• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They could do an iconic antagonist/monster like Nemesis or a Tyrant. Plus, uh, there's plenty more converted "gun" characters in Smash than just Snake (Samus, MM, Fox, Inklings, Mii Gunner, etc, etc). I don't think Chris, Leon, Claire or whoever woukd be a stretch at all.

They won't do a monster. It'd be one of the protagonists, and none of them have fighting styles that could work in Smash without being a really lame copy of Snake.

That's the problem - Wesker is the only human in Smash with potential for an unique moveset, and he's a villain.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Resident Evil would just plain be impossible to do well in Smash. Snake already fills the "guy who only uses guns who we've downgraded to just use CQC and explosives" gap. There's no one else they could really work in save for Wesker, and Wesker's not a protagonist.

Oh ye of limited imagination

Have the weapon animations as taunts only, that'll go over great!

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
the only issue with guns in Smash is if they act and sound like real guns

energy weapons and a paint gun aren't the same. Snake skirts the line only because he uses explosives

but we will see. If Joker keeps his gun, then maybe

All of the marketing for Persona 5 in Japan stressed that they don't use Real Guns, so I imagine they'd know how to handle it for Smash.'

Hmmm also have we heard anything on the new mainline SMT game?

We haven't gotten a new trailer in a whole year, and I doubt they'd put another Atlus character in.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh ye of limited imagination

Have the weapon animations as taunts only, that'll go over great!

I mean, "some guy played a bunch of RE4 with just the knife" isn't exactly a reflection of how the game actually plays. That's like saying that a Dark Souls playable character would be naked because some Youtubers like to play no-armor punches-only runs. Like it or not, the pistol is Leon's signature weapon.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All of the marketing for Persona 5 in Japan stressed that they don't use Real Guns, so I imagine they'd know how to handle it for Smash.

except they look and act like real guns. The whole cognition excuse does not work if it acts and sounds like a real gun in gameplay.

The ONLY reason its stressted like that because they

A. had no other way for teenagers to get access to real fire arms in the game

B. weren't gonna give high school teenagers "legit" fire arms that can be used in their "normal" world

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Man if only they could apply that "We can't use another gun fighter because they'd be too similar to Snake" thoughtline to All of the Sword Fighters

except they look and act like real guns. The whole cognition excuse does not work if it acts and sounds like a real gun in gameplay.

B. weren't gonna give high school teenagers "legit" fire arms that can be used in their "normal" world

*paints the tips bright orange and makes them fire hearts*
there they have solved that problem

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Charizard lost Rock Smash because it's going to be Chris Redfield's Side B obviously.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

persona 3s evoker?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They won't do a monster. It'd be one of the protagonists, and none of them have fighting styles that could work in Smash without being a really lame copy of Snake.

That's the problem - Wesker is the only human in Smash with potential for an unique moveset, and he's a villain.
Oh ye of little faith. If Capcom can handle Jill or Chris in MVC I think Sakurai and Namco could do them justice in Smash. They did MM better than Capcom themselves too.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
About Leon or other RE being in Smash, I don't think it's that hard. They can use shotguns/rocket launchers/flame or stun grenades...

I agree that this is what Snake or other characters do, but I don't think that is that hard to come with a moveset for Leon based in RE4, for example.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh ye of little faith. If Capcom can handle Jill or Chris in MVC I think Sakurai and Namco could do them justice in Smash. They did MM better than Capcom themselves too.

Jill sucked in MvC. That moveset had nothing to do with how Jill actually does anything in Resident Evil. And Chris' entire moveset was "LOOK AT ALL THESE GUNS".

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
While we're throwing out pie in the sky wishes for P5R, like Atlus letting go of their homophobia or cutting some fat, how about they just take all of P5 and replace it with Nocturne. I has about the same likelihood of happening but a better chance of making the game better :^)

I would definitely be down with a SMT Nocturne enhanced remaster, though I fear modern Atlus would screw it up somehow.

As for P5R, I didn't even do the NG+ on P5; unlike P3 I have no desire to play through P5 again. It makes me sad to say, but I have no interest in P5R or anything P5 related. I mean I wouldn't even consider it unless they took out all the homophobic content, for starters.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, "some guy played a bunch of RE4 with just the knife" isn't exactly a reflection of how the game actually plays. That's like saying that a Dark Souls playable character would be naked because some Youtubers like to play no-armor punches-only runs. Like it or not, the pistol is Leon's signature weapon.

If I have to be any more sarcastic, I will get an aneurysm.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The problem is that Smash's E10+ raring basically rules out the use of firearms that aren't explosives. And unlike Bayonetta, the RE cast can't weasel their way out of it by making the guns look magical or cartoony. At the same time, you could go the MvC2 route & focus on summoning zombies. Or you could just do Wesker minus his Samurai Edge, but that goes back to the whole main character thing,

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About Leon or other RE being in Smash, I don't think it's that hard. They can use shotguns/rocket launchers/flame or stun grenades...

I agree that this is what Snake or other characters do, but I don't think that is that hard to come with a moveset for Leon based in RE4, for example.
man Leon would be awesome. RE4 is comming to Switch too right?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
man Leon would be awesome. RE4 is comming to Switch too right?
Aside from the moveset concerns, Leon seems like the ideal 3rd party newcomer:
-He is the co-protagonist of the new RE2 remake, so he's more relevant than ever
-RE is in most Nintendo systems
-Re4 was a limited-time GC exclusive
-Capcom is already in Ultimate

I'd like them to use Leon as the Capcom newcomer if there's going to be one, even if this means no Monster Hunter.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Jill sucked in MvC. That moveset had nothing to do with how Jill actually does anything in Resident Evil. And Chris' entire moveset was "LOOK AT ALL THESE GUNS".
So you focus on other items and weaponry; knife, grenade, rocket launcher, herb, etc. You have a boulder punching final smash. RE is huge, iconic, has a long history with Nintendo and Capcom's starting the port train in earnest next year. This one seems so obvious it hurts, I'm sure Sakurai and co. can figure it out.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see a zoning style summoner RE character. Send out dogs for fast projectiles, slow zombies that grab opponents, plants or spiders for an up B, and a Nemesis final smash.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The Chosen Undead isn't a character either, though. It's just some guy. I don't want a DLC character to be a generic, faceless nobody.
Well, Corrin is barely a character, same with Joker. They're the avatars for the player, the same as the chosen undead. Cloud can fit this description too, even if not on the same degree. And don't get me started on the plant...

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Resident Evil and Dark Souls are in the same boat as Doom and Skyrim as far as representation go. Just because the games themselves are "iconic" does not mean any characters from them would work in Smash.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Corrin is barely a character, same with Joker. They're the avatars for the player, the same as the chosen undead. Cloud can fit this description too, even if not on the same degree. And don't get me started on the plant...

Cloud is a character. Corrin is awful, but he too is a character.

The Chosen Undead is literally just an empty shell. He never speaks, he's closer to Wii Fit Trainer or a Mii than anything else. Artorias on the other hand has a distinct look, a distinct weapon, and actual moves. And a cool dog!

So you focus on other items and weaponry; knife, grenade, rocket launcher, herb, etc. You have a boulder punching final smash. RE is huge, iconic, has a long history with Nintendo and Capcom's starting the port train in earnest next year. This one seems so obvious it hurts, I'm sure Sakurai and co. can figure it out.

We already have that character in Snake, though. It's just...repetitive. Bland.

Wesker would be way better. At least he has unique abilities that stand out.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Artorias on the other hand has a distinct look, a distinct weapon, and actual moves. And a cool dog!
Absolutely, Artorias seems like the best option but:
-Another Sword character (I know I don't care about this, but it's the reality)
-He is not well-known compared to Solaire or the chosen undead (whose default appearance should be Oscar's btw)
-He is an enemy from a DLC, so lots of Dark Souls players didn't even fight against him

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Wasn't he or another RE character in the ps all Stars game? Leave them there where they belong. They're not smash material

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
We already have that character in Snake, though. It's just...repetitive. Bland.

Wesker would be way better. At least he has unique abilities that stand out.
Wesker would be fine too and could be considered a "main" character. But whatever the case I think there'll be a RE rep and don't think the only way to do Chris would be as a repetitive bland Snake clone.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, Artorias seems like the best option but:
-Another Sword character (I know I don't care about this, but it's the reality)
-He is not well-known compared to Solaire or the chosen undead (whose default appearance should be Oscar's btw)
-He is an enemy from a DLC, so lots of Dark Souls players didn't even fight against him

If DLC disqualifies Artorias, then Ornstein would also suffice. The most iconic boss in the entire series would be perfect, he'd be a spear user, and his final smash is super easy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wesker would be fine too and could be considered a "main" character. But whatever the case I think there'll be a RE rep and don't think the only way to do Chris would be as a repetitive bland Snake clone.

Let's be real: if Capcom gets ANOTHER character (and they don't really need one), it should be Phoenix Wright.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If we're getting a Dark Souls character, I'm guessing there's a bout a 95% chance that it's Solaire. He's the one that got the Amiibo, after all.

Artorias would definitely be my pick if it were up to me (Sif summon as final smash!), but I also won't be too torn up about it if we get a Dark Souls friend of any kind.

Let's be real: if Capcom gets ANOTHER character (and they don't really need one), it should be Phoenix Wright.
I'm honestly on the other side. Capcom has legendary enough characters to get deserve their own entire fighter pack. I'd buy a Dante, Leon, Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright, MonHun pack in a heartbeat.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The rule against realistic weapons also came from a time, where Sakurai thought, that Mii and Animal Crossing characters woudn't be a good fit. Bayonetta already broke this rule.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
Leon has plenty to work with, and Sakurai has more imagination than most of us.

-Knife
-Stun Rod
-Suplex
-RE4 kicks
-Spark Shot
-Flamethrower
-Mine thrower
-PRL
-Grenade launcher (ammunition type switching gimmick?explosive,acid,nitrogen?)
-Ada or Claire's crossbow/Krauser's longbow
-Incendiary grenades
-Flash grenades
-Get real silly with it and involve plagas or lickers or some crazy shit like that

There's also the RPG and regular hand grenades and proximity bombs, but this may be too similar to Snake and as we all know, it is a crime in Smash Brothers to have two characters who are similar in any way.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Slime would be a much more iconic and interesting character then a generic anime character from any DQ title..

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Morrigan should be in next
then chun lee
Then daante
Then arthur
Then oheonix wright
Then monster hunter
Then jill
Then ryu from breathe of fire

The only way Morrigan should be in is if she has the exact same sprite she's had in every single 2D appearance she's had since the '90s. I want that joke to continue.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, you have to play the Dark Souls character with a set of Rock Band drums. That's the only way it's playable.

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
smash_your_valentine_by_mgx0_dcuhwxu-pre.jpg

Source:https://www.deviantart.com/mgx0/art/Smash-Your-Valentine-776818434

(My favorite part of this picture is the little squid giving him the stink eye.)
This is amazing lmao