• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Today, Cygames announced a fighting game based on the popular mobile RPG Granblue Fantasy, called Granblue Fantasy Versus. This game is developed by Arc System Works, and it will be released in Japan in 2019.

While this wouldn't imply anything about the Persona series on its own, what is remarkable is a supposed leak from the Japanese text board 5channel (formerly 2channel). On December 10, 2018 in a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate discussion, an anonymous user posted the following:

Joker

The stage is Mementos

Jack Frost appears on screen with a skill

Marketing of P5R (complete version) and P5U (fighting game)

P5R is 2019

P5U is delayed because Arc is busy with the development of a Granblue fighting game

This information is certainly not conclusive, however it was a post made five days before today's announcement of a Granblue Fantasy fighting game. There had been no rumors of this beforehand.

More at https://personacentral.com/rumor-pe...plete-edition-2019-super-smash-ultimate-leak/, including the details of the supposed second Smash DLC (Dragon Quest character).

Worth noting that Vergeben talked for a long time about a Square Enix rep for Smash coming.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
If the rumour is true, then a Mementos stage sounds a bit disappointing without having seen what it will actually look like.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that "leak" about Smash isn't true. Sugiyama is an evil, evil man, and not a cent of Smash's profits should go to him.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it were only one of the two hypothetical games it would be more plausible.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
That article is wrong about one thing: There have been Granblue Arc Sys rumors for a while now. At least two or three months back.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess that DQ collab must be real because they managed to release Dragon Quest XI S in a timely manner.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have my doubts about Erdrick. Square was apparently a bitch and a half to negotiate with during Smash Ultimate's development, with one off the record rumor claiming that they were close to pulling the plug on the whole affair, and Dragon Quest is such a rights clusterfuck fueled by egotistical old men that it's hard to see them wrangling that property into Smash. I expect them to settle for something easier.

Deleted member 3365

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another persona fighting game would be great. Hopefully Persona 5 comes to switch, that would be so good!

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Hold on —
2channel is called 5channel now? Along with 4chan now being 4channel? Why are these happening?
4chan still exists. The site owner kept the NSFW boards on 4chan, and moved the SFW ones to 4channel to try and attract more advertisers for 4channel, which is failing miserably.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who doesn't play JRPGs I wouldn't be jazzed by those first 2 characters.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hold on —
2channel is called 5channel now? Along with 4chan now being 4channel? Why are these happening?
4channel only exists because they want ad money. the 5channel thing, I don't know

Erdrick is believable, but I find it weird they wouldn't use the DQ11 protag since he'll have more presence in the west

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have my doubts about Erdrick. Square was apparently a bitch and a half to negotiate with during Smash Ultimate's development, with one off the record rumor claiming that they were close to pulling the plug on the whole affair, and Dragon Quest is such a rights clusterfuck fueled by egotistical old men that it's hard to see them wrangling that property into Smash. I expect them to settle for something easier.

Egotistical and racist/sexist/homophobic, in Sugiyama's case.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I'm still not certain if Square's issues with Smash is solely limited to Final Fantasy or not. If that is the case, I could easily see Dragon Quest happening.

Not that I want it to due to Sugiyama.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Usually i would throw these types of rumors away instantly but the fact it said specifically arcsys are working on granblue fighting game (which was revealed today) does make it seem legit.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos would be the latest stage choice by far. That said, it's a fairly weak rumor... It's not hard to predict a granblue fighting game.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mementos really would be the most boring stage, assuming they go for the upper levels that are basically just subway tracks but... sinister

I figure all of this is gonna happen eventually anyways, and if the Granblue stuff has been rumored for a while then yeah not especially believing it

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly sure there were rumours about Granblue before the 10th.

Going to call fake.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
We've had hints from Imran of a 2nd Square-Enix rep for a while, so the rumor isn't that out-there.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mementos is plain, but the way it works
it could change triggering certain conditions

Sounds interesting.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I'd had ruled out a second Square character seeing how Cloud's rights were so barebones in Smash Ultimate compared to other non-Nintendo characters. It'll be interesting if they can resolve those differences.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Two JRPG characters back to back seems a bit weird. If a Squar Enix JRPG rep is in I would have expected them to be the third or fourth reveal.

Nov 4, 2018
As a long time observer of Smash "leaks" I have to ask, at any point has an ArcSys developed Granblue fighting game ever been rumored or seen as likely?

Often with a lot of these text leaks is they are created by people who have pretty good anyltical skills and they'll throw in things that seem likely. Have enough people doing this and eventually someone will get something right.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Another Square enix rep...

I dunno, I don't care about Dragon Quest that much.
But going by sales its the most obvious choice. Hope they add more (good) musics this time. I wish there was some Chrono Trigger music...

I guess they are going all japanese, so Monster Hunter, DMC. I wish Scorpion was on it, but I guess that's unlikely

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
Please no on the DQ character. We're going to get crappy midi music and it will only be 2 tracks.