• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hell it's what makes that "I don't like going to bat for giant corporations but imma do it here" bit silly because what are we "going to bat" for? Someone saying "this small thing feels weird whatever I'm buying"? Is that how low we set the bar?
I mean I didn't say I was gonna buy it, but sure. What I said was that even though publishers don't need any defending, expecting free content because they finished making it is extremely unrealistic and silly. Seems like you're misunderstanding how/why DLC is funded and produced to begin with, which may be creating the confusion.
That's not how DLC works. There is no time period after which DLC becomes part of the budgetary limits under which the original game was produced. It is a separate entity produced under a separate budget with separate revenue expectations. Sure, packaged releases with baked-in DLC exist, but these are generally either a second or third release within a given region in an attempt to encourage late adoption, or games with such poor expectations that they don't think they can attract an audience without taking a loss.
Yeah this.

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I didn't say I was gonna buy it, but sure
I know...I'm the one who said that (you're the one who begrudgingly went to bat for a company because someone, me, said that), which presumably you'd know cause you'd have actually read my post before commenting on it.
expecting free content because they finished making it is extremely unrealistic.
I know...I never said I expected it (and which I've made clear twice now), which presumably you'd know cause you'd have actually read my post before commenting on it.
Seems like you're misunderstanding how DLC is funded and produced to begin with, which may be creating the confusion.
I know how budgets work, I didn't even bring that up or even put that in question because as I've already said, I didn't claim that Atlus had no right to do and I didn't claim it was a dumb move. Only that it felt weird because it's one case of DLC among many others and thus can have its own interpretation.

Like damn I try and read y'alls posts before I reply.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
In P3 FES is there a way to tell if you can advance a social link by spending time with someone?

I keep spending time with people when they have an exclamation mark over their head only to get a 'you might get closer soon' type event

I feel like because of that I'm wasting so many days

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
In P3 FES is there a way to tell if you can advance a social link by spending time with someone?

I keep spending time with people when they have an exclamation mark over their head only to get a 'you might get closer soon' type event

I feel like because of that I'm wasting so many days
It's largely a function of how many points you earned on the last interaction with them that determines if you have enough points to level up the link. This is entirely having a persona of the right arcana equipped beforehand and answering prompts correctly.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
Oh man Japanese Goro sounds so funny after eating the special takoyaki lmao

Also Ann/Chie unison attack from a game sneak peek (also has FeMC introduction)

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's largely a function of how many points you earned on the last interaction with them that determines if you have enough points to level up the link. This is entirely having a persona of the right arcana equipped beforehand and answering prompts correctly.
Don't forget that phone calls to set up dates ALSO reward S.Link points and ALSO get a bonus if you have the matching arcana -- you can literally miss a rank-up event by 2 points because you didn't have the arcana the night before!

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK

I'm not sure I understand, what points?

Sometimes I talk to someone, get an arcana rank up and a story section, and then the next time I talk to them, it's just a generic "you may get closer soon"

Sometimes I can talk to someone 2 or 3 times and only get the "you may get closer soon" outcome, which makes me feel like I'm wasting time because had I spoken to someone else maybe I'd have got their rank up

My only guess is after you rank up with someone you need X amount of time to pass before you can get them to level up again, but even only speaking to people I've not leveled up in a while seems inconsistent

How important is it to have a ton of links maxed at 10 for the end game?

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
I'm not sure I understand, what points?

Sometimes I talk to someone, get an arcana rank up and a story section, and then the next time I talk to them, it's just a generic "you may get closer soon"

Sometimes I can talk to someone 2 or 3 times and only get the "you may get closer soon" outcome, which makes me feel like I'm wasting time because had I spoken to someone else maybe I'd have got their rank up

My only guess is after you rank up with someone you need X amount of time to pass before you can get them to level up again, but even only speaking to people I've not leveled up in a while seems inconsistent

How important is it to have a ton of links maxed at 10 for the end game?

When you do an S.Link, the responses that you give have a point value allotted to them, usually 0-3 and indicated by the music notes you see. In order to get a rank up quicker, you should be aiming for the best responses. Also having a persona of the arcana that you are interacting with gives your point value a boost.

That being said, you literally dont need to do ANY of them at all for endgame. All they do is give you an xp boost on fusion, you can go the whole game without doing a single one if you wanted to.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
When you do an S.Link, the responses that you give have a point value allotted to them, usually 0-3 and indicated by the music notes you see. In order to get a rank up quicker, you should be aiming for the best responses. Also having a persona of the arcana that you are interacting with gives your point value a boost.

That being said, you literally dont need to do ANY of them at all for endgame. All they do is give you an xp boost on fusion, you can go the whole game without doing a single one if you wanted to.

I know that when you speak to someone and it triggers a story scene and you get options, you need to answer correctly to get a level up, but I'm talking about when you're not given that option because it immediately cuts to you sitting with the person and a message "you may be closer soon" appears, followed by time moving forwards

Unless you're saying you need to do well with the questions when you get a story section in order for the next one to trigger after that? In which case if you mess up the options how do you then avoid getting "you may be closer soon" the next time you talk to them?

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I know that when you speak to someone and it triggers a story scene and you get options, you need to answer correctly to get a level up, but I'm talking about when you're not given that option because it immediately cuts to you sitting with the person and a message "you may be closer soon" appears, followed by time moving forwards

Unless you're saying you need to do well with the questions when you get a story section in order for the next one to trigger after that? In which case if you mess up the options how do you then avoid getting "you may be closer soon" the next time you talk to them?
If you don't get enough points with the dialogue sequence, you'll get the general "spent some time together" sequence, where you'll get more points (a fixed amount, more if you have the correct Persona iirc); once you get enough you'll get the next level. Something like that.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you don't get enough points with the dialogue sequence, you'll get the general "spent some time together" sequence, where you'll get more points (a fixed amount, more if you have the correct Persona iirc); once you get enough you'll get the next level. Something like that.

Ah I see

So even the generic scenes at least give you points towards the next level, so it's not wasted time, which is what I had assumed

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Ah I see

So even the generic scenes at least give you points towards the next level, so it's not wasted time, which is what I had assumed
Exactly, you need those generic scenes in order to progress. The better you do with dialogue choices (and having the proper Persona) the less of those you'll see (and the less in-game-time you'll "waste", so to speak).

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Exactly, you need those generic scenes in order to progress. The better you do with dialogue choices (and having the proper Persona) the less of those you'll see (and the less in-game-time you'll "waste", so to speak).

Nice, thanks

I'm pretty deep into the game (55 hours) and it's been quite easy for a while now (I've not died in 20 hours) but I'm aware the end game is apparently quite hard so I want to ensure I'm prepared, and I think I only have 2/3 shadows left (it's mid September and the typhoon just hit)

I'm level 52 so hopefully I have time to grind to the mid 70s (I think someone here recommended that as a good level to beat the game)

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Nice, thanks

I'm pretty deep into the game (55 hours) and it's been quite easy for a while now (I've not died in 20 hours) but I'm aware the end game is apparently quite hard so I want to ensure I'm prepared, and I think I only have 2/3 shadows left (it's mid September and the typhoon just hit)

I'm level 52 so hopefully I have time to grind to the mid 70s (I think someone here recommended that as a good level to beat the game)
You should be fine without grinding tbh. You'll get the levels you need naturally. The endgame is more about preparation than anything, you could have everyone at level 99, but if you dont have the right status/elemental defence, you could be in for a bad time.

shazla

Oct 28, 2017
Heya friends, are there any really juicy journalistic articles about the history of the franchise, and its development? ( Not just the wiki page?). I've looked through the first few threads but its seems everyone already has quite an established knowledge so its hard to get into meat of things straight up!

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

45891389_481843909003098_646949635306291200_n.jpg

(tho it was actually 8:19 over here) Persona 5 remains of my favorite games~ Now to keep enjoying the rest of the NG+; Now that I have both this one and P4D, I would like to try out P4G but the Rise trophy still scares me... Maybe it'll be P3D/P5D next lol

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

45891389_481843909003098_646949635306291200_n.jpg

(tho it was actually 8:19 over here) Persona 5 remains of my favorite games~ Now to keep enjoying the rest of the NG+; Now that I have both this one and P4D, I would like to try out P4G but the Rise trophy still scares me... Maybe it'll be P3D/P5D next lol
Congrats!
Ann's PQ2 trailer is here:

And with that everyone has had their trailer released!

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is there anything bad that can happen if I keep fighting while tired if my party are all ok in P3 FES?

I get tired after a while but as I keep switching my party up they never tire, so they could probably carry me for a bit, but currently I'm leaving the soon as I get tired

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Is there anything bad that can happen if I keep fighting while tired if my party are all ok in P3 FES?

I get tired after a while but as I keep switching my party up they never tire, so they could probably carry me for a bit, but currently I'm leaving the soon as I get tired
It's been a while since I played, but I think that Tired status makes your characters miss more often with physical attacks and also makes them more susceptible to status effects

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

"anything bad that can happen" is basically P3 in a nutshell

Per the Megami Tensei wiki, tired status means a character is more likely to miss, takes more damage, and has trouble recovering when knocked down. These are all things you can work around, but you have to be more careful if your team is tired, and things can go south very quickly.

I did every exploration section in one night as often as I could manage it, then just kept leveling until I had no party members left. (Sometimes, I'd then just go back in alone and level some more.)

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's been a while since I played, but I think that Tired status makes your characters miss more often with physical attacks and also makes them more susceptible to status effects

"anything bad that can happen" is basically P3 in a nutshell

Per the Megami Tensei wiki, tired status means a character is more likely to miss, takes more damage, and has trouble recovering when knocked down. These are all things you can work around, but you have to be more careful if your team is tired, and things can go south very quickly.

I did every exploration section in one night as often as I could manage it, then just kept leveling until I had no party members left. (Sometimes, I'd then just go back in alone and level some more.)

Yeah I know you miss more, but if it's just the MC who is tired and everyone else is fresh they can probably carry me, so I just wanted to check if I do that and keep fighting while I'm tired, until a few of the others get tired, is that going to mean I take longer to recover or will it remain 1/2 days?

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know you miss more, but if it's just the MC who is tired and everyone else is fresh they can probably carry me, so I just wanted to check if I do that and keep fighting while I'm tired, until a few of the others get tired, is that going to mean I take longer to recover or will it remain 1/2 days?
I don't think you get -more- tired once you're already there, no. Don't forget to visit the nurse's office in school while tired or sick.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Recovery time should always be the same. It doesn't matter how long you fight tired for.

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Understand that the MC can be "fixed" from Tired/Sick, but a Tired teammate can become Sick (or recover) so you're risking benching yourself for the next two nights.

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally beat P5. Took me almost a year. My goodness that was such a great game. I believe I got the true ending. I really need to figure out a cheap way to play P1,2,3.

I started playing Persona Q, and I have been so crappy at the game and going so damn slow that I put it in Safety mode to grind up a few levels for wiggle room (I get it, I am a scrub at this game), but so far I really like the story. I am to what I believe is the boss door in the first dungeon (playing as P4 cast), and I really am loving it so far. It just feels so polished right now

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
So I finally beat P5. Took me almost a year. My goodness that was such a great game. I believe I got the true ending. I really need to figure out a cheap way to play P1,2,3.

I started playing Persona Q, and I have been so crappy at the game and going so damn slow that I put it in Safety mode to grind up a few levels for wiggle room (I get it, I am a scrub at this game), but so far I really like the story. I am to what I believe is the boss door in the first dungeon (playing as P4 cast), and I really am loving it so far. It just feels so polished right now

Probably the PSTV in regards to P1-3.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I've been listening to the P3 audio dramas for the first time recently and they are fantastic. (subbed Youtube Playlist here)
I haven't listened to the two P3P ones yet but the amount of additional character development these give is amazing.
The best one I've listened to so far is the two part New Moon/Full Moon drama. This takes place after the events that happen on Nov 4th in the main game and adds a lot of additional character moments that would've been great to see in the game, including interactions with Chihiro and Hidetoshi with Yukari.
The drama focuses on Mitsuru and the aftermath of her father's death. Mitsuru has left the dorm to attend her father's funeral and spends some time back home with her mother, the Kirijo group, and her maid and childhood friend Kikuno. I won't dive too much further into plot but I will mention some of my highlights:
- Yukari's ringtone is Burn My Dread.
- Makoto/Minato and Pharos get additional development, with Makoto feeling ill as Pharos begins to awaken as Ryoji.
- With Mitsuru being away and Makoto out of action, Akihiko does a fantastic job stepping up as a leader.
- Fuuka does a great job snooping through Ikutsuki's computer, establishing a way to contact Aigis (who had returned to the lab, feeling troubled by the fact that she had endangered her friends lives) and recovering the true video of Yukari's father's last moments.
- Mitsuru, feeling very depressed and suicidal, phones Yukari to say 'Please take care of yourself. That's all. Bye, Yukari'
- Once Yukari realises that Mitsuru's words are similar to her father's last words, she dashes off to stop Mitsuru from doing anything stupid.
- I'm not 100% sure on whether this is a dream or a flashback, but there's a scene with Yukari and Mitsuru as children that has Yukari trying to get Mitsuru to stop being stubborn and ask for help.
- Yukari managed to track down Mitsuru because her mother lives in the same area and the number Mitsuru used was similar to Yukari's mother's number.
- Aigis freezes at an important moment due to her fear of hurting people and it's Pharos who snaps her out of it.
- Junpei and Chidori get a couple of nice moments.
- There's an epic rescue scene with Makoto, Akihiko, and Ken protecting Yukari as she tries to shoot down a helicopter that's been taken over by a shadow.
- At the end while talking to Chihiro and Hidetoshi who are saying Mitsuru seems to be back to normal, Yukari says that it's not that easy to overcome the lose of someone and 'If it comes to that, I'll even slap her to make her snap out of it!' which is a nice reference to what happens in Kyoto
The other audio dramas are really good too. The Daylight/Moonlight one has great story while I also really like Character Drama vol. 2 (focuses on Junpei and Chidori), vol. 4 (focuses on the extra summer lessons Mitsuru signed everyone up for), and vol. 5 (focuses on Akihiko and Shinjiro).
I love the P3 cast so much.

Last edited:

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I've been listening to the P3 audio dramas for the first time recently and they are fantastic. (subbed Youtube Playlist here)
I haven't listened to the two P3P ones yet but the amount of additional character development these give is amazing.
The best one I've listened to so far is the two part New Moon/Full Moon drama. This takes place after the events that happen on Nov 4th in the main game and adds a lot of additional character moments that would've been great to see in the game, including interactions with Chihiro and Hidetoshi with Yukari.
The drama focuses on Mitsuru and the aftermath of her father's death. Mitsuru has left the dorm to attend her father's funeral and spends some time back home with her mother, the Kirijo group, and her maid and childhood friend Kikuno. I won't dive too much further into plot but I will mention some of my highlights:
- Yukari's ringtone is Burn My Dread.
- Makoto/Minato and Pharos get additional development, with Makoto feeling ill as Pharos begins to awaken as Ryoji.
- With Mitsuru being away and Makoto out of action, Akihiko does a fantastic job stepping up as a leader.
- Fuuka does a great job snooping through Ikutsuki's computer, establishing a way to contact Aigis (who had returned to the lab, feeling troubled by the fact that she had endangered her friends lives) and recovering the true video of Yukari's father's last moments.
- Mitsuru, feeling very depressed and suicidal, phones Yukari to say 'Please take care of yourself. That's all. Bye, Yukari'
- Once Yukari realises that Mitsuru's words are similar to her father's last words, she dashes off to stop Mitsuru from doing anything stupid.
- I'm not 100% sure on whether this is a dream or a flashback, but there's a scene with Yukari and Mitsuru as children that has Yukari trying to get Mitsuru to stop being stubborn and ask for help.
- Yukari managed to track down Mitsuru because her mother lives in the same area and the number Mitsuru used was similar to Yukari's mother's number.
- Aigis freezes at an important moment due to her fear of hurting people and it's Pharos who snaps her out of it.
- Junpei and Chidori get a couple of nice moments.
- There's an epic rescue scene with Makoto, Akihiko, and Ken protecting Yukari as she tries to shoot down a helicopter that's been taken over by a shadow.
- At the end while talking to Chihiro and Hidetoshi who are saying Mitsuru seems to be back to normal, Yukari says that it's not that easy to overcome the lose of someone and 'If it comes to that, I'll even slap her to make her snap out of it!' which is a nice reference to what happens in Kyoto
The other audio dramas are really good too. The Daylight/Moonlight one has great story while I also really like Character Drama vol. 2 (focuses on Junpei and Chidori), vol. 4 (focuses on the extra summer lessons Mitsuru signed everyone up for), and vol. 5 (focuses on Akihiko and Shinjiro).
I love the P3 cast so much.

I have to give these a listen.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
So there was this stream about the second dungeon which features the PT meeting the IT (including P4MC vs P5MC). But from the looks of it, Yosuke isn't with IT by the time you meet them? I was wondering about this since in the Yosuke's trailer he gets excited about the movie theatre while Chie responds unamused that they already got over it, to which Yosuke replies that this is new for him. Probably has to do with the Yosuke dinosaur from the movie trailer lol Wonder if there's anyone from P3 who doesn't join at first like Makoto/Haru and Yosuke.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So there was this stream about the second dungeon which features the PT meeting the IT (including P4MC vs P5MC). But from the looks of it, Yosuke isn't with IT by the time you meet them? I was wondering about this since in the Yosuke's trailer he gets excited about the movie theatre while Chie responds unamused that they already got over it, to which Yosuke replies that this is new for him. Probably has to do with the Yosuke dinosaur from the movie trailer lol Wonder if there's anyone from P3 who doesn't join at first like Makoto/Haru and Yosuke.
For Kamoshidaman: Haru and Makoto are missing; P3 FeMC is recruited.
For Junessic Land: Yosuke is missing (and other problems affecting the IT, like Rise being out of it); Investigation Team is recruited.
For A.I.G.I.S: P3MC and Aigis are missing; SEES is recruited.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else just burned the fuck out on Persona?

P5 was amazing but it just doesn't feel special like P3/P4 did :/

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, I think it's hitting a sour spot. Releases aren't fast enough to be constantly invested, yet there's also too many to make it feel like something special to get too excited for.
Maybe if localization wasn't as slow as it was, I'd be chomping at the bit. Right now I'm just in a state of "oh yeah, PQ2's coming out eventually"

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
For Kamoshidaman: Haru and Makoto are missing; P3 FeMC is recruited.
For Junessic Land: Yosuke is missing (and other problems affecting the IT, like Rise being out of it); Investigation Team is recruited.
For A.I.G.I.S: P3MC and Aigis are missing; SEES is recruited.
Ah thanks for the confirmation!

TFW Atlus decides to lock out three of your planned party members for a while

daevious

Oct 25, 2017

Nope, but that's because I don't really care for the spin-off stuff outside of character interactions.
Main games are the only ones that matter to me, and even then I'm willing to jump ship if both P6 and Project Zero disappoints me.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

There aren't nearly enough releases for me to feel any kind of burnout. It's natural that Persona 5 won't feel special compared to P3 and P4 for you, since you presumably started with one of those and the novelty's been lost. I know people for whom P5 is special, but who didn't enjoy P3 nearly as much going back.

Comes down to them properly innovating for Persona 6. I think P5 is the limit for certain elements within the P3/P4/P5 boundary, and certain things will need to be revamped to make P6 refreshing. There are always things they can do to surprise. No one would have expected P5 to be about phantom thieves.

Overall discourse on the series in the West would probably be more lively if we didn't have to keep being substantially behind in releases compared to Japan, though.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
In P3 FES my MC is level 54 and I'm only at floor 122 I think, am I over leveled or under leveled?

Grinding is starting to get a little tedious

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
In P3 FES my MC is level 54 and I'm only at floor 122 I think, am I over leveled or under leveled?

Grinding is starting to get a little tedious
Neither, you're at about the right level that you need to be for that area of Tartarus.

Also, and I'll say this every time someone brings up the G word, you should NEVER NEED TO GRIND IN A PERSONA GAME. You can easily beat these games by just progressing naturally, you should NEVER need to be grinding out levels, EVER

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Neither, you're at about the right level that you need to be for that area of Tartarus.

Also, and I'll say this every time someone brings up the G word, you should NEVER NEED TO GRIND IN A PERSONA GAME. You can easily beat these games by just progressing naturally, you should NEVER need to be grinding out levels, EVER

Thanks

I'm grinding because I don't want to get stuck between a rock and a hard place if I get to a boss I can't beat, or if I'm too weak for the end boss

I also feel like if I'm not tired I should generally be going to the dungeon, as there isn't much else to do, other than the two social links in the mall, or walking the dog which so far has been pretty pointless

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Thanks

I'm grinding because I don't want to get stuck between a rock and a hard place if I get to a boss I can't beat, or if I'm too weak for the end boss

I also feel like if I'm not tired I should generally be going to the dungeon, as there isn't much else to do, other than the two social links in the mall, or walking the dog which so far has been pretty pointless
Bosses are never about levels really, should be thinking of them as a puzzle rather than a DPS race. If you know a bosses strengths and weaknesses, and are prepared, you can easily defeat bosses without being near their level.

Also, other than a random chance at a s.link boost, walking Koromaru isnt really worth it, especially since they didnt add his S.Link until Portable.