, which Arc System works had control over not Atlus. Its basically Atlus giving another pub the license for their games for cross promotion.
But they're still the main publishers, funding the games, and calling a lot of the shots. Unless the developers themselves hold a lot of sway, it is a bit odd

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Always thought Persona 5 Switch was an outside possibility despite making a lot of sense (because Atlus) but still this is disappointing.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
The thing is, I don't see this game doing well on Switch at all, especially in Japan. Atlus whole strategy for these spin offs seems to be to milk the existing core audience with overpriced deluxe editions and DLCs up the wazoo, it might work for the PS4 owners but no way it works for Switch owners who are basically a new audience that has very minimal attachement to the world and the characters of P5. Selling the spin off before the main game seems just really backward.

There was a very clear and logical path of action to take and Atlus seems to dance around it.

Yeah, some people claiming that Musou is too popular in Japan haven't paid attention to Media Create/Famitsu sales lately. Sales from new crossovers, new Dinasty Warriors and sequels from previous crossovers have been declining sharply.

I think that people were putting hope on the unwritten "rule" that "an updated Persona must have a portable version" over the "Mainline Persona must be only on Sony systems". In the end the later rule prevailed which is why there is dissapointment from this perspective.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I think that people were putting hope on the unwritten "rule" that "an updated Persona must have a portable version" over the "Mainline Persona must be only on Sony systems". In the end the later rule prevailed which is why there is dissapointment from this perspective.

I mean, all the mainlines have been on Playstation, only 3 and 4 have gotten an updated handheld version, and FES was originally PS2 anyways. So technically it dont hold

*EDIT*

Disregard this, forgot about the PSP ports of P1 and P2 lol...

but even then they were Playstation, so...

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't stop publishers back then from making ports for 360/PS3 game designed specifically for Wii/PS2.

Ryu got announced in Smash... did SFV come to WiiU/Switch? (No, they just ported SF2 again)

FF7 got announced, and Switch got the PS4/PC port announced for it like 2-3 years later.

So no. Acting this way because "Joker is in Smash, you can't blame me for being upset P5 isn't coming because they teased us in Smash" is a headcanon people made up themselves
Which ones? I only know of Call of Duty Reflex which was during CoD's height of popularity and by a huge company with money like Activision.

SFV is Sony console exclusive as far as I can tell. It's not even on Xbox One.

Wii U had terrible third party support and sold only a few more million than the Dreamcast. No one expected FF7 to hit Wii U especially when it didn't even hit Xbox.

I'll agree to disagree to an extent. The assumption is completely valid and understandable. To outright 100% expect it is wishful thinking, but I don't blame people for thinking modern Persona character getting in Smash with Switch's success his game might be coming to the system.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I'm in, they do some wonderful licensed musou. Wasn't a fan of Fire Emblem Warriors, but on the other hand they have done the Pirate Warriors games and Hyrule Warriors (which are really awesome)

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
What is this "trolling" by Atlus people are talking about? When did Atlus promised you something? And why it's only Atlus's fault? So you think Atlus forced Sakurai to add Joker in Smash at gunpoint?
Apparently, narratives painted by "insiders" lead to claims that the studio is trolling when all they did was leave a teaser for their announcement of a new game. Not even considering that there seems to be something up with SMTV with how long it's taking and that it's on a completely different engine while this is being developed by Omega Force who have experience on the platform. But no, the company is just trolling you.

Oct 25, 2017
No it's not semantics , my mom works for Nintendo and since a very young age , I was reading about exclusive games , and how money influences the flow of them while my classmates were still reading dragon ball mangas .

I have taken the time to think about exclusive games for a very long time it is a deeply held core belief of mine and is part of my morality system . It has informed some of the decisions I have made in my life . And no me being against exclusives and port begging on principle doesn't preclude me to be against slavery and wanting to fight it back and prevent it , and it doesn't preclude me from enjoying exclusives either .

I don't care you don't understand , you don't have to that's just how I work .

Exclusive games terrifies me should I be presented with being the owner of a device allowing me to play one I wouldn't trust myself around it and would want it away from me .

I also enjoy more the threads where exclusive games is acknowledge to be horrific than the happy go lucky ones acting as if it was nothing at all .
Now that I have layed down this notion for the umpteenth time anyone acting as if they are not understanding that is therefore purposedly trolling me .

I have explained myself enough as it is , now either learn to read or d.i.a.f