• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
No. It doesn't have to be "traumatic" in a dramatic way you are saying. But I don't believe they wake up some day and say "hey, let's be an abusive garbage from now on."
If you're talking about 'shitty writing' and then saying things like this about people being abusive, I think its not the 'shitty writing' that is at fault but your understanding of abuse, or more accurately, you're lack of it.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
But I have an issue with this game. A huge one. It tries to be deep, to make you question the good and the bad, to think about the morality of things that we as human beings do, but it fails to land properly. It should've been grey - in my opinion - not black and white.

I was expecting to see Kamoshida's (the pervert teacher) side of the story, to see his past and what he has been into that made him this kind of a pesron, but the game just destroys him. In the end he's an giant piece of shit and we're the good guys. And the way that they handle his ending was a huge turn off for me tbh. I can't even continue playing this game anymore, unfortunately. And I really like this game.

Oh don't worry the game goes out of its way to present Kamoshida's actions in shades of gray by sexualizing the female cast in unpleasant ways afterward

Honestly out of all the ways that I think the game fails, calling Kamoshida a creep incontrovertibly is not one of them, so I was astounded that was the direction this post went in.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
No. It doesn't have to be "traumatic" in a dramatic way you are saying. But I don't believe they wake up some day and say "hey, let's be an abusive garbage from now on."

"Kamoshida is a former professional athlete and Olympic volleyball champion who later became the volleyball coach of Shujin Academy. During his time as a teacher, Kamoshida's fame was used as a means to give Shujin Academy and its students more publicity, be it for scholarships or college applications. His ego, inflated by the clear favoritism of Principal Kobayakawa, caused him to sabotage other Shujin Academy sports teams, forcing most to disband so the volleyball team would remain at the forefront. One of the casualties of this campaign was the track team; during his coaching, Kamoshida purposefully goaded them, eventually intentionally provoking one of the top team members, Ryuji Sakamoto, into violence, allowing him to break Ryuji's leg in an apparent case of "self-defense" resulting in the subsequent disbanding of the team.

Despite his Volleyball Club appears to be voluntary instead of forced draft, it is the only sports club available as he sabotaged and disbanded the rest, and all athletes in the club are invariably abused. He sexually harasses his female athletes while subjecting male athletes to brutal physical abuse which he justified by labeling it as "training." It is heavily implied that his usual methods of abusing his athletes are physically assaulting them with his fists, spiking volleyballs directly aimed at their faces and denying them water or rest even if they need it. Presumably, due to the abuse, the sounds of students screaming or other weird noises (Which are implied to be of students having orgasms when being molested by him) can be often heard near the PE faculty office. Even students out of the volleyball team are sometimes not immune to him; if he does not like a specific student, he will tell Yuuki Mishima, a volleyball athlete who he often abuses to spread unfavorable rumors about them.

megamitensei.fandom.com

Suguru Kamoshida

Suguru Kamoshida is a character from Persona 5. He is a former Olympian athlete who has become the volleyball coach of Shujin Academy. Persona 5 / Royal: Major Character (Antagonist) Persona 5 (Manga) Persona 5 The Animation Persona 5 The Stage Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight: Cameo Persona 5...

Dude the theme of "people given power without restraint end up corrupt" is all right there. This is all spelled out in the game.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

You just doubted someone saying that abusers don't need a traumatic backstory, implying that you were under the impression that they do.

It's super weird to say that you want more explanation for why Kamoshida did what he did. The game spells it out - Kamoshida brought prestige to the school and felt owed and above everyone else, and others looked the other way, either because they needed that prestige or because of his position of authority. You literally go inside his head and see how he views the world and what he's doing. His boss form just yells it all out.

If you're still desiring a reason to feel sympathy for him after all that, well, I dunno what that says about you.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really that hard to imagine how someone could become a rapist and abusive teacher? It's not exactly a groundbreaking archetype.

The whole games theme is about rebelling against society in an effort to change it.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes seeing an avatar of a person that is actively ruining my and many others lives get fucked up/ruined/dead can be very cathartic. Which is why the sudden burst of anti-nazi/neonazi media lately has been so satisfying.

I can certainly understand that and understand why people like these kind of stories, I just don't. It's just not where I go to with my fiction. Same reason why I don't spend my time watching stuff like L&O SVU.

The thing I originally responded/agreed to in this thread;
Making an overly exaggerated bad character is not that hard and we have tons of those in movies, games, books, etc.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
persona 5's story has a lot of issues, but not being sympathetic enough to kamoshida is definitely not one of them lmao

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can certainly understand that and understand why people like these kind of stories, I just don't. It's just not where I go to with my fiction. Same reason why I don't spend my time watching stuff like L&O SVU.

The thing I originally responded/agreed to in this thread;
Making a character sympathetic doesnt automatically make them have depth, which is what that person is asking for. I want more sympathetic villains, but people like sexual abusers shouldnt be given any kind of sympathetic light.

OP
OP
BoJack

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Dude the theme of "people given power without restraint end up corrupt" is all right there. This is all spelled out in the game.

You say that power and fame led him into this abusive person, I say I think there are things in his past that led him into being corrupted by having fame and power.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's your average "tell don't show" anime writing. It's good, but it's not moving.

Obsessed with style, not having room for empathy or the flair required to get you to feel stuff.

Writers of the CING games, Shu Takumi and others are my JP writer heroes. Surely some older Square writers are good too, but Atlus is just "Wow we can do edgy & stylish stuff with DEEP THEMES."

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I didn't get the impression any of the Persona or SMT titles were ever deep, even by design?

I think most if not ALL the deeper aspects comes out from some of the confidant stories across Persona 3, 4 and 5. The main story? Not so much. It's a bit a like watching Scooby doo and suddenly a guest character for that episode has a profound story.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
But I have an issue with this game. A huge one. It tries to be deep, to make you question the good and the bad, to think about the morality of things that we as human beings do, but it fails to land properly. It should've been grey - in my opinion - not black and white.

I was expecting to see Kamoshida's (the pervert teacher) side of the story, to see his past and what he has been into that made him this kind of a pesron, but the game just destroys him. In the end he's an giant piece of shit and we're the good guys. And the way that they handle his ending was a huge turn off for me tbh. I can't even continue playing this game anymore, unfortunately. And I really like this game...

while i managed to finish the game, this, in a nutshell, is pretty much for me the reason that persona 5 is the disappointment of the generation. i've always really loved this series, & i wasn't prepared at all for the simplistic, juvenile world view & vision the game espouses...

i'd only add: op, don't write the whole series off. play p3/p4, if you can. they're both excellent (as are the previous entries in their own way)...

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
You say that power and fame led him into this abusive person,
I mean the game spells this out as part of the story for that arc.

The game isn't about Kamoshida's life, its about downtrodden feeling teenagers pushing back against society. Kamoshida is merely the stepping stone along their development and for its flaws I feel they did a good job of making me hate him and want to see his downfall myself.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 contradicts its own messages a lot. That said, I don't think Kamoshida needs to tell "his side of story", that's actually one of the few good arcs in the game.

But overall Persona 5 is a pretty clear cut black and white story with no real commitment to what it wants to say (and at times it's not really sure what that even is). So yea, don't expect anything "grey" about this game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoJack

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Isn't that the same?
What? Read my post again!

I wish I knew. Could be tons of environment or/and genetic reasons. Like I don't know, maybe he was also in a school with abuser teachers too? But this is the laziest answer. Why? Because I'm not aware of his life, and yes, I'm not educated in human behaviour field. That's why I would like to see this things in games like this.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love Persona 5, but the Phantom Thieves overall storyline is probably the worst part of the game. Kinda juvenile IMO. I know its about high school kids, but previous games in this series felt like they were more palatable for non YA players.

I think it depends on what you get out of the game. P4 is probably executed better, but is definitely a more juvenile story considering it's very much a "be true to yourself" story which is fine, but isn't exactly novel in the YA sphere.

I'd argue a story with strong activism themes is much more suited for older audiences even if it doesn't always hit the homerun. On a personal level, p5 was what got me motivated to look more into voting and protests because it's ideas, especially ones presented at the end resonated with me as someone who paid little attention previously.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Sometimes abusers are just shitty people who have been given power. They aren't always victims themselves.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I was expecting to see Kamoshida's (the pervert teacher) side of the story, to see his past and what he has been into that made him this kind of a pesron, but the game just destroys him. In the end he's an giant piece of shit and we're the good guys. And the way that they handle his ending was a huge turn off for me tbh. I can't even continue playing this game anymore, unfortunately. And I really like this game.

I agree with your title but not for this reason. The game set itself up really well from the get-go. Exploring your new neighbourhood and hearing people talk about the economy, listening to the radio talk about the nation's youth problem, all while having to navigate a new life in an all-consuming city while starting from a dusty attic. And oh, you're not even a nobody like everyone else. You're worse. You're a delinquent. It was such a strong start.

With Kamoshida being the first boss, it sets up this foundational idea that there's always going to be a threshold of damage that is inflicted by people like him and that can never be undone. And because the damage is irreversible, his own trauma shouldn't justify the hurt he's caused. And that's why his arc needed to be black and white, because it's establishing that certain behaviors shouldn't be negotiated with. And I thought the game would later set you off with this mindset until it's challenged by a "shitty adult" who's also struggling not to be consumed by the city. I thought the adult Confidantes hinted at this idea but I don't know if any of them actually adequately explored it.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
maybe you don't have to feel sorry for a rapist, and if you're that desperate for sex creeps to have nuance and depth you have Ryuji and the Hero to fulfill the role of "sex creeps who have tragic backstories"

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Making a character sympathetic doesnt automatically make them have depth, which is what that person is asking for. I want more sympathetic villains, but people like sexual abusers shouldnt be given any kind of sympathetic light.

I'm not op. The part I agreed with is the part I quoted. Not everything has to be sympathetic but I have less tolerance for stories where the villain is just evil for the sake of it/to make you feel good to beat them/when the good guys win. It is very easy to get you to hate that person and I have become numb to the feeling of cathartic joy in seeing such a easy mark get their comeuppance. Is it really too much to ask for more from a jrpg now?

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
It REALLY gets worse in this regard, Op

Fuck Kamoshida, he doesnt deserve redemption

But the sexualisation in this game is just disgusting. The protagonists sexualise their friend, even. Her poses and camera angles in battle is also ridiculous.

And dont give me that "she owns it" Bayonetta bulshit, because she is suposed to be underage.

rehjul

Dec 27, 2018
Hard yikes. The game in no way attempts to make you sympathetic towards its antagonists (with one obvious exception), nor should it. It's a condemnation of the society that enabled them.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kamoshida was based on a real rapist. People can be bad because of what society enables. "Complex motivations" for a villain are not an inherently good narrative tool. If any character needed to be explored more, it was Shiho.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think all abusers need to be given a sympathetic side.

No, but the phantom thieves are basically performing non-consented invasive brain surgery and even even when the game does the "is this actually ok?" introspection it fell completely flat for me. Adults are the baddies and teens have a better sense of morality and go inside their brains to fix them all.

Also I did date the teacher because while I don't care for the dating stuff at all but wanted to see how far the game took it. That game really lets you get down with every woman from your teacher to the equivalent of your little sister.

Mostly it just let you make her do chores for you.

Last edited:

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Spend more time being sympathetic towards those who are abused instead of looking for reasons to justify the abuse.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I think BoJack, not unreasonably, expected the game to follow through the precedent of P4, where the dungeons represent the psyches of good people with repressed issues, and navigating the dungeons is a metaphor for unraveling these issues and bringing them to light. P5's dungeons of basically irredeemably evil people that you artificially manipulate into owning themselves can be very jarring if you were expecting something like that. I appreciate that they didn't want to repeat the same structure for P5, but the problem is that they didn't replace it with something equally meaningful, and this ends up making not just the dungeons but the whole game considerably shallower.

These aren't the only issues with P5's plot compared with P4, not by a long shot. The fact that every female social link, for example, is an eligible bachelorette, also makes that side of the plot much more homogeneous and less diverse. So, yes, I would say you would do best to drop it now. I was actually enjoying by that point, but I ended up quitting a few dungeons later out of sheer exhaustion at their increasingly insane length. I don't feel like I would have missed anything particularly inspired by dropping the game earlier.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I do think that P5 is not nearly as deep as it pretends to be, primarily because whiny idiot teenagers complaining about "shitty adults" is just about the furthest thing from depth you can possibly find in modern anime, but Kamoshida's arc was not the problem.

It was the fact that the game kept flirting with serious themes like sexual assault and societal expectation and then doing NOTHING with it. It wanted the allure of tackling serious topics but it was still a dumb anime game about dumb kids who don't know anything acting like they know everything with a story that bends over backwards to prove them right by having virtually every adult they encounter BE the horrible evil bastard they think they are.

They needed to start off with a completely undebatably evil jerk like Kamoshida and then start introducing complexity and shades of grey as the plot progressed to challenge the Phantom Thieves and make them wonder if their cause is actually right. They didn't really do that by the time I got bored and quit.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Something about someone with BoJack as their username and avatar saying we need to see the abuser's side of the story.

I mean, Persona 5 absolutely fails at being deep, it doesn't feel like it put much thought or care into what it's saying, to the point of it being pretty gross. But it not showing Kamoshida's side of the story isn't really one of its problems.
Man, for real. Bojack has several arcs about insincere abusers garnering sympathy drowning out the justice for the abused. Feels like OP's avatar and P5 gripes are at odds.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
It REALLY gets worse in this regard, Op

Fuck Kamoshida, he doesnt deserve redemption

But the sexualisation in this game is just disgusting. The protagonists sexualise their friend, even. Her poses and camera angles in battle is also ridiculous.

And dont give me that "she owns it" Bayonetta bulshit, because she is suposed to be underage.
Yeah, that sort of undercut the gist of the story didn't it. Makes the story feel more like titillation than contemplation. Women aren't empowered, even by the "good guys". They're objectified.

OP
OP
BoJack

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I think BoJack, not unreasonably, expected the game to follow through the precedent of P4, where the dungeons represent the psyches of good people with repressed issues, and navigating the dungeons is a metaphor for unraveling these issues and bringing them to light. P5's dungeons of basically irredeemably evil people that you artificially manipulate into owning themselves can be very jarring if you were expecting something like that. I appreciate that they didn't want to repeat the same structure for P5, but the problem is that they didn't replace it with something equally meaningful, and this ends up making not just the dungeons but the whole game considerably shallower.

These aren't the only issues with P5's plot compared with P4, not by a long shot. The fact that every female social link, for example, is an eligible bachelorette, also makes that side of the plot much more homogeneous and less diverse. So, yes, I would say you would do best to drop it now. I was actually enjoying by that point, but I ended up quitting a few dungeons later out of sheer exhaustion at their increasingly insane length. I don't feel like I would have missed anything particularly inspired by dropping the game earlier.
This was pretty much the first post without telling me what to like and how I should think about a character and gave me a good suggestion at the end. Yes I think I'm done with P5.

Thanks for your wholesome post.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's kind of deep in the first arc, then as soon as Kamoshida's gone and they're trying to find the next villain, it falls flat on its face. Then it falls harder, and harder, and harder until Akechi "dies" and than it falls so hard it comes out the other side of the Earth.

The writing's so fucking bad, holy shit. If it wasn't for the great gameplay loop, nobody but the weirdos would like it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of deep in the first arc, then as soon as Kamoshida's gone and they're trying to find the next villain, it falls flat on its face. Then it falls harder, and harder, and harder until Akechi "dies" and than it falls so hard it comes out the other side of the Earth.

The writing's so fucking bad, holy shit. If it wasn't for the great gameplay loop, nobody but the weirdos would like it.

Pretty much. It's like they went "we got this one serious topic out of the way, now we can be idiots!"

And even on top of that the English localization is hoooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible. Some of the clunkiest dialogue writing I've ever seen in my life, and the voice direction is somehow even worse.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
The actual themes don't really show up until later in the game. It's less about "grown ups bad", it's more about "why is everyone allowing them to get away with it"? The main idea is social media breeds apathy towards the horrors around us, and that leading through example is the only way to break the cycle. It resonated with me strongly, and even if it's not the best gameplay at the end, I still loved the message.

Man, now I really want to play it again.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This was pretty much the first post without telling me what to like and how I should think about a character and gave me a good suggestion at the end. Yes I think I'm done with P5.

Thanks for your wholesome post.

Sure thing; I was just thinking out loud about your post and what I myself felt while playing. :)

devon37

Banned
Jan 3, 2019
I honestly don't think Having a backstory which explains a persons actions necessarily means it's trying to be "sympathetic" towards them. In actuality it could be a lesson of what kind of people turn into abusers and the environments in which they grow up in. Yes, ultimately it is them who makes the choice. but understanding the context around those choices , whether it's the media, political/social climate, parenting, can help our society make positive changes which can lessen the chance of these things happening.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
It's a game about generational grief, OP, and the catharsis of exposing the corruption and failures of past generations. It's not a game about morality and shades of grey.