• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're about equal, if we're being honest.

Hard disagree

In terms of writing, progression and character development they don't compare.

To be blunt, none of the P5 ones reach the highs of say, Yosuke's rank 8-9. And none of the P4 social links reach the lows of "Kamoshida 2" expositing to some guy out loud how about he's going to be a bad guy again" in Ryuji's Confidant either.

But even if you disregard the writing, they're nowhere near as fun (P4 social links do a better job of simulating "hanging out with friends" than party member Confidant's), and most crucial of all, the P4 party member social links are largely about the party members. P5 tends to split the focus between the character and some 3rd party (track team, mika, Futaba's friend, eiko, etc) and it hurts the experience for me, because I want to know more about the character. Their hopes, their struggles, their insecurities... everything.

Seriously, just watch this scene play out and tell me with a straight face that any of P5's party members confidants match it in terms of... anything.

I also think the non-party member social links were far better than the non-party member Confidants. Largely due to the fact that all Confidant's mostly play out and resolve in the same way, which really hurts experiencing them because there's never a surprise or variation. At some point you'll hit a roadblock that must be solved by Phantom Thievery and it's... it's not that great.

Also Ai alone stomps all of the Confidants, lol.

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the ones in 5 outside of the party members more than 4's honestly, and even then Rise's and Yukiko's were extremely forgettable

The only one I'd really say was bad in 5 was Makoto, which is a shame because she's probably my favourite character outside of that

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The average party level in 5 is nonsense, I've done quite a bit of unnecessary fighting in mementos and somehow I'm 6 levels under the average at the end of the 7th palace, and I'm at least a few levels higher than I was at this point last time as well...

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the cross franchise interactions.

Yukiko wants to be a witch huh?

Also Yosuke stop flirting with the married woman.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Hanged Man is among the best links in P4, and it infuriates me how little attention it gets, because it's basically a proto-P5 link in how it tackles the idea that the Japanese public have terrible ideas about how to manage the feelings of individuals.
Definitely. Hanged Man is one of my absolute favourite plot threads in P4 and I agree it should get far more attention. Now let me go imagine a game where Naoki is a party member.

daevious

Oct 25, 2017
To be blunt, none of the P5 ones reach the highs of say, Yosuke's rank 8-9. And none of the P4 social links reach the lows of "Kamoshida 2" expositing to some guy out loud how about he's going to be a bad guy again" in Ryuji's Confidant either.

I actually like that one, because it gives Ryuji an opportunity to face the same hurdle. The fact he actually took initiative to nip that problem before it could harm anyone AND that he did it without using violence shows how Ruyji learnt from his past mistakes.

(P4 social links do a better job of simulating "hanging out with friends" than party member Confidant's)

And that's why I like P5's confidants a lot more than P4's, because the higher stakes involved help to reinforce how high the stakes are while also using them to highlight issues in Japan that the main game can't get around to.

For P4, hanging around with friends absolutely fits with the laxer downtime between the kidnappings. The P5 gang, however, has shit that gotta get done, and so the fact they their free time isn't as blatantly about nothing highlights the different between P4's country setting, and P5's metropolis setting.

...the P4 party member social links are largely about the party members. P5 tends to split the focus between the character and some 3rd party (track team, mika, Futaba's friend, eiko, etc) and it hurts the experience for me, because I want to know more about the character. Their hopes, their struggles, their insecurities... everything.

Seriously, just watch this scene play out and tell me with a straight face that any of P5's party members confidants match it in terms of... anything.

Easy, Yusuke's rank 9 is one of the most powerful scenes in the game, and it wouldn't work half as well if Ann and Ryuji weren't there to guide him in the right direction.

I also think the non-party member social links were far better than the non-party member Confidants. Largely due to the fact that all Confidant's mostly play out and resolve in the same way, which really hurts experiencing them because there's never a surprise or variation. At some point you'll hit a roadblock that must be solved by Phantom Thievery and it's... it's not that great.

Every P4 party member is an archetype, their shadows are about how society forces them into that archetype and how it internally paralyzes them, and the S-Link scenes are about how they can live as those archetypes in a way that is healthier for their well being.

You'll forgive me if I find criticisms like that are hollow, and you'll forgive me if I find the fact you have to be surprised by an S-Link to find any value in it a sign of shallow insight.

Also Ai alone stomps all of the Confidants, lol.

And she is, in turn, beaten out by Toranosuke, Hifumi, and Haru.

She's one of my favourites too, and definitely the best link in P4, but the Confidants are more consistent and, more importantly, more consistent with their games themes.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love the character progression in the social links in P5. I love how Ryuji goes from being in the track team to being in the track team, and how Ann transitions from being a model into being a model.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I love the character progression in the social links in P5. I love how Ryuji goes from being in the track team to being in the track team, and how Ann transitions from being a model into being a model.
Hobbies and occupations aren't character progression. Most Persona characters have consistent hobbies and occupations.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I really felt like either P3, P4 or P5 particularly excelled at the S. Link/ Confidant stories, myself. Looking back, most of them (across all games) were disappointing.

That one girl in P3P (Sayori?), Akinari, Kanji, Yoshida and Tae are standouts for me in terms of stories I thought were well-written.

and I love the Shinjiro/FeMC romance storyline lol.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Running club then? Whatever, he ran around.
At the start of the game, Ryuji is a disgraced ex-member of the track team (which has disbanded) and can no longer run because of an injury. The track team eventually starts up again, however Ryuji does not join it. A lot of time is spent on how he is not able to run as well as he once did, is no longer a star athlete, and what his injury, expulsion from the team and disgraced reputation mean with regards his self-image and place among his peers.

Personally, this is also why I think his misguided desire for positive attention relating to the activity of the Phantom Thieves is something that the player should easily sympathize with, even though many seem not to. He's an underachiever and outcast with more limited options ahead of him than the rest of the cast, who's had the thing he was good at taken away from him, and he wants to be the star again and prove people wrong.

Ryuji...is a good and interesting character.

7c15994febfaeb9f21d26cc9edc364559c0cf2cc_hq.jpg

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When and how did y'all get into Persona?

It was pretty much by chance. I'd only seen a brief clip of the X-Play review of 3 and read an article about FES. But it passed from my mind quickly.

I picked FES up on a whim at Gamestop and pretty much fell in love. Can't remember exactly when but it was before 4 was announced.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'd played some other Megaten games (Strange Journey, DDS) and had always heard really good things about the series. This was post-P4 when the PS2 games were recognised as being essential late PS2 games, but I'd missed them completely as I think I'd stopped gaming at that point (I'd left home and had a tighter budget and less time).

I played P1 first. Oop. I actually quite like it, but you can imagine how much different modern Person felt when I got to it.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I'd already played Digital Devil Saga and liked it so I went out and bought P3 and Lucifer's Call (Nocturne). Why I played DDS in the first place I don't remember

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I got into Persona last year just after the launch of P5.
I was familiar with the name after hearing people compare Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth and Tokyo Mirage Sessions to it but I didn't know anything about the series.
After seeing all the hype online around the launch of P5 and a couple of YouTube ads, I decided to listen to the soundtrack and do a little bit of research into the series.
I fell in love with the OST, bought P5 and subsequently got completely hooked on Persona after playing it. After finishing P5 I bought a Vita, worked my way backwords through the series and have basically had at least one Persona game on the go since.

Oct 25, 2017
Had already played Devil Survivor, saw Persona 4 in a shop (which was amazingly lucky by itself with how rare Atlus games in the UK are) and that it was part of the same series so impulse bought it.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Not to beat a dead horse: P4 is about self realization and coming to terms with ones true self (and the negative emotions surrounding that). P5 is way more about outside forces and control. So the P4 slinks will always be more personal and introspective than P5's themes of control. If I'd put it another way: P4 is more about reflection and doubt and P5 is about power and external pressures.

That being said i find P4's slinks fit the Persona theme better overall and I like the introspective tone more. (Lest we forget the P4 slink complaint about super Senpai who comes in to solves everyone's issues?)

Also Ryuji is amazing and way deeper than we give him credit for.

Giant Bomb talked about it forever in reguards to the Vita. Once I had the Vita it was a spur of the moment decision to pick up P4G. Took me a bit to get through the intro then fell down the rabbit hole and quickly played P3P.

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The only major complaint I have with the confidants is the "you're a phantom thief aren't you?" they all come out with in the final scene, felt completely unnecessary

daevious

Oct 25, 2017
If they didn't, we'd all be complaining about how stupid they are for not noticing that their problems are mysteriously solved once they started hanging out with this weird, cat-obsessed teenager.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
The only major complaint I have with the confidants is the "you're a phantom thief aren't you?" they all come out with in the final scene, felt completely unnecessary

First time it happened for me I was like "oh shit the jig is up!"

If they didn't, we'd all be complaining about how stupid they are for not noticing that their problems are mysteriously solved once they started hanging out with this weird, cat-obsessed teenager.

QFT

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More scruffy AU. This time Ann and Shiho.
tumblr_pd4vp8aWXT1qlu9j7o1_1280.png

Source:http://scruffyturtles.tumblr.com/post/176770804629/scruffyturtles-after-a-while-of-focusing-on-the

I actually find the backstory pretty interesting.
Ann and Shiho were still friends in high school way back then, the latter accepting Ann despite her Caucasian looks and helping deter her bullies. A relationship formed sometime in their college years, though their careers forced them to keep it a secret.

Ann used to be a prominent model, along with Shiho who held a career as a volleyball coach at Shujin High. After a blackmail situation thanks to a certain student, Shiho was forced to quit and the nature of her relationship with Ann was brought to the surface, which also ended up ruining Ann's modeling career. However, not long after the debacle, Ann was able to find a niche in acting by playing over the top villains on TV shows and movies. Her popularity soared once more in this better environment. Shiho also found a better job in being a personal trailer for the many stunt doubles and action based actors that Ann worked with. Despite the past, Shiho wants to reconnect with some of her old students one day.

Interesting twist to the Kamoshida situation.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Last year. Was hanging with a friend and he wanted me to try P5 out, I got hooked immediately and got three hours deep. The next week, I bought a PS4 so that I could play it.

It is without a doubt my favorite piece of entertainment I have ever consumed. I wish I could go back and play it blind again.

Then I bought a PSTV and played P4 Golden since I loved P5 so much. Not as magical as P5 to me, but still a great ride.

Still gotta play P3...

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the answers people! It's really interesting to see.

Personally, I tried the P4 anime because Greg Miller talked about P4G a lot but I didn't like turn-based games at the time (besides Pokemon for multiple reasons) and I liked the anime a lot to the point of rewatching it over and over again. Then P5 came out and because of all the praise it got, I thought about trying it out despite it being turn-based and just putting it on Easy to enjoy everything that isn't the combat and I ended up loving it a lot (my favorite game ever at this point actually), including the combat that I thought I wouldn't like at all.
After that I actually tried P4G but after completing the first dungeon I wasn't feeling it and stopped so I guess the exciting visual presentation and snappy nature of the P5 combat helped me enjoy turn-based more (at this point the turn-based RPGs I can play are Pokemon, P5 and then Octopath Traveler, that one probably because it moves pretty fast and is well presented too). Then I watched the P3 movies and love those too.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
My story actually starts with The World Ends With You. I loved it and it was the game that cemented RPGs for me as a genre that I actually liked, having had mixed results with the ones I tried previously. I either stumbled into or was recommended Devil Survivor Overclocked based on it having superficial similarities (trapped in Tokyo for seven days, escape or resolve the catastrophe in time or die), and I ended up loving it. I had heard passing mention of SMT on the Internet before, so I started looking into the series. The next one I had easy access to was Strange Journey on the DS, so I played that. After that I was completely smitten with the series as a whole. I knew the PS2 games were highly regarded, and I knew that Persona was some kind of spinoff, even though I didn't know very much about it, but I saw that the majority of the PS2 games had undergone a reprint relatively recently, so everything other than the Raidou games was about $20. I went and bought myself a used PS2 and ordered a copy of every single PS2 Megami Tensei title except the Raidou games and played them all in a row over a few months.

It was a good few months.

At the start of the game, Ryuji is a disgraced ex-member of the track team (which has disbanded) and can no longer run because of an injury. The track team eventually starts up again, however Ryuji does not join it. A lot of time is spent on how he is not able to run as well as he once did, is no longer a star athlete, and what his injury, expulsion from the team and disgraced reputation mean with regards his self-image and place among his peers.

Personally, this is also why I think his misguided desire for positive attention relating to the activity of the Phantom Thieves is something that the player should easily sympathize with, even though many seem not to. He's an underachiever and outcast with more limited options ahead of him than the rest of the cast, who's had the thing he was good at taken away from him, and he wants to be the star again and prove people wrong.

Ryuji...is a good and interesting character.

7c15994febfaeb9f21d26cc9edc364559c0cf2cc_hq.jpg
Good post.

Jul 24, 2018
So who is this "Makoto Kitajo" all the news media is claiming to be the composer for Persona Q1 and 2. Did they mistake Atsushi Kitajoh's name with someone else?

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Last summer. My long time fighting game friend had gotten the game on a whim at his local store and was completely wowed by it. I really hadn't played a JRPG since Skies of Arcadia Legends on Gamecube but had always admired the character designs, especially when the Persona 4 Arena games still had a competitive scene in the US. My friend's raving of how well done the game piqued my interest, but what clinched it for me what when he got to the fifth dungeon and noted the similarities between Haru and Yurika Kirishima of Project Justice (she's the character in my avatar, and my favorite character in video games). I picked up a PS3 copy and after I got back from Evo last year went full bore into the game, and down the rabbit hole into the whole fandom.

Nachos

Oct 26, 2017
Is Soejima doing the character artwork for Q2? Something about them seems a little different.

Also, the party select screen shows you what elements your party covers, which is nice. And they're using the old demon artwork instead of Q's demon renders for the status screens, which seems a bit weird.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is Soejima doing the character artwork for Q2? Something about them seems a little different.

Also, the party select screen shows you want elements your party covers, which is nice. And they're using the old demon artwork instead of Q's demon renders for the status screens, which seems a bit weird.

I would suspect that Soejima doesn't have that much involvement, if any, seeing as he didn't with the dancing games. Most recent Persona artwork seems to be more collaborative between the P-Studio Art Team members.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
It was pretty much by chance. I'd only seen a brief clip of the X-Play review of 3 and read an article about FES. But it passed from my mind quickly.

I picked FES up on a whim at Gamestop and pretty much fell in love. Can't remember exactly when but it was before 4 was announced.

I have the exact same story! Vague memories of an XPlay review and then a GameStop trip.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually like that one, because it gives Ryuji an opportunity to face the same hurdle. The fact he actually took initiative to nip that problem before it could harm anyone AND that he did it without using violence shows how Ruyji learnt from his past mistakes.

Oh don't get me wrong, I liked that aspect of the Confidant too. But I'm specifically referencing the writing quality of it, or rather, this scene in particular:

Suffice it to say, it really took me out of the Confidant when it went down this route. Persona 5 has a problem with characters expositing dialogue and pretending like it's a normal thing. The main game suffers from it, but when the Confidants occasionally indulge in it it's not great. I think, more importantly, the writing just doesn't draw me in like it did in Persona 4. Even the ones that are written well-enough, like Makoto's confidant are just kinda... dull. I'm sure the lackluster localization certainly didn't help in any regard, which is really unfortunate.

And that's why I like P5's confidants a lot more than P4's, because the higher stakes involved help to reinforce how high the stakes are while also using them to highlight issues in Japan that the main game can't get around to.

I'm talking about the party member Confidant's in this instance, and specifically about those downtime moments you just described. They're not as common, but still present (Ann and Yusuke actually have a lot of great ones), but for they just don't land as hard in P5. Moments like Yosuke in your room or eating ramen with Kanji or "training" with Chie... the P5 equivalents are not as good. And I say this despite preferring the P5 characters over the P4 ones, so it's not a bias thing. I just don't enjoy spending time with them nearly as much.

Easy, Yusuke's rank 9 is one of the most powerful scenes in the game, and it wouldn't work half as well if Ann and Ryuji weren't there to guide him in the right direction.

Yusuke's is certainly pretty great and I love how his friends are present in his Confidant. Character integration in Confidant storylines is an aspect of P5 blows P4 out of the water, though still not explored to the degree that I would have liked. Still, Yusuke's Confidant is undeniably one of the shining stars of that game. It has all of the aspects of a great Confidant storyline. You get the fun moments, the connection, emotional moments and satisfying conclusion. No cheap mementos solution or egregiously bad writing; its relatively grounded nature really makes it hit hard.

Every P4 party member is an archetype, their shadows are about how society forces them into that archetype and how it internally paralyzes them, and the S-Link scenes are about how they can live as those archetypes in a way that is healthier for their well being.

You'll forgive me if I find criticisms like that are hollow, and you'll forgive me if I find the fact you have to be surprised by an S-Link to find any value in it a sign of shallow insight.

Your reductive breakdown of how P4 party member social links play out doesn't change the fact that they still have more variance than how Confidant's progress in P5.Most of the P5 confidants converge towards dealing with the solution via Mementos, on top of also following a similar structure (ie: person loses their place in society, struggles to deal with it, needs help). I can approach the vast majority of Confidant with the thought that the core problem will ultimately be solved by Phantom Thievery, and it's not as interesting for me (also you didn't talk about the non-party member social links, which are more varied than the party member ones).

And she is, in turn, beaten out by Toranosuke, Hifumi, and Haru.

She's one of my favourites too, and definitely the best link in P4, but the Confidants are more consistent and, more importantly, more consistent with their games themes.

I don't agree, but I can see your point. Those 3 are definitely some of the stronger Confidants; Tora avoids the Mementos trap, and is just really fantastic and emotional all around. Haru, in particular, has that personal connection factor that makes social links so enticing that just isn't present in most of the other Confidant's, and Hifumi's is also great and genuinely subservice (barring the obnoxious trip to Mementos).

I don't agree with consistency comment, though. There are some Confidant's that are blatantly not... great. Like Chihaya's Confidant straight up sucks and others like Tae just disappoint in how they eventually play out (kind of hard to take a storyline seriously when they go with the "actually they were alive the entire time" trope). Others like Tae, Shinya, Ichiko, etc are good, but not on the level of the ones you mentioned and certainly not on par with Persona 4's.

It's just hard to get connected with most of these characters. Though going over some of them, the ratio of "good-to-bad" Confidant's is a lot better than I remembered. But yeah, I think it's a problem when I feel more emotionally connected to the single mother in P4 than I do with like say... Kawakami (though her confidant is just plain funny).

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding memorable confidant scenes, I'd like to vouch for Ann's level 9 confidant scene. She has the worst storyline out of all the party members by far (and possibly the whole game) but that rooftop scene with Shiho is really good.

I also loved Toranosuke's speech, and Iwai's confidant was pretty good in general, so I disagree with the notion that P5's confidants are less memorable or don't feature any powerful moments. I think both games are fairly even for me in regards to SLinks, but I might give the nod to 4 just for Nanako and Dojima. Sojiro is great and all but tbh I can barely remember how his confidant went. I also really, really liked the Death old lady in P4 even though I don't often see people mentioning her. P4 does have the lowest lows though as I can't remember a single P5 confidant as boring as P4's Devil. It starts well enough but gets progressively duller until it just ends on a whimper.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, just crossposting myself since the P3D/P5D threads appear to be dead. I've been playing a lot of it when I can (which is typically once, maybe twice a week lately), pushing for a platinum trophy on both eventually.

I managed to be the first person on the leaderboards to play the Persona Q songs on P5D, lol

Why is this so long

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just realized something about Persona Q2.
This will technically be the first time in a modern Persona game where you can have a full party of Wild Cards.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Are there P3D/P5D arcade machines? I played Maimai MiLK Plus when I was in Tokyo and I absolutely adored it, would've been fun to play some Persona tracks. Although RIP me when these kids with their own arcade machine gloves played after me and didn't miss anything on super ultra hard advance nightmare mode or whatever. The Tower confidant lives!

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
This will technically be the first time in a modern Persona game where you can have a full party of Wild Cards.

Are you counting
Akechi
in that?

I can't remember if they say exactly why he has more than one Persona

edit - I guess you could include Aigis as well

Oct 25, 2017

In PQ1 everyone had the wild card ability

Are there P3D/P5D arcade machines? I played Maimai MiLK Plus when I was in Tokyo and I absolutely adored it, would've been fun to play some Persona tracks. Although RIP me when these kids with their own arcade machine gloves played after me and didn't miss anything on super ultra hard advance nightmare mode or whatever. The Tower confidant lives!

Not for 3/5D that I know of. Other arcade machines have some P4D tracks though.