• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
Think I should get P5 today for my PS4 or wait for a possible Switch announcement(I can feel it in my bones, especially with Joker's announcement)? I'd rather play the game on the go as opposed to on a home console.

Oct 25, 2017
Think I should get P5 today for my PS4 or wait for a possible Switch announcement(I can feel it in my bones, especially with Joker's announcement)? I'd rather play the game on the go as opposed to on a home console.
You have a few options: You can wait until next month to see what P5R actually is. There's the Persona Super Live concert in April that might have a few more announcements. Or you can just get P5 now cause whatever's announced during the former two will likely take way too long to get here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We'll probably know whether P5 will be on Switch or not in March so I guess wait till then if you're not sure.

Edit: though yeah like A Dead Diehard said above even if P5 comes to Switch we might not even get it till next year. So if you don't mind replaying games you could still get it now.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any way to... have less to do with the combat in Persona 2 IS (PSP)? Any cheats or mods or patches that mitigate that god awful battle system?

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to... have less to do with the combat in Persona 2 IS (PSP)? Any cheats or mods or patches that mitigate that god awful battle system?
You can spam fusion spells can't you? I used those and paid little attention to combat.

You can also get Nemesis (Empress) at level 24 who learns Estoma at rank 6 so you can avoid battles.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can spam fusion spells can't you? I used those and paid little attention to combat.

You can also get Nemesis (Empress) at level 24 who learns Estoma at rank 6 so you can avoid battles.
It is less about that and more about the god awful transitions into/out of battles and the horrendous encounter rate

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I started playing Persona 5 a week ago. I think the animation is great but by God it has the most infuriating combat combined with a terrible save system. I lost 40 minutes of gameplay because I wasn't given an option to save before a battle and 3 of my team were insta wiped. I used the revives I had and then immediately got 1 hit killed by an enemy. Absolute bullshit. There should never be 1 hit kills in games. My first reaction was to delete the thing but I carried on and got to the art gallery boss which I switched off halfway through because I couldn't be bothered with the slog. I'll give it one more chance but one more instant kill and I'm done.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing Persona 5 a week ago. I think the animation is great but by God it has the most infuriating combat combined with a terrible save system. I lost 40 minutes of gameplay because I wasn't given an option to save before a battle and 3 of my team were insta wiped. I used the revives I had and then immediately got 1 hit killed by an enemy. Absolute bullshit. There should never be 1 hit kills in games. My first reaction was to delete the thing but I carried on and got to the art gallery boss which I switched off halfway through because I couldn't be bothered with the slog. I'll give it one more chance but one more instant kill and I'm done.
Is this your first Persona?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man and 5 is probably the most forgiving Persona too.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Man and 5 is probably the most forgiving Persona too.
I'm confused a bit because P5 lets you restart failed battles from the beginning, or failing that you can restart from the last safe room visit (not even the last save, a temporary checkpoint is made each time you set foot in a safe room). Every previous game just dumped you back to the title screen.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the Persona manga for like the fifth time now and I've regrettably finally found a flaw with it, that Elly and Maki don't really get to show off as much as the dudes.

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I'm confused a bit because P5 lets you restart failed battles from the beginning, or failing that you can restart from the last safe room visit (not even the last save, a temporary checkpoint is made each time you set foot in a safe room). Every previous game just dumped you back to the title screen.

Every fight I've lost so far it's dumped me back at my last save. Never been given an option to restart any battle. I wouldn't mind if it did but I ain't seen that option. I been real careful to save since the first time I got 1 hit killed too.

Oct 25, 2017
Every fight I've lost so far it's dumped me back at my last save. Never been given an option to restart any battle. I wouldn't mind if it did but I ain't seen that option. I been real careful to save since the first time I got 1 hit killed too.
What difficulty are you on, and have you ever lost a battle that starts as part of the story?
iirc, the option to restart a battle is only for major battles

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
What difficulty are you on, and have you ever lost a battle that starts as part of the story?
iirc, the option to restart a battle is only for major battles

I'm playing normal difficulty. I don't know. The last time I got 1 hit was the art gallery. The main bad guy showed up and it went straight into a battle with his sidekick who insta killed me and that was it. I thought about playing it on easy cos I reckon there won't be any instant death bullshit on that setting but that's a shitty solution

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
As someone who's only played Persona 5 and absolutely loved it, what other games do you guys recommend that might be up my alley? Are they all similar?

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
As someone who's only played Persona 5 and absolutely loved it, what other games do you guys recommend that might be up my alley? Are they all similar?
Persona 3 and 4 have pretty much the same structure as 5, without some of the quality of life improvements, as you might imagine. The story and atmosphere are quite different, so despite the gameplay similarities they won't feel too samey, I feel.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 feels like they took what worked well from Persona 3 and 4 and tried to streamline the UI as much as possible. The result is easily my favorite of the three games.

Persona 3 is my runner-up, though there isn't a definitive version of the game; you have either FES (fully realized visuals, but no Direct Command) or Portable (extremely limited presentation outside of dungeons/battles, but has the female protagonist route and many quality of life improvements). Unless a new remake happens, you're stuck with a tradeoff no matter what you decide.

Persona 4 doesn't have this problem (there's nothing the original does better than Golden), but I just can't get through this game. The cast just doesn't work for me and I find myself losing interest.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
3 and 4 both have randomly generated dungeons and 3 doesn't have skills you learn as you rank up your social links. beyond that the flow of the games will feel very similar to 5. In terms of tone/atmosphere 5 probably sits dead between them, not as light hearted as 4 or as bleak as 3

1 and 2 are very different games, 2 has an interesting story but you might find them both very dated, I'd play 3 and 4 before you look at those

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
As others have said P3 and P4 are pretty similar in structure and gameplay to P5. The main difference between them is that P3/4 have randomised dungeon layouts like Mementos instead of P5s large structured palaces. I would recommend checking out either of those first.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They've ruined Akihiko in Persona Q, he's a completely different character from in 3
They made him the worst caricature in PQ. P4A was kinda bad, but a lot of it was due to his appearance. In P3D, they reflected his original P3 self perfectly (along with the other characters). Wonder if some of that is because the P3M series ended in 2016, so they didn't need to water his character down for people who weren't famiiliar.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Persona 3 and 4 have pretty much the same structure as 5, without some of the quality of life improvements, as you might imagine. The story and atmosphere are quite different, so despite the gameplay similarities they won't feel too samey, I feel.
Persona 5 feels like they took what worked well from Persona 3 and 4 and tried to streamline the UI as much as possible. The result is easily my favorite of the three games.

Persona 3 is my runner-up, though there isn't a definitive version of the game; you have either FES (fully realized visuals, but no Direct Command) or Portable (extremely limited presentation outside of dungeons/battles, but has the female protagonist route and many quality of life improvements). Unless a new remake happens, you're stuck with a tradeoff no matter what you decide.

Persona 4 doesn't have this problem (there's nothing the original does better than Golden), but I just can't get through this game. The cast just doesn't work for me and I find myself losing interest.
3 and 4 both have randomly generated dungeons and 3 doesn't have skills you learn as you rank up your social links. beyond that the flow of the games will feel very similar to 5. In terms of tone/atmosphere 5 probably sits dead between them, not as light hearted as 4 or as bleak as 3

1 and 2 are very different games, 2 has an interesting story but you might find them both very dated, I'd play 3 and 4 before you look at those
As others have said P3 and P4 are pretty similar in structure and gameplay to P5. The main difference between them is that P3/4 have randomised dungeon layouts like Mementos instead of P5s large structured palaces. I would recommend checking out either of those first.

Thanks a bunch, guys. Guess I'll go backwards with the series and go with 4 next.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Persona Q seems to be a lot more generous with money than the Etrian games, it's kind of boring when you're always just able to buy the best equipment for everyone, is it like that for the whole game?

Oct 25, 2017
Being as vague as possible, does anyone think the persona team will have Elizabeth complete her journey?

Elizabeth is my favorite member of the velvet room by far, and I think it would be interesting if she enlists the help of our latest protagonist in a possible "Golden" version.

Oct 25, 2017
Being as vague as possible, does anyone think the persona team will have Elizabeth complete her journey?

Elizabeth is my favorite member of the velvet room by far, and I think it would be interesting if she enlists the help of our latest protagonist in a possible "Golden" version.
At this point, as much as I'm for it, I doubt they'll ever push that button.
Also in terms of timeline, I think it's already too late for it to be effective. They had their chance with Ultimax, but it's been 6 ingame years now.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it implied Elizabeth's journey could take potentially centuries (if not longer)? Kinda seemed like a plot thread to give things hope, but ultimately keep things same for the reasonable future.

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it implied Elizabeth's journey could take potentially centuries (if not longer)? Kinda seemed like a plot thread to give things hope, but ultimately keep things same for the reasonable future.
It could take centuries, but the people she's apparently supposed to enlist the help of won't last that long.
It's a carrot on a stick with no thought put into it.

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Last night I realised I'd just spent 35 minutes watching cut scenes, completely unable to make any choice and tonigt I got so sick of watching the same mindless exposition over and over that I spent 20 minutes pressing the skip button in the hope that maybe I'd get to some actual gameplay. I wanted to go Mementos but nope. Instead I was forced to sit pressing the skip button. This is easily one of the worst games I've ever played and I played Brink at launch.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last night I realised I'd just spent 35 minutes watching cut scenes, completely unable to make any choice and tonigt I got so sick of watching the same mindless exposition over and over that I spent 20 minutes pressing the skip button in the hope that maybe I'd get to some actual gameplay. I wanted to go Mementos but nope. Instead I was forced to sit pressing the skip button. This is easily one of the worst games I've ever played and I played Brink at launch.
You must have not played many games then.

Like I can understand being frustrated at a lot of cutscenes(though that usually doesn't bother me) calling it the "worst ever" just feels unesesary. Especially for a complaint that has nothing to do with the actual gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the Brink devs can take some pride in their game being one of the four games you've played.

But in all seriousness, I get the impression that the series may just not be your bag.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's the series for you if you don't like character dialogue, 2,3 4 all have long talking sections as well

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I like the game. I think the graphics are great. I've enjoyed the story overall. Still it's badly designed. It has one hit kill mechanics. It has terrible pacing. It takes away player agency which is never a good thing. It doesn't respect the player's time. It has way too much exposition and pointless filler. This game could easily be cut down to 20 - 30 hours and there'd be no impact on it. Those reasons are why I think of it's one the worst games I've ever played.

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Yeah no, there's no world in which this is a true statement.

There is a world in which it's a true statement. This one. They could easily cut out at least 60% of the game's scenes and it would have no impact. If anything it would improve the game. I spent at least 20 minutes last night pressing the skip button after the 2nd exam before I was able to actually play anything. God knows how long that stretch would have actually taken to watch, but at least 90% of that nonsense could have been removed and it wouldn't have affected anything.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There is a world in which it's a true statement. This one. They could easily cut out at least 60% of the game's scenes and it would have no impact. If anything it would improve the game. I spent at least 20 minutes last night pressing the skip button after the 2nd exam before I was able to actually play anything. God knows how long that stretch would have actually taken to watch, but at least 90% of that nonsense could have been removed and it wouldn't have affected anything.
There's an argument to be made where 20-30 hours of the game could be cut from Persona 5 to make it more succinct and have better pacing. But to make Persona 5 a 20-30 hour game would make it a different game than it is. A game different than why people like Persona 3-5.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, even if you cut out every single one of the game's cutscenes, I doubt the result would be as short as 20-30 hours.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you admit to literally skipping huge chunks of dialog, so I don't think you're the expert on what can be trimmed or not if you aren't reading it all in the first place.

As someone else has said, it's entirely possible this just isn't the type of game for you. That doesn't mean you can try to pass off your opinion as an objective evaluation of the game when it's clear it's only your opinion.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'm playing Yakuza 0 and there's a song that plays during substories that's extremely similar to the melancholic one that plays in Persona 4 (iirc).

Oct 25, 2017
eBS9EP7.png
:thinking:

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I mean, you admit to literally skipping huge chunks of dialog, so I don't think you're the expert on what can be trimmed or not if you aren't reading it all in the first place.

As someone else has said, it's entirely possible this just isn't the type of game for you. That doesn't mean you can try to pass off your opinion as an objective evaluation of the game when it's clear it's only your opinion.

I didn't say I was an "expert." It is still possible to get the jist of the dialogue while fast forwarding and most of what I saw was just fluff and filler.

It clearly isn't the type of game for me. If I had known it was an 80 - 100 hour game full of cut scenes and about 5 hours of actual gameplay I wouldn't have bothered with it, but that doesn't negate my opinion.

Also, at no point did I try to "pass off your opinion as an objective evaluation of the game." If you want to discuss my thoughts on the game then please try to conduct yourself more honestly in the future, or I'll be ignoring any further posts from you.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Do you all think they'll stick with the color scheme thing for P6? I don't think going into secondary colors would be as impactful, but having one color certainly makes the games pop and stand out from each other. Green or orange seem possible, but I'm not sure what the vibe of those games would be. They both evoke another game out in a rural town to me. Purple was kind of used with the P1 psp remake, but it could work with a city-based game.

Do you think they would just restart the B/Y/R cycle? Or just drop the strong color theming all together?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do you all think they'll stick with the color scheme thing for P6? I don't think going into secondary colors would be as impactful, but having one color certainly makes the games pop and stand out from each other. Green or orange seem possible, but I'm not sure what the vibe of those games would be. They both evoke another game out in a rural town to me. Purple was kind of used with the P1 psp remake, but it could work with a city-based game.

Do you think they would just restart the B/Y/R cycle? Or just drop the strong color theming all together?
Developer mention: