• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think she's going to be the playable character in an alternate storyline. Note she's a first year and the dialogue implies she doesn't believe in the Phantom Thieve's methods.
Indeed. And when I've thought about how they could make another game using the same asset reuse methods as P2:IS > P2:EP or P3 > P4, I always thought about a game taking place within the Persona 5 time frame, but with completely different main characters and conflict.

I don't know how viable this would be since it'd be more work than I was envisioning, but now the thought of a female-lead party which actively opposes the Phantom Thieves comes to mind. My thought is that they would have kept something like that for a Persona 5 Arena.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I find the idea of some kind of side/alternate story to be a lot more appealing than a female version of Joker. That would imply a lot of work though, since I'd imagine we'd need new party members, s.links and so forth..

OP
OP
Android Sophia

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She's definitely got a main character vibe to her. I really am intrigued as to where they're going with this, however.

I find the idea of some kind of side/alternate story to be a lot more appealing than a female version of Joker. That would imply a lot of work though, since I'd imagine we'd need new party members, s.links and so forth..

This isn't as crazy as it sounds like, honestly. They have a foundation already with P5's framework, and they've had three years since the release of Persona 5. It'd be like SMTIV to Apocalypse.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want her to be the main character.

Whether that's as a FeMC or the lead in the side story I don't care either way.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Playing as a different MC with a different party that conflicts with the Phantom Thieves throughout the story would be really neat. It'd be a cool twist on the usual re-release of a mainline game.

Now to wait another month until we see what this thing actually is. Not completely sold on P5R until it's clear just how different it is.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
She's definitely got a main character vibe to her. I really am intrigued as to where they're going with this, however.

This isn't as crazy as it sounds like, honestly. They have a foundation already with P5's framework, and they've had three years since the release of Persona 5. It'd be like SMTIV to Apocalypse.
this is wut i want

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Totally agree that the new character seems to be a new protagonist of some sort. I initially jumped to the conclusion of her being a swap for Joker but thankfully it seems like they're potentially going for a more interesting choice.

My hope is that PR5 is a shorter standalone game as it would be a good chance to mess with the series formula and try out new ideas. I'd also be curious to see a modern Persona game that isn't 70+ hours long.

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if this is going to be more experimental for Persona. Already we have the possibility of a voiced protagonist.

Atlus were hiring for an action game a while back, could be a good time to try out real time combat too.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
This teaser created more questions than answers. It does seem to be a side story with a female protagonist which is indeed very interesting. Instead of creating female alter ego for the main game, they might be giving us a female protagonist with her own story.

Oct 25, 2017
I think its also possible the voice isnt that of the character being shown and they are throwing a curveball.

Odd thing to do, but possible.

Reminded about how the early Persona 5 teaser that first introduced Joker was intended to mislead as to his true nature though.

Has anyone figured out the voice actor yet? Feels like something the internet is usually pretty on top of.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Odd thing to do, but possible.

Reminded about how the early Persona 5 teaser that first introduced Joker was intended to mislead as to his true nature though.

Has anyone figured out the voice actor yet? Feels like something the internet is usually pretty on top of.
I told you in IRC already, it's Aqua from Konosuba, Sora Amamiya..................wait..........Amamiya?

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
This takes place during P5 though so the game will need to be updated to reflect that. It will probably be a combo of P5 with changes to accommodate the interactions with the new character plus her side story.

Or maybe it's all integrated into the main game and she's kinda like Akechi where she's doing her own thing for a while and then eventually joins the party. This is probably more likely.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fan artist quick at work.
tumblr_potsnpiB6B1uhtjdvo4_1280.png

tumblr_potsnpiB6B1uhtjdvo1_1280.png

tumblr_potsnpiB6B1uhtjdvo3_1280.png

tumblr_potsnpiB6B1uhtjdvo2_1280.png

http://arktoons.tumblr.com/post/183651135528/this-joke-has-already-been-said-but-might-as-well

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Hey people, just watched the P5R teaser, I think that the project will be a side story against the Phantom thieves.

Also, I'm still playing the original game and I'm at the end of july, should I be worried about a specific confidant? Trying to get all of them max on the playthrough.

Here are the levels:
Chariot: 6
Lovers: 6
Emperor: 4
Priestess: 2
Moon: 4
Sun: 3
Temperance: 7
Hierophant: 3
Fortune: 4
Death: 7
Strenght: 4

Any advice is welcome!

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Hey people, just watched the P5R teaser, I think that the project will be a side story against the Phantom thieves.

Also, I'm still playing the original game and I'm at the end of july, should I be worried about a specific confidant? Trying to get all of them max on the playthrough.

Here are the levels:
Chariot: 6
Lovers: 6
Emperor: 4
Priestess: 2
Moon: 4
Sun: 3
Temperance: 7
Hierophant: 3
Fortune: 4
Death: 7
Strenght: 4

Any advice is welcome!
Sun becomes unavailable by November so you'll want to complete it before that. Also it's a good idea to max temperence and fortune quickly because their skills can save you a lot of time in the long run.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Sun becomes unavailable by November so you'll want to complete it before that. Also it's a good idea to max temperence and fortune quickly because their skills can save you a lot of time in the long run.
Thanks for the answer, will keep an eye on Sun since I wasn't focused on him that much.
Have read good things about both Temperance and Fortune skills, hoping the later levels aren't tedious to reach.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I wrote up a pretty in depth thread on Twitter explaining why The Answer doesn't ruin Yukari's character if anyone is interested in reading it. It took a lot of work writing it up so I'll appreciate it if anyone does check it out!

Sep 14, 2018
wiill64 great write up! Yukari is my favorite persona character and I liked how the Answer treated her grief and it's resolution. Always nice to see Yukari love out there lol.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Persona noob other than 5, can someone explain what 5R is? A port with some extras, full new story or a total spin off like the dancing games?

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent write-up.
Though I strongly disagree with the point about Mitsuru's support being "what she needs" that that point.
That's not a responsible friend, that's an enabler, and honestly something I'd expect Mitsuru was better than.

Persona noob other than 5, can someone explain what 5R is? A port with some extras, full new story or a total spin off like the dancing games?
We know it is multiple projects. And there is apparently a girl involved. That's it.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
wiill64 great write up! Yukari is my favorite persona character and I liked how the Answer treated her grief and it's resolution. Always nice to see Yukari love out there lol.
Thank you!

A Dead Diehard
I see your point about Mitsuru being an enabler. I do think Yukari needed to know that she wasn't alone at that point but she probably could've done with a slap to snap her out of it like she did to Mitsuru in The Journey. Mitsuru is an excellent support once Yukari breaks down after losing to Aigis though.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you!

A Dead Diehard
I see your point about Mitsuru being an enabler. I do think Yukari needed to know that she wasn't alone at that point but she probably could've done with a slap to snap her out of it like she did to Mitsuru in The Journey. Mitsuru is an excellent support once Yukari breaks down after losing to Aigis though.
Exactly. THAT was the support she needed. Not necessarily a slap, but reassurance. Not telling her how wrong she was like Akihiko.

Oct 25, 2017
honestly, even though a side story or new parallel story would probably be overall better for the series, I think I personally still just want FeMC route for P5.

I want more than basically anything more events during the main story like P4G's, but I also want all new confidant events like P3P. Hell maybe they could also take the opportunity to make yusuke not a piece of shit.

With how little we have so far I came up with 3 most likely not true at all possibilities.

1) New parallel story
2) FeMC joker replacement, however the game starts differently. Maybe the first dungeon has Akechi as a party member and Ryuji, Ann, and Makoto create the phantom thieves without Ren.
2.5) FeMC and this teaser was a curve ball with her comments just because she was talking to Akechi
3) worst case scenario I came up with
this teaser is actually post game, this is a semi sequel scenario and Akechi isn't dead

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I wrote up a pretty in depth thread on Twitter explaining why The Answer doesn't ruin Yukari's character if anyone is interested in reading it. It took a lot of work writing it up so I'll appreciate it if anyone does check it out!

This is a really good write up. The writing for Yukari in The Answer is probably some of my favourite character work in the whole series, it's really cool to see a character basically push back on the message of the main game and do so in a way that's actually in line with her character and also just feels like a believable response in general.

Yukari and Junpei were always my two favourite characters in P3 but the extra development for Yukari in The Answer did a lot to cement her as one of my favourite characters in the whole series.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
This is a really good write up. The writing for Yukari in The Answer is probably some of my favourite character work in the whole series, it's really cool to see a character basically push back on the message of the main game and do so in a way that's actually in line with her character and also just feels like a believable response in general.

Yukari and Junpei were always my two favourite characters in P3 but the extra development for Yukari in The Answer did a lot to cement her as one of my favourite characters in the whole series.
Thank you!
The writing for Yukari in The Answer is what cemented her as my favourite character ever. Having been through something similar myself, I found it so easy to relate to her and understand why she was acting like she did.

Speaking of Junpei, rewatching The Answer again made me appreciate him even more. He is so level-headed and mature throughout The Answer that it's easy to see how much he had grown from the start of The Journey.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you!
The writing for Yukari in The Answer is what cemented her as my favourite character ever. Having been through something similar myself, I found it so easy to relate to her and understand why she was acting like she did.

Speaking of Junpei, rewatching The Answer again made me appreciate him even more. He is so level-headed and mature throughout The Answer that it's easy to see how much he had grown from the start of The Journey.
This is making me think I should watch The Answer again at some point. I only really remember the ending and the Yukari stuff, everything else is just a blur.

I've kept putting off another playthrough of P3 but maybe I'll finally watch all the movies instead and then throw on a rewatch of The Answer just to refresh myself before Q2.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Junpei's one of the more level-headed characters in The Answer. His character growth from The Journey was really apparent there, in a really cool way. I really enjoyed The Answer.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I get really confused whenever I see people talk about The Answer. I remember really enjoying it for what it was and didn't really have any notable issues with it, lol.

daevious

Oct 25, 2017
Will64, thank you so much for typing that out. As someone who always loved Yukari and hated how most fans call her a bitch because of the Answer, I appreciate the work you're doing in getting people to understand what Yukari was going through.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Will64, thank you so much for typing that out. As someone who always loved Yukari and hated how most fans call her a bitch because of the Answer, I appreciate the work you're doing in getting people to understand what Yukari was going through.

I feel like we've been over this a hundred times lol but chalk me up as another one who really enjoyed The Answer and considers Yukari one of his favorite characters.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't dislike Yukari but like Fuuka I don't find a whole lot to particularly like about her either, and I don't think her social link is particularly interesting. If there's a character that get's undeserved hate it's Ken I would say

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The elite Persona characters:

Akihiko, Mitsuru, Kanji, Makoto

And then there's the rest, I'll just leave it like that :P

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks! That thread was something I really wanted to do because of the character tier lists that were being shared on Twitter recently. The timing also fit well with when The Answer takes place and events that happened in my life around the same time.

I don't dislike Yukari but like Fuuka I don't find a whole lot to particularly like about her either, and I don't think her social link is particularly interesting. If there's a character that get's undeserved hate it's Ken I would say
Ken definitely gets a lot of undeserved hate too which is a shame.

daevious

Oct 25, 2017
Ken is really similar to Akechi, right down to
both being Justice-arcana traitors motivated by self-destructive revenge,
so it isn't surprising that both characters get incessantly dogpiled.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Ken wants revenge against one person who he thinks murdered his mother, and even then he can't go through with it, he's nothing like Akechi. I don't know why people would be expecting rational behavior from an 11 year old anyway

Oct 25, 2017
P3 is one of those games where you will more than likely hate one of the cast.
For some, it's Yukari, some Ken, others Fuuka.
For me, it's Akihiko after I mellowed on Aigis.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't hate anyone from P3 currently but I used to not like Yukari very much.

I warmed up to her more around Ultimax though.