• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
An update, I just saw the credits role

What a great game man, I think I might even prefer P3 to P4 (I've yet to play 5)

Ok so this FES post game content. Is it worth playing? How hard is it, and how long is it going to take?

I'm kind of interested in playing it now, but I keep hearing mixed things about it, and I've sunk 108 hours into P3 since September already

Is it worth playing?
I think it's worthwhile. It's a nice challenge from a gameplay standpoint and the events of The Answer get referenced in the P4 spinoff games.

IIRC playthroughs of The Answer should average about 15-30 hours.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oct 25, 2017
hm? what exactly is it?
after beating her in NG+, Margaret explains why Elizabeth left and what she plans to do to free P3MC. Though she also implies she'd team up with SEES to do it, so it's not like it ended up being true.
Why wasn't The Answer included in P3P?
No. Basically everything from FES is in P3P except for anime cutscenes and The Answer.
edit: Oops. Sorry, misread that.
I'm guessing they figured having to make a femc version of The Answer would be a waste of time considering it doesn't take anything else into account. So it was just easier for them to omit it altogether.

Last edited:

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I decided to just read a synopsis of The Answer and not to play it or watch it, and I feel that was a pretty good choice

I don't really want to change my impression of the main game by watching loads of cut scenes, and I don't feel like adding another 20-40 hours of grinding to my list to experience it

Overall I felt that:

It wasn't clear in the main game that the MC died at the end of game, so The Answer makes that kind of definititive, but the rest of the answers plot seems ok, and at least I didn't need to see the cast being all miserable about it

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I decided to just read a synopsis of The Answer and not to play it or watch it, and I feel that was a pretty good choice

I don't really want to change my impression of the main game by watching loads of cut scenes, and I don't feel like adding another 20-40 hours of grinding to my list to experience it

Overall I felt that:

It wasn't clear in the main game that the MC died at the end of game, so The Answer makes that kind of definititive, but the rest of the answers plot seems ok, and at least I didn't need to see the cast being all miserable about it
On the one hand it's easily Junpei at his best.

On the other hand it's Yukari at her worst.(for understandable reasons mind you but still.)

Oct 25, 2017

Overall I felt that:

At least you didn't have to put up with Metis.

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how Atlus does so well initially creating a story-based game and then fails so badly when they go to expand the story / add more content.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i like how metis's persona is literally wearing a bridal gown, as if to say, "yeah we're going all in on this robot waifu bs"

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I've been reading the P3 manga (just finished Volume 8) and I've been enjoying it so far. I really like the art style and there's been enough additional character interactions for me to enjoy going through the P3 story again. Just look at these two together
DvrBdGwX4AElrgY.jpg
And this scene is a great example of why I love Yukari's character so much. This was literally me in High School around 10 years ago

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm kind if bummed now I'm done with P3

I've been playing it most days since early September

I'm gonna play a few shorter games as a palate cleanser (started Flinthook last night)

It kind of makes me want to replay P4G. I played it back in 2016 but I went in blind and got the bad ending, saved over my file and then looked stuff up online only to then realise I got the bad ending

Is the game shorter/easier if I start a NG+ file and try to get the good ending, or should I start from scratch?

I'm probably not going to play it anytime soon, but it's been on my list to go back and see the good ending (preferably before I play 5)

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
You also keep your social stats so it should make it a lot easier to complete everyone's social links.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You also keep your social stats so it should make it a lot easier to complete everyone's social links.

Nice, I'll check I still have my completed save and I'll play a NG+ file, though like I said, I'll probably wait till summer to give myself some distance from P3

I think P4G took me 63 hours, so hopefully starting from NG+ brings that down by 10/20 hours

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Nice, I'll check I still have my completed save and I'll play a NG+ file, though like I said, I'll probably wait till summer to give myself some distance from P3

I think P4G took me 63 hours, so hopefully starting from NG+ brings that down by 10/20 hours

Welcome to the post-Persona depression. Now you get why people love this series.

My second play through was shorter but not by much FWIW. Also remember if you do it right with one socia link you'll have an extra dungeon, so the play through might be longer.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Welcome to the post-Persona depression. Now you get why people love this series.

My second play through was shorter but not by much FWIW. Also remember if you do it right with one socia link you'll have an extra dungeon, so the play through might be longer.

I knew why the series was popular, I've played 3 and 4 now, and combined that's about 170 hours of playtime :)

Yeah I was kicking myself after I realised I missed the real ending and an entire dungeon after my first P4 play through

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the first labyrinth of Q as the P3 crew. Game is fantastic so far.

Don't know how the hell I'm going to choose between characters for my party though. A lot of favorites.

With a big roster like this, I really wish party members left behind still gained EXP.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first labyrinth of Q as the P3 crew. Game is fantastic so far.

Don't know how the hell I'm going to choose between characters for my party though. A lot of favorites.

With a big roster like this, I really wish party members left behind still gained EXP.
Me, it was the two protags, Yukari, Yukiko, and Shinjiro.
A bit of a self-imposed challenge, since the game's kind of stacked against magic-heavy characters.

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I liked an addition in FES and afaik all the ones in Golden.
The Answer felt like a fan work more than a professional product, even if it had amazing cutscenes. I didn't like most of Golden -- I felt the way Atlas integrated the features was tacked-on and harmed the flow of the original story. Marie seemed like some staffers excuse to get booth time with HanaKana.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there was a single new scene in Golden I hated. I pretty much love all the new stuff Golden added.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
y'all ever think about how eternal punishment is all like "katsuya you're in your mid twenties your career path is set so suck it up and stop whining about how you wanted to be a pastry chef" but then plays "change your way" over the credits. some real mixed signals, game.

this post brought to you by youtube recommending me that bad orchestral cover of change your way from the persona concert series

Oct 25, 2017
y'all ever think about how eternal punishment is all like "katsuya you're in your mid twenties your career path is set so suck it up and stop whining about how you wanted to be a pastry chef" but then plays "change your way" over the credits. some real mixed signals, game.

this post brought to you by youtube recommending me that bad orchestral cover of change your way from the persona concert series
Just like certain additions made in P3FES and P3P.
Or keeping secrets in a story all about discovering truth like P4.

daevious

Oct 25, 2017

Still not as bad as Innocent Sin's ending such a mean-spirited Diablos Ex Machina that undercuts the story up to that point, and the only solution being to undo everyone's character development.

If it didn't have Eternal Punishment's narrative to lead into, Innocent Sin would get rightly mocked for how crap that ending is.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Still not as bad as Innocent Sin's ending such a mean-spirited Diablos Ex Machina that undercuts the story up to that point, and the only solution being to undo everyone's character development.

If it didn't have Eternal Punishment's narrative to lead into, Innocent Sin would get rightly mocked for how crap that ending is.
I love it.
True, they had to make a deus ex machina to resolve their bad end. But I was really into the fact that, canonically, after everything the cast did and all the effort they put in, they still failed. What they were going up against could not be beaten, and a pivotal character to the plot gets killed.

It's something I appreciated; it was different. The message is rather cynical, and the modern series would rather the message be hopeful or optimistic. But I keep thinking about a Persona game whose ending where this song would actually be appropriate:

daevious

Oct 25, 2017
I love it.
True, they had to make a deus ex machina to resolve their bad end. But I was really into the fact that, canonically, after everything the cast did and all the effort they put in, they still failed. What they were going up against could not be beaten, and a pivotal character to the plot gets killed.

It's something I appreciated; it was different. The message is rather cynical, and the modern series would rather the message be hopeful or optimistic. But I keep thinking about a Persona game whose ending where this song would actually be appropriate:

And I'd agree with that sentiment, if it wasn't for one noticeable problem with that reading.

Nyarly gets super fucking dunked at the end of EP, and even if the other side is a sign that he won in the long term everyone not named Tatsuya and Maya were basically done with Nyarlathotep's shit at that point.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love it.

Eh I'd hate that personally.

I never got the appeal of "downer" endings to be honest. If I like the cast I want them to be happy.

Though going by your EoE example even that's not a complete downer depending on who's enterpertation of the ending you're listening too.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
My bold and controversial take is that IS's ending is happier and more uplifting than EP's:
Innocent Sin eventually finds its way to a happy note, everyone's alive including friends who get Shadow'd earlier on, Jun's parents are alive and still together, Hanaji and Eikichi didn't have a falling out (which bizarrely leads to her still being skinny and him still being a rocker, which isn't the greatest message in the world but), etc, etc, and then we even get a stinger where everyone bumps into one another that implies they all become friends again without the weight of the world on their shoulders and All That Guilt re: Big Sister Maya.

On the other hand, the EP endings range from the Eikichi and Ginko sobbing because they remember what they've lost and knowing they can't go back to the way things were because it'll lead to the end of the world again to all of the IS kids talking about how there's a void missing in their lives that they can't quite explain and how it'll haunt them for the rest of their lives.

Which, I feel like plays into the themes of the games: IS is all about the idealism of youth and how you can capture your dreams, whereas EP is all "ok but your actions have consequences and you made this mess now deal with it"

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Playing P4D again on PS4 is a fantastic reminder of how magnificent the Atlus Konishi remix of The Fog is

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
So in Q I got a party of P3 protag, Junpei, Chie, Aigis and Naoto going.

Feel like I'm abit too phys heavy but I can't bring myself to remove Junpei or Aigis and Chie.

Hopefully this doesn't come back to bit me in the ass.

Going to try to build P3 protag and Naoto around mixed healing/attack spells.