• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
We missed the preview cycle (found out secondhand that certain outlets were getting preview access) but the English footage I'm seeing is already looking pretty solid!

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know who Persona 5 Strikers is for. For those looking to get into Persona that felt like 5 was too daunting, this much more compact game is still incredibly dense. Diehard fans will find it stripped of what made Persona 5 great.

My preview

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am your preview: The game is great.

Anyone who loved P5 should do themselves a favour and buy Strikers.

If you don't care about Persona 5, but like Musou style games and Persona battle then this is also for you. Amazing soundtrack, great gameplay (unlike other boring Musous), lots of things to do, but not too much and the story is way more compact than Persona 5 and is good for a small side "sequel".

But the soundtrack man.

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
Here's my brief preview on what the first few hours were like, can't say much more than what's in there though
techraptor.net

Persona 5 Strikers Adds Omega Force Flair In All The Right Places

Coming up on almost a year since the Japanese release of Persona 5 Scramble we're now a month away from Persona 5 Strikers getting its global release. Wanting to play more since the Japanese demo released almost a year ago the itch has finally been scratched, and it was worth the wait. Persona 5...

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know who Persona 5 Strikers is for. For those looking to get into Persona that felt like 5 was too daunting, this much more compact game is still incredibly dense. Diehard fans will find it stripped of what made Persona 5 great.

My preview

It's a musou, but with a lot of P5 flair and mechanics. I think Diehards will love it. Eveb if it doesn't have social links.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

My preview

Maybe for people who really enjoyed Persona 5 and who like the characters and world but don't want another 100+ hour experience haha

That's the way I feel about it at least

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I wrote up a preview here and there's a video version too (ignore the Royal art, I'm workin' on getting that changed) -

TL;DR, it's very fun, Sophia's great, it can be a bit frenetic but the Switch version runs pretty well.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

My preview

Gonna watch this soon, but I'm curious to know the answer to one question through all these previews: Are the regular enemy encounters always so easy and quick like the demo? I tried the Japanese Switch Demo and it just seemed like every normal combat encounter was over in a couple of seconds. There were the special miniboss rooms that were much more significant though.

bunikerrim

Oct 3, 2019

My preview

Diehard fans of the game probably played 5 and 5 Royal, so I think Strikers is a way to give us more without having to play a 120 hour RPG again

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna watch this soon, but I'm curious to know the answer to one question through all these previews: Are the regular enemy encounters always so easy and quick like the demo? I tried the Japanese Switch Demo and it just seemed like every normal combat encounter was over in a couple of seconds. There were the special miniboss rooms that were much more significant though.
Isn't this always the case with Musou games though? The only enemies worth a damn are the captains/minibosses/bosses etc

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if we're getting a demo? Wasn't there one In Japan?
They haven't said anything about an English demo, but if you have a Switch or PS4 you can easily make a Japanese account and grab the Japanese demo. It's pretty playable even if you can't read Japanese.
PCGaming with the portbegging preview

www.pcgamer.com

Persona 5 Strikers is a good port and legit sequel, but demands a PC version of Persona 5

The rush to PC puts Strikers in a stranger position than the Dynasty Warriors spin-off already is.
I saw that on Twitter....what a weird take to frame the impressions of this game around.

GreatBriTom

Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I talk about this in the review, but the game is stupidly easy.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this always the case with Musou games though? The only enemies worth a damn are the captains/minibosses/bosses etc
This game isn't really a musou. You encounter enemies like the original Persona 5 (sneak up on them, jump on them and pull off their mask, battle starts). The difference is it just has an action flair to it, but it just seems like you do one weakness exploit, AOA, and that's it. Since there's no turns the combat just takes a few seconds.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

If you get off the Ambush those can be over extremely quickly, they do pick up a bit in challenge later with things like Status Effects, and the mini-boss type fights are fairly common.

I had to leave the Jail a few times to get SP back and heal folks up so it does chip away. There isn't really a downside to leaving, either, which is a little odd.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
If you get off the Ambush those can be over extremely quickly, they do pick up a bit in challenge later with things like Status Effects, and the mini-boss type fights are fairly common.

I had to leave the Jail a few times to get SP back and heal folks up so it does chip away. There isn't really a downside to leaving, either, which is a little odd.
Interesting, I thought you would have a calendar time limit like in P3/P4/P5. I guess leaving the jail is more akin to leaving the dungeon in other dungeon crawling games.

GreatBriTom

Verified
Oct 27, 2017

It's totally bizarre how frequent the checkpoints are and how easy it is to stock up and replenish your HP/SP.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
This game isn't really a musou. You encounter enemies like the original Persona 5 (sneak up on them, jump on them and pull off their mask, battle starts). The difference is it just has an action flair to it, but it just seems like you do one weakness exploit, AOA, and that's it. Since there's no turns the combat just takes a few seconds.
Hmmm I see your point but that's kinda how the combat was in Persona 5 anyway, if you are doing it right it's usually over before the enemy can even attack you if you exploit weakness in a row and do an all out attack.

I can see why that would be quite frustrating in an action game setting though

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time I've heard there's no social links for the game. That's pretty shocking considering how much of a staple it is to modern persona.

Any impressions on if the story is solid, or am I going in turning my brain off?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, I thought you would have a calendar time limit like in P3/P4/P5. I guess leaving the jail is more akin to leaving the dungeon in other dungeon crawling games.

Yeah it does function a bit like that but the frequency of the checkpoints you can warp to makes it even less of an issue than the likes of Persona Q and what have you, because at least there you have to trudge through some pretty sizeable floors if you back out. I'm hoping that changes with later Jails.

It's totally bizarre how frequent the checkpoints are and how easy it is to stock up and replenish your HP/SP.

Yuuup. I can't say I mind it personally, not really coming to games for difficulty, but I could see some people getting bored by it. At least you can set up self-imposed challenges, I guess.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm I see your point but that's kinda how the combat was in Persona 5 anyway, if you are doing it right it's usually over before the enemy can even attack you if you exploit weakness in a row and do an all out attack.

I can see why that would be quite frustrating in an action game setting though

I don't really know how to explain it, but it feels so much different than the original P5 in that regard. It's probably just because everything takes more time in the original P5: you're limited by turns, one more's, etc. You usually hear the chorus of Last Surprise before the battle ends.

From the Strikers Japanese demo, you hear just a little bit of Axe to Grind and then it's all over.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

My preview

This preview pretty much confirms all of my fears I've had about the game despite getting Platinum in Royal. Much like Age of Calamity, I'm going to pass on this one as well.

Appreciate the preview.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my brief preview on what the first few hours were like, can't say much more than what's in there though
techraptor.net

Persona 5 Strikers Adds Omega Force Flair In All The Right Places

Coming up on almost a year since the Japanese release of Persona 5 Scramble we're now a month away from Persona 5 Strikers getting its global release. Wanting to play more since the Japanese demo released almost a year ago the itch has finally been scratched, and it was worth the wait. Persona 5...
There's been some fantastic quality of life changes too, like being able to fuse Persona you've previously obtained from the normal fusion screen, but with the summon cost added, resulting in less flipping between menus.

This seems like what Shin Megami Tensei IV and IV Apocalypse have, right?

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Good to know the Switch version runs well. I already played the original P5 and I don't care about the changes that P5R made so hopefully these won't affect the game too much.

GreatBriTom

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time I've heard there's no social links for the game. That's pretty shocking considering how much of a staple it is to modern persona.

Any impressions on if the story is solid, or am I going in turning my brain off?

The best part of the demo was how compelling I found the plot to be. Why everything is happening and how it's different from Persona 5 is going to have me playing more.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I also captured over 40 minutes of gameplay footage here, covers things like walking around town, the Persona fusion tutorial, story stuff, and the first time infilitrating a Jail in earnest. All from the Switch, too:

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's amazing how much non-musou gameplay and typical Persona-cutscenes there are. I really need to finish P5, lol. Because if you don't know the characters, there's really no point playing this.

That's why it's so weird that this game is on PC and Switch...

how's it compare to Age of Calamity? It's the only other musou game I've tried.

Combat is similar, but there are other gameplay elements - like just exploring cities, talking, shopping.

GreatBriTom

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This preview pretty much confirms all of my fears I've had about the game despite getting Platinum in Royal. Much like Age of Calamity, I'm going to pass on this one as well.

Appreciate the preview.

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I had to be honest about how I think it's going to be received. Got some BIG fans in my DMs fucking chewing me out for being tempered on my excitement ahha

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only gripe with this game is the lack of Royal content, but timing of development and all that. Everything else looks really fun.
latest

(Maybe a sequel hint hint wink wink.)

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I had to be honest about how I think it's going to be received. Got some BIG fans in my DMs fucking chewing me out for being tempered on my excitement ahha
Really fucked up you're getting harassment over it. I don't agree with a lot of the things you say about the series overall but still respect you.

The stuff you mentioned about the combat being so easy does sound a bit worrisome. Is there a difficulty option to choose at the start?

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I dig Persona 5´s aesthetic but I can´t stand turn-based games, so this could be the one for me. The thing that puts me off is that the game seems to be very slow paced and drags along forever according to the previews.

Edit: Never played a Persona game before

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really fucked up you're getting harassment over it. I don't agree with a lot of the things you say about the series overall but still respect you.

The stuff you mentioned about the combat being so easy does sound a bit worrisome. Is there a difficulty option to choose at the start?
Yes. Easy, normal, hard, and Risky which unlocks after clearing the game once.

GreatBriTom

Verified
Oct 27, 2017

There are, so I could just bump it up to the top level, but the normal difficulty definitely feels like an easy.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

GreatBriTom

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I dig Persona 5´s aesthetic but I can´t stand turn-based games, so this could be the one for me. The thing that puts me off is that the game seems to be very slow paced and drags along forever according to the previews.

Edit: Never played a Persona game before

The biggest problem with 5 Strikers is even though it's shorter, it's still extremely slow paced.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks a bunch for the Switch impressions!!

No prob! I'm not a framerate analyst or anything but docked the Switch version runs real smooth. Undocked I hit a few hitches after enemies spawn post-Ambush but it evens out fairly quickly afterwards, and it doesn't happen every time.

It doesn't look as nice as P5 on PS4, especially in the texture department, but it still holds up thanks to the general style of the game, at least IMO.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Torn on this one since I liked Persona 5 enough to play it twice (regular & Royal), but the gameplay doesn't sound great here. On the other hand, it sounds like it's much less of a time commitment.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Around the time it released in Japan, people called it P5-2. Are there any indications of how "good" the story is (and how well it connects with Royal)?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Unsure if i will grab this day one tbh, think i will get it a bit cheaper later.

with the Riders Republic delay i first thought to buy this game instead but the previews don´t sound too hot to me.

GreatBriTom

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Around the time it released in Japan, people called it P5-2. Are there any indications of how "good" the story is (and how well it connects with Royal)?

Completely ignores Royal. That story for all intents and purposes is no longer canon, one of my knocks against Strikers. Otherwise, I think the story is compelling so far.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completely ignores Royal. That story for all intents and purposes is no longer canon, one of my knocks against Strikers.
There is nothing to indicate Royal is not canon. I am so freaking sick of having to repeat this over and over. Just like Persona 4 Arena didn't reference Golden but Ultimax did it's just that the games were made to close together. There is no reason to assume the game developed by Atlus themselves and called the definitive version of the game is non-canon.

Lord I hope Altus announces the next spin-off soon so we can be done with this.