• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Android Sophia

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Your skill choices and party setup are FAR more important than any single level. Especially in Persona 3 where there are bosses that can become completely lopsided against you with the wrong party member, skill, weakness, etc.

Case in point: Look at how easily you can cheese the very first Tartarus boss by simply using a bow on your protagonist. While it never gets that easy again, it's just proof of how the game is designed.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OMG
8qrtgoefjhy11.png

that headpat

Jaya's comics are always good, and yeah, everyone thinking Ann is hot is definitely canon

Anyone else just burned the fuck out on Persona?

P5 was amazing but it just doesn't feel special like P3/P4 did :/

The burnout is absolutely real. I struggle to even talk about the series, let alone play it. When you see the same arguments, the same "realizations" (like P5 being problematic) the same take, the same spinoff cycle, it just gets a bit too much honestly. I'm still a Persona fan, but the fire that kept me posting in the 8 or so community threads on the old forum is gone.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The burnout is absolutely real. I struggle to even talk about the series, let alone play it. When you see the same arguments, the same "realizations" (like P5 being problematic) the same take, the same spinoff cycle, it just gets a bit too much honestly. I'm still a Persona fan, but the fire that kept me posting in the 8 or so community threads on the old forum is gone.
To me, that's less about the games themselves and more about certain parts of the fandom. Things changed ever since November 24, 2013. There are just certain things I don't focus on when it comes to discussion anymore.

But playing the recent rhythm games and looking at PQ2, I'm reminded of exactly why I like this series, and I'm not tired of it.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Anyone else just burned the fuck out on Persona?

P5 was amazing but it just doesn't feel special like P3/P4 did :/

Ehhh... not burned out... I can appreciate it each modern Persona for what they offer.

Persona 3 FES is my GOAT. Taught me games can be much more.

Persona 4 has amazing music and a great cast. Your Affection and its remix are still kings.

Persona 5 has top notch gameplay. Joker is still awesome. Whenever I see an image of the guy, I have fond memories. Early Persona 5 aka when things are mysterious and dark is best Persona 5.

So I'm not burned out... BUT... Persona 6 needs to be more mindful of what fans have said about Persona 5.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still love P5 a lot but the anime was mediocre, the dancing games are utter garbage, I could never even be bothered to finish PQ1 much less muster interest in PQ2, most discussion about P5 on this site is unbearable, and the wait until P6 seems likely to be ages (and even then, who knows if I'll like it as much under a different development team).

So yeah. It's really hard to show a lot of enthusiasm for the series at the moment, especially since Atlus tries their hardest to run it into the ground between mainline entries

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I still love P5 a lot but the anime was mediocre, the dancing games are utter garbage, I could never even be bothered to finish PQ1 much less muster interest in PQ2, most discussion about P5 on this site is unbearable, and the wait until P6 seems likely to be ages (and even then, who knows if I'll like it as much under a different development team).

So yeah. It's really hard to show a lot of enthusiasm for the series at the moment, especially since Atlus tries their hardest to run it into the ground between mainline entries

This is pretty much where I am at right now too.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I only got into the series with P5 last year so I'm still in the honeymoon period where mostly everything is still fresh and exciting for me.
That said it's mostly discovering old P3 media that's keeping my interest right now. I'm listening to the audio dramas, reading the manga, and very excited to play the English version of P3D. On the P5 side of things I'm kinda feeling a bit done with that cast right now. The anime was pretty flat and while I'm excited to play P5D, I'm way more interested in P3D.
I don't know, while P5 was amazing it kinda feels like it was lacking a little bit of magic somewhere. We could've probably done with a bit more space between the anime, dancing games and PQ2.

most discussion about P5 on this site is unbearable
Completely agree with this. Almost every week there's a thread here complaining about some aspect of P5 and it sucks a lot of the enthusiasm out.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently in Japan and have spent about $150 on persona merch, so yea, I'm still good with everything

Need me the dancing games

OP
OP
Android Sophia

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much how I feel too, with the exception that I've got some interest in PQ2. Even then a lot of interest in PQ2 has been dampened by the fact that it's on the 3DS and I find the 3DS a chore to play.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't go into P5 threads any more, it's just the same avatars bashing the game every time. For my part I still like the series as much as ever, and actually enjoyed it more than 4

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
No burnout here, but I never touched the spin-offs or anime. I can't wait for the Persona 6 announcement, can we expect the gap between 5 and 6 to be much shorter than the one between 4 and 5?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To me, every single Persona spin-off has been great, which is why I can continue looking forward to them. They're not of the same RPG genre as mainline Persona, so it's neat to explore the other genres within the Persona context, and the character interactions are still great.

The P5 anime was mediocre overall, but whatever.
No burnout here, but I never touched the spin-offs or anime. I can't wait for the Persona 6 announcement, can we expect the gap between 5 and 6 to be much shorter than the one between 4 and 5?
My guess is a Persona 6 announcement in 2020 and release in 2021. So 5 years since the release of Persona 5, as opposed to 8 years between the release of P4 and P5.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So watching Azumanga on VRV reminded me of this video I found when first getting into Persona.

It's weird to be nostalgic over old parody videos but sometimes it's easy to forget that it has been a while since I first discovered this series with Persona 3 FES.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
My guess is a Persona 6 announcement in 2020 and release in 2021. So 5 years since the release of Persona 5, as opposed to 8 years between the release of P4 and P5.

Wouldn't surprise me, hell I think we could get a 2020 release and go for a real P4 like release. Unlike with P5 the P Studio team isn't working on a new game (Cathrine), ports (P3P and P4G), building a new game engine, porting to PS4, or dealing with the shaky financial situation of the parent company. They have an engine, a platform, and design experience.

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me, hell I think we could get a 2020 release and go for a real P4 like release. Unlike with P5 the P Studio team isn't working on a new game (Cathrine), ports (P3P and P4G), building a new game engine, porting to PS4, or dealing with the shaky financial situation of the parent company. They have an engine, a platform, and design experience.

Are we sure they're not building a new engine though? P5 is a PS3 game ported to PS4, and PS5 will probably be out by the time P6 is released.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Persona 6 is a little ways out.

Of course I still think we're getting an enhanced version of 5 at some point.

Or maybe they use the P5 engine for something else to bridge the gap coughP3Remakecough.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but unlike that time as well, core members responsible for P3/P4/P5 have left the studio, notably the director. Atlus has been actively recruiting for all of their 3 departments for about 2 years now, and there'll probably be a lot of thinking required to determine the creative direction of the mainline franchise moving forward. They've said they need to surpass P5 with P6 like their goal was from P4 to P5, and with a new director and new leads heading things, it'll take some time.

I also wouldn't say they aren't working on ports. They've put out a number of surveys showing that they're at least considering making modern remakes of P1 through P4. They're also surely working on what we currently know as P5AG, P5U, and P5R. Those alone should pretty much cover next year.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I still like the franchise as much as I ever have, I'm just done discussing it in this forum for the most part. I guess you could say I'm burnt out on Era. It's the same few talking points being beaten to the ground, it's exhaustive and not particularly elucidating or fun to engage with. There's a line between criticism and animosity that I feel has been crossed for a long time. I'll be back whenever 6 is announced, and a part of me kind of hopes it's not as successful as 5 just so it doesn't generate as much toxicity. Though I'm a little worried about the new creative team in charge doubling down on the series' more tropey vices and it actually becomes the stereotype it's mistaken for. Other products from Atlus don't exactly inspire confidence on that front.

The spin-offs are whatever, I've never been invested in them even during the wait for P5. PQ2 looks fun though so maybe I'll give it a shot.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know I've been thinking about it for a while but I think I'm going to be lazy and call FeMC Mako Yuki in Q2.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me, that's less about the games themselves and more about certain parts of the fandom. Things changed ever since November 24, 2013. There are just certain things I don't focus on when it comes to discussion anymore.

But playing the recent rhythm games and looking at PQ2, I'm reminded of exactly why I like this series, and I'm not tired of it.

The fandom is garbage, there's no question about that. Talking about the series just isn't satisfying pretty much no matter where you go (though this thread's a bit of an exception)

I'm still very much looking forward to playing the spinoffs (PQ2 especially looks amazing), but I can't say Persona is my #1 passion series anymore.

I'm fucking there when P5 Arena launches, however.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I got to the part where
Shinjiro dies

I only have 2 shadows left, but we're in October and I think the game ends in March?

I take it the last two shadows are not really the end?

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
The OT is pretty dead so I'm here instead.

I got Persona 5 when it first released around last April? I loved it but I couldn't get myself to finish it. Yesterday I started playing it again. (The last palace, it's so fricking long.) Already clocked 100 hours.

Good news is I think I'm gonna finish it in the next few days. To my surprise, it seems like I may be able to complete all the co-op in my first playthrough. Feel pretty good about that.

The battle system is definitely one of the best turn-based systems in any games ever. I never get bored of it, navigating very long dungeons on the other hand...

They really need to make the next one shorter. (like 70% of this one.) Or find a way to make you go through each day faster. I guess not losing time going in a dungeon would help makes it less tedious. So we could get out of it when we get bored and do something else instead. Put some restrictions on it so it won't be too easy.

Anyway, I think all that left for me is the deepest part of Memento? I wonder if there are any more surprises for me.

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
The battle system is definitely one of the best turn-based systems in any games ever. I never get bored of it, navigating very long dungeons on the other hand...

They really need to make the next one shorter. (like 70% of this one.) Or find a way to make you go through each day faster. I guess not losing time going in a dungeon would help makes it less tedious. So we could get out of it when we get bored and do something else instead. Put some restrictions on it so it won't be too easy.

Anyway, I think all that left for me is the deepest part of Memento? I wonder if there are any more surprises for me.

I may get flak for this but I started missing P4 dungeons by the time I was halfway through the game. I adored the battle system, but the design of each dungeon, while a huge upgrade over the previous two games, wasn't that interesting and I couldn't stand the tedious puzzles.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
I think the problem with the dungeons is that they were designed with the intention of having the player complete them over multiple visits, but the rest of the game heavily incentivises doing them in one go so that you don't waste precious time. Seems like two opposing design philosphies not working together well. I'm sure the dungeons would feel much better if the game didn't punish you for spreading the exploration over a few days or had more points that 'force' you out for a break like in Palace 2.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
In P3 FES how important is it to S Rank as many of the social links as possible?

I've only got one so far (though 2 of them are on level 9) and I'm a few days into October

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
I think the problem with the dungeons is that they were designed with the intention of having the player complete them over multiple visits, but the rest of the game heavily incentivises doing them in one go so that you don't waste precious time. Seems like two opposing design philosphies not working together well. I'm sure the dungeons would feel much better if the game didn't punish you for spreading the exploration over a few days or had more points that 'force' you out for a break like in Palace 2.

This is absolutely true. That's why I would love for them to make it possible to get in and out of dungeons without losing time.

Anyway, I'm thinking of facing the reaper. Any level recommendation? I'm at level 65 and have nothing to do before the deadline of the last mission.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Anyway, I'm thinking of facing the reaper. Any level recommendation? I'm at level 65 and have nothing to do before the deadline of the last mission.
Unless you want a fair fight with him, go on a flu season day (December 8 and 9) and see if he starts a fight with despair. If he doesn't, run away (hopefully you have Hifumi's confidant maxed so you're guranteed to run) and then try and fight him again. Once he shows up with despair, just wait out the win.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I beat the reaper fair and square with my endgame party, which was either around your level or something like early 70s, I believe? He isn't that tough in P5.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely true. That's why I would love for them to make it possible to get in and out of dungeons without losing time.

I enjoyed P5's dungeons a lot but not making them consume time would definitely solve the biggest issue people have which is burnout from trying to beat them in a single day. Sometimes the story forces you to take a break which could be a solution but that also leads to frustration because then the dungeon will take away more time from other stuff and there's nothing you can do about it. There's also the issue of people missing the deadline because they didn't expect to get kicked out (though with the amount of warnings the game gives you it's your fault if you leave it for the very last day).
On the other hand, I guess getting through the dungeon in the alloted time is part of the challenge, though they could still maintain some sense of urgency by only allowing you to go in once each day. This way you wouldn't be able to go in and out at will to restock on items without getting penalized.

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed P5's dungeons a lot but not making them consume time would definitely solve the biggest issue people have which is burnout from trying to beat them in a single day. Sometimes the story forces you to take a break which could be a solution but that also leads to frustration because then the dungeon will take away more time from other stuff and there's nothing you can do about it. There's also the issue of people missing the deadline because they didn't expect to get kicked out (though with the amount of warnings the game gives you it's your fault if you leave it for the very last day).
On the other hand, I guess getting through the dungeon in the alloted time is part of the challenge, though they could still maintain some sense of urgency by only allowing you to go in once each day. This way you wouldn't be able to go in and out at will to restock on items without getting penalized.

I actually liked completing them in one go, it added a layer of strategy and tension to the battles as you had to carefully manage HP and SP. I would have preferred them to be more straightforward though instead of forcing puzzles that were more padding than actual challenges.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So according to this, the DLC will be Justine/Caroline navigator and Kaguya (lol).

Also omg at the gnomes with the guns FOE, now I'm really excited for the fourth dungeon lol Can't wait to read the developer interview.

So cool!

WTF at the A.I.G.I.S FOE. Kinda sticks out next to all the cute Wall-E style robots.