• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 12, 2020
What is the legitimate chance that P6 gets announced this year?

I'm looking at the initial release dates:
Persona 3: 07/2006
Persona 4: 10/2008
Persona 5: 09/2016

It's pretty clear the development cycle has really gone off the rails between P4 and P5 but we are going into 7 years from the release of P5 this year. P6 can't be that far off, can it? At least an announcement this year wouldn't be unreasonable perhaps.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Finally Etrian Odyssey 6, Etrian Odyssey 3 Untold, and Etrian Mystery Dungeon 3 all in 2023! Yuzo Koshiro going to be putting in work!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

It's pretty clear the development cycle has really gone off the rails between P4 and P5 but we are going into 7 years from the release of P5 this year. P6 can't be that far off, can it? At least an announcement this year wouldn't be unreasonable perhaps.
100%

Release probably 90% too.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
100%

Release probably 90% too.

Announcement I'd put at 80+%, especially after the debacle and not-quite-apology statement about the year-long 'celebration', but release?

Seems pretty unlikely, unless the game's basically done - and if it were, we'd have seen something last september around the 'end' of the 25 year celebration.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Announcement I'd put at 80+%, especially after the debacle and not-quite-apology statement about the year-long 'celebration', but release?

Seems pretty unlikely, unless the game's basically done - and if it were, we'd have seen something last september around the 'end' of the 25 year celebration.

Yeah, I seriously doubt that if they had the game in such a state they wouldn't have shown it on the whole year celebration.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 6 please, it's about time. Hopefully a different tone direction than we'd expect.

kKFe8oA.jpg

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Finally Etrian Odyssey 6, Etrian Odyssey 3 Untold, and Etrian Mystery Dungeon 3 all in 2023! Yuzo Koshiro going to be putting in work!
I think we got all of Etrian Odyssey 3 Untold that we were going to get in Nexus, unfortunately - the two dungeons cribbed from EO3 in there were almost certainly leftovers from a scrapped EO3U project. This sucks, given 3 is my favorite. And EMD2 was pretty poorly received, so I'd be surprised if we got a sequel, but at least they could farm that one out to Spike Chunsoft again, probably?

I hold out hope for EO6 or equivalent. That teaser from years ago can't have been for nothing, right?

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Persona 6 will get announced at the next PlayStation event. Release March next year. Draft your tweets, it is set in stone.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020

It's not quite so simple as that. The team that made those three games also made Catherine, so throw that in there on 02/2011 on your list and the gap between P4 and P5 makes a little more sense. It is also, however, irrelevant to a potential Persona 6, because this team as it existed then no longer exists. The main leaders of it are now Studio Zero, who did the Catherine re-release and have since been working on whatever Re;Fantasy is going to be.

The current Persona team mostly made their debut with Persona 5 Royal (though some of them have worked on Persona games previously of course, just not in their current roles), so that'd be 10/2019.

A Persona 6 has certainly been a long time coming but just laying out when 3, 4, and 5 came out doesn't tell the whole story.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I seriously doubt that if they had the game in such a state they wouldn't have shown it on the whole year celebration.

I mean, MAAAAAYBE I could see it, but timing-wise it'd have to be announced pretty close after the P3P PC release (which would risk cutting off P3P sales), say in late February/March, I can see it maybe hitting November/December....but that seems highly unlikely, even for Atlus' general oddities with promotion/announcements.

Especially considering the marketing blitz P5 ended up having (even if some of that was more spread out due to multiple delays)

Persona 6 please, it's about time. Hopefully a different tone direction than we'd expect.

Modern persona sells way too well with the waifu and teenage rebellion/heroes style elements - I'd love to see a college-esque age/setting, but I don't know that I see it happening, especially with high school kinda-sorta being so huge in Japan, and SMT taking the reigns for the more 'serious' aspect for Atlus titles.

I am curious as to what large-scale 'framing' they use for P6, though - we've had 'The truth'/television and society versus reality, 'rebellion' and righting wrongs of shitty adults, and a tossup between choice/responsibility and 'loss'.

Curious too if they copy P5's 'style' aspect with the menus and such too, similar to P3-P4's menu similarities, or switch it up again - depends on said theme, I suppose.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently they were meant to announce it last year but chose not to at the last minute. SH2 was 6 months from announcement to release, and for whatever reason, I think they're gonna try and keep that sort of cadence like a lot of other companies.

90% was too high, put me down at 50% instead.

the-x-files-i-want-to-believe.gif

though.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Modern persona sells way too well with the waifu and teenage rebellion/heroes style elements - I'd love to see a college-esque age/setting, but I don't know that I see it happening, especially with high school kinda-sorta being so huge in Japan, and SMT taking the reigns for the more 'serious' aspect for Atlus titles.

I am curious as to what large-scale 'framing' they use for P6, though - we've had 'The truth'/television and society versus reality, 'rebellion' and righting wrongs of shitty adults, and a tossup between choice/responsibility and 'loss'.

Curious too if they copy P5's 'style' aspect with the menus and such too, similar to P3-P4's menu similarities, or switch it up again - depends on said theme, I suppose.
They might do a senior in high school about to graduate or something. And I'm really curious about the theme too… I hope it's about self discovery and figuring out who you really are. It would be similar to Persona 4 but that's fine

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Apparently they were meant to announce it last year but chose not to at the last minute. SH2 was 6 months from announcement to release, and for whatever reason, I think they're gonna try and keep that sort of cadence like a lot of other companies.

90% was too high, put me down at 50% instead.

the-x-files-i-want-to-believe.gif

though.

Under that logic then I don't think we're getting it, I assume we're getting P3R first, and if that's the case, assuming they stick to a short marketing cycle, they could announce that in... March at the earliest? I don't think they'll be dumb enough to cannibalize the sales of the port of P3P, and if we get P3P later down the year that'd leave them months of coasting on that game's accolades before talking about p6. We might see it at the end of the year tho.

EDIT: I can't wait for either game and I'd instantly buy them so I want them now plz

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I am actually shocked there isn't a Persona deckbuilder. It feels like it wouldn't be terribly hard to do either, with all the different demons and whatnot.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

TheCouncillor

Oct 16, 2022
So if the P3 remake is true, does that mean that P6 and the remake are being worked on by the same team? And which one would come first?

Last edited:

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
SMTV falls under the "I will never relate to some of you performance people" category of video games for me, since I really didn't notice the issues during my time with it unless I was specifically looking for them, and even then they didn't really bother me.

I'll take more content in that vein though, a remixed Apocalypse-type game for SMTV sounds like a blast
I agree, never had any performance problem with it, though I'm talking specifically about handheld mode.

And also, I'd love an Apocalypse sequel to V, that game laid too much groundwork in terms of lore that can be definitely used in a sequel

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to get too hyped about a game company saying they haven't announced everything. Just going to patiently wait for something actually new from Persona team.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Personally, I would only play a Persona 1 and 2 remake if it incorporated the life-sim/calendar system from the "modern" Persona games.

I feel that's an experience I uniquely get from Persona and not consistently good anywhere else. I'm not a fan of mainline SMT really at all. The atmosphere of those games is usually too oppressive for me and the story/characters aren't as engaging to me as Persona.

I thought I was in the majority in my opinions of P1 and P2 until reading this thread lol

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If they go back to P1/2IS/2EP, I think I'd rather just get a collection of the PSP remasters as is.

Though if they're going back to the 90s I'd kinda prefer SMTI/II/if and DS/SH collections if I'm being honest.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
There's only been like two Persona 5 spin offs, that's some rookie numbers man.

Pretty much.

Dancing and Strikers, and if we're being real here, only Strikers counts as a full fledged, substantial spin off game.

It's why I never understand it when people say P5 has been milked to death and needs to move on.

P5 only has one proper spin off game in the form of a sequel, and a darn good one if we're comparing it to the other persona spin off games.

People see P5 gacha collabs and think that is "so much P5 content" when no, it isn't. Such small collabs mean nothing and is in no way meaningful content.

At this point, P4 has been milked way more tbh.

There were three: Persona Q2, Dancing and Strikers. Then you had the Royal re-release. It didn't get as many as P4, but it still got a good milking.

I can't say I agree with adding Q2 in there, since it features the other 2 persona games as well. It's not P5 centric since it shares the spotlight with other persona cast members.

I also disagree with it being milked well at all.

I'm also not counting Royal re-release since the P4G and P3P are also getting ports as well, since that's more of a Persona series thing, than just P5.

Can't say I understand it when people say P5 got it good, when if you really think about it, not really aside from Strikers. Even the P5 dancing game was done dirty since it released way too early that P5S and P5R music aren't even in it. It is easily the worst dancing game out of the 3.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I can't say I agree with adding Q2 in there, since it features the other 2 persona games as well. It's not P5 centric since it shares the spotlight with other persona cast members.

I also disagree with it being milked well at all.

I'm also not counting Royal re-release since the P4G and P3P are also getting ports as well, since that's more of a Persona series thing, than just P5.

Can't say I understand it when people say P5 got it good, when if you really think about it, not really aside from Strikers. Even the P5 dancing game was done dirty since it released way too early that P5S and P5R music aren't even in it. It is easily the worst dancing game out of the 3.

Q2's main focus on the marketing was the P5 characters, so I count it. If you're just going to count games where only the main cast from a certain game shows up, then P4 only got one spinoff, because it shares the spotlight with P3's cast in both Arena games and the first Q. It's also silly to discount Royal when Royal came out over 3 years later, required you to rebuy the game, and was essentially treated as a new game release like Golden was.

If you want to just make arbitrary rules about why things don't count, then none of these games were milked. But if you look at the actual amount of stuff without arbitrary rules it was milked pretty well, and that's not mentioning the host of other ways it was promoted that didn't include spin-offs that's been mentioned

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
P5 just traded Arena for Strikers (an upgrade imo). Otherwise it's on par with P3 and P4 for sharing the same spinoff stuff (PQ, Dancing).

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
Q2's main focus on the marketing was the P5 characters, so I count it. If you're just going to count games where only the main cast from a certain game shows up, then P4 only got one spinoff, because it shares the spotlight with P3's cast in both Arena games and the first Q. It's also silly to discount Royal when Royal came out over 3 years later, required you to rebuy the game, and was essentially treated as a new game release like Golden was.

If you want to just make arbitrary rules about why things don't count, then none of these games were milked. But if you look at the actual amount of stuff without arbitrary rules it was milked pretty well, and that's not mentioning the host of other ways it was promoted that didn't include spin-offs that's been mentioned

When I said Royal, I was referring to it just being recently ported to all platforms, same as P4G and P3P, so not just the Royal upgrade itself. So to me, that's not exclusively P5 getting milked.

P3-5 all had rereleases, so I can't say Royal is an example of it being milked when it's sort of standard for the series from P3 onwards if that makes sense.

If we are to include every single game, then P4G is still the game that got milked the most.

If we're just talking about games and their quality, PQ2 got so little sales since it released right when the 3DS was dying, and P5D sold disastrously.

Strikers is the only game that actually holds any weight.

If I look at it that way, I honestly cannot see how P5 had actual good video game content aside from 1 measly spin off, which is pretty poor considering how huge P5 is for Atlus.

P4G had a great dancing game with a lot of tracks, it had 2 fighting games, and got featured in 2 Q games.

Cross overs, to me, especially mobile gacha ones, aren't full fledged video game titles, so of course I'm not counting those, but a lot of people are for some reason, even if it's something they only hear about in passing and probably don't even play.

In short, Strikers being the only P5 spin off that holds any weight is pretty weak for a title that helped skyrocket the Persona series and is Atlus best selling game, which is why I cannot see P5 being milked at all.

P5 just traded Arena for Strikers (an upgrade imo).

I definitely agree with you there.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I mean, I just want to benefit from all the milking, not just having collabs with every other gacha games that I don't play.

(Hell, they don't haven't even collab with the gacha games that I DO play.)

Persona 5 is their best selling game, they can afford to milk it better.... Hell we only have ONE Anime adaptation while P4 has two series, P3 has four movies lol.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Cross overs, to me, especially mobile gacha ones, aren't full fledged video game titles, so of course I'm not counting those, but a lot of people are for some reason, even if it's something they only hear about in passing and probably don't even play.

In short, Strikers being the only P5 spin off that holds any weight is pretty weak for a title that helped skyrocket the Persona series and is Atlus best selling game, which is why I cannot see P5 being milked at all.

I agree. I would love more P5 content on the level of Strikers. Hot damn Strikers' story was so good. Love it so much.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Made by the RGG Studio. Makoto curbstomps shadows in the metaverse. You all know you want it.
This would be rad because not only does RGG turn out good work but based on their history with changes made to Yakuza 3-5 remasters, we wouldn't have to worry about any transphobia or homophobia.

Let's make it happen.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
This would be rad because not only does RGG turn out good work but based on their history with changes made to Yakuza 3-5 remasters, we wouldn't have to worry about any transphobia or homophobia.

Let's make it happen.

I'm hoping without Hashino P6 won't have weird homophobic jokes. I can only assume its him and his weird hangups because Catherine Full Body doubled down on it

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
When I said Royal, I was referring to it just being recently ported to all platforms, same as P4G and P3P, so not just the Royal upgrade itself. So to me, that's not exclusively P5 getting milked.

P3-5 all had rereleases, so I can't say Royal is an example of it being milked when it's sort of standard for the series from P3 onwards if that makes sense.

If we are to include every single game, then P4G is still the game that got milked the most.

If we're just talking about games and their quality, PQ2 got so little sales since it released right when the 3DS was dying, and P5D sold disastrously.

Strikers is the only game that actually holds any weight.

If I look at it that way, I honestly cannot see how P5 had actual good video game content aside from 1 measly spin off, which is pretty poor considering how huge P5 is for Atlus.

P4G had a great dancing game with a lot of tracks, it had 2 fighting games, and got featured in 2 Q games.

I definitely agree with you there.

As I said, if you make arbitrary rules for what counts and what doesn't, then yeah, I guess it hasn't. I'm just going by what is actually there whether I personally care about it or not

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
SMTV falls under the "I will never relate to some of you performance people" category of video games for me, since I really didn't notice the issues during my time with it unless I was specifically looking for them, and even then they didn't really bother me.

I'll take more content in that vein though, a remixed Apocalypse-type game for SMTV sounds like a blast

The performance issues are very noticeable, and the beginning of the game was difficult for me to enjoy.

After a couple of hours with the game, my brain adjusted and I wasn't bothered anymore by the frame rate. So I agree and disagree with you.

I'm here to say that Atlus is still making great games, and I'm excited to see what they announce next. Got Soul Hackers 2, Persona 5 Royal, and more on 3DS to keep me entertained for a while.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

Lol, I'm the same way. I swear I almost never noticed the performance stuff people rag on with most games. Guess I have a high tolerance

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Yeah, I'd say it's about time for that Persona 6 announcement.
It's been a while since 5, timing feels right.

I do hope Project Re Fantasy also resurfaces soon.
I'm really intrigued by that concept.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT

Green confirmed!

Atlus was owned by Index Corp at that time and they was more than a good chance things could go belly up. Then combine that with the Japan earthquake in 2011 that changed the game's trajectory and moving to PS4.

It's not quite so simple as that. The team that made those three games also made Catherine, so throw that in there on 02/2011 on your list and the gap between P4 and P5 makes a little more sense. It is also, however, irrelevant to a potential Persona 6, because this team as it existed then no longer exists. The main leaders of it are now Studio Zero, who did the Catherine re-release and have since been working on whatever Re;Fantasy is going to be.

The current Persona team mostly made their debut with Persona 5 Royal (though some of them have worked on Persona games previously of course, just not in their current roles), so that'd be 10/2019.

A Persona 6 has certainly been a long time coming but just laying out when 3, 4, and 5 came out doesn't tell the whole story.

I think PC had a timeline of Royal and the Dance games that showed any P6 development would have started in mid to late 2019.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i hope they've hired writers for whatever these project are because basically every HD title they've released has been a flop in that department xoxo

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
It's been a while since Royal came out, the devs are already experienced in making and shipping a HD game, there's not been a major disaster in Japan like how the earthquake in 2011 set back P5's development so P6 shouldn't be too far away. UNLESS, the rumoured P3 remake is what the team is making.
Doing an enhanced version and a making a new game from scratch are vastly different things. Hashino took a lot of veteran staff with him to Studio Zero so it wouldn't be surprising if P6 development is a little slower than expected.
Oh yeah baby the year of Devil Survivor 3!!!!!!
The dev team was working on Soul Hackers 2 so that one is not happening any time soon sadly.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Since things from this thread seem to be getting noticed. I have two things to add

1. I've heard similar about Persona 3 getting a remake
2. Persona 6 seems to be a sooner rather than later thing when it comes to being revealed

Sadly I have no hard specifics on either (When it comes to platform and such) but more or less just want to indicate that Atlus when it comes to reveals this year probably isn't trying to mess with us again lol.

-----------

Now for personal guesses
I think the Persona 6 or Persona 3 reveal got delayed from the concert (which fits someone on the Atlus team saying that 70% of the anniversary plan was handled). If I were to guess, one of these games (if not both) are multi-platform in some shape or form. Which likely means one of the players decided they wanted marketing rights.

So IMO, I would expect the next Persona reveal to be tied to something like a Nintendo Direct, Xbox Show, or Playstation Showcase. Rather than something done by only Atlus/Sega themselves.

As said though, this whole section is just me theory crafting

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Since things from this thread seem to be getting noticed. I have two things to add

1. I've heard similar about Persona 3 getting a remake
2. Persona 6 seems to be a sooner rather than later thing when it comes to being revealed

Sadly I have no hard specifics on either (When it comes to platform and such) but more or less just want to indicate that Atlus when it comes to reveals this year , Atlus probably isn't trying to mess with us again lol.

-----------

Now for personal guesses
I think the Persona 6 or Persona 3 reveal got delayed from the concert (which fits someone on the Atlus team saying that 70% of the anniversary plan was handled). If I were to guess, one of these games (if not both) are multi-platform in some shape or form. With likely means one of the players decided they wanted marketing rights.

So IMO, I would expect the next Persona reveal to be tied to something like a Nintendo Direct, Xbox Show, or Playstation Showcase. Rather than something done by only Atlus/Sega themselves.

As said though, this whole section is just me theory crafting

If someone's gone out of their way for exclusive announcement rights, it's almost certainly going to be Microsoft