• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Different strokes, I guess. Nocturne was one of my favorite RPGs of all time. Couldn't finish P5. Just got so, so, so bored with how formulaic and repetitive it got near the middle.
Obviously it comes down to opinions but I guess I'm just not a fan of how little story there was.

I didn't like any of the characters so I wasn't going to feal sad when they inevitably go psycho. And the gameplay just wasn't enough of a draw for me.

Now a Digital Devil Saga remaster? Then you'd have my attention.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously it comes down to opinions but I guess I'm just not a fan of how little story there was.

I didn't like any of the characters so I wasn't going to feal sad when they inevitably go psycho. And the gameplay just wasn't enough of a draw for me.

Now a Digital Devil Saga remaster? Then you'd have my attention.

Oh, the characters are all assholes. I agree with you entirely. That's why I just said "fuck 'em all" and went true neutral. Best ending route anyway!

Digital Devil Saga was the opposite problem for me - there was too much story AND all the characters were jerks, hah.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
If some company needs more characters is Capcom. They have lots of really big and iconic games and characters. I don't think we need to limit each company to X characters in the game, if a company has more and better games they deserve more characters. It just makes sense.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
I imagine that's what Joker is going to be, only with dagger strikes instead of punches.
Considering Bayonetta only got her main weapon, Cloud not getting magic, and what ASW did with Yu in P4 Arena, I believe it's more likely they'll focus around the one persona and the theif motif for Joker's moveset. There's enough there to make a fun a character. Also if the leak is real, because of Jack Frost.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
yeah all the MCs are pretty similar moveset wise. If they wanted to do extra work they could make multiple costumes to represent different DQs. like have 4 different characters with 2 coiors each

Erdrick
DQ1 MC
DQ4 MC
Luminary

but thats a lot. just a way of them promoting different ones. But imo it'd be just one and if not Erdrick, the Luminary would be next in line for recency and other reasons

Actually, according to the rumor, it's:

Male Erdrick
Female Erdrick
Luminary (XI)
Ann Lucia (X)

With two colors each.

Isn't Jade from DQ11 like the most popular DQ character ever? I'd rather have a party member that are more unique than bland DQ MCs who are again sword weilders.

I don't think EVER. She was just making headlines and being the talk of the town when XI came out. I wonder if the DLC will throw in any spirits. A Jade-possessed Samus Battle seems obvious.

This sounds like one of those rumors created by someone trying to make a fake rumor about things people would really want to happen. I'm calling BS.

You know, I read a comment elsewhere that the thing that makes this believable is there's no blurry photo and no long sob story about the leaker's source.

Pretty much. It sucks, because Crono is a better character and CT is a better game than any Dragon Quest, but there's just no way he'd ever make the cut in this game. I'm just praying they got Square to do a second FF rep. I would even take Yuffie over Dragon Quest, and I hate Yuffie.

Oh please, you're just being unbearably obnoxious and petty now. Chrono Trigger is just a DQ with Time Travel. Only reason CT gets more attention than DQ is because of Enix USA's incompetence. Quit while you're ahead.

Last edited:

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Can the complete version be sold separately from the main game? I dont want to buy another same but a bit different full game for second time

#IfTheRumourisTrue

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Gotta love how these rumors appear immediately after Joker is announced for Smash, but not a single peep before. Feels like people making shit up to cash in on the announcement hype.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean, like a DLC expansion? Very unlikely, Atlus simply doesn't have any track record of doing that.
when would they have done that? all their previous expanded versions have been on systems that don't support dlc.
i guess you could say catherine's extra content isn't coming to ps3/360 as dlc, but those are dead platforms.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
when would they have done that? all their previous expanded versions have been on systems that don't support dlc.
i guess you could say catherine's extra content isn't coming to ps3/360 as dlc, but those are dead platforms.

You're not wrong, I still don't see them changing the way they do things just because the hypothetical P5 expansion is coming out on the same system. Even less so if it's multi-platform.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
If some company needs more characters is Capcom. They have lots of really big and iconic games and characters. I don't think we need to limit each company to X characters in the game, if a company has more and better games they deserve more characters. It just makes sense.

Time for that Dante vs Bayonetta dream to come true.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Chrono Trigger is just a DQ with Time Travel.
I'm not a DQ expert (only played VIII and XI), but I feel that CT is a really different game. The story is simplistic, but the characters, the combat system, the time-travel system, the different worlds to explore... To me, CT feels a lot more interesting, even if it's a really old game, while DQ is boring vanilla JRPG.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
The whole concept of a Persona 5 Arena just does not make sense to me. Are they going to continue the story of Persona 4 Arena and Ultimax? If it takes place after Persona 5 are we going to see Persona 4 characters in their early 20's? Is Sho going to be in it?

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I'm not a DQ expert (only played VIII and XI), but I feel that CT is a really different game. The story is simplistic, but the characters, the combat system, the time-travel system, the different worlds to explore... To me, CT feels a lot more interesting, even if it's a really old game, while DQ is boring vanilla JRPG.

I would blame the Kotaku review of XI. Looking back, despite being a very wild collaborative experiment, I think with Horii and Toriyama's involvement it still had the heart of a DQ game and playing XI feels like what an evolved sequel to Chrono Trigger would be like. I just see the "if DQ is so great why is CT regarded more?" as an argument and I'd say that's strictly because of its absence during the 16 bit period.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would LOVE Viewtiful Joe. His moveset is perfect for Smash as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the DLC characters given that there's still some loud murmurs of Viewtiful Joe 3 happening, and that it might be Nintendo exclusive since Platinum are allegedly developing it, which is on top of talks that they're working with Nintendo on something.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
and playing XI feels like what an evolved sequel to Chrono Trigger would be like
I strongly disagree. I think that a modern CT game should be far more unique and interesting than DQ XI. The simple fact of visiting different time periods while fighting against really different enemies, having a party comprised of more unique characters... I mean, the story of the original CT feels far more unique than DQ XI's, and we're talking about a really old game here. I think that the best JRPG SE can do at this moment is CT remake, using the same story and combat system with modern graphics. Yasunori Mitsuda is at the top of his game at this moment, so having him remake the OST will be THE DREAM.

I would blame the Kotaku review of XI.
I thought it was an embarrassing review (most of Kotaku's reviews are really bad IMO), but how the review has any relation to my perception of two games I've played?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The whole concept of a Persona 5 Arena just does not make sense to me. Are they going to continue the story of Persona 4 Arena and Ultimax? If it takes place after Persona 5 are we going to see Persona 4 characters in their early 20's? Is Sho going to be in it?

Yes to all of it.

Well, except for continuing the story of P4U. You'll probably get a new story involving the cast.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When was that event going to be held in Japan where Square confirmed they'd be showing DQ11S for Switch? I think it was early 2019.

If this DQ in Smash rumor is true I couldn't think of a better moment to drive hype than announcing Erdrick or whomever is in Smash at the same event you're showing the first mainline DQ running on Switch.

Zephyx

Oct 28, 2017
I'll probably get a Switch if P5 with a lot of additional content is released on the platform. I bought a Vita for P4G and Persona games really have a big pull on me.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
strongly disagree. I think that a modern CT game should be far more unique and interesting than DQ XI. The simple fact of visiting different time periods while fighting against really different enemies, having a party comprised of more unique characters... I mean, the story of the original CT feels far more unique than DQ XI's, and we're talking about a really old game here. I think that the best JRPG SE can do at this moment is CT remake, using the same story and combat system with modern graphics. Yasunori Mitsuda is at the top of his game at this moment, so having him remake the OST will be THE DREAM.

It's not the game overall, more like the "engine" has potential. The avoidable encounters, the Pep system being very similar to the double and triple techs, the beautiful environments.

I thought it was an embarrassing review (most of Kotaku's reviews are really bad IMO), but how the review has any relation to my perception of two games I've played?

That's a part in the review where he brings up story and characters and compares it to Chrono Trigger. Noting Horii's involvement with the two, he says the pacing and story/character beats are crafted the same way.

When was that event going to be held in Japan where Square confirmed they'd be showing DQ11S for Switch? I think it was early 2019.

If this DQ in Smash rumor is true I couldn't think of a better moment to drive hype than announcing Erdrick or whomever is in Smash at the same event you're showing the first mainline DQ running on Switch.

On one hand it seems too soon, on the other hand maybe the Joker announcement was meant to be more English centric and an Erdrick reveal would be more Japanese centric. It's not like Joker showed gameplay footage so neither would Erdrick.

If DQXI coming to Switch why would they put Erdrick in Smash, why not the new hero from DQXI

As said, XI's hero is said to be an alt. Erdrick/Loto is very much the most iconic face of the series. He gets a lot of merchandise and even had an incredibly successful manga spin-off (not of him, but of his name). III is very much the Final Fantasy VII of the series. XI is also a major throwback to III

I'll admit having X's Ann Lucia is kinda weird, but it's probably because her look is so close to female Erdrick it'd be too easy to have an alt based on her.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
On one hand it seems too soon, on the other hand maybe the Joker announcement was meant to be more English centric and an Erdrick reveal would be more Japanese centric. It's not like Joker showed gameplay footage so neither would Erdrick.
Even so, announcing 2 characters months before the release seems like a bad idea. Lots of people here were convinced that they were going to wait until PP's release to announce the DLC. The game awards announcement made sense, as they want to sell the pack asap, but Smash means lots of hype and announcing the DLC characters slowly one by one makes more sense for the marketing of the game.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Yea I can definitely see some of the info being true (p5 getting a remake, dq coming to smash) but it's not healthy to get ahead of ourselves.
For one, its a stretch to believe that some insider knew about atlus/Nintendo internal info, especially when literally no one leaked joker.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't even need story. It's a fighting game. Story of arena games was garbage anyways

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Edelgard would be a very good addition if she goes with her ax. She has a unique aesthetic that stands out among the other characters of Fire Emblem

Last edited:

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I was surprised to see that Sylux ain't a spirit in the game. There's 2 hunters but no Sylux.
So either he was meant to be dlc, or he's meant to be added as a spirit with its brand new Metroid Prime 4 design !
Or maybe Sakurai just didn't knew that Sylux is in Prime 3's and Federation Force's secret ending, and didn't knew he's Tanabe's favorite one :p

But I think it's still interesting to note that he isn't present in the game while 2 other hunters are !

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
If they want the DLC to sell in the West, they shouldn't choose a Dragon Quest character.
Just like they shouldn't have made Lucas DLC, right?

Good grief the DQ gatekeeping gets tiresome.

Erdrick/Loto is my absolute most desired addition to Smash. The fact that it has a tiny chance of maybe happening is thrilling.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I was surprised to see that Sylux ain't a spirit in the game. There's 2 hunters but no Sylux.
So either he was meant to be dlc, or he's meant to be added as a spirit with its brand new Metroid Prime 4 design !
Or maybe Sakurai just didn't knew that Sylux is in Prime 3's and Federation Force's secret ending, and didn't knew he's Tanabe's favorite one :p

But I think it's still interesting to note that he isn't present in the game while 2 other hunters are !
I also think that Sylux is very likely. Probably one of the decisions made by Nintendo and not Sakurai.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Of the top 50 best selling titles of all time in Japan, DQ and Yokai Watch are the only ones with no representation in Smash. DQ has 6 titles in the top 50 BTW.