• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No idea since he's literally Goku but as a swordman lol
k4DVp4L.png
yaaaaaas

If this rumor is true we get Goku, OG Dragon Ball styled Caulifla, Future Trunks, and uhh... someone else

Nov 4, 2018
I'm confused regarding the Erdrick stuff. It says there's Anlucia and DQXI Hero colours, but does this mean just a palette swap resembling them, or an actual alternate costume?
I feel like they're simply colors. With how minute the differences are between some of the new Echo fighters, making that many characters alternate costumes doesn't make a lot of sense especially with the, honestly really stupid, resctriction of each character only having 8 costume slots.

If Erdrich were to have 4 chooseable characters, Male and Female Edrick plus the two other characters, that would leave for only 2 colors for each character alt.

Also, Olimar still having Alph as an alt I don't feel is proof against my argument as Alph was supposed to be in the same group and Dark Pit and Lucina in Smash 4 and even then still has 4 selectable outfit options. And even now he didn't get promoted to an Echo Fighter and even now doesn't even have a unique render pose like how the Koopalings all do, probably because they didn't want to make an Alph amiibo. Which annoys the crap out of me.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why square would go for dragon quest over kingdom hearts unless the latter isn't an option.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Seems fake to me. I don't think Sakurai would make Mementos a stage, plus as others have said, the granblue game was rumored.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Erdrick being Smash DLC would be the closest thing to Goku being in.
latest

Will they go with the Famicom child design or the SFC remake design? The fact that Fem Erdrick is included makes me think it's the latter (Toriyama never properly designed a female Erdrick in the original). Would probably better match Ann Lucia and Luminary too.

DQIII_Hero_Class.png

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why square would go for dragon quest over kingdom hearts unless the latter isn't an option.

Because Dragon Quest is a much more iconic franchise in Japan. And a bigger one as well. Wouldn't make sense to go for KH instead.

Will they go with the Famicom child design or the SFC remake design? The fact that Fem Erdrick is included makes me think it's the latter (Toriyama never properly designed a female Erdrick in the original). Would probably better match Ann Lucia and Luminary too.

DQIII_Hero_Class.png

Size-wise it makes more sense to go with that version, although I do prefer the original. Maybe they'll make a hybrid.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Yeah I think that it's fake as of now since Senjougahara was spreading the Granblue fighting game rumor which was gaining traction.

IIRC Vergeben also talked about it but he even ended up burning himself when he claimed that there would be a Minecraft boss. Still I wouldn't be surprised if both P5A and P5R existed regardless of the rumor.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

DQIII_Hero_Class.png
Sakurai gave us Conan the Barbarian Simon Belmont and Pac-Man World Pac-Man. I'm positive he'll go with the older design.

Plus, this is the most recent depiction of the character:

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Folliebarder%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F12%2Fdq_book_cover2-1200x1163.jpg

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Kingdom Hearts representation in Smash would require Disney's approval on top of Nomura's, & there's no guarantee that Sora would remain available for purchase indefinitely if we go by other Disney licenses. You're also underestimating how iconic Dragon Quest is, especially in Japan.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Ha never made this comparison before!
Not sure what design they'd go for though if he made it. I imagine all 3 maybe? Would be a first to have 3 forms.

Don't see how that makes his design bad though or what that has to do with his potential moveset. Can't deny Mickey is iconic design anyway.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Piggyback rumor. I feel like if it was feasible for DQ stuff to be in Smash it would already be in the game.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because Dragon Quest is a much more iconic franchise in Japan. And a bigger one as well. Wouldn't make sense to go for KH instead.

Plus dragon quest games appear on nintendo consoles, kh does not. If we view this as partly marketing there's a big dq game coming to switch so a dq character makes a ton more sense

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Piggyback rumor. I feel like if it was feasible for DQ stuff to be in Smash it would already be in the game.
One of the rumours surrounding the game's development is that Cloud was literally one of the last characters they got the rights to. It would make sense that a new Squeenix character wouldn't be ready by launch if you believe that.

Nov 4, 2018
So I see a lot of people not wanting a DQ character in because of Sugiyama, and I want to say 2 things about that.

1. Sugiyama isn't the sole contributor to Dragon Quest, and while it's your money and 100% your right to choose not to buy something for any reason, I feel it's wrong to shun the work of something created by a team of people solely because of the actions of one person, and in this case not even apart of the development team.

2. Because I don't think Sugiyama would allow his music to be released outside of Japan for Smash because of how fucking xenophobic he is, Smash would probably have to commission a bunch of remixes like how the Bayonetta songs had to be remixed into versions without lyrics, which means he wouldn't be getting any royalties because they aren't using his versions of the song.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So I see a lot of people not wanting a DQ character in because of Sugiyama, and I want to say 2 things about that.

1. Sugiyama isn't the sole contributor to Dragon Quest, and while it's your money and 100% your right to choose not to buy something for any reason, I feel it's wrong to shun the work of something created by a team of people solely because of the actions of one person, and in this case not even apart of the development team.

2. Because I don't think Sugiyama would allow his music to be released outside of Japan for Smash because of how fucking xenophobic he is, Smash would probably have to commission a bunch of remixes like how the Bayonetta songs had to be remixed into versions without lyrics, which means he wouldn't be getting any royalties because they aren't using his versions of the song.

Sugiyama is that evil, in my opinion. It's not just him being an asshole, he is one of the worst human beings alive. He WILL use his profits to donate to charities and support politicians that promote his horrible ideals.

I don't care how many good people worked on the game, Sugiyama profiting off of it is an instant no-buy for me. Fuck him.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I could see Square wanting more DLC because there is more opportunity for $$$. But they better play ball with tracks and rights in future games.

As for DQ itself I can't say I'm interest, it'll be rather lame if the whole DLC selection is a love letter to Japanese devs.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Plus dragon quest games appear on nintendo consoles, kh does not. If we view this as partly marketing there's a big dq game coming to switch so a dq character makes a ton more sense

Nintendo has had several KH games on its hardware. Chain of Memories, Re. Coded, 358/2 Days, and Dream Drop Distance all appeared on Nintendo.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I could see Square wanting more DLC because there is more opportunity for $$$. But they better play ball with tracks and rights in future games.

As for DQ itself I can't say I'm interest, it'll be rather lame if the whole DLC selection is a love letter to Japanese devs.

Smash as a whole seems to be a love letter to Japanese devs (Rare and Retro being slight exceptions, lol).

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has had several KH games on its hardware. Chain of Memories, Re. Coded, 358/2 Days, and Dream Drop Distance all appeared on Nintendo.

But every single DQ game is on a Nintendo platform, unlike KH. Mainline and spinoffs included (well, practically every spinoffs, there are some PS2 untranslated ones and a few mobile stuff).

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But every single DQ game is on a Nintendo platform, unlike KH. Mainline and spinoffs included (well, practically every spinoffs, there are some PS2 untranslated ones and a few mobile stuff).

Considering the lack of Persona on Nintendo hardware, I don't think that matters so much, lol.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Such weird names. And no mainline games. Wasn't there a kh collection released this year or last? But not released on the switch. Nintendo gets mainline dq games. A dq character makes a ton more sense

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope everything is true. DQ in Smash makes total sense and should happen for years due to it's importance to Nintendo consoles, as a franchise which is the second biggest of SE and in this case, because of Enix getting it's representant.

Oct 27, 2017
London
If P5R is real please be as good as P4 Golden is. Less Makoto-centrism (develop all social links more, have more team friendship events) and also better pacing especially after meeting Haru please.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Such weird names. And no mainline games. Wasn't there a kh collection released this year or last? But not released on the switch. Nintendo gets mainline dq games. A dq character makes a ton more sense

If that were what this was about, we'd all be talking about how Ryu Hayabusa would be perfect for Smash.

(Ryu Hayabusa absolutely would be perfect for Smash. Please, Nintendo?)