• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
https://myanimelist.net/anime/36023/Persona_5_the_Animation

MAL is now saying that the anime will end at episode 26, coming out next Saturday. This is odd because the second ED for the show has showed episode numbers for the 4 episodes following the current one and at the end of this week's episode, the ED went up to #29.
I guess maybe it's tied to the twist or whatever, since we've looped back to the start and we now have the difference with the game with Akechi facing Joker before his arrest.
Never doubt MAL I guess. The ED was part of the subversion!

Seriously, this is really weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's been mentioned in a few places to be the "final" episode. Maybe it's going on hiatus for a season, or just some fake out. I don't see how it's possible for it to be ending here.

Even ignoring the three blu ray volumes left and the episode count, there's still two dungeons to cover.

Oct 25, 2017
So can we talk about how great that new OP was?
Shows off the confidants, gives some much-needed insight into Joker's state of mind, characters shirtless for no real reason, it's got it all!

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite part of the OP was that we've had a placeholder OP for 12 episodes now and we finally get a proper replacement that's actually really good just in time for the anime to end.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't watch the anime but I remember reading that it was supposed to have some divergence from the game's story? So?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't watch the anime but I remember reading that it was supposed to have some divergence from the game's story? So?

I don't see the point of 1-1 adaptations. The best parts of the Persona 1 manga were all the added bits to the protagonist like his backstory and character development within the context of the original story.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually I want to ask: Is the PSP version of Persona 1 worth playing? I know the OST is different but I'm wondering if I'd get anything out of it that I wouldn't from just reading the awesome manga adaptation.

And speaking of Persona 1 I'm listening to the OST while I do some writing and now I need another port with the original OST so this total banger can reach a new generation.

Last edited:

Twookie

Oct 25, 2017
wow you guys weren't kidding. where was this OP all this time?

it really IS really good, i like it a lot

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Too late for that now obviously but I wish the anime had the looser, simpler style of the new OP's train part, rather than alternating between detailed models that don't move much and undetailed models that don't move much.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested in hearing/reading about this anime's production because you can feel from every single pore of the final product that it was an unmitigated disaster behind the scenes. It's the anime equivalent of MGS V chapter 2. It just seems like they were way behind schedule so everything had to be rushed in order to meet deadlines, even the openings. What a mess.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
Actually I want to ask: Is the PSP version of Persona 1 worth playing? I know the OST is different but I'm wondering if I'd get anything out of it that I wouldn't from just reading the awesome manga adaptation.

And speaking of Persona 1 I'm listening to the OST while I do some writing and now I need another port with the original OST so this total banger can reach a new generation.

I personally like Persona 1 as a game, but it requires two playthroughs to see the whole story and it hasn't exactly aged well. The music in both versions is great imo. The PS1 OST is stronger, but the PSP one has it's high points. Though the manga is pretty much the best version of P1. So unless you want to sit through 60 hours of tedious pre-press turn MegaTen gameplay and follow a guide to make sure you get the good ending in both routes, I recommend the manga.

Like, it's a pretty good game but it's definitely my least favorite in the series and it isn't for everybody.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally like Persona 1 as a game, but it requires two playthroughs to see the whole story and it hasn't exactly aged well. The music in both versions is great imo. The PS1 OST is stronger, but the PSP one has it's high points. Though the manga is pretty much the best version of P1. So unless you want to sit through 60 hours of tedious pre-press turn MegaTen gameplay and follow a guide to make sure you get the good ending in both routes, I recommend the manga.

Like, it's a pretty good game but it's definitely my least favorite in the series and it isn't for everybody.

I've played up until the police station with a patch for the music that replaces the music with the original OST, which incidentally is absolutely godlike and probably one of the best gaming soundtracks of all time.

Thus far I'm enamored with the cast, setting and atmosphere. Mark and Eriko were basically immediately lovable, and I love the grounded real world setting of Mikage-Cho and wish we'd get another game doing that instead of sending the cast off to fantasy land. It's hard to explain but there's a very distinct feel between fighting monsters on normal suburban streets vs. fighting them in a demonic, alternate universe art museum.

But the gameplay is... yeah. It's not great. It's even worse than Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, a game I thought had real bad gameplay to begin with.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Caroline & Justine trailer for PQ2. Looks like they're in charge of Persona fusions.

I'm really curious to see how they handle their interactions with the other Velvet Siblings.

So if they fuse and Theo runs the item shop, I wonder what Margaret will do. I'm guessing Elizabeth and Marie will do what they did in Q1.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright made it out of the police station, got some Spell Cards mostly thanks to Mark dancing crazy, and finally got some new Personae.

I think I'm getting the hang of the gameplay and it feels like it's starting to pick up, but the grid movement is a giant pain in the ass. There was a big missed opportunity to modernize the gameplay for P1P at least somewhat; remove the grid, slim down the element table, that kind of thing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I think I'm finally getting the hang of things. Managed to get Eriko right before I'd have been locked into recruiting Ayase. Am I right in thinking I can't buy weapons and armor until after I've
crossed over into the other world?

The only problem I'm having with gameplay right now is leveling up my Persona. Sometimes they rank up twice a fight, other times they won't get new skills period. Also I remember in Persona 2 you could get Personae that were higher leveled than the party, but I guess that doesn't work in this game?

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The summoning level cap is determined by Persona level, which is next to a character's level. Never mind fusing above your level, a character can't even summon above their Persona level, and that's Persona level's only function! I think it's gained if your Persona acts in battle.

Participation-based experience distribution, the grid, the map having encounters, and the extremely high encounter rate really made the game a slog for me and so I haven't finished it despite totally loving everything that isn't battling.

The P2 games just demand a lot less attention and even if some of P1's mechanics weren't removed they would've been smoothed over by fusion skills which already make the games easier.

Also PS1 P1 has my favorite soundtrack in the series and one of my favorites ever. For the most part, it's kinda like Silent Hill featuring Eurodance.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The summoning level cap is determined by Persona level, which is next to a character's level. Never mind fusing above your level, a character can't even summon above their Persona level, and that's Persona level's only function! I think it's gained if your Persona acts in battle.

Participation-based experience distribution, the grid, the map having encounters, and the extremely high encounter rate really made the game a slog for me and so I haven't finished it despite totally loving everything that isn't battling.

P2 just demands a lot less attention and even if some of P1's mechanics weren't removed they would've been smoothed over by fusion skills which already make the games easier.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

And yeah all those things you mentioned are really pulling apart what is otherwise a pretty enjoyable experience. The MC and Maki are sweeping enemies since they have powerful hit-all moves while Nanjo and Mark have nothing, so they're already starting to lag behind. Plus the encounter rate is so high while EXP rewards are kind of pitiful.

But I beat the first real boss and I think I'm getting into it the groove of things. The original OST is top notch and I love the atmosphere and presentation of the whole game. I'm getting used to conversing with demons to get their cards, and I've mostly found a party placement on the grid that makes things work smoothly by putting Maki in the far back and having her spam Arrow Rain and Mark in the center so he can reach enemies with his physical moves.

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No matter how much I like the manga it's not a comparable experience to me so the barriers to fully enjoying the game make me extra sad. I want a remake for P1 more than any other game, preferably with a soundtrack based on the original.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No matter how much I like the manga it's not a comparable experience to me so the barriers to fully enjoying the game make me extra sad. I want a remake for P1 more than any other game, preferably with a soundtrack based on the original.

Aww, the manga is basically perfect as far as I'm concerned. Admittedly it's not as immersive as a full-on dozens of hours RPG but there's a lot added to it that I genuinely adore and makes up core aspects of what I view as "Persona 1", especially in regards to the main character and how the manga fleshed him out. I'd kill for an official release.

Mostly I like it because there's a fanservice bathhouse scene that is entirely focused on the dudes.

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aww, the manga is basically perfect as far as I'm concerned. Admittedly it's not as immersive as a full-on dozens of hours RPG but there's a lot added to it that I genuinely adore and makes up core aspects of what I view as "Persona 1", especially in regards to the main character and how the manga fleshed him out. I'd kill for an official release.

Mostly I like it because there's a fanservice bathhouse scene that is entirely focused on the dudes.
I just meant that it's a different experience and I value what the game offers enough that I wish I didn't need immense patience for it.

An official English release would make me giddy as a schoolgirl!

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
My room mate might be getting sick and I'm going on vacation Wednesday do I took some NyQuil and came up with something while falling asleep.

I think P5 will be ported to Switch as it's a hugely popular system and likely to sell more copies than a FES/Golden on PS4. If ported to the Switch then the main feature of the game will be portability, and with the Tokyo subway a major feature in the game I think we could see the rerelease titled/themed around the red line of the Tokyo Subway which a quick google search shows is Marunouchi Line.

So P5 Red Line confirmed.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gave Gozu-Tennoh to Mark and he suddenly became my best character.

What even.

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on fusing the MVP! That's part of why I wanted him to appear in P5 with his Nocturne design, whether he was as good or not. It would've just felt nice!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on fusing the MVP! That's part of why I wanted him to appear in P5 with his Nocturne design, whether he was as good or not. It would've just felt nice!

It's nuts. Unless it specifically nulls Nuclear then Megido destroys them, even if they resist it, and for everything else there's Toxic Sting. He's tearing through mobs and guzzling EXP.

I also adore the design of Gozu-Tennoh, and really just love all the primal, violent designs the Personae got in this game. They look like an id given form, and I prefer the mystical and dangerous feel to them than the sleek, cyberpunk look they got in Persona 2, and the designs from 3 and on.