• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The reasons I don't really like FeMC in P3P is because she's intrinsically linked to a lower level of presentation in a game where that was important, and because I think she waters down the atmosphere and themes of the game with her more joyful and friendly vibes. I'll probably appreciate her more in PQ2.

A female protagonist alternative in Persona 5 wouldn't be burdened with those issues, so I'd probably like it way more.

But I really just want a female protagonist as Persona 6's default (and only) option.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The reasons I don't really like FeMC in P3P is because she's intrinsically linked to a lower level of presentation in a game where that was important, and because I think she waters down the atmosphere and themes of the game with her more joyful and friendly vibes. I'll probably appreciate her more in PQ2.
Yar, I personally like the contrast the FeMC provides - because having somebody who looks and acts like the Male MC as the surrogate for the theme is a tad excessive - and it made the conclusion hit more.

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
Yar, I personally like the contrast the FeMC provides - because having somebody who looks and acts like the Male MC as the surrogate for the theme is a tad excessive - and it made the conclusion hit more.
Yeah, Minato leans so heavily into that sort of gloomy persona and feels incredibly detatched from the rest of SEES that I could never really connect to the base Persona 3 game, but Persona 3 Portable and the FeMC I feel are the tightest party out of the last three games, and it makes any loss hit that much harder, even if it's not a fancy cutscene.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I asked this in the Smash thread but do you think a potential FeMC would just be Joker as a girl or would they be an entirely unique character like FeMC in P3P was?

Which would you like?

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
I asked this in the Smash thread but do you think a potential FeMC would just be Joker as a girl or would they be an entirely unique character like FeMC in P3P was?

Which would you like?
I'd prefer a new character, but they've got the really defined roles in the Phantom Thieves, and have the whole Joker thing set up already. Realistically a femJoker would still have the cocky personality in her phantom thief guise, but some good differences in her day-to-day life.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017

Which would you like?
I would prefer a unique character like P3P's FeMC. Having a unique character made my second playthrough of P3 more memorable and exciting compared to my second playthroughs of P4 and P5.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017

I've been wondering about this. The color thing also works really well for the live shows, with the light sticks changing color according to the song that is being played, all 3 colors really pop in a dark venue. When the light sticks changed to red before they started playing the trailer at PSL2015 that was such a cool moment. I doubt they'd use green. Orange and purple seem like good options. He mentions silver which is actually an intereting choice.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know they'd probably just give a FeMC an Aresne variant but I'd love if she'd have a unique Persona like Irene Adler or something.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Put me in the skeptical of femJoker catagorey myself. I'd love to see it but I feel it's more likely any changes would focus on same sex relationships and expanding Akechi.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've scene this sentiment before and I have no idea where it comes from.

Do you think women aren't allowed to be shown getting injured or something?
Basically, a lot of people say they'd be uncomfortable about it because a woman getting beaten by a man strongly resembles domestic violence.

I personally think that it's a completely valid thing to show a woman getting beaten up on screen (in this context), but I can see why people would feel uncomfortable.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically, a lot of people say they'd be uncomfortable about it because a woman getting beaten by a man strongly resembles domestic violence.

I personally think that it's a completely valid thing to show a woman getting beaten up on screen (in this context), but I can see why people would feel uncomfortable.
I mean that just feels like an odd double standard to me.

It's not like we're supposed to enjoy watching our hero be brutalized. Frankly the start of Persona 5 being done to a FeMC wouldn't strike me as any worse then a female Mortal Kombat character being fatalitied or half the shit from the Tomb Raider reboot.

Oct 25, 2017

It's not like we're supposed to enjoy watching our hero be brutalized. Frankly the start of Persona 5 being done to a FeMC wouldn't strike me as any worse then a female Mortal Kombat character being fatalitied or half the shit from the Tomb Raider reboot.
I honestly agree with you, but the fact is that the double standard is a real, subconscious thing. Watching a young woman getting drugged, kicked in the chest, pulled up by the hair, just about having her leg snapped, and apparently/actually getting shot in the face will not go over well.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly agree with you, but the fact is that the double standard is a real, subconscious thing. Watching a young woman getting drugged, kicked in the chest, pulled up by the hair, just about having her leg snapped, and apparently/actually getting shot in the face will not go over well.
I really don't think it would cause any more controversy then any of the other topics done in P5.

At worst just don't have the kick scene for the FeMC but again it's not necessary.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I've scene this sentiment before and I have no idea where it comes from.

Do you think women aren't allowed to be shown getting injured or something?

I agree that it shouldn't be changed, but there's no denying that a man beating up a woman causes a different reaction than a man beating up another man, specially in this case where it's a teenager and he/she is tied up and completely defenseless.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's because the violence in Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider is over the top and fantastical, while the one on Persona 5 can hit a little too close to home. At the very least I'd like them to add some content warning.

Oct 25, 2017
The violence in the opening scene amounts to a character being hit, with the impact being cut away. It's not really all that graphic. Most of it is entirely off screen.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The violence in the opening scene amounts to a character being hit, with the impact being cut away. It's not really all that graphic. Most of it is entirely off screen.
The protagonist's hair is pulled, their face thrown to the floor, their stomach is kicked, and their leg is stomped and pressed.

Along with Atlus' recent controversies, there would definitely be problems.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The protagonist's hair is pulled, their face thrown to the floor, their stomach is kicked, and their leg is stomped and pressed.

Along with Atlus' recent controversies, there would definitely be problems.
Yeah I don't see it.

Again I don't see how a female character being beat up is somehow worse then one of the most iconic female video game characters in history being impaled through the face.

Like in this scenario what do you guys see happening? Do you think a massive amount of people would boycott the game or something because the bad guys dare hurt the hero?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't see it.

Again I don't see how a female character being beat up is somehow worse then one of the most iconic female video game characters in history being impaled through the face.

Like in this scenario what do you guys see happening? Do you think a massive amount of people would boycott the game or something because the bad guys dare hurt the hero?
You mean Lara Croft? But the violence pitted against her in the reboot was controversial and an endless point of contention when it comes to the new series. I'm not saying that there would be mass boycotts or anything, just like there won't be against Catherine: Full Body. But there'd be negative impressions on social media, vocal minority or not. It'd be unavoidable, even if most were okay with it.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean Lara Croft? But the violence pitted against her in the reboot was controversial and an endless point of contention when it comes to the new series. I'm not saying that there would be mass boycotts or anything, just like there won't be against Catherine: Full Body. But there'd be negative impressions on social media, vocal minority or not. It'd be unavoidable, even if most were okay with it.
I mean ok but that's gonna happen anyway most likely.

So why would they avoid doing a FeMC(the idea that started this whole conversation) because of it?

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the argument about other games is sort of missing the fact that Persona 5 already treats it's female cast like trash at points which is going to immediately make any scene of physical assault against a female protagonist significantly more uncomfortable.

That being said I don't know if I'd buy them altering the interrogation scene due to backlash. It wouldn't take much to realise that the homophobic and transphobic content in their recent releases wouldn't be well received and yet that content made it into the game.

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Sae's place in the story seems to have mostly been eaten away by the plot/character tumor called Goro Akechi. If Persona 5 is getting a "Golden" then like Persona 4, the expanded focus will all be on Akechi and some new waifu.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sae's place in the story seems to have mostly been eaten away by the plot/character tumor called Goro Akechi. If Persona 5 is getting a "Golden" then like Persona 4, the expanded focus will all be on Akechi and some new waifu.
The new waifu will be Sae I'm calling it now. There's already the data mined stuff that hinted she used to have a more traditional confidant.

They'll give her a new link in an extra month and have her be Aeon. Kinda like how they added Aigis' link in FES.

Oct 25, 2017
The new waifu will be Sae I'm calling it now. There's already the data mined stuff that hinted she used to have a more traditional confidant.

They'll give her a new link in an extra month and have her be Aeon. Kinda like how they added Aigis' link in FES.
Would this mean that Ren would turn himself in in January rather than December? Call me crazy, but I don't think Atlus would be willing to throw away a perfectly good New Years anime cutscene. It also wouldn't be worth it considering it would be after the final boss, unless the whole plot gets shifted around or some new threat shows up for a month.
Any time I hear about the game getting extra days in the calendar, I see some major obstacle to that happening.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would this mean that Ren would turn himself in in January rather than December? Call me crazy, but I don't think Atlus would be willing to throw away a perfectly good New Years anime cutscene. It also wouldn't be worth it considering it would be after the final boss, unless the whole plot gets shifted around or some new threat shows up for a month.
Any time I hear about the game getting extra days in the calendar, I see some major obstacle to that happening.
I'm sure Atlus could BS something. I don't see an enhanced version coming out unless they add more days.(unless it does have a FeMC.)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A new Sae confidant could be cool but I'm praying they don't make her waifuable.
They will. I'm convinced the only reason she wasn't is they changed the way her Confidant worked at some point during development and couldn't figure out a workaround.

Call my cynical but she's the only female Confidant in the game that doesn't get attracted to the MC and I don't think it's because the writers didn't want her to be.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Question regarding Persona Q:

I am currently playing the new Etrian Odyssey and got an itch to play PQ again. I never finished it, I think I am on 3F in the third labyrinth. As far as I understood, the game has 3 routes and the final one only opens once you finish both, eh? But I don't need to finish 1 route and THEN the other - I could just make a new save file with, in this case, the P3 route and then finish my already existing P4 save file and THEN get access to the final one - correct?

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Question regarding Persona Q:

I am currently playing the new Etrian Odyssey and got an itch to play PQ again. I never finished it, I think I am on 3F in the third labyrinth. As far as I understood, the game has 3 routes and the final one only opens once you finish both, eh? But I don't need to finish 1 route and THEN the other - I could just make a new save file with, in this case, the P3 route and then finish my already existing P4 save file and THEN get access to the final one - correct?
Dont know who told you that, because thats completely wrong.

There's one "route" through the game, regardless of whether you pick P3 or P4, the only difference is the beginning and a couple of character scenes during the game. There's no route A/B/C.

The only thing I can think of that could be confused with that is the fact that there's optional superbosses only available on a NG+ run.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Dont know who told you that, because thats completely wrong.

There's one "route" through the game, regardless of whether you pick P3 or P4, the only difference is the beginning and a couple of character scenes during the game. There's no route A/B/C.

The only thing I can think of that could be confused with that is the fact that there's optional superbosses only available on a NG+ run.
Huh, I was sure there was something (maybe not a complete route but just a sort of postgame) that only unlocks once you have beaten both routes. So that's New Game+ and completely unrelated to the route?

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Huh, I was sure there was something (maybe not a complete route but just a sort of postgame) that only unlocks once you have beaten both routes. So that's New Game+ and completely unrelated to the route?
Like I said, the only thing there is is an optional boss fight if you finish both P3 and P4 on the same save file. And there's a boss fight you can do after beating the game once, but before starting the game a 2nd time.

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
They will. I'm convinced the only reason she wasn't is they changed the way her Confidant worked at some point during development and couldn't figure out a workaround.

Call my cynical but she's the only female Confidant in the game that doesn't get attracted to the MC and I don't think it's because the writers didn't want her to be.

What if Sae was originally set up to be the regular visitor to the coffee shop instead of Akechi? The MC could have impacted her Confident directly and that could have been the original intent to get the "Good" ending.

Oct 25, 2017
What if Sae was originally set up to be the regular visitor to the coffee shop instead of Akechi? The MC could have impacted her Confident directly and that could have been the original intent to get the "Good" ending.
Sounds like a good idea, but I have a hard time believing that was the case since they didn't do that with Akechi either.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT

Is this left over from the early development when the MC lived in a tower with Sae?

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
Then it makes me wonder why they even bothered in the first place.
honey_im_home.png

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Akechi's events are so shallow, and the multiple "surprise" interactions so minor, that I feel like the character simply didn't exist as he's now presented. If you strip out Akechi's appearances at the train station and the coffee shop, it would be weeks between even seeing him (and that would just be TV interviews) -- never mind interacting with the MC. I think this dilemma of needing Akechi in front the MC led to severe rewrites late in the development and pushed producers to cut multiple Sae events to switch them to Akechi events. This late rewrite would mean there would be no voiced lines for most of these events. This would also mean there would be multiple dialogue files and scripts for Sae that never appeared but were left in and then localized. (In programming terms, it would be easier to set a Sae dialogue attached to an Akechi event to 0 volume but still played, than rewrite the event not to play it at all so you can remove the file and have to retest the game at those points. Remember this game was already severely behind schedule.)

Off-hand, but that picture makes so much more sense if it's Sae that is suddenly in the coffee shop when the MC gets back from after-school events. "Honey, I'm home" indeed.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Here I thought Akechi's character couldn't get any worse but now it turns out his very presence might have robbed us of more Sae.