• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
This is Sylux. Someone tell me the appeal of this:
latest

He looks like some Subspace enemy, or the polygon fighters that Melee used for Multi-Man Melee. It's a very ugly design.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Add me to the camp that definitely needs some of the P5 dungeons shortened by a good chunk in a possible extended version. Last time i remember a dungeon dragging this long was Vesperia's final dungeon ... oh joy, i'm gonna see that one again soon ...

Also, Spoiler for late/endgame of P5:

I hope no redemption for Akechi. Dude was a mass-murderer because of daddy issues, how will you redeem this without it being a total joke?

If there is another char, it should be the Shogi pro player girl.

Yes, there is literally no logical reason not to put it on Switch barring any deals Sony might have, not sure how that works but I don't think there are any considering the Q games?

Since when does Atlus makes decisions on logical reason? It could miss one or another platform simply because Atlus gonna Atlus. Let's make an improved version of P4 and only release it on Vita and not on PS3, too. How do you guys think about another Persona spin-off in the year 2018 (maybe even 2019 for the west if at all) only for 3DS, great idea for Atlus. Dancing (!) games (!!) with the Persona casts.

I mean ... i'm used to japanese dev/pub companies doing some strange decisions, then there's Atlus trying to 1up the others in this regard. ^^

Honestly, if that extended/enhanced version of P5 exists, it should just be available on all platforms, that would make sense. PS4 players double down on new content, Switch is a new userbase.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
This is Sylux. Someone tell me the appeal of this:
latest

He looks like some Subspace enemy, or the polygon fighters that Melee used for Multi-Man Melee. It's a very ugly design.
Every metroid character gets a redesign at each new game. Even Samus. It's not fair to criticize an old design made for a DS game. They had to create designs that would work with the technical limitations. So of course its design is very simplistic.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Every metroid character gets a redesign at each new game. Even Samus. It's not fair to criticize an old design made for a DS game. They had to create designs that would work with the technical limitations. So of course its design is very simplistic.
I dunno, all the designs from the game were bad. The bounty hunters in MP3 looked far far better, and not only because of the more powerful hardware.

On the other hand, when I look at Sylux's helmet...
_rFoiiFLBVvg5buz2vj313RfC9TD94BA9DIwD86NRgocdlYcPQFH_6ltb0ai-okmT6k6SP426mo=w640-h360-p

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Because this is the guy they decided should be important in future Prime games for some reason.

I still just don't get it. MP Hunters was an awful game, why would they want to remind anyone that it existed? It's one of those things that just doesn't make logical sense. It's not like Sylux was some kind of super-popular, under-utilized character with a ton of potential. All of the Hunters were total nobodies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still just don't get it. MP Hunters was an awful game, why would they want to remind anyone that it existed? It's one of those things that just doesn't make logical sense. It's not like Sylux was some kind of super-popular, under-utilized character with a ton of potential. All of the Hunters were total nobodies.
Creators pet?

Honestly I have no idea. It's such a weird thing I agree. It's be like having That dude with the Metal Claw in Spirit Tracks be a major character in the next Zelda.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I don't get it either. Back when people were demanding Ridley, Sylux was being named too. The reason is hear was that "Metroid DESERVED more representation." People are just REALLY thirsty for Metroid reps I guess.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
Since when does Atlus makes decisions on logical reason? It could miss one or another platform simply because Atlus gonna Atlus. Let's make an improved version of P4 and only release it on Vita and not on PS3, too. How do you guys think about another Persona spin-off in the year 2018 (maybe even 2019 for the west if at all) only for 3DS, great idea for Atlus. Dancing (!) games (!!) with the Persona casts.

I mean ... i'm used to japanese dev/pub companies doing some strange decisions, then there's Atlus trying to 1up the others in this regard. ^^

Honestly, if that extended/enhanced version of P5 exists, it should just be available on all platforms, that would make sense. PS4 players double down on new content, Switch is a new userbase.

Uh I wasn't answering the question from Atlus's perspective and predicting what they will do. I was merely stating it is the most logical thing to do.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it either. Back when people were demanding Ridley, Sylux was being named too. The reason is hear was that "Metroid DESERVED more representation." People are just REALLY thirsty for Metroid reps I guess.
We'll in this case it's becuse Prime 3 and Federation Force foreshadowed something involving Sylux I believe.

So a lot of people rope him in as a promotion character like Eldegard or a Gen 8 Pokemon.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metroid is my favorite series and I long preached for Ridley and Dark Samus to be playable, but I think we're set now. If anything I think Zelda is still poorly represented (three Links, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh please, you're just being unbearably obnoxious and petty now. Chrono Trigger is just a DQ with Time Travel. Only reason CT gets more attention than DQ is because of Enix USA's incompetence. Quit while you're ahead.

I don't think CT and DQ have anything in common beyond the fact that Toriyama drew the characters. The conceit and basic flow of Chrono Trigger was super unique for its era and still compares favorably to most modern JRPGs. It's about as close to a masterpiece as most RPG developers ever get.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid is my favorite series and I long preached for Ridley and Dark Samus to be playable, but I think we're set now. If anything I think Zelda is still poorly represented (three Links, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf).
I would agree, especially since they didn't really put a huge effort into making the three Links super distinguishable in terms of their movesets.

Young Link should've been like the Pokemon trainer, in that he has Goron form, Deku form, and Zora form. Each has a basic moveset, but each feels different and has their own advantages, etc. And then his final smash would be Feirce Deity. Toon Link should make use of the Wind Waker in some meaningful way, like he has wind attacks or something, I don't know. Would've been cool.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would agree, especially since they didn't really put a huge effort into making the three Links super distinguishable in terms of their movesets.

Young Link should've been like the Pokemon trainer, in that he has Goron form, Deku form, and Zora form. Each has a basic moveset, but each feels different and has their own advantages, etc. And then his final smash would be Feirce Deity. Toon Link should make use of the Wind Waker in some meaningful way, like he has wind attacks or something, I don't know. Would've been cool.

Yes, the most frustrating thing about having three Links is that Sakurai's hesitance to make radical changes to character movesets between games means we're stuck with them that way, although he did change up Link and Ganondorf a bit in this one. Young Link and Toon Link could very easily have unique movesets. I think right now our best bet would be an alternate Zelda with different weapons and magic abilities, but I'm not sure what naming convention they'd use to distinguish them.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the most frustrating thing about having three Links is that Sakurai's hesitance to make radical changes to character movesets between games means we're stuck with them that way, although he did change up Link and Ganondorf a bit in this one. Young Link and Toon Link could very easily have unique movesets. I think right now our best bet would be an alternate Zelda with different weapons and magic abilities, but I'm not sure what naming convention they'd use to distinguish them.
Yeah...not sure either. I like having all the Links, and I do appreciate the variation, but yeah - they could be better. That Young Link thing has always grated me, like he could be such a cool character if they based his moveset on Majora's Mask more.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They did

I dunno, Joker would be one HELL of a lucky guess, but that list contradicts what Reggie said in that the DLC will be surprises completely new to the series.

I thought Reggie was saying all of the DLC characters will be new to the series. Which is of course obvious, since everyone who has ever been in the series is already in the game. But that's Reggie for ya.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Sylux looks stupid as hell but he has a certain product-of-his-time charm

kind of like K. Rool

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Sylux is just a Boba Fett rip-off. I think people lied to themselves that he was interesting because they wanted Prime 4.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
The only way it could get funnier is if Mother, Punch Out or F-Zero somehow got another rep.

I wouldnt complain about Porky but it just would be weird.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...not sure either. I like having all the Links, and I do appreciate the variation, but yeah - they could be better. That Young Link thing has always grated me, like he could be such a cool character if they based his moveset on Majora's Mask more.
Yeah I️ always wanted his specials to be based on mask transformations

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did

I dunno, Joker would be one HELL of a lucky guess, but that list contradicts what Reggie said in that the DLC will be surprises completely new to the series.

Im going to chalk this up to luck for now, we had people on era predicting Joker as well. It was a long shot, but not a crazy crazy pick, very unlikely, but not outside of discussion. If they are 2/2 then I think it will be time to take a closer look, until then im not buying just yet

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I️ always wanted his specials to be based on mask transformations
It's funny too because pretty much all of the transformations' "B" moves wouldn't even need much thought.

Deku:
Up-B: Shoots up from a deku flower and then glides slowly down on his two pink deku helicopters
Side-B: Spins and uses his hat to attack (like the dashing in Majora)
B: Shoots a deku bubble
Down B: transform

Goron:
Up-B: bounces high in the air as a rolled up Goron
Side-B: Maybe a big Goron punch or getting into a goron ball and rolling around
B: Powder keg (that he can set down or throw)
Down-B: transform

Zora:
Up-B: Shoots into the air with the blue waves around him (like swimming in MM) - feels like Fox's fire fox
SideB: Combo attack like the fire emblem guys (because he does those cool kick and punches in MM)
B: Shoots his fin boomerang things
Down-B: transform

And all their taunts can be their various instruments playing a different song from MM.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the only thing worse than Young Link as a distinct character would be Young Link as four distinct characters

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
The only way it could get funnier is if Mother, Punch Out or F-Zero somehow got another rep.

I wouldnt complain about Porky but it just would be weird.
All of those have characters which can be considered memorable and iconic to various extents.

Sylux didn't even stand out amongst the other generic hunters in his own debut game.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think CT and DQ have anything in common beyond the fact that Toriyama drew the characters. The conceit and basic flow of Chrono Trigger was super unique for its era and still compares favorably to most modern JRPGs. It's about as close to a masterpiece as most RPG developers ever get.
Chrono Trigger has a lot in common with DQ. Horii's writing style can be felt throughout it imo, especially in the game's pacing.

There's a mix of classic FF in there too, but DQ's influence is undeniable, and the lack of it can be felt with Chrono Cross.

Cursed Mega Man Mask

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 6, 2018
So when Mystic posts a leak despite his credibility, everyone discredits him and sometimes even insults his presence in the industry, but when a 2CHANNER posts a leak its automatically believed?
Really Guys?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did

I'm not buying this. Fake leaks always follow a similar format and similar phrases ("Nothing's confirmed yet," making bold claims while simultaneously insisting they're not sure if it's true, "I haven't heard anything but here's a name somebody told me," etc). Genuine leakers are more specific and will be more clear about what they do and do not know instead of constantly hedging their bets ("My dad's uncle who works at Nintendo told me Banjo might be in but also he might not be in").

I'm filing this one under "lucky guess" (we've heard Persona on Switch rumors before) until proven otherwise.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So when Mystic posts a leak despite his credibility, everyone discredits him and sometimes even insults his presence in the industry, but when a 2CHANNER posts a leak its automatically believed?
Really Guys?

Well generally rumors that happen before an announcement and have accurate information are treated more seriously than rumors which have not been proven yet to be accurate.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Erdrick is a character that makes a ton of sense to the point that even if a leak got him right it could just as easily be chalked up to good analytical skills rather than anyone with inside info. A lot of us have been bringing up Erdrick in Smash speculation ever since Ultimate's announcement.

He's not on anyone's radar in the western gaming community compared to other S-E properties, so he would be a surprising announcement. He also has the chops as far as impact to gaming, and marketability in Japan as well as western promotion of DQ.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Erdrick/Loto seems like a safe bet.

P5R seems too soon, and I wouldn't be interested in a port. Needs significant changes to party members/confidants/dungeons to get me to go through it again.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really Guys?

Lol at the use of "everyone". Some people believed Mystic and some people don't believe this.

And for Mystic, I found it weird that a guy who was good at looking up hidden domain names and hidden files was being called a "veteran insider" by some random site. He used to post a lot back in the GAF Persona threads, so unless something had drastically changed in the past two years, calling him a "veteran insider" was just factually incorrect.

As for this rumor, I don't really believe it either as 2/4chan rumors can randomly get things correct. Guessing that ArcSys, who has a history of partnering up for licensed fighting games, would be making a Granblue game (Cygames has been making the move to console development and talking to console developers for a while now) isn't that far fetched a guess.

But it's a Smash "rumor", so even the most flimsy of them tend to get a lot of discussion going, mostly on character wishlists.