• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping for a dub but this would require getting back all of the main cast from 3, 4 and 5 and that is going to be a scheduling nightmare.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for a dub but this would require getting back all of the main cast from 3, 4 and 5 and that is going to be a scheduling nightmare.
They did it for 3 and 5. I don't think it would be that crazy, and also potentially why we're not going to be getting PQ2 in English anytime soon (it's not like they all record simultaneously).

English voices in Persona are a big deal, and it'd be a pretty significant knock against the game if it wasn't there.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Game dubbing (and, well, all dubbing in the US, period) is usually done one actor at a time rather than roundtable. They have a lot more leeway there than you'd think.

The biggest obstacle (assuming a dub is even greenlit at all) is the trend towards using non-union actors in game dubbing lately.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they have to bring back EVERYONE for Q2. Remember how they brought Willingham back for Theo in Ultimax, only for him to be recast with Papenbrook in Q?
Guess we'll have to wait at the edge of our seats all over again.
What a life being a western Atlus fan.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know after being so used to character portraits after all this time it's honestly bizarre to just see them use the 3D models only for conversation in the new Dancing games.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean "only"? Those aren't the same models used in the dances?
I mean I'm used to dialogue looking like this.
20160923_014848_thumb.png

Not like this.
justineandcaroline_thumb.jpg

Seeing them talk without the character portraits throws me off since the Q games are the only ones to not do that before.

Seeing them normal and without the character portraits in something outside an animated cutscene just felt kinda odd at first.

Actually this gives me an idea for a thread.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Not going to lie, I genuinely thought we were going to be done with the portraits when the early P5 stuff was coming out. Thought they were going to go for character models and dramatic cut-ins only.

Part of me hopes that's what they do in P6. It's not that I dont like the character portraits, but I feel it's time to move on..........or just make them more expressive. Since P3 it seems like it's just a top half/bottom half mix and match, wheras the P2 portraits had some genuine character and uniqueness to them.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Unless they get to a point where the models can convey facial detail as well as the 2D portraits do, nah. I also just really like the style they're drawn in.

On another note, I've fallen into a P4AU YouTube hole and am hoping P5A is analogous to something like BlazBlue Central Fiction that just builds on the past roster/systems and adds the P5 cast to it (TLDR: keep the sprites so I can main Teddie again). This is my justification for why they never bothered to port P4AU to the PS4 because otherwise, it's a crime that it never was. That game was so god damn fun.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless they get to a point where the models can convey facial detail as well as the 2D portraits do, nah. I also just really like the style they're drawn in.

On another note, I've fallen into a P4AU YouTube hole and am hoping P5A is analogous to something like BlazBlue Central Fiction that just builds on the past roster/systems and adds the P5 cast to it (TLDR: keep the sprites so I can main Teddie again). This is my justification for why they never bothered to port P4AU to the PS4 because otherwise, it's a crime that it never was. That game was so god damn fun.
My biggest problem with that is I want to see an older P4 cast. If they reused sprites there would with be time travel again or making them younger.

I want to see what they look like circa P5.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
It's kinda cool how this year between the releases of BlazeBlue Cross Tag Battle, P3D, and P5D all of the most recent voice actors for the Western versions reprised their roles for the main cast. Only Teddie, Rise, and FeMC didn't show up this year.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda cool how this year between the releases of BlazeBlue Cross Tag Battle, P3D, and P5D all of the most recent voice actors for the Western versions reprised their roles for the main cast. Only Teddie, Rise, and FeMC didn't show up this year.

I wonder who'll voice the FeMC if Laura Bailey can't come back for Q2?

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder who'll voice the FeMC if Laura Bailey can't come back for Q2?
I really hope Laura Bailey does come back for PQ2.
If she doesn't come back I imagine they would use the same VA for both Rise and FeMC which would either be Ashly Burch (who voiced Rise in P4D) or Alexis Tipton (who has replaced Laura for a few roles including Lucina and Platinum) if I had to guess.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If P5U uses sprites to be able to bring the characters from P4AU back, it'll sell relatively poorly like the other recent spin-offs. Presentation is especially important when it comes to fighting games, and those sprites are honestly outdated at this point. A new game looking like that would seem like an expansion to most consumers, and not a brand new title, especially post-BBTAG.

They need it to feel as fresh as it can, and making it look as eye-catching as it can is a huge part of it.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Was Fuuka voiced by the original actress in P3D? It's admittedly been a very long time but my first impression was that it sounded like a recast to me.

Akihiko hasn't changed one bit, which is great. Junpei sounds a bit off though.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Was Fuuka voiced by the original actress in P3D? It's admittedly been a very long time but my first impression was that it sounded like a recast to me.

Akihiko hasn't changed one bit, which is great. Junpei sounds a bit off though.
Fuuka and Ken were recast in the P4 spin-offs but their VA's have remained the same since - Wendee Lee and Cindy Robinson.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they never recast Akihiko, Junpei or Yukari. I can handle any other P3 characters getting recast but those three would really sting.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Same, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

On the topic of Q2 and it not doing so well, does anyone think an English dub is in the cards, or will they just give it the SJ Redux treatment?

I know. It's a dream despite ATLUS literally asking about it in a survey. I mean they do have the new models and what not. But ATLUS is gunna ATLUS amirite? lol

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's strange. It's such an obvious idea to make, but we haven't heard a peep about Atlus actually working on it.
You might say it exists between dream and reality, mind and matter.
It'd be the fourth release of Persona 3, in an era where there's no cross-media going on for P3 promotion. There's PQ2 and P3D, but those are both linked to Persona 5 in different ways.

Assuming that a remake means having P5 quality models, environments and graphics, redoing the anime cutscenes entirely, as well as including the female protagonist and The Answer, it's a lot. It's a lot of effort for something that wouldn't necessarily justify it, and that's not even including new scenes and characters which Atlus would most certainly want to include to justify a remake.

Opportunity cost becomes an issue when all Persona games are handled by the same relatively small studio, which entails other remakes, spin-offs, and mainline sequels. It's something they've clearly considered given their surveys, but I wouldn't say it's development would be a foregone conclusion.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be the fourth release of Persona 3, in an era where there's no cross-media going on for P3 promotion. There's PQ2 and P3D, but those are both linked to Persona 5 in different ways.

Assuming that a remake means having P5 quality models, environments and graphics, redoing the anime cutscenes entirely, as well as including the female protagonist and The Answer, it's a lot. It's a lot of effort for something that wouldn't necessarily justify it, and that's not even including new scenes and characters which Atlus would most certainly want to include to justify a remake.

Opportunity cost becomes an issue when all Persona games are handled by the same relatively small studio, which entails other remakes, spin-offs, and mainline sequels. It's something they've clearly considered given their surveys, but I wouldn't say it's development would be a foregone conclusion.
Wouldn't the P3D models be of sufficient quality to match P5D? I think a P3 remake would be a good interstitial release between P5 and P6 that they could pull off without having to write a ton of new material.

P3 characters have a fairly prominent role in the fighting games, so I think there's more cross-media potential than you think.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't the P3D models be of sufficient quality to match P5D? I think a P3 remake would be a good interstitial release between P5 and P6, whatever form the latter takes.

P3 characters have a fairly prominent role in the fighting games, so I think there's more cross-media potential than you think.
There are a whole lot more models they would need to make than simply those featured in P3D. All NPCs, persona models (ones that were not in P5), enemies, environment objects, etc.

And while PQ2, P3D, and if there's a P5U and it features P3 characters all have elements of P3, it's not the same as an anime/manga for it going on, with cafe collaborations or whatever.

All of the work I listed before isn't simple for a team of their size. Combined with development for Persona 6 and more Persona 5 spin-offs, fitting in a remake of P3 as described before wouldn't be simple, and would entail numerous things about how much time fans would have to wait before P6. I'm not saying it's not possible—again, they're clearly considering it—but I'm talking about how it's not an inevitability.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm really liking the Social Events in Dancing. Learn some fun bits there. Not as good as a full story but it's nice seeing characters interact more. Like seeing Yusuke chat with Makoto.

Also apparently Sae is taking Kickboxing lessons.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
I don't have the new games yet but I think I'd prefer these characters interactions that involve characters that normally don't talk to each other in the maingame over the same usual ones like P4MC-Yosuke-Chie-Yukiko and Kanji-Rise-Naoto.

Also I'm replaying P4D and I'm reminded of how Kanami desperately needs more costumes, really ruins the final act lol

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm definitely surprised by how much I've been enjoying the social events in P5D. It's made me excited to see the P3D ones as it's been a while since I've seen that whole cast interact with each other.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I've been loving the P3D social events so far. It's so nice to hear this cast interact with each other again.
Also I got a King Crazy with Junpei earlier and he said 'Junpei is perfecto, see' and I couldn't stop laughing.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I said he was likely but I still can't believe they are actually putting Joker in Smash Bros!

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
That announcement made me want to replay P5 again but I'm still holding out hope for a FES/Golden version.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Oh man, Joker being is smash is fucking awesome........not because of smash though, fuck that game.

But it's like a preview of some of his potential P5Arena moves!