• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So in Q I got a party of P3 protag, Junpei, Chie, Aigis and Naoto going.

Feel like I'm abit too phys heavy but I can't bring myself to remove Junpei or Aigis and Chie.

Hopefully this doesn't come back to bit me in the ass.

Going to try to build P3 protag and Naoto around mixed healing/attack spells.
You've got it all backwards. Going phys-heavy is how you deal with the biggest threats.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Also, Naoto is fuck busted in PQ, her Dark/Light attacks mean she can clear random encounters in seconds
I keep hearing this but what makes hama and mudo so busted in this? Is it the persona ability you can pass on that makes them more likely to hit? Is it really that much of a boost?

They just seem to work the same way they do in the regular games with a large chance to miss.

Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing this but what makes hama and mudo so busted in this? Is it the persona ability you can pass on that makes them more likely to hit? Is it really that much of a boost?

They just seem to work the same way they do in the regular games with a large chance to miss.
Copy-pasted from TV tropes:
"Many enemies are weak to at least one of the two (hama and mudo), meaning a higher hit rate and activating Boost, freeing you of any HP or SP cost the next turn. Naoto, in particular, is especially great with this with her high speed, decent attack power, having both Hama and Mudo while not being weak to either one like [Ken and Koromaru]. And with the Boost system, she can also cast her powerful Almighty skills without much worry."

Basically, she has two elements to exploit (three if you count her weapon), which gives her more access to the Boost status, which eliminates the high costs of her skills, which is an advantage no other character has.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Naoto was broken and it made the game far less challenging for me, having chosen to play her when the game came out without that knowledge. They apparently addressed this specific issue in PQ2, though.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Copy-pasted from TV tropes:
"Many enemies are weak to at least one of the two (hama and mudo), meaning a higher hit rate and activating Boost, freeing you of any HP or SP cost the next turn. Naoto, in particular, is especially great with this with her high speed, decent attack power, having both Hama and Mudo while not being weak to either one like [Ken and Koromaru]. And with the Boost system, she can also cast her powerful Almighty skills without much worry."

Basically, she has two elements to exploit (three if you count her weapon), which gives her more access to the Boost status, which eliminates the high costs of her skills, which is an advantage no other character has.

That's not the reason why she's broken (Almighty skills are garbage in PQ). She's broken because the Impure Reach skill roughly doubles her chance of instant kills succeeding. This means that pretty much any character with high luck can abuse a similar setup with sub Personas (P3 protagonist, Ken, etc).

Random encounter jank aside, I think Aigis is the best character in the game due to her utility vs tougher bosses.

Deleted member 51266

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 26, 2018
proxy2pq4b.jpg

Banner courtesy of ClearMetal

Welcome to the Persona Community Thread! This thread is for the discussion of all things related to the Persona franchise and it's internal developer P-Studio!

Thread Rules

As a general rule of thumb, all major spoilers should be marked. If you're uncertain what constitutes as a major spoiler, please err on the side of caution: mark it first, and then ask.

Spoilers should be tagged properly when discussing them. Mark which game you're describing, and what part of the game you're describing, and do not lead into a partial spoiler with the spoiler tag. For example:

a robot
Not acceptable.

She's apparently a robot
Acceptable.

For newly released games (this includes Persona 5), all material released in official media is fair game, but anything not officially released by Atlus should be spoiler tagged.

Please try to keep so called "Waifu Wars" to a minimum. Heartfelt discussions about your favorite character are fine, pointless drive by spam is not.

Beyond that, standard rules apply. Keep it cool, be nice to people, be respectful, don't be a jerk, and try to stay on topic. Positive thinking, yo!

Extended Community

Discord and IRC: We have a discord channel and IRC set up for the discussion of all things related Persona and our community.

If you wish to join the Discord, please quote this post to see the link. [Hidden content]

If you wish to join the IRC server, you may connect at irc.globalgamers.net, port 6667, and join channel #personaGAF. Alternatively, you may use the web chat found here: https://webchat.globalgamers.net/

We recommend you use a proper IRC client if you join the IRC server. On Windows, HexChat or Quassel IRC are popular choices. On Android, AndChat and AndroIRC are free and pretty nice. For other suggestions, feel free to ask.

Should you chose to join either the IRC or the Discord, be respectful of all their rules, and their staff.

Community Projects

persona-central-logo-fhk87.png

Persona Central is a news site related to all things Persona and Atlus, run by FluxWaveZ and often assisted by many members of the GAF and ERA communities. It's a fantastic place to keep up to date on the latest stories.

slinkfm-website-banneo0k24.jpg

SLinkFM was a RPG-focused podcast run by a handful of former and current members of our community. Originally focused on Persona, before moving out onto RPGs in general, they've interviewed many voice actors from the franchise, including Karen Strassman (The voice of Aigis and Nanako) and Erin Fitzgerald (The voice of Chie.) While the podcast itself has ended, the episodes are still available online for your listening pleasure.
I might start playing Persona starting with 3 so I'd love to join the discord and get some help (quoting to get the invite link, don't mind me).

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i just want to say that the persona 2 eternal punishment portable opening is real bad - the intro up to the title card is fine, but then it weirdly shifts to "what if we just did the stuff from the ps1 opening, but like way worse in every respect, right down to including like, animated versions of the fmv montage clips used for budgetary reasons in the original's opening"

also lol forever @ taking the ulala mirror scene, which is one of the best composed scenes in the opening and gave you a greater sense of her character than any of the others, being hacked down to her her angry face on a few spinning shards of glass.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I might start playing Persona starting with 3 so I'd love to join the discord and get some help (quoting to get the invite link, don't mind me).
You don't have to quote anything, just post in the thread. (The old way to have hidden text was to quote but not post; the hidden text would appear in the post code. This went away with the 2.0 forum update.)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So something I found interesting. A YouTuber I like called Caddicarus recently put up his review of the PlayStation Classic.(spoiler:he didn't like it)

What I found interesting though was his thoughts on Revelations:Persona. He talked about how he immediately drawn in by the art and strange world. Random but I find the perspective of someone unfamiliar with the series being drawn into it fascinating. I'm hoping he checks the series out as he only played for a few minutes to get a brief look at the games quality on the PSC.

I think the fact that someone can become interested even from just seeing a few minutes speaks to the quality of the series even if it's not an entry I personally like.

I don't know I find it cool to see someone new seeing it for the first time.

If you're curious he talks about it at 17:45.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I had almost forgotten just how great Elizabeth was before playing Persona Q.

She is a gem.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Concerning Junpei Iori's English VA: https://www.resetera.com/threads/vo...ia-antisemitism-and-sexual-harrassment.94896/

Had been hearing these stories for a long time, and it's surfaced again.
This is incredibly disappointing as his performance as Junpei is one of my favourite performances in a game. Most disappointing though is that it sounds like this was pretty common knowledge for a very long time. I'm hoping that we won't hear from him anymore in the future but I won't get my hopes up too much.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
That really stings. Junpei is one of my favorite Persona characters and that was largely due to his performance.

In other news, I've been totally abusing the fuck out of hama and muda and now I have the "ma" spells for both. Good times.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I love Aigis in Persona Q so much. She's a real weirdo.

"You bet your bippy"

I fricking hate Teddie so much though, he's super obnoxious.

Still miss his original VA, Sam Riegel's lines just kind of grates on my nerves. He went from cartoonishly charming to just kind of annoying.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I love Aigis in Persona Q so much. She's a real weirdo.

"You bet your bippy"

I fricking hate Teddie so much though, he's super obnoxious.

Still miss his original VA, Sam Riegel's lines just kind of grates on my nerves. He went from cartoonishly charming to just kind of annoying.
Best advice I can give is to listen to Japanese Teddie.
It'll make the most amateurish 90s dub sound like the sweetest song.

edit: But hey, I've liked Sam's version of Teddie better than Dave's since Arena, so what do I know?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
When are we getting PQ2 in the west? I want it Atlus.

And man, I pretty much stuck with one party throughout the first game, but it's gonna be even harder in the second to choose a team. Wonder who will be good, not good, buffed from the first game, nerfed

My team was P4MC, Akihiko, P3MC, Aigis, and Naoto. I wanted to use Kanji but just couldn't fit him in.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
The Dancing games are on sale on PSN

Both of them on Vita for $60 hmm...

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say despite really enjoying Q, I don't think I'll ever be able to play Etrian Oddyssey. The style and writing is a big part of what keeps me going.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I managed to get King Crazy on every song in P3/4/5D on hard difficulty!
P3D was the first game, while P4D was the last game.
The last song I got KC on in each game was Burn My Dread (OP ver) for both P3D and P5D, and The Fog (Atlus Konishi remix) in P4D.
Going try my hand at All Night difficulty but I don't think I'll be getting KC on every song.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I managed to get King Crazy on every song in P3/4/5D on hard difficulty!
P3D was the first game, while P4D was the last game.
The last song I got KC on in each game was Burn My Dread (OP ver) for both P3D and P5D, and The Fog (Atlus Konishi remix) in P4D.
Going try my hand at All Night difficulty but I don't think I'll be getting KC on every song.
You are a lot better at this game then I could ever hope to be.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Every once in awhile I think about trying Dancing All Night but I just hate idol stuff and I'm not really a fan of dancing/music games in general.

Just gotta accept not all Persona games are for me.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every once in awhile I think about trying Dancing All Night but I just hate idol stuff and I'm not really a fan of dancing/music games in general.

I at least recommend looking up the social events for 3/5 Dancing.

There genuinely good character moments IMO.

Oct 25, 2017

As someone who agrees with you on the idol stuff, I've loved the character bits in 3/5D.
Meanwhile I can't bring myself to even look up P4D's story.

Oct 25, 2017
I suffered through PQ1s boring ass gameplay just for the character interactions, so I'm almost grateful in an ass backwards way that I won't be playing this one.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Lack of a dub has definitely put a damper on my excitement for PQ2 and this is pretty soon after I had turned a corner on it and was actually starting to look forward to it.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
No dub is a shame but I'm not going to let that stop me from buying the game. The first one was great and this one looks even better.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
No english dub is a bit of a bummer but understandable. The 3DS is effectively done and there are a lot of characters in the game so they must've figured it wasn't worth the cost for such a niche release. Better than not localizing it like P2 EP on PSP.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not sure whether I'm going to get Q2 or not at this point. I hope the Q games get another shot on other platforms in the future.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I should change my avatar now. Feels wrong to have something for a game I don't even intend to buy anymore.

Edit: eh I'll keep it till I find something I like more.

Last edited: