• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing through P4. Game is nice enough. Soundtrack's fun. I like the cast for the most part. I can also take the fanservice and most of Yosuke's yammering about scoring chics in stride. Everything doesn't have to be tailored specifically for me. That's fine. But maaan, Kanji's arc is some bullshit. I dunno what their intention was with this character, but imo, it doesn't come across well at all.

Given how they handled him, along with one of the endings for Catherine FB, it'd be such a nice turn-around if they made effort to be more inclusive with P6. They don't have to take fanservice away, and they don't have to force any particular relarions or whatever. Just have options. Totally different genre, I know, but Stardew Valley lets you date (or not date) whatever gender you want in a completely unintrusive manner. Why can't more games do this?

It's not like I was expecting these games to touch upon LGBT instances in any form, but given Atlus's tendency to apparently not shy away such topics, they might as well do it right and offer properly written characters and representation.

Hops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain.
It doesn't need to. One thing is if you want that but the series really doesn't need that, especially if the developers aren't into the idea of adding those dating options.

It is a touchy subject anyways and if they do force themselves to do it you will probably see people whining that they didn't do it the "right way".

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
It'd be cool, but part of me wants P6 to be a revamp that does away with the Social Link stuff.

Although since it's a new team, I also want them to just remake the P2 Duology...

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Or just let us date Yusuke in P5 Golden....
NBs4nnY.jpg

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was something P-Studio would fix with P5; I'm naive as fuck, apparently! With Hashino no longer on the series, hopefully the person who replaces him will have a better approach to these sorts of things (again, probably being too naive).

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It doesn't need to. One thing is if you want that but the series really doesn't need that, especially if the developers aren't into the idea of adding those dating options.

It is a touchy subject anyways and if they do force themselves to do it you will probably see people whining that they didn't do it the "right way".
Right now, their way is to treat the LGBT+ community like absolute fucking shit while claiming to be a game about fighting for the trodden-on and underpowered in society.

They can fuck right off with this "but we don't wanna" shit because the angle they've chosen is to be actively hateful.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Right now, their way is to treat the LGBT+ community like absolute fucking shit while claiming to be a game about fighting for the trodden-on and underpowered in society.

They can fuck right off with this "but we don't wanna" shit because the angle they've chosen is to be actively hateful.
Yeah, specifically with P5, it undermines the entire fucking main theme of the game.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that there was going to be a path where you could date Yosuke but they took that out. What a shame.

Could have been a good "Oh, so that's why he's so insecure" story.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
It really does not, but I would not be against it. At least, only if it is handled respectfully and not like an awkward BioWare way of handling a gay relationship.

I am honestly pretty surprised people take Kanji's arc to directly mean he had to be gay. Being a teen and first starting to recognize what you like or where you fit in within the world can be an especially difficult thing for many people. Hell, he might just be bisexual. Yosuke having a cut gay relationship feels like it would carry a lot more weight to me personally, kind of surprised they never went through with it in Persona 4 Golden. It would've made sense with how insecure he is.

Rival

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Midlands
It really doesn't need it, and it needs it even less if it's going to be shoehorned in just to keep people happy, only for those same people to then complain it's not well done.

It needs to be done organically if it's done, and for no other reason than that the designers want it like that, because then it's more likely to be woven into the narrative as opposed to pointlessly tagged on

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm certain they'd handle such a thing with the utmost adeptness, respect, and sensitivity.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'd sooner trust a random handful of middle schoolers to cobble together a respectful story that speaks to the LGBT experience.

OP
OP
WarpSpeedMolasses
Oct 25, 2017
It really does not, but I would not be against it. At least, only if it is handled respectfully and not like an awkward BioWare way of handling a gay relationship.

I am honestly pretty surprised people take Kanji's arc to directly mean he had to be gay. Being a teen and first starting to recognize what you like or where you fit in within the world can be an especially difficult thing for many people. Hell, he might just be bisexual.

I could have seen this if his posessed/dark-self didn't come across like gay-stereotypes played up for laughs. This is also maybe just my interpretation, but the story came across to me like rescuing him "cured" him of identifying/being lgbt.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I trust the Persona team to handle LGBT dating. Not after the three Social Link games all fucked up LGBT representation in one way or another.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Don't think it needs to, it could and it'd be nice, but if they have a specific story they want to tell, don't see why it should be changed.
I think if they are to include LGBT+ elements though they should handle them correctly, which I don't have much confidence in tbh.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
It's not some kind of necessity that the game need's to have. I will be happy with or without it as long as game is good.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I could have seen this if his posessed/dark-self didn't come across like gay-stereotypes played up for laughs. This is also maybe just my interpretation, but the story came across to me like rescuing him "cured" him of identifying/being lgbt.
All of their shadow selves are outrageously exaggerated. Rise and Yukiko are absolutely not the mega sluts their other selves portray them as, for example.

I honestly connected with Kanji's story a fair deal. Emotions that go against social normalities can be frightening as you are hitting puberty. Especially when you are growing up around a lot of other kids with similarly negative or hateful world views.

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018

Yeah, the characterization in both Japanese and English is pretty overtly stereotypical in its treatment of Kanji's sexuality as joke fodder—or, even worse, something "evil" that must be "defeated."

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wary of saying it needs it, just because of how poorly games that felt they had to did (all the romance options in Bioware games). That said, FeMC + LGBT options would be rad, but a lot of extra work.
They need to excise Hashino first
We already know he isn't on the next one.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
It's not necessary, but it's necessary to fix their writing. Less homophibic bullshit and less bloat.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

I was actually shocked that Fire Emblem beat Persona to having same sex romance options. This has been a long time coming and it's ridiculous it hasn't happened yet.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'd like this.

And I'd like to see one of two things happen with the protagonist. Either let us choose between a male and female protagonist or give the defined protagonist a voice.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Baby steps man. Persona 6 should first be void of any transphobic crap. You bet if they're gonna put in more lgbt stuffs, chances are they'll screw it up in some ways.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it have to? As long as they don't disrespect anyone, they can put in whatever kind of relationship they please.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Persona has to stop using the high School setting tbh. I don't want a game of children dating, but rather I would gladly take one were they are already in college or just friends.
Add all dating options, but don't make it high school anymore pls.

OP
OP
WarpSpeedMolasses
Oct 25, 2017
Why does it have to? As long as they don't disrespect anyone, they can put in whatever kind of relationship they please.

I'd agree but have you seen what LGBT content has been like in their previous games? It's not like those needed to be there, executed the way they are.

All of their shadow selves are outrageously exaggerated. Rise and Yukiko are absolutely not the mega sluts their other selves portray them as, for example.

I honestly connected with Kanji's story a fair deal. Emotions that go against social normalities can be frightening as you are hitting puberty. Especially when you are growing up around a lot of other kids with similarly negative or hateful world views.

I completely disagree with your take, but don't mean to negate or dismiss your interpretation at all. It really sounds like you connected with that arc.

Maybe I just expect more heavy-handedness, but I think I ultimately need more assurance from the writing to feel OK about the intention of that arc.

I love Atlus games, (hell most of us here are huge fans) but I personally can't give the team the benefit of the doubt in these instances given the pattern showcased so far.

Last edited:

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Persona has to stop using the high School setting tbh. I don't want a game of children dating, but rather I would gladly take one were they are already in college or just friends.
Add all dating options, but don't make it high school anymore pls.
I'd love another Persona game that focuses on adult characters like in Eternal Punishment.

May 26, 2018
Flat out it won't. The director's feelings seem clear at this point.

You're way more likely to be right if you surmise the depiction of Puritan non-ideal human beings will get worse. Now there are solid teams in this day and age that will support him, the director might as well pick one and dive in all the way as long as he's not stopped by his producers.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want a college focused Persona 6 where you hang out with the boys, listening to jams while drinking alcohol.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember, Japan is like two generations behind, but in some ways two generations ahead when it comes to LGBT community.

It's cool we had some gay characters in Persona, but I agree, I'd love gay, non-binary, and transgendered options. These are topics that a game like Persona could explore very well.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
I'm all for gay romance options in Persona but can we please not have every character be romanceable regardless of gender. I hate games that make characters romanceable purely to give the player choice. Mass Effect 3 had gay characters but if you weren't the gender they were attracted to you got rejected. That's how the world works. I cannot date anyone I want just because I want to do so. Especially in Persona where every MC since 3 is some sort of sex god that attracts every female within a 5 mile radius. In Persona 5 you could literally date every female confidant
(except Sae for story reasons)
I mean like come on.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That's asking a lot from that studio but if any game needs it more, it's a potential P3 remake. Not having Akihiko and Mitsuru be datable for both playable genders should be a crime.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree that it needs them. But I would like to see them, yeah.

Although, as a bisexual man, if they provide LGBT dating options, I have to say I would also like them to include less insufferable men, otherwise I'm not all that interested anyway.